Avoid Signing Stephen Drew Like the Plague!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: Avoid Signing Stephen Drew Like the Plague!

The complete lack of activity on Drew from the Sox speaks volumes

The only reason there is any buzz is because the unimaginitve media cannot figure out who the real candidates to sign him are.  If Drew came back to Boston on a one year deal, it would reflect poorly on Boras if the money was less than the QO Drew was advised to reject.   And the Sox appear to like Bogaerts and Middlebrooks enough to not go longer than 1 year.  One year makes sense for Boston, as the extra year of Bogaerts could be worth up to $20mill.  But longer does not unless they have lost faith in Middlebrooks.

Drew will sign a multiyear deal with the Dodgers or Indians.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Drew is underrated by many here and in a vacuum I'd be happy to have him back, but as things stand there is no need (particularly when signing him would likely mean selling low on Middlebrooks).

It was a classic 1-year "Beltre" deal that worked out well. Take the draft pick and let Xander and Middy play.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

i would want him back on a 2 year deal.  dont care about the price.  SP & RP is set.

IMO WMB will not make it as the 3b for the Boston Red Sox.  i dont care what his hr-to-ab ratio is.  X-bo can handle 3b for the next season or two.  i don't care about selling low on WMB.  bundle him with the Dempster contract and get a bag o' balls.....

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to solareclipse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yankees didn't sign Cano and have done nothing on the middle infield front and have nothing on the farm. Roberts is an old UIF'er now, so his 2M contract is meaningless. The Yankees are an elephant in very short weeds, and have already made prior FA draft choice negative impact signings to where Drew won't matter to them and their approach a bit. 

The result is Drew's market is going to be multi-year and Peralta just got a 13 Million a year 4 year deal with the Indians. Add the Yankees at the bidding table, and you get a true disaster in any decision to try and resign Drew. 

Now, I wouldn't sign Drew for more than cheap UIF"er cost, but that's not the point. The point is that the market is such that I shouldn't have to worry about the Red Sox making a move of stupidity (even if they dump some all or most of Dempster's or Peavy's contract).

Drew's market is sure to be at least 2 to 3 years and about 30 to 40M, cheapiest case. Unlike the Yankees, the Red Sox have Bogaerts and Middlebrooks (1HR per 19PA) and get a draft pick if they laugh at Boras on this guy.

There is no way that anyone can make a reasonable defense of signing Drew as a FA over the alternative. Drew wasn't any difference maker over the 2013 alternative, and he certainly isn't going to be any difference maker over the 2014 alternative.  

[/QUOTE]

you need something new to pretend to be obsessed about. Nobody cares about this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just like old times!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just like old times!

[/QUOTE]

I know right?

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I have no problem bring Drew back for another year, but he will need to understand that he may become the utility infielder to give Bogaerts a legit, full time shot at shortstop.

If Drew were going to get a three year contract, I cannot understand why nothing has been seen or heard as of yet.  It appears that his .250 average, very big playoff slump, the draft pick attached to him, etc are all going to leave him HOPING for a good one year deal at this time.

Boras took a lot of money out of Veritek's pocket the year he counseled him to not accept the qualifying offer of 11 M and he ended up signing for 5 M.   Could be Drew ends up in the same situation?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

Who told me last offseason that Drew getting a QO was a pipe dream?

http://riveraveblues.com/2013/10/yankees-rank-middle-of-the-pack-in-baseball-americas-near-term-farm-system-rankings-95717/   Sox ranked #1.

Kudos to the "incompetent" middle management Theo/Ben/scouting team for theoretically (still prospects) outperforming  the NYY even though both were throwing overslot money around.  Imagine if poor Westmoreland was never afflicted. (Here come my NYY friends to set the record straight)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Pike, I mean 37 stories, what's up.

Hi!

Hey everyone! I am Pike and solar isn't Softlaw!

Oh no now the whole board will turn against me. I am nothing but a troll.

Oh wait.

That's you.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

IMO WMB will not make it as the 3b for the Boston Red Sox.

I think he will, but no worries, mate. Cecchini is in the line, so no need to do something stupid and guarantee Drew 30 to 40M to block Middlebrooks or Bogaerts. 

Notin, the Red Sox don't need to be worrying about losing a year of Bogaerts service time in the majors just to avoid the chance that about 6 years from now, they add 20M on the front end of a deal that unless he's a true superstar and the Red Sox don't have a better alternative the Red Sox don't need to resign him in the first place. Speding 10M or more on Drew to look 6 years later and pretend on saving 20M is simply stupid to even ponder, Notin. No personal offense, and show me where I'm wrong;)

[/QUOTE]

So spending $10mill to save $20mill is BAD!?!?

I do not think Drew comes back to Boston. Ialso think my earlier prediction of Cleveland is not happening, asI forgot about Francisco Lindor.

I do think Drew finds a multiyear deal.  Several free agents with QOs took longer last year but found work...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The complete lack of activity on Drew from the Sox speaks volumes

The only reason there is any buzz is because the unimaginitve media cannot figure out who the real candidates to sign him are.  If Drew came back to Boston on a one year deal, it would reflect poorly on Boras if the money was less than the QO Drew was advised to reject.   And the Sox appear to like Bogaerts and Middlebrooks enough to not go longer than 1 year.  One year makes sense for Boston, as the extra year of Bogaerts could be worth up to $20mill.  But longer does not unless they have lost faith in Middlebrooks.

Drew will sign a multiyear deal with the Dodgers or Indians.

[/QUOTE] the Mets still loom as a possible destination....Michael Natelli ‏@MichaelNatelli 9m

Source says Stephen Drew could still come to Mets. Talks have been quiet for a while, but Alderson seems against Tejada as Opening Day SS .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

i would want him back on a 2 year deal.  dont care about the price.  SP & RP is set.

IMO WMB will not make it as the 3b for the Boston Red Sox.  i dont care what his hr-to-ab ratio is.  X-bo can handle 3b for the next season or two.  i don't care about selling low on WMB.  bundle him with the Dempster contract and get a bag o' balls.....

[/QUOTE]

Be careful what you wish for. Angels just traded Trumbo and received probably [2] starters for their rotation this year. Take a good look at Trumbo 162 game avg and WMB 162 avg, look almost identical. I'm willing to see what WMB brings to RS this year. Many forget WMB is coming off a wrist injury, remember when Papi was getting pinch hit for his season after a wrist injury. Too many RS fans too quick to judge!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Teams that already lost the 1st Round Pick, should think about him. Sox are in the drivers seat with him. Boras knows this, probably advise him not to sign. He is looking like a fool on this one. Didn't realize teams want that 1st round pick.

Guaranteed, when Perralta signed with the Cards, Boras went nuts. Mozeliak no dummy went for FA without QO. He got 4 years, Cards kept their 1st round pick.

Yanks are into the now, cant blame them, nothing in the Farm, to offer, nothing in near future, they have to spend. Nothing wrong with that, it puts fannies in the seats. Now can they win a WS, or are they just competing with the Sox. I think not, Sox are addressing the Future, too. If I were the Yanks I'd sign Drew.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

The timing of Pike and softy's return is eyebrow raising to say the least. 

solarsofty is obsessed with Drew. I almost hope we do sign Drew so that he can have a complete meltdown and let us know the 2014 season is over.

Sections
Shortcuts