Aviles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Aviles

Is responsible for all 4 runs so far. He has no business at SS. Bring Iggy up now!!!!!!!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Re: Aviles

In response to "Re: Aviles": [QUOTE]Thanks, Alibiike / Harv53 / Bill-806 . You guys are very important to the forum. Posted by Calzone65[/QUOTE] Your most welcome.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

It is a little sad they haven't tried something else.  It's one thing to play himto bolster some confidence, but everyone knew frm day one this guy was a stopgap shortstop at best...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

the guy has played his heart out and was up for the challenge...but ss is so demanding....why couldnt we have kept scutaro/aviles and platooned them...was the 6 mil - Punto's salary really burning Ben's pocket that badly???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles:
    [QUOTE]It is a little sad they haven't tried something else.  It's one thing to play himto bolster some confidence, but everyone knew frm day one this guy was a stopgap shortstop at best...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

He had two years with KC that he hit over 300 and started out great this year, but it does appear that he isn't coming out of this two month drop off anytime soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im thinking that making Aviles the starting shortstop was like making a teams 3rd wide reciever the starting halfback...

anyways - point is the guy really cant be blamed - he has done well for what he is

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Aviles:
    [QUOTE]Is responsible for all 4 runs so far. He has no business at SS. Bring Iggy up now!!!!!!!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ike, two questions:
    • How many games have you physically been at to watch Iggy play?
    • How many games have you watched him play on telly?

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Aviles was just a stop gap SS because the Sox were too cheap to pay Scutaro for another year.  They got what they paid for. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]but everyone knew frm day one this guy was a stopgap shortstop at best... No, in fact, I was alone in calling Aviles a minor league OBP and fielding butcher.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

No you weren't. Tons of people were.  Also it wasn't an issue of how good Aviles was, it was whether iggy was ready.  Which he still isn't.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]No, tons of people doesn't exist. You were the head cheerleader on the overloaded Board Aviles is good bandwagon. Aviles has never been ready, and when you put a bum as the everyday SS it is about how good Aviles is. Iggy is ready, compared to the bum.

I still don't think Iggy is ready to be a Ml shortstop. Neither do the Red sox. He has a 584 OPS at Pawrtucket. not a typo.  584.  at AAA.  He has 6, count them 6, extra base hits in 263 at bats.

Aviles started off great and now he has leveled off.  

A lof of people in spring training didn't like Aviles. Not just you. Ike, and geo and bill put up posts about it just about every day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles was just a stop gap SS because the Sox were too cheap to pay Scutaro for another year.  They got what they paid for. 
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

They dealt Scutaro and then signed Ross.  I have no problem with that.

They have a payroll north of $170mill,and have always had one in the top 5 in the league for the entire time they have owned the team.  No matter how often Sox fans whine about, they really have never been cheap with this team.

If you are going ot be one of those people, and I'm not saying you are just yet, but don't be one of those whiners who gets upset because John Henry spends money on NASCAR, soccer and yachts or his new wife, or the Elephant man's bones or whatever.  He certainly spends enough on the Red Sox regardless of his other frivolities. 

Those who don't like it are free to make a billion dollars in the commodities market and purchase the team from him...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]It is a little sad they haven't tried something else.  It's one thing to play himto bolster some confidence, but everyone knew frm day one this guy was a stopgap shortstop at best...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Aviles WAR  9th in MLB at SS

WAR

Aviles       1.9
    Salty        1.7
    Pedroia     1.5
    AGon        1.2
    Youk         0.8
    Scutaro     0.7

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : Aviles WAR   9th in MLB at SS             WAR Aviles       1.9 Salty        1.7 Pedroia     1.5 AGon        1.2 Youk         0.8 Scutaro     0.7
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

WAR?  Aarrgghh, new concepts are frightening due to their unfamiliarity and my unwillingness to learn.  What's Aviles' W-L record?  If W-L record was good enough for Mordecai "Three Fingers" Brown, it's good enough for me and my future grandchildren.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Avles has good defensive metrics and is cheap and under control for several more years. I'd prefer if he were our infield back up but he is of good value. i looked into having him be a trade chip just yesterday but I think we should keep him. He's a good value for the cash he's making. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to "Re: Aviles": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : I still don't think Iggy is ready to be a Ml shortstop. Neither do the Red sox. He has a 584 OPS at Pawrtucket. not a typo.  584.  at AAA.  He has 6, count them 6, extra base hits in 263 at bats. Aviles started off great and now he has leveled off.   A lof of people in spring training didn't like Aviles. Not just you. Ike, and geo and bill put up posts about it just about every day. Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE] I like Aviles. Just not as a SS. Before they called up WMB, I wanted him at 3rd, then in LF. That turn on the DP last night was slow-mo, at my age I think I could have done it quicker. I've seen Aviles make some real nice plays but he is not a smart SS and he has to rely too much on his strong arm instead because he is not quick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

We've got too much money tied up in Theo's failures.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from never1954. Show never1954's posts

BC will talk the talk for the rest of this year.  Maybe we will get to see some of the young blood when they expand the roster.  Probably not until.  As for being tied up with Theo's failures....absolutely true but compounding that crap with bigger crap and BS isn't the answer.  Aviles is the stop gap and everyone knows it but he isn't the reason the RS are where they are and Iggy isn't the answer.  This team needs to look in the mirror and decide to play ball for pride.  They already have way to much money.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Everyone knew that Aviles was not the greatest fielding shortstop on the 40 man roster, but since he would hit better than Iglesius he started the season in Boston and Iglesius started in Pawtucket.

Nothing wrong with that concept, and Aviles has been about as good as he has been able to be.  He certainly has hit better in the majors than Iglesius has at AAA.

The year long team frustration cannot be put entirely on his shoulders even if he did not have a good game last night.

The question will continue to be--is the glove better than the bat at SS?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

For the first time all year, I AGREE!!!!!!!!!
    In Response to Aviles:
    [QUOTE]Is responsible for all 4 runs so far. He has no business at SS. Bring Iggy up now!!!!!!!
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not only did trading Scutaro allow us to sign Ross and pick up a nice promising pitcher in Mortensen, but think about this geo:

if we kept Scutaro and Aviles, once Youk got hurt, one of them would have played 3B instead of Middlebrooks.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]Aviles started off great and now he has leveled off.   Aviles has always been a butcher in the field. He never started off great. He's always been below level. A lof of people in spring training didn't like Aviles. Not just you. Ike, and geo and bill put up posts about it just about every day. A lot of people wasn't 3 people, and they weren't calling him the butcher that he is. I can't stand the bum, he's a UIF'er who needs to be traded because he's worth more in trade than what he'd do as a UIF'er. He has this attitude like he's earned the spot, but he is a total joke when it comes to making the defensive plays that the position requires. He will never cut it as an everyday player when the tipping point game moments end up on his doorstep.

For some odd reason said you were the "only" person on the board who didn't like Aviles.  I just brought up 3 off the top of my head to make the point that you were full of it.

The issue was around who was better for the Red Sox this year , Aviles or Iggy.  As I said Iggy at AAA has a 580 OPS with 6 extra base hits in 267 at bats.  Which is as you know, horrific.

If the Red Sox need a new SS it isn't going to be Iggy. 

Sections
Shortcuts