Aviles and Salty

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Aviles and Salty

Here are two guys who haven't gotten a lot of credit (the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many), but how hot are they right now?

If they continue on a pace for roughly 25 HR and 100 RBI each, the Sox will have some legitimate SS and catching depth to trade from at the deadline or this winter. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Re: Aviles and Salty

With Wieters cooling off of late, and Pierzynski just generally a jerk, Salty might get my All-Star vote.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here are two guys who haven't gotten a lot of credit (the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many), but how hot are they right now?

Maybe the pressure of Iggy and Lava helped them focus better and produce as much as they have thus far.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

They were both big today.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles and Salty:
    [QUOTE]Here are two guys who haven't gotten a lot of credit (the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many), but how hot are they right now? Maybe the pressure of Iggy and Lava helped them focus better and produce as much as they have thus far.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Frankly, I doubt it, Moon.  IMO, better to think that they are both concentrating on their game without much interest in Pawtucket. Both always work hard and try to improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

It has been nice to see both of them do so well.

Several have taken note of Salty's progress and I think that is great.  In both ways, that he's doing so well and that there are those who have taken time to post positive things about him.

Aviles  cooled off for a little while, but he has gotten hot again.  He's almost given us more power in 6 weeks at SS than we have had in whole seasons since the departure of Nomah.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Here are two guys who haven't gotten a lot of credit (the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many), but how hot are they right now? Maybe the pressure of Iggy and Lava helped them focus better and produce as much as they have thus far.

That is my real candidate for Post of the Year, Mr. Moon.  Genius.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

(the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many),

You don't hear so very much from those posters anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Never wanted Iggy up (pro-Aviles), wanted and still want Lava as sc, glad Salty doing well and increasing his trade value, like him personally, just like Lavas upside as a player more.  Nats want catching & have been scouting us from what I hear.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Never wanted Iggy up (pro-Aviles), wanted and still want Lava as sc, glad Salty doing well and increasing his trade value, like him personally, just like Lavas upside as a player more.  Nats want catching & have been scouting us from what I hear.
    Posted by soxnewmex[/QUOTE]
    How about Salty's performance value -- to the Red Sox.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]With Wieters cooling off of late, and Pierzynski just generally a jerk, Salty might get my All-Star vote.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

To be fair to Pierzynski, he is probably one of the mopst public players in all of MLB, and certainly one of the most media friendly.   He is loved by one of the sports stations in Chicago, and hated by the other.  It is probably worth noting that the drive guys on WSCR hate everybody, so hating AJ is not a big surprise for them.

I've herd Pierzynski on the radio thousands of thimes, and I find it hard to believe he hever got the bad reputation to begin with.  He mioght be a jerk in ral life, but he certainly knows how not to come across as one.

We had that other catcher in town who did that.  Michael Barrett was about as unpleasant as they come...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles and Salty:
    Never wanted Iggy up (pro-Aviles), wanted and still want Lava as sc, glad Salty doing well and increasing his trade value, like him personally, just like Lavas upside as a player more.  Nats want catching & have been scouting us from what I hear.
    Posted by soxnewmex
    How about Salty's performance value -- to the Red Sox.

It's improving by the hour. He did lose one in the sun and let a throw get behind him today, but no harm- no foul. He handled Beckett very well. A lot of the hits were cheapies.

It was also nice to see him rock a LHPs deep.

I'm beginning to think we should look to trade Lava. Salty's back-up should be one who hits LHPs much better. (I'm not saying give Lava away, but Salty is turning me into a believer.)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Aviles and Salty : Never wanted Iggy up (pro-Aviles), wanted and still want Lava as sc, glad Salty doing well and increasing his trade value, like him personally, just like Lavas upside as a player more.  Nats want catching & have been scouting us from what I hear. Posted by soxnewmex How about Salty's performance value -- to the Red Sox. It's improving by the hour. He did lose one in the sun and let a throw get behind him today, but no harm- no foul. He handled Beckett very well. A lot of the hits were cheapies. It was also nice to see him rock a LHPs deep. I'm beginning to think we should look to trade Lava. Salty's back-up should be one who hits LHPs much better. (I'm not saying give Lava away, but Salty is turning me into a believer.)
    No excuses, but I think Salty did not expect the throw ( it should have gone to second ), and then probably expected it to be cut off. Did he yell "cut it"? I don't know. Funny, he blocked many pitches in the dirt, but let the throw get away.
    Naw, he was just faking the sun to see if a pitcher could actually catch a pop-up. I once saw a catcher get hit right on top of the head by a ball he lost in the sun. It nearly KOed him.
    That job ain't for sissies.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

That's what makes me hesitate about Salty, inconsistent.  Right now he's in a hot streak offensively, and he did that for a while last season too, but finished miserably.  Defensively, I'm glad his mis-steps didn't cost us yesterday, but he's generally shaky on throws to the plate.  When he's hitting and playing reasonably well behind the plate, a person feels pretty good about him back  there & in the line-up; but a month later he's not hitting at all and the throw home misses his glove and carooms off the back-stop and everyone is calling for his head.  Who knows, maybe he's turned a corner this time, and he'll develop into the catcher Theo & others have at one time or another believed he would become.  Hope it's true.  Even if it turns out to true though, would rather they trade Salty than Lava if they trade one.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

Salty's HR was estimated at 466 ft.yesterday, a BOMB

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

I know Salty can be a good every day catcher, but sometime it is all about his mentally.  If Boston ever want to trade away catcher to make a room for Lavarnway, it is going to be Shoppach!!!.  

But like I said it on the other topic, why the world Boston want to mess up the 25 man roster if they are now playing well at the same time they won so many games in the past two weeks.

If Boston do well against three teams in the next 10 days span, then I wouldnt dare to make any roster move except players coming off of the DL.  

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

The problem with keeping Salty is control - if he is indeed an .850+ OPS catcher with average defensive skills he won't be cheap to extend, and we only have team control over him for one more year.  We have Lavarnway through 2017. 

Also, one very deep HR is not enough to convince me Salty can hit LHP, but it always puzzled me that he would not be able to hit from his natural side of the plate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to  Re: Aviles and Salty : Never wanted Iggy up (pro-Aviles), wanted and still want Lava as sc, glad Salty doing well and increasing his trade value, like him personally, just like Lavas upside as a player more.  Nats want catching & have been scouting us from what I hear. Posted by soxnewmex How about Salty's performance value -- to the Red Sox. It's improving by the hour. He did lose one in the sun and let a throw get behind him today, but no harm- no foul. He handled Beckett very well. A lot of the hits were cheapies. It was also nice to see him rock a LHPs deep. I'm beginning to think we should look to trade Lava. Salty's back-up should be one who hits LHPs much better. (I'm not saying give Lava away, but Salty is turning me into a believer.)

Wouldnt trade Lava....Moon......I think he will hit LHP better than Shopp and we cant expect Papi to go on forever....Lava could fit a the DH role and catch against LHP for Salty....of course we would still need to carry a backup catcher so we wouldnt lose the DH, but he is too good of a hitter with too much upside for me to want to see him go. I will hedge that and say unless he is part of a deal for a #1 Ace starter....to me that is the one piece on this team which would significantly improve our chances to win this year....because despite how good Lester and Beckett can be they are both solid #2's not aces....too inconsistent for both of them and not enough deep into the games.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Wouldnt trade Lava....Moon......I think he will hit LHP better than Shopp and we cant expect Papi to go on forever....Lava could fit a the DH role and catch against LHP for Salty

I agree, but think papi will be back in 2013. Salty is a FA after that.

....of course we would still need to carry a backup catcher so we wouldnt lose the DH, but he is too good of a hitter with too much upside for me to want to see him go. 

How many times do you NEED to replace your catcher mid-game? Not enough to warrant a 3rd catcher. If a catcher gets hurt and we need to lose the DH for aprt of a game, the loss is not greater than wasting a roster spot of a 3rd catcher. Besides, having Lava and Salty probably means we'd never need to PH for one or the other.

I will hedge that and say unless he is part of a deal for a #1 Ace starter....to me that is the one piece on this team which would significantly improve our chances to win this year....because despite how good Lester and Beckett can be they are both solid #2's not aces....too inconsistent for both of them and not enough deep into the games.

I agree, but might trade him (and others) for a top #2 guy as well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

moon, do you think not having the pressure of catching Wakefield has helped Salty? I do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

[QUOTE]moon, do you think not having the pressure of catching Wakefield has helped Salty? I do.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Very true!!!  That is why I say that Salty shouldnt be trade yet.  Let him play a full year, and see how he goes.  If he does badly at the end, then Salty can be trade during the off season!!! simple.

Right now they are playing well, and leave the team alone!!!!  Only Youkilis and Melancon is due to come off of DL.  Boston will more likely send back Lin to the minor league and then probably designate Prunto.  That is not hard decision to make.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Good post.  I think that sometimes people forget that we are a big market team.  Big market teams only call people up when they have to.

We havent needed to call Iggy up and we havent needed to call Lava up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

If they keep up this pace ( which I do not expect but just for the sake of pointing out how productive they both have been)  Aviles is projected by ESPN for 32 homers and 107 RBI while Salty is projected for 28 homers and 75 RBI.  

That is insane production thus far from  your SS and catcher.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Aviles and Salty:
    [QUOTE]Here are two guys who haven't gotten a lot of credit (the demands for Iglesias and Lavarnway to be called up have been loud and many), but how hot are they right now? If they continue on a pace for roughly 25 HR and 100 RBI each, the Sox will have some legitimate SS and catching depth to trade from at the deadline or this winter. 
    Posted by Flapjack07[/QUOTE]

We have to give Aviles and Salty a lot of credit, especially Salty for trying to lead by example and giving our staff confidence in him.  This may be the maturing point in his career everyone has been waiting for.  I would love to see Lav get his chance but its nice to have them both if Salty keeps producing. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moon, do you think not having the pressure of catching Wakefield has helped Salty?

Probably, yes. Catching Wake could not have helped his confidence.

Sections
Shortcuts