Aviles

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Aviles

Funny how they play Ciriaco at DH and Aviles at SS.

Funny how Aviles has a 4.8 RF/9 this year.

Funny how Lugo had a 4.21, 3.70, and 4.04 RF/9 with the Sox and was lauded by softy for having "great range".

Funny how Aviles has just 12 errors in 99 games at SS for the Sox, and Julio had 42 in 268 games, but softy calls Mike "stone hands" and "statue".

Funny how Mike is one of the few Sox players who has a higher OPS Late & Close than otherwise this year, but softy whines about timely hitting.
    Aviles .720 Late & Close (2Hrs & 6 RBIs) and .678 overall.
    Ortiz   .697 Late & Close (0 HRs & 2 RBIs) and 1.024 overall. 
    But, making a point about Papi's struggles in the clutch will bring down the racism wrath from the silly clown.

Funny how 51 RBIs from our SS (2nd in MLB) is ignored by many.

Funny how posters cry about our struggles vs LHPs, but ignore that out of all MLB SS's with 100+ PAs vs LHPs this year, Aviles places 1st in HRs with 5, 2nd in Slg% at .477, 2nd in RBIs with 14, and 3rd in OPS at .810. Mike actually rates 36th out of 191 of all MLB batters (all positions) vs LHPs with 5 Hrs and 60th out of 191 with 14 RBIs.

Funny how posters complain about our road struggles, but ignore the fact that Aviles has the most road HRs by a SS (6) and the 9th best away SS OPs at .702.

Funny how softy wanted HanRam last year and in 2010, but not a peep about that call these days.

I'll admit I wanted Iggy to be our starting SS this spring. I'll admit, I claimed Mike had limited range at SS, but he has proven me wrong this year. He has shown decent range, made some fantastic plays, and has done better than most MLB SS's on offense in almost all significant categories, except OBP where he rates 21st.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

snipets show Papi has 0 Hrs and just 2 RBIs in Late & Close PAs. His BA is .243.
    (Plate Appearances in the 7th or later with the batting team tied, ahead by one, or the tying run at least on deck.)

Papi has had 50 PAs in Late & Close situations this year. That's 1 to 49 more PAs than many of your sample sizes used to bash one of your hated Sox players.

You can be sure if Jake had those numbers you'd say they were significant.

I'm not saying Mike is better than Papi, just because I put their stats side-by-side. You often jump to erroeus judgements about the point someone is making. I'll take Papi up to bat anyday of the week over Mikey. My point was that Mikey is doing well or better than most other Sox players this year in areas you have complained excessively about all year long.

Stop constructing false positions of other posters and spending time arguing against strawmen.

Mike has shown very decent range this year, made some nifty plays with the glove, and if you actually bothered to watch the games, you'd see for yourself he has done much better than Lugo and Renteria during their time in Boston. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Aviles:
    [QUOTE]If the Red Sox need a new SS it isn't going to be Iggy.  The Red Sox need a new SS, and it will never be the bum Aviles.
    Posted by TrotterNixon[/QUOTE]

Except that it has been every game since you made this post, and probably will be for far too many more...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Anybody know what the reasoning was for Ciriaco as the DH today? Why isn't this gifted defensive ballplayer in the field? It's almost as confounding as Martin being the DH for the NYY, except I think I know the answer to that; they had nobody else today.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : I still don't think Iggy is ready to be a Ml shortstop. Neither do the Red sox. He has a 584 OPS at Pawrtucket. not a typo.  584.  at AAA.  He has 6, count them 6, extra base hits in 263 at bats. Aviles started off great and now he has leveled off.   A lof of people in spring training didn't like Aviles. Not just you. Ike, and geo and bill put up posts about it just about every day.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

iggy doesnt have a major league bat and may never have one

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : This illustrates the problem with UZR; would it take into account the flubbed DP yesterday? What about what your own eyes tell fans otherwise? Does it take into account specialty situations (such as relays, bunts, revolving plays, backing up bases etc) Better question: Why is Ciriaco the DH today? He looks terrific in the field, and reminds me a little of Aparicio.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

ciriaco belongs at short. set loyalty aside and put aviles in dh till papi gets back

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody know what the reasoning was for Ciriaco as the DH today? Why isn't this gifted defensive ballplayer in the field? It's almost as confounding as Martin being the DH for the NYY, except I think I know the answer to that; they had nobody else today.

exactly.
    and loyalty.
    hes been the ss this year till now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Anybody know what the reasoning was for Ciriaco as the DH today? Why isn't this gifted defensive ballplayer in the field? It's almost as confounding as Martin being the DH for the NYY, except I think I know the answer to that; they had nobody else today.

I personally think Ciriaco is a better defensive SS than Aviles, so my point was, if both are playing, why is Ciriaco at DH and Aviles at SS? (It's been more than just this game.)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : I personally think Ciriaco is a better defensive SS than Aviles, so my point was, if both are playing, why is Ciriaco at DH and Aviles at SS? (It's been more than just this game.)
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Ciricao is thought of as an excellent defensive SS.  And he appears to have some skill with the bat.  And he can run.

a Aviles/ciriaco discussion has much more merit than an Aviles/Iggy conversation at this point.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Aviles : Ciricao is thought of as an excellent defensive SS.  And he appears to have some skill with the bat.  And he can run. a Aviles/ciriaco discussion has much more merit than an Aviles/Iggy conversation at this point.
    Posted by snakeoil123[/QUOTE]

If Chiriaco and Aviles are in the same line-up, unless Ciriaco is hurt, Chiriaco should be the SS.

The reason he isn't, other than a possible injury is...

1) BV thinks Aviles is a better fielder.
    2) Ben is telling BV to play Aviles at SS.
    3) BV is falling into the "loyalty curse" every Sox manager has had since Dick Williams.