August 2, 1979

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: August 2, 1979

As a kid, I never liked Thurman Munson because of the rivalry with Fisk. Back then and even now, I always thought he was somewhat overrated, but that's not to say I thought he was a bad player or anything like that. I respected his talent but thought then and now he wasn't quite as good as others thought.

Even though I was a Red Sox fan and from a fan's standpoint I didn't like him, I was saddened when I heard of his death. It was tragic.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to royf19's comment:

As a kid, I never liked Thurman Munson because of the rivalry with Fisk. Back then and even now, I always thought he was somewhat overrated, but that's not to say I thought he was a bad player or anything like that. I respected his talent but thought then and now he wasn't quite as good as others thought.

Even though I was a Red Sox fan and from a fan's standpoint I didn't like him, I was saddened when I heard of his death. It was tragic.

even though thurman is the main reason as a kid I

turned from a sox fan to a MFY fan

I don't disagree roy

the stats back you up

but he did have that '' it'' thing going for him

kudos to ms-obstinate99 for the thread

like JB said

he died trying to be with his family

not a bad way to go out

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

I remember it well. Touch and go landings are a difficult maneuver for military pilots in jet aircraft.  The Air Force and Navy do it all the time and there are accidents. it was ashame how young he died. Bobby Murcer flew with him once and told the story but was not comfortable with it and did not fly again with him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

In response to ms-obstinate99's comment:

I was just a kid, collecting baseball cards and watching the Red Sox... my favorite players in the day, were the two coolest catchers ...Carlton Fisk and Thurman Munson.

34 Years ago Thurman Munson died in a plane crash.

In 1977, I stopped into a small coffee shop in Holmes Beach, FL.  It was owned by a friend of mine who was originally from New Hampshire and was a Red Sox fan.  He was standing talking to an elderly gentleman and they were in the process of debating who was the best catcher in baseball, Johnny Bench or Thurman Munson.  My friend was backing Bench, the other man, Munson.  Well, naturally I immediately jumped in and championed Carlton Fisk, a bit forcefully I must admit.   The older gentleman did not press the issue and returned to his seat along the breakfast counter.  My friend John was smirking and look like the proverbial 'cat who had swallowed the canary'.  He then asked me 'Do you know who that gentleman is?'  I shrugged and answered 'no'.  He then laid it on me.  "Birdie Tebbetts."

I was totally flabbergasted.  As a kid I had cheered for Birdie at Fenway and now he was an indistinguishable older gentleman living out his retirement on Anna Maria Island. 

Naturally I went over and said hello and conceded that his evaluation was obviously more learned than mine; whereupon he indicated that his point of view might be just a bit biased, in as much as he admitted to working part time and being paid as a scout for the New York Yankees organization.   We had a good laugh and I walked away knowing that I had just met a most gracious gentleman.  And to this day whenever Thurman Munson's name comes up, I think of Birdie and his tribute to Munson as citing him the best catcher of that era.