Avoid Dempster Like the Plague!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Re: Avoid Dempster Like the Plague!

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ive been ok with every signing so far. people talk overpay, but the reality is thats what you pay in this day and age for FA. We paid slightly higher to get less years. No big deal.

If they make this signing, I will go on record right now as totally against it, even if its for a 1 year deal . We have in house options that could do what this guy can. Not sure why BC and Co. have a hard on for him...

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Sox could've gone with Morales and get what they'll probably get from Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

doubtful morales or aceves could give the sox 200 innings.

[/QUOTE]

You want innings we could have brought back Wakefield. He stunk like DUMPSTER, but he could certainly eat innings.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ive been ok with every signing so far. people talk overpay, but the reality is thats what you pay in this day and age for FA. We paid slightly higher to get less years. No big deal.

If they make this signing, I will go on record right now as totally against it, even if its for a 1 year deal . We have in house options that could do what this guy can. Not sure why BC and Co. have a hard on for him...

[/QUOTE]

I agree.

The Sox could've gone with Morales and get what they'll probably get from Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

doubtful morales or aceves could give the sox 200 innings.

[/QUOTE]

You want innings we could have brought back Wakefield. He stunk like DUMPSTER, but he could certainly eat innings.

[/QUOTE]

Are you related to Softy?

He has trouble letting go too.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

In response to Drewski5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Softlaw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Beyond a 1 year contract for high single digits, Dempster is a value bum.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  1 @ 8 = good.  2 @ 14 = I can live with.  Anything higher = please no.

[/QUOTE]

I'm all for rebuilding and avoiding giving 3 years to players like Napoli.  The 2013 Sox look mediocre to me signing players coming off poor 2012s.

That being said why would Dempster only be worth 2 @14?

Kuroda who was 37 in Feb 2012, he got 1 @ $10m (2009 -2011 8.3 WAR, 3.31 ERA pitching in LA)

Dempser will be 36 in May 2013, he got 2 @$26.5 (2010 - 2012 9.2 WAR, 4.02 ERA pitching in Wrigley and Texas)

2 @$26.5m is a lot for Dempster, but 2 @$14m?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Too late now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulLaCourse. Show PaulLaCourse's posts

In response to Leftymcrighty's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hamilton for three year would have been great.

He's going to the Angels.

So, we have Dumpster, Victorino, Gomes, and who knows about Napoli. But, hey, we might get Nick "I can't hit or field in post season" Swisher!

That should get NESN loads of viewers back. Not!

[/QUOTE]

Nick "I can't hit or field in post season" Swisher! Who says we are going to the post season anyways.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]

I don't adjust anything when it comes to value and fit.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree.  Value is relative to the market and the market is constantly changing.  I know that you are smart enough to realize this and therefore adjust your value. 

I think its much more likely that I came off like a condensing Dbag in my last post (now that I re-read it) which prompted this sentence. I agree with most of the rest of your post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Softlaw, its refreshing to see you specify high single digits.  Unfortunately,  teams who are a couple of complimentary pieces away from being serious contenders should be willing to pay market for such pieces.

The fact that you specified high single digits (begrudgingly I'm sure), shows that you are adjusting your market perception for the unfortunate big labor realities that we all have to face.

[/QUOTE]

This is the guy who said A Sanchez has a value of $2M/1".

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, well i can be hyperbolic when im fired up too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

I dont get the love for innings eating. I mean pay me a million dollars and ill give you innings.  Ill have an ERA in the mid 3thousands, but Ill give you innings.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to tom-uk's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'm all for rebuilding and avoiding giving 3 years to players like Napoli.  The 2013 Sox look mediocre to me signing players coming off poor 2012s.

Kuroda who was 37 in Feb 2012, he got 1 @ $10m (2009 -2011 8.3 WAR, 3.31 ERA pitching in LA)

Dempser will be 36 in May 2013, he got 2 @$26.5 (2010 - 2012 9.2 WAR, 4.02 ERA pitching in Wrigley and Texas)

[/QUOTE]

Kuroda is a sample size of one.  Just because Kuroda had a great year at an old age doesnt mean we should expect every pitcher to duplicate the success. Just like it was foolish to expect Lowrie to become the next Pedroia.

All players are individuals.  They have nothing to do with each other.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You were saying?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

I don't think he's an ace, but I don't think he'll be terrible either. Look for something like 14-9 with a 3.90-4.10.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think he's an ace, but I don't think he'll be terrible either. Look for something like 14-9 with a 3.90-4.10.

[/QUOTE]

Thats a #2 starter in the AL east. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[/QUOTE]

(((((((((((Kuroda is a sample size of one.  Just because Kuroda had a great year at an old age doesnt mean we should expect every pitcher to duplicate the success. Just like it was foolish to expect Lowrie to become the next Pedroia.)))))))))))

I put up Kuroda's stats from BEFORE he hit FA, his last year is irrelevant.

(((((((((((((All players are individuals.  They have nothing to do with each other.)))))))))

[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is a really foolish thing to write. I suspect you are not going to make it as an agent.    Do you really think that two NL pitchers who were FA one year apart in age, in two successive years, moving to ALEast, with similar numbers have nothing to do with each other?  I would go so far as to say Kuroda is the closest comp for a decade.    2 @ $14 m is silly talk.

Dave Cameron agreed yesterday: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/ryan-dempster-quality-al-pitcher/

Last year, the guy making the big move was Hiroki Kuroda. At 37, he was leaving Dodger Stadium and the NL West for the Yankees, and he was going to find out just how different life was on the east coast, with the warm summers, small ballparks, and fearsome offensive line-ups. Instead of regressing, Kuroda had perhaps the best season of his career. His ERA- of 79 was tied for the sixth best mark in the league, and his peripheral numbers all head steady, even his strikeout rate. There was next to no difference between NL West Kuroda and AL East Kuroda.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

I dont get the love for innings eating. I mean pay me a million dollars and ill give you innings.  Ill have an ERA in the mid 3thousands, but Ill give you innings.

[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of the business that is losing money on every transaction but is making up for it with volume.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

[QUOTE]

Value and Market Value rarely represent the same number.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, but let's get real about the value numbers in this thread.

Last year Dempster:

30th in WAR in MLB SP

7.96 K/9    2.71 BB / 9       1.179 WHIP

Sections
Shortcuts