Aviles vs Scutaro

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Aviles vs Scutaro

Early returns:

Aviles is 2nd in MLB at SS with a .930 OPS.

Scutaro is 19th in MLB at 2B with a  .573 OPS.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Re: Aviles vs Scutaro

In Response to Aviles vs Scutaro:
    [QUOTE]Early returns: Aviles is 2nd in MLB at SS with a .930 OPS. Scutaro is 19th in MLB at 2B with a  .573 OPS.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Has anyone kept track of the balls that Aviles hasn't made a play on that Iggy would have made a play on? 
    How many hits has Aviles had that Iggy wouldn't have?  Defense is important, but you can't win games if you can't score..   Zero to zero isn't a win.
    I'd take Aviles over Iggy this year and in the future also. I wonder what the market value would be for Iggy?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Predictable and predicted by many, Tom.  It wasn't a real brain-teaser, was it?

While I also prefer(red) Aviles over Iggy, I don't/didn't think it's as easy a decision as Aviles over Scoot.  That was always a no-brainer.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Aviles vs Scutaro:
    [QUOTE]Early returns: Aviles is 2nd in MLB at SS with a .930 OPS. Scutaro is 19th in MLB at 2B with a  .573 OPS.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

But Scutaro isnt play SS for Colorado.  He is the starting 2B.

Did Aviles make 3 errors at the SS where Boston only had team's total of 6 errors of the season.  Fewest in major league.  But Aviles is the second leading in AL for most error.

Cant have SS making that much errors!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Iggy also has 3 errors.  Neither player is likely to end up the year with 30+ errors.  This is a small sample size.  Fact is, Aviles is a better option over Scutaro, both offensively and defensively (Colorado moved him to 2B due to his shoulder and poor throwing).  Aviles is probably average defensively, and may well end up well above average offensively.  The Sox have historically preferred that.  If Iggy can bring in a good young reliever (or even a Grant Balfour), I'd do it.  Bogaerts is the SS of the future, IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Aviles vs. Scutaro vs. Iggy does not exist as an issue and never did.

It was always two seperate issues:
    • 37 yo utility IF with good bat and bad arm for $6m vs 31 yo utility IF with good bat for $1.2m - a total no-brainer!
    and:
    • good bat utility IF vs no bat, great glove Iggy.  I think Aviles has been a very good decision thus far.
    These issues must not be conflated!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Yes, if Mike and Scoot turned out to be a wash, the money saved helped us sign Ross and take on Bailey and Sweeney's salaries.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles vs Scutaro:
    [QUOTE]Yes, if Mike and Scoot turned out to be a wash, the money saved helped us sign Ross and take on Bailey and Sweeney's salaries.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Concur.  As you imply, kudos to the front office. 

Relatedly, we all have said Ben should have gone after a starter.  But right now it looks as though the Sox have a surfeit of starters--none of them all that good, granted--and that the biggest problem is the bullpen, which is where Cherington did make two big moves, Melancon and Bailey, neither of which has paid off. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Look, I loved the job Scutaro did while in Boston and hated to see him go, but I always thought that in the end, Aviles for Scutaro would be an wash offensively and defensively, and the one advantage I think AViles has at SS is a stronger arm.

So far, it's been a good decision. Aviles has helped right now more than Iggy would have, and it gives Iggy more time to become a major league hitter.

It does seem to be a good decision for the Sox, and another example why we should be wary in the rush to judgement.

For all the criticism Cherrington and FO has received for what they did in the offseason, Ross, Sweeney and keeping Aviles over Scutaro sure looks good right now. And even the Byrd pickup looks good.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles vs Scutaro : Concur.  As you imply, kudos to the front office.  Relatedly, we all have said Ben should have gone after a starter.  But right now it looks as though the Sox have a surfeit of starters--none of them all that good, granted--and that the biggest problem is the bullpen, which is where Cherington did make two big moves, Melancon and Bailey, neither of which has paid off. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

The funny thing about the criticism of not going out for a starter is this. Fans have praised the Rays for having all those home-grown starters and rip the Sox for FAs like Lackey.

So the Sox put Bard and Doubront in the rotation, which would give them four home-grown starters, yet there's still the criticism of not going for a starter.

I have questioned whether Bard can hack it as a starter because of his experience in the minor league. But looking at what Bard did in his last start, if he has another great start, I'd still consider keeping in the rotation.

I know the bullpen has been a struggle, but I don't think it will stay as bad as it has been. Melancon (sp?) has pitched well in Pawtucket, and there might be other arms down there.

If Bard really can be a top starter, they're hard to find, so I'd hate to move him from there. With Bailey coming back later in the year, maybe sacrificing the short term for the long term might be the best rout.

I just don't think either choice with Bard is a no-brainer.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Nice post Roy.  I wonder what the perception of the FO would be if Aceves and either Melancon or Bailey (pick one) were pitching to their career averages right now.  Or if Buchholz didn't have an ERA at 9.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Nice post Roy.  I wonder what the perception of the FO would be if Aceves and either Melancon or Bailey (pick one) were pitching to their career averages right now.  Or if Buchholz didn't have an ERA at 9.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

No one should be looking at a pitcher's ERA in April.

One or two bad games can ruin your ERA early in the season.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles vs Scutaro : No one should be looking at a pitcher's ERA in April. One or two bad games can ruin your ERA early in the season.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Understood and agreed.  My point was that if Melancon and Ace hadn't had epic meltdowns we would probably be 8-8 right now and people would be considerably more calm.  If you add to that Buch being at least mediocre in his first start ... well  you see where I am going with this.

Sections
Shortcuts