Avoid Cliff Lee and 24M a year and 72M Guranteed to this high miles 34 Year Old Philly Dumpster Trash, Like the Plague!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Avoid Cliff Lee and 24M a year and 72M Guranteed to this high miles 34 Year Old Philly Dumpster Trash, Like the Plague!

Cliff Lee.......  YES, YES,  "TRANSFORM THAT PITCHING STAFF !!!  & get rid of Jacoby at the same time !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Michaelkayn. Show Michaelkayn's posts

Re: Avoid Cliff Lee and 24M a year and 72M Guranteed to this high miles 34 Year Old Philly Dumpster Trash, Like the Plague!

Seems kind of stupid to call a guy like Lee "trash" as hes had better numbers on a consistant bases then any of our guys. or almost anyone else for that matter.

Do I want him for 24 mil a year? hell no! but he is an elite pitcher. also, he know how to pitch and will age well because of it, his skill will keep him effective late in his carrer, unlike a Josh Beckett type who was great when he threw hard but awful when he could no longer overpower hitters.

in the last five years Lee has never posted an ERA higher then 3.22, he has not thrown less then 211 innings, and has started at least 30 games in four out of those five years (28 in 2010)

His total WAR over the last three years is 17.5

If we did by chance add him, it would be a bad finacial move but it would give us a true ace and a clubhouse leader.

Cliff Lee

John Lester

Clay Buchholz

John "ugh" Lackey

Felix Doubront

Not Bad, But bottom line we dont need him, lets see how Morales, De La Rosa and Doubront develope. I dont think we really need to trade or sign a SP unless Lester is gonna go the way of Beckett.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Why are we worry about him?  He will never be trade to Boston due of $$$$ anyway

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Ellsbury for Cliff Lee: No.

Ellsbury for Cliff Lee + 30M, yes.

I'm always hesitant to bring pitchers in from the NL.  Let alone a pitcher who has a contract that pays him 24M/yr until he's 100.  It's possible that being in the NL has hidden some decline.

If the Sox trade Ells for Lee, the Phills better be eating a lot of cash.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm worried about several hundred becoming several thousand to pay for bums like Shane who found himself in several dumpsters for a reason.

[/QUOTE]

What dumpsters would those be, O softheaded one?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Oh wait, its moot.  The phills just traded for Ben Revere.

Twins get fleeced again.  Seriously, who is running the Twins?  Thats the second time they've gotten absolutely fleeced this week.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]

softy...dont go over the Red Sox fiscal cliff....it's just a game

Geo, the democract party took the feds over the fiscal cliff a long time ago. Take a look at the federal debt under the entitlement welfare State expnasion promising demagogue.

Geo, nearly a quarter of billion dollars labor costs for four straight zero playoff wins seasons is the Red Sox fiscal cliff.

Geo, how much money are you spending on the Red Sox?

[/QUOTE]

i go to one game a yr ..about 100 bucks, and get NESN as part of my cable package.....so im thinking about a buck a game....not bad entertainment value imo...if more fans were like me, ticket prices and labor costs would be pretty low....

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]

Several hundred dollars, which multipled by Red Sox fans, will soon see higher media license and ticket and concession prices than the record inflation that is now imbedded in the Obama debt that exceeds all the debt of all the Presidents combined.

[/QUOTE]

The manifest demagoguery while thinking at certain value on an old man dumpster heap failed policy blah-blah-blah ...

I truly hope English is your second or third language.  If it isn't someone needs to take away your thesaurus, slap your middle school English teachers and then burn every text book used in your education.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

PA and LA dumpsters, Commy, I mean Carnie, I apologize.

in the last five years Lee

In the last five, years, Lee has reached 34 years old and is due 24 million a year for what he'll do at age 34 and age 35 and age 36, not what he did when his car had lower miles and younger age. 24 million is embarrassing for a player the Phillies are desperately trying to dump for young and cheap talent.

[/QUOTE]

What did Jack Morris do, or roger Clemans, or Curt Schilling, orrrrr Doyle Alexander do at 34/35/36. ? They helped, and essientially carried their teams to world series titles...OR...how about Tom Glavine, Frank Viola...etc....PLEASE....give a break will ya

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

Clemens was on dope. Morris was terrible at age 34, 35, had one good full season through playoffs at age 36, and was plus 4 ERA and terrible in the post season at age 37. Curt Schilling came to the Red Sox as the key SP for the WS champion DBacks, and it wasn't for 24M a year for having never finished any title at all. Doyle Alexander, had one good season at age 36, had a 4 plus ERA at 37, and was 4 plus at 35, and had one above average season at age 34.

All the more reason not to pay 34 year old Cliff "I've never finished as the top pitcher for a championship team" Lee 24 million a year for 3 years.  

[/QUOTE]

Listen...we could argue stats all day long, but the bottom line is this...when a game needed to be won...each and every one of those guys took the. ball, and won THE BIG GAME...we don,t have a guy like that. Lester....don,t think so, Buch...a follower...cmon...even you know that it take a certain mental toughness to win a championship. Cliff lee is prob the closest thing to any of those guy,s mentioned above. Don,t look at what they do during the year, when they re paceing themselves, look at what they do in the playoffs...I ll pay 24mil all day long to put the ball in Cliff Lee's hand in the playoffs to give me a chance....to win a world championship. Isn't that what it's all about?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

Clemens was on dope. Morris was terrible at age 34, 35, had one good full season through playoffs at age 36, and was plus 4 ERA and terrible in the post season at age 37. Curt Schilling came to the Red Sox as the key SP for the WS champion DBacks, and it wasn't for 24M a year for having never finished any title at all. Doyle Alexander, had one good season at age 36, had a 4 plus ERA at 37, and was 4 plus at 35, and had one above average season at age 34.

All the more reason not to pay 34 year old Cliff "I've never finished as the top pitcher for a championship team" Lee 24 million a year for 3 years.  

[/QUOTE]

Let's use Jack Morris as a comparison to Cliff Lee for a moment. Now I ask you....would it be worth it to you, red sox nation, or the red sox themselves...if Cliff Lee did exactly  what Jack Morris's did. Which was....be pretty average during the regular season...and then transform himself into bob Gibson...and pretty much single handedly carry his team to a title...forget the themoney...Jack Morris was paid very well by both the twins, and the Tigers to do what he had to do. They knew it..and he knew it. He was brought in and 'paid for the playoffs...period. Forget era,s..whips, ..whatever...you ve got to pay...for money players, and if Cliff Lee can bring us one, just, one title in his 3 yrs for 70 mil at today's rate then it,s. Well worth it to the red sox, and red sox nation IMO...

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I am becoming worried a plague is coming...... a Red Plague? 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

I ll pay 24mil all day long to put the ball in Cliff Lee's hand in the playoffs to give me a chance

I'm not paying 24 million a year any day at all for the 34 year old and older Cliff Lee who did the following in 2010 and 2011, his last two series playoff peformances:

2010 WS 10 Runs and 14 hits and a W/L record of zilch wins and 2 losses

2011 NLDS 12 hits and 5 Runs and zilch wins and a loss

Nope, I'm not paying 24 million a year to "put the ball in old Cliff Lee's hands", and the Phillies are despearte to find some idiot who will.

[/QUOTE]

What did Clemans do his first few rounds in the playoffs? How bout Morris...orrrr...Pedro...I can give you 20 others...the bottom line is this....there are few and far between that, when it gets down to it, can carry a team on its shoulders. We don't know who. They are until after the fact. Who care about the contract...he is at the right age, and still has his good stuff to help...

We need a very good vet,, for Lester , Buch, and Douby...

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I am becoming worried a plague is coming...... a Red Plague? 

[/QUOTE]

Yeah...me too...a plague of too many beans n rice eating people. Gonna lead to a country of obese people...gotta watch our diets don'we enchilada ?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from makonikyman. Show makonikyman's posts

[QUOTE]

This isn't old Cliff Lee's "first playoffs". I know that 24 million a year for Cliff Lee isn't going to "carry the Red Sox on his 24 million dollar a year shoulders", and so do the Phillies and the Rangers.

[/QUOTE]

The Phil's wanted him bad, so didn,t the rangers, and so didn,t t he yanks and red sox....there were plenty suite rs then....as well as now...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MustangBri. Show MustangBri's posts

In response to makonikyman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Let's use Jack Morris as a comparison to Cliff Lee for a moment. Now I ask you....would it be worth it to you, red sox nation, or the red sox themselves...if Cliff Lee did exactly  what Jack Morris's did. Which was....be pretty average during the regular season...and then transform himself into bob Gibson...and pretty much single handedly carry his team to a title...forget the themoney...Jack Morris was paid very well by both the twins, and the Tigers to do what he had to do. They knew it..and he knew it. He was brought in and 'paid for the playoffs...period. Forget era,s..whips, ..whatever...you ve got to pay...for money players, and if Cliff Lee can bring us one, just, one title in his 3 yrs for 70 mil at today's rate then it,s. Well worth it to the red sox, and red sox nation IMO...

[/QUOTE]

I think you just described one Josh Beckett... did'nt he do just that for the Marlins in '03 & the Sox in '07?  How much does Sox Nation love him now?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

PA and LA dumpsters, Commy, I mean Carnie, I apologize.

in the last five years Lee

In the last five, years, Lee has reached 34 years old and is due 24 million a year for what he'll do at age 34 and age 35 and age 36, not what he did when his car had lower miles and younger age. 24 million is embarrassing for a player the Phillies are desperately trying to dump for young and cheap talent.

[/QUOTE]

I guess age is a new stat now. Does it not matter that he still produces at a very high level?

I agree that 25M per is waaaay too much, but if we could get them to eat 5+M a year it would be a better deal. I doubt it happens involving Ells since they just traded for Revere. Id rather get a younger talent anyway.

25. This post has been removed.