Aviles

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Aviles

moon...someone would have been called up regardless to fill out the roster and why is it scutaro's salary that purchased Ross? wouldnt it make more sense that JD's salary and outfield vacancy purchased Ross????
    talk about senseless spin

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

2012  Avg AL SS  .253 /  .304 / .364
    Aviles w/ Sox      .268 /  .291 /  .407

2012 UZR rank SS MLB  3rd

Scutaro away from Coors:  .238 /  .278 / .292

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles:
    [QUOTE]If the Red Sox need a new SS it isn't going to be Iggy.  The Red Sox need a new SS, and it will never be the bum Aviles.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's cool.

As long as we agree that you changed your mind about iggy.  Because he sure wasn't ready.  

So I guess he is whatever one would consider beneath a bum.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheRedStain. Show TheRedStain's posts

[QUOTE]For the first time all year, I AGREE!!!!!!!!! In Response to Aviles :
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]

If the front office thought Iggy was their SS of the future, why did they just draft a SS FIRST?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Another Cherrington decision. This has been part of the problem with his decisions as well. Wasn't Cherrington the guy who made that horrible trade of Renteria to Atlanta for Andy zno hit Marte as well where we paid Renteria's salary to play for another team? n response to "Aviles": [QUOTE]Is responsible for all 4 runs so far. He has no business at SS. Bring Iggy up now!!!!!!! Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]As long as we agree that you changed your mind about iggy No, I haven't changed my mind that Iggy was a far better option than the bum, Aviles. I'm glad you now are a rat running off the sinking Aviles bandwagon, where you were once the #1 cheerleader.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

No I am saying the same thing as back then. That he is a better choice than Iggy and that Iggy wasn't ready.  

I am also saying that he hasn't been performing well as of late, and when I was commenting on his performance earlier he was playing much better.

I do think it's odd that you don't think you can ever be wrong.  It is the biggest reason among many that you seem insane.

If you want me to be like you and never back off any statement of opinion I have ever made that isn't going to happen.  That would make me nuts.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]2012  Avg AL SS  .253 /  .304 / .364 Aviles w/ Sox      .268 /  .291 /  .407 2012 UZR rank SS MLB  3rd Scutaro away from Coors:   .238 /  .278 / .292
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

This illustrates the problem with UZR; would it take into account the flubbed DP yesterday? What about what your own eyes tell fans otherwise? Does it take into account specialty situations (such as relays, bunts, revolving plays, backing up bases etc)

Better question: Why is Ciriaco the DH today? He looks terrific in the field, and reminds me a little of Aparicio.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]We've got too much money tied up in Theo's failures.
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

Way to bottom line it!!

Scutaro was a horrible SS, worse than Aviles.  The Red Sox were lucky to unload Scutaro and Mortenson actually was a good return.

The inability of the Red Sox to have a long term answer at SS, going on 8 years now, is pathetic.  A near decade long mix of Theo big contract blunders or stop gaps that are not ML quality SS's.  Aviles, Scutaro, Nick Green.  At least Alex Gonzalez had a great glove....

One of the 2 most important defensive positions and a 170 million dollar payroll and for the last 3 years the Red Sox primary SS's have been guys who aren't even true SS's..... Pathetic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

scutaro was a decnt, steady, hard playing ss...anyone who says otherwise is lying or wasnt watch too closely...he was the last guy who needed to be bounced from the team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : Way to bottom line it!! Scutaro was a horrible SS, worse than Aviles.  The Red Sox were lucky to unload Scutaro and Mortenson actually was a good return. The inability of the Red Sox to have a long term answer at SS, going on 8 years now, is pathetic.  A near decade long mix of Theo big contract blunders or stop gaps that are not ML quality SS's.  Aviles, Scutaro, Nick Green.  At least Alex Gonzalez had a great glove.... One of the 2 most important defensive positions and a 170 million dollar payroll and for the last 3 years the Red Sox primary SS's have been guys who aren't even true SS's..... Pathetic.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

You forgot Lugo & Offerman

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]scutaro was a decnt, steady, hard playing ss...anyone who says otherwise is lying or wasnt watch too closely...he was the last guy who needed to be bounced from the team
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Scutaro was a career utility player until Toronto gave him the SS job in 2009.  Decent, steady and hard playing.... OK, I'll give you those but for a SS he had average range at best and a 2nd basemen's arm, at best.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]scutaro was a decnt, steady, hard playing ss...anyone who says otherwise is lying or wasnt watch too closely...he was the last guy who needed to be bounced from the team
    I agree. My only problem with Scutaro was his arm, which I think is the one edge Aviles has over him. Aviles has a pretty good arm.

Aviles has done a good job, however. Every SS is going to make some errors and misplay some balls, but IMO, he's been above average. But because so many have a fixation (I was going to use a different term) for Iglesius, a guy who has yet to stay healhty in the minors for an entire season, every little misplay by Aviles gets pounced on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : You forgot Lugo & Offerman
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Lugo is included under "Theo big contract blunders"

Offerman was a 2nd basemen. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : I agree. My only problem with Scutaro was his arm, which I think is the one edge Aviles has over him. Aviles has a pretty good arm. Aviles has done a good job, however. Every SS is going to make some errors and misplay some balls, but IMO, he's been above average. But because so many have a fixation (I was going to use a different term) for Iglesius, a guy who has yet to stay healhty in the minors for an entire season, every little misplay by Aviles gets pounced on.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

i like aviles too..but he does not have great ss instincts (yesterday's flubbed footwork exhibit 1)....he does have a cannon...but scoot was a decent hitter himself for the sox...and these guys are NOT the problem...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : i like aviles too..but he does not have great ss instincts (yesterday's flubbed footwork exhibit 1)....he does have a cannon...but scoot was a decent hitter himself for the sox...and these guys are NOT the problem...

I disagree.  I think playing guys out of position at SS for 100+ games a year is a HUGE problem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : I disagree.  I think playing guys out of position at SS for 100+ games a year is a HUGE problem.
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

aviles is better than lugo &  renteria....agreed?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : aviles is better than lugo &  renteria....agreed?

Better than they were in Red Sox uniforms.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

SS was not a priority for the Red Sox FO this year.

There was no way Iggy was ready (he still isn't) and Aviles has been average as the starter.  Despite him slowing down he still projects for 16 homers, 83 RBI and 16 steals.  Can't argue with that from a SS a whole lot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]SS was not a priority for the Red Sox FO this year. There was no way Iggy was ready (he still isn't) and Aviles has been average as the starter.  Despite him slowing down he still projects for 16 homers, 83 RBI and 16 steals.  Can't argue with that from a SS a whole lot.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]
    This is a fair assessment. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]SS was not a priority for the Red Sox FO this year. There was no way Iggy was ready (he still isn't) and Aviles has been average as the starter.  Despite him slowing down he still projects for 16 homers, 83 RBI and 16 steals.  Can't argue with that from a SS a whole lot.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

When it comes to up the middle positions, defense is far more important.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : When it comes to up the middle positions, defense is far more important.

This is true.  And when i comes to being a ML player one has to do better than a 580 OPS and 6 extra bases hits in 267 At bats at AAA which is iggy's line.

Which is why Aviles starts. Because the Red Sox have no one else.

I would understand if they gave the job to Ciriaco.  But iggy sure hasn't earned it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : This illustrates the problem with UZR; would it take into account the flubbed DP yesterday? What about what your own eyes tell fans otherwise? Does it take into account specialty situations (such as relays, bunts, revolving plays, backing up bases etc) Better question: Why is Ciriaco the DH today? He looks terrific in the field, and reminds me a little of Aparicio.

Ignorance is no excuse.  

GDP and Arm

Double plays are treated the same as a single out. There is a separate calculation for GDP’s above or below average, based simply on the number of DP’s turned per DP opportunity, given the speed and location of the ground ball.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : Ignorance is no excuse.   GDP and Arm Double plays are treated the same as a single out. There is a separate calculation for GDP’s above or below average, based simply on the number of DP’s turned per DP opportunity, given the speed and location of the ground ball.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I feel so much better about this measure.

Sections
Shortcuts