Avoid Dempster Like the Plague!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Avoid Dempster Like the Plague!

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Beyond a 1 year contract for high single digits, Dempster is a value bum.

I agree with your headline.....I wouldnt even give him a single year deal......I think our in house solutions are already better than what Dempsters AL numbers would be.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I have to agree with Softlaw on this one. This doesn't smell that good of a deal. Stop overpaying over the hill players

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Yikes, does Ben want to lose hos job? What a terrible sign if he ends up with us.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

agree with you all!!  sound like Ben is trying to bring in more ex-Rangers to Boston so he can convince Hamilton to come to Boston!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

In response to GoUconn13's comment:

agree with you all!!  sound like Ben is trying to bring in more ex-Rangers to Boston so he can convince Hamilton to come to Boston!!

Take the Millions you are willing to give Dempster, stay with an In house candidate and add that Money to what you were willing to give Hamilton and that would be much more effective in getting Hamilton to sign here.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Awful signing if they do it. might as well pick up Matsusaka again and get the 2013 season over with. Bad team, bad management, and an incompetent GM.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I'm really hoping this does not happen, but I have a bad feeling it's going to. For whatever reason, the Sox seem to have singled Dempster out as their guy...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

from what we have seen with Ben, they will overpay and get him like they did with Victorino, Napoli and Gomes.  A used bandaid over a gunshot wound.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

why are they doing this??? The guy is 35 ...with a lifetime 124-124 record........where in their minds does this one make sense? He is a NL pitcher..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from slicksteve38. Show slicksteve38's posts

I honestly think they ae doing this to say "we signed people in the off season". How can anyone seriously think about signing this guy in the AL. He wasnt all that impressive in the NL, but his AL numbers are worse. 

I just dont get why people are so opposed to completely gutting this team and getting prospects in return. Honestly, if they were gutting the team and THEN signed guys like victorino and Napoli, I would be ok, as they need at least a few vets on the team.

But why not pursue that deal with KC for Lester? Why didnt they?

Trade Ellsbury for prospects, even if they are younger. Trade Lester, and Bailey.

beg someone to take Lackey for a bag of balls.  gut the team, bring up some of the young talent and sprinkle some medium priced FA's in there...they only win 70 games...but yet they have young talent on the way. Then, after a year of saving money, start going after a few big name free agents like King Felix next year..and you have a mix of youth and HIGH end free agents.

But this is like the NBA....you keep signing average free agents, dont get younger, and you are in the middle of the heap. You arent winning, and yet you arent playing young guys because there are hacks in front of them, it makes ZERO sense. Do they honestly think that this team can contend this year?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to slicksteve38's comment:

I honestly think they ae doing this to say "we signed people in the off season". How can anyone seriously think about signing this guy in the AL. He wasnt all that impressive in the NL, but his AL numbers are worse. 

I just dont get why people are so opposed to completely gutting this team and getting prospects in return. Honestly, if they were gutting the team and THEN signed guys like victorino and Napoli, I would be ok, as they need at least a few vets on the team.

But why not pursue that deal with KC for Lester? Why didnt they?

Trade Ellsbury for prospects, even if they are younger. Trade Lester, and Bailey.

beg someone to take Lackey for a bag of balls.  gut the team, bring up some of the young talent and sprinkle some medium priced FA's in there...they only win 70 games...but yet they have young talent on the way. Then, after a year of saving money, start going after a few big name free agents like King Felix next year..and you have a mix of youth and HIGH end free agents.

But this is like the NBA....you keep signing average free agents, dont get younger, and you are in the middle of the heap. You arent winning, and yet you arent playing young guys because there are hacks in front of them, it makes ZERO sense. Do they honestly think that this team can contend this year?

Exactly. They will say "Look, we spent money and have a high payroll as we promised".  Haven't the Red Sox proven time and again that a high payroll does not equate to wins. Let the younger players learn.

This would be as dumb if not dumber than the Victorino signing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Beyond a 1 year contract for high single digits, Dempster is a value bum.

Agreed.  1 @ 8 = good.  2 @ 14 = I can live with.  Anything higher = please no.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bacchus101. Show bacchus101's posts

In response to slicksteve38's comment:

Hilarious that you basically took my exact point in a column (which you derided) and used it here. Yes, we need to get younger. No we don't need overpayed declining players to keep us mediocre. Yes, us. We the fans. We the private investors in this club called The Boston Red Sox. The private equity inverstors that offer said team the ability to spend hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

We want the team to get younger. Our voice will be heard or ticket sales will go down. NESN viewership will go down. Equipment sales will go down. 

Bringing medicore players to the table is not going to be good for business over the long term.  Invest long term or prepare for the value of the property to collapse. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Softlaw, its refreshing to see you specify high single digits.  Unfortunately,  teams who are a couple of complimentary pieces away from being serious contenders should be willing to pay market for such pieces.

The fact that you specified high single digits (begrudgingly I'm sure), shows that you are adjusting your market perception for the unfortunate big labor realities that we all have to face.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Ive been ok with every signing so far. people talk overpay, but the reality is thats what you pay in this day and age for FA. We paid slightly higher to get less years. No big deal.

If they make this signing, I will go on record right now as totally against it, even if its for a 1 year deal . We have in house options that could do what this guy can. Not sure why BC and Co. have a hard on for him...

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:

Softlaw, its refreshing to see you specify high single digits.  Unfortunately,  teams who are a couple of complimentary pieces away from being serious contenders should be willing to pay market for such pieces.

The fact that you specified high single digits (begrudgingly I'm sure), shows that you are adjusting your market perception for the unfortunate big labor realities that we all have to face.

This is the guy who said A Sanchez has a value of $2M/1".

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Leftymcrighty. Show Leftymcrighty's posts

Hamilton for three year would have been great.

He's going to the Angels.

So, we have Dumpster, Victorino, Gomes, and who knows about Napoli. But, hey, we might get Nick "I can't hit or field in post season" Swisher!

That should get NESN loads of viewers back. Not!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Ive been ok with every signing so far. people talk overpay, but the reality is thats what you pay in this day and age for FA. We paid slightly higher to get less years. No big deal.

If they make this signing, I will go on record right now as totally against it, even if its for a 1 year deal . We have in house options that could do what this guy can. Not sure why BC and Co. have a hard on for him...

I agree.

The Sox could've gone with Morales and get what they'll probably get from Dempster.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I agree.

The Sox could've gone with Morales and get what they'll probably get from Dempster.

doubtful morales or aceves could give the sox 200 innings.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

I agree.

doubtful morales or aceves could give the sox 200 innings.

Probably not.

But, for over 13 mil per year, I'd like more than the proverbial "innings eater".

Sections
Shortcuts