Average innings per start

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Average innings per start

Does anyone know where to find this statistic? I've been trying to determine how the Red Sox staff looks in this category, and just what we can expect out of the anticipated rotation that Ben is putting together, including the possibility of Cook, Padilla, or Hill included in one or both of the remaining spots.
    I think that most on here can agree that we need the top three to pitch 200 or more innings, and hopefully 4 and 5, to give 125-150.
    Thanks.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Average innings per start

In Response to Re: Average innings per start:
    Beckett 30 starts 193.0 innings   6.4 innings avg. Lester 31 starts 191.2 innings     6.1 avg. Wakefield 23 starts 154.2 innings  6.7 avg. Lackey 28 starts 160.0       5.7 avg. 2 Complete Games all year, Beckett, and Wakefield. This is why it is essential that the Sox work on the BP as much as possible.
    Posted by bobbysu

That's just sad.

Could you imagine a position player like Arod or Pujols playing just long enough to get two atbats and then being replaced for a pitch hitter for the remainder of the game?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

sadly enough, thats probably pretty average in today's baseball.  200 innings is now a milestone when it used to be considered going out and doing your job. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

No doubt this is the aspect of the starting pitching that needs dramatic improvement.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I was really looking at for more than 1 year, a career average, because I know a lot of these guys have been hurt.

Boobysu. Your post is telling when it comes to Wakefield having the most IPs per start.

Perhaps Ben might want to re-think not offering him a contract.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Alas, 17.1 of Wake's innings were in relief, so his average innings per start # was 5.97.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Alas, 17.1 of Wake's innings were in relief, so his average innings per start # was 5.97.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

That is one of the reason I want inning per start, because there is no way of telling fromm most statistical forms of the innings pitched, which are from starts and which are from relief.

How did you determine that for Wake?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I thought throttling back innings for starting pitchers was supposed to keep them healthy.

It turns out pitching LESS innings is bad for their health!!!

They now can retire to the clubhouse for fried chicken and beer as early as the 5th inning ...if they play their cards right.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I thought throttling back innings for starting pitchers was supposed to keep them healthy. It turns out pitching LESS innings is bad for their health!!! They now can retire to the clubhouse for fried chicken and beer as early as the 5th inning ...if they play their cards right.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

i think a lot of that was Francona's philosophy. he was anal about pitch count, which required the BP to carry 12 instead of 11 pitchers.
    Would be nice if we could reduce to 11 and carry an extra position player for the bench.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : That is one of the reason I want inning per start, because there is no way of telling fromm most statistical forms of the innings pitched, which are from starts and which are from relief. How did you determine that for Wake?
    Posted by Alibiike

Go to baseball reference.com Sox page, click pitching splits, click on starters and it will bring up just the IP as a starter. Divide IP by GS.

You can also do this for each individual pitcher by clicking their "splits' and clicking "as starter".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : i think a lot of that was Francona's philosophy. he was anal about pitch count, which required the BP to carry 12 instead of 11 pitchers. Would be nice if we could reduce to 11 and carry an extra position player for the bench.
    Posted by Alibiike

Blame the manager.

I don't recall Pedro , Lowe and Schilling coming out after 5 innings as often as this crew does.

Wasn't Francona manager in 2004? And he had a better bullpen that season, too.

I'd blame Theo or the pitchers themselves before I point at Francona.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : Blame the manager. I don't recall Pedro , Lowe and Schilling coming out after 5 innings as often as this crew does. Wasn't Francona manager in 2004? And he had a better bullpen that season, too. I'd blame Theo or the pitchers themselves before I point at Francona.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

Had not thought of that. Yes, that was before Theo (during his sabbatical) so you may be right that he had influence in using the pitchers sparingly.

I suppose it's becoming more the norm based on statistical analysis and the Kid glove treatment of pitchers these days.
    The days of the "work-horse" seem to be gone.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : Go to baseball reference.com Sox page, click pitching splits, click on starters and it will bring up just the IP as a starter. Divide IP by GS. You can also do this for each individual pitcher by clicking their "splits' and clicking "as starter".
    Posted by moonslav59

Thanks Moon. That makes it easier than trying to go to two or three places.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

By today's standards if the Sox as a staff can average 6 innings per start they will be in good shape if bull-pen developes with their roles. IMO the Sox will still need an arm or two in the pen before season runs out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : Had not thought of that. Yes, that was before Theo (during his sabbatical) so you may be right that he had influence in using the pitchers sparingly. I suppose it's becoming more the norm based on statistical analysis and the Kid glove treatment of pitchers these days. The days of the "work-horse" seem to be gone.
    Posted by Alibiike

That's somewhat true about the kid gloves.  But one other factor is that offenses now seem to focus on getting the pitcher's count up by taking a lot of pitches and fouling off pitches.  The Red Sox and Yankees are two of the prime examples of this and it's part of why their games average about four hours long.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The numbers do indicate there is need for improvement in the Sox starters avg. innings per start. Here's how they stacked up against the top teams in the AL in 2011:

Rays     6.53
    Rangers 6.14
    Tigers   6.12
    Yanks   6.04
    Sox      5.80

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

One thing that might affect the pitcher innings/start is whether or not the team has a 7/8/9 shutdown BP.  Also note that the average of teams shown above is almost equal.   The Rays almost averaged 6 2/3 innings while the Rangers, Tigers and Yanks only managed 6 innings.  All this shows is that on the average each of the clubs had to reach into their BP in the 7th inning which is pretty hard to believe or shows a definite need to place a lot more emphasis on BP pitchers.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One of the reasons managers rely so much on pitch counts now is that the number-crunchers have shown that most starters lose effectiveness after around 100-110 pitches.

This year's World Series was a prime example of where today's game is.  There was only one pitcher on either team who could be called a horse (Carpenter).  The rest of them were just trying to get through six innings.  Larussa and Washington were itching to get the starters out of there at the right moment and get into their deep bullpens which they had all lined up. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

If the Sox want their starters to get more innings per start they are going to have to be more agressive...these guys are consistently near 100 pitches in 5 innings.....even on games where they are pitching a great game and have alowwed very few hits/runs.....it seems the norm for them to bring every batter to a 2-2, 3-2 count....the pitchers on this team need to realize that the defense behind them is pretty good, while maybe not fantastic.....pitch to the large part of the field and be aggresive. Alot of this pitchers mentality can be attributed to the Steroid era, where so many, even little guys were hitting HRs to the opposite field...well hopefully that is less the case today.....throw 1st pitch strikes and get ahead in the count and then dont nibble your way back to a full count.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : That is one of the reason I want inning per start, because there is no way of telling fromm most statistical forms of the innings pitched, which are from starts and which are from relief. How did you determine that for Wake?
    Posted by Alibiike

Here is page at Baseballreference.com that will give you the IP/GS for each AL team, along with the league average and IP/GS for each individual pitcher, if you want an easy way to compare Red Sox pitchers with all others.  There are many other interesting stats listed as well.

Also, if you click on pitching, you can find just about every pitching stat you could want.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/AL/2011-starter-pitching.shtml

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Maybe it was just my imagination, but it seems like our starters were having a hard time getting into a rhythm early in the game.  It seems like every time I looked up, our starters threw in the neighborhood of 25 (or more)  pitches in the first inning, thereby forcing an earlier than hoped for exit.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The numbers do indicate there is need for improvement in the Sox starters avg. innings per start. Here's how they stacked up against the top teams in the AL in 2011: Rays     6.53 Rangers 6.14 Tigers   6.12 Yanks   6.04 Sox      5.80
    Posted by devildavid

An interesting point is that Wake averaged 5.97, and yet posters dumped on him for "taxing our pen". He was above average and better than every other Sox starter, except Beckett and Lester.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Average innings per start : That's just sad. Could you imagine a position player like Arod or Pujols playing just long enough to get two atbats and then being replaced for a pitch hitter for the remainder of the game?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

6 innings per start is hardly a rarity.

Last year, only 6 pitchers in the American League averaged 7 innings per start: Verlander, Shields, Sabathia, Weaver, Hernandez and Romero. 

Dan Haren (6.98IP/start) was probably close enough to be included as well...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

MLB average innings per starts was just over 6 innings (6.02).  Philly lead the league with 6.57 while the O's were the worst in baseball with a 5.44 average.  Boston ranked 25th out of 30 with a 5.80 average.  We're talking about roughly 1 1/3 inning of extra bullpen work per week over the course of the season compared to league average.

Sections
Shortcuts