Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks

ProJo had a good article on the offense of Punto/Aviles. They were right at AL SS average for BA & OBP, and above average for slugging%. If they bat ninth, they are well above AL 9 Hole, in all three categories. http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/01/net-gains-net-losses-from-marco-scutaro-trade.html It looks like they will get on base at decent clip, so the top of the order can knock them in.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : Thought I remembered you were, as am I. Yes, with the same outcome, hopefully. Giants have been road warriors and have the better all around team IMO.  However, if Brady/offense plays the way they're capable of and defense steps up, like they have the past two games, it will be tough. Pats were huge favorites last time, this time almost a pick 'em. One team is a team of destiny...we'll see.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

cool, good memory

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : OK but the games in April do decide the season to the same extent the games in all other months factor-in What about the Giants?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

AM, blame Francona for that nonsense...he reinforced that idea every spring training with his club med training camps, fat, unconditioned players, and April excuses -  trust me, Bobby V wont be playing that game and the players know better than to say that tripe in 2012

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Francona rarely displayed a sense of urgency let alone in March or April

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : its like getting 3/4 of a season for free, as far as service time. seems so red soxish 2 me like never1954 implies if he's really your best option you use him, sox  or any other team in the ALE can't afford to be so   cute as to play their 2nd best options
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

The thing is, you don't give away prospect's years unless it is a clear gain.  Bringing up Lincecum a few week's early, it cost them a tone of money.  The Giants finished last that year.

How did bringing up Hughes and Joba work out for you?  Kennedy?  Had they all been bought up a year later, maybe they'd have all worked out for you.

Leave them in the minors until they are a clear advantage over the incumbent.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Francona rarely displayed a sense of urgency let alone in March or April

His overall record was .574.
    His April record was .570.

Now that's a heck of a big difference.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : AM, blame Francona for that nonsense...he reinforced that idea every spring training with his club med training camps, fat, unconditioned players, and April excuses -  trust me, Bobby V wont be playing that game and the players know better than to say that tripe in 2012
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

Yeah sure, I expect Jenks to lose 60 pounds now that BV is manager.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : Or anytime someone doesn't make a play behind him! But I was addressing the quote he made early last season - he literally said that he doesn't care about games in April.

And, of course, you completely misinterpreted what he said, possibly on purpose.

"Steve Silva, then asked the left-hander about his "tough luck getting out of the get in April".

"I really don't care about April," Lester answered sternly. "You know, it's nice to go out and pitch well, but at the end of the year, everything speaks for itself. It sucks at the time, but everything pretty much speaks for itself at the end of the year."

In his career, Lester has struggled in April to the rune of a 3-6 record, 4.76 ERA and 1.51 WHIP. Last season, the left-hander got off to a 1-2 start in April in five starts with a 4.71 ERA. Last April, opposing batters hit .320 against Lester when putting the ball in play.

"I'll get going when I get going. I don't know what it is. I don’t know what to do. I've done different things each year, and I'll just go about it this year and see what happens."

Taken from
    http://www.soxspacenews.com/article/671

He's not saying April games don't matter, chief.   He's commenting about his slow starts and saying they don't bother him because he knows he WILL get going.

Don't be one of those fans who clings to excerpts of a quote, takes things out of context, or uses ambiguity for pure malevolance for the sole purpose of stirring up controversy where there is none...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : His overall record was .574. His April record was .570. Now that's a heck of a big difference.
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Why that amounts to one win every 10 Aprils!!  WHERE IS THE URGENCY?!?!!?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Given the current construction of the roster though, Lava wouldn't be starting for the big league club.

Catchers split time. Current construction can be blown up. Lavarnway should be one of the two catchers if Salty keeps catching like he has all thumbs. At least Lavarnway has hitting potential that Salty doesn't have. Salty had all year to prove he was worthy of a lot of catcher starts. I wasn't impressed at all, and expect Salty to end up in the next dumpster before long.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxRuleTheRoost. Show SoxRuleTheRoost's posts

In response to "Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks": [QUOTE]ProJo had a good article on the offense of Punto/Aviles. They were right at AL SS average for BA & OBP, and above average for slugging%. If they bat ninth, they are well above AL 9 Hole, in all three categories. http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/red-sox/2012/01/net-gains-net-losses-from-marco-scutaro-trade.html It looks like they will get on base at decent clip, so the top of the order can knock them in. Posted by SoxRuleTheRoost[/QUOTE] Now that we got Ross, Aviles won't be needed as often in the outfield. Have Punto / Ross start the season at SS. Let them get their PA's, so they will be better prepared to their utility roles for the remainder of the season. Start Iggy in AAA, so he can work on plate discipline. Bring him up end of May. Let Aviles move into the super utility role & Punto the infield utility role. If the rest of the offense is going to have to carry Iggy, at least it won't be on the clock. Let's see see how his glove affects games. I want him in there, but not till end of May. That appears to be the best way to get the most out of all 3 players.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Avoid Super2 with Iglesias, Lavarnway, Kalish & Middlebrooks : The thing is, you don't give away prospect's years unless it is a clear gain.  Bringing up Lincecum a few week's early, it cost them a tone of money.  The Giants finished last that year. How did bringing up Hughes and Joba work out for you?  Kennedy?  Had they all been bought up a year later, maybe they'd have all worked out for you. Leave them in the minors until they are a clear advantage over the incumbent. Posted by Joebreidey[/ QUOTE ] Leave them in the minors until they are a clear advantage over the incumbent. that was my point I understand the savings part but I don't think it's bigger than having the best team available out there  How did bringing up Hughes and Joba work out for you? not sure what you mean   I mean as far as the topic here they both did pretty good while helping us to the PS actually joba was great until the PO their problems today have NOTHING 2 do with their clock starting  to soon
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]"nothing to do with their clock starting to soon"

I agree.

More to do with their changing roles imo.

Sections
Shortcuts