Back in 1st place

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Back in 1st place

Soriano with the WO hit and now we are .5 games in 1st place with the Rays make up game tomorrow.

We then have a stretch of games vs. Seattle, AZ then off to Houston and KC before taking on the NYY again.

Time to start separating from the pack a little.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Back in 1st place

Felt awfully weird rooting for the Yankees.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I was just hoping the rays played bad more than the NYY played good Tongue Out

worked out good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Hopefully today was an anomaly for Soriano.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

NYY have a lot of issues still...More than the Sox, Rays and O's IMHO.

I could see them in 4th place this year. But Ill never take them lightly or ever count them out.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Could well be a four team race right down to the wire. Sox have met every challenge so far. No reason to stop now. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I'm still trying to figure out why NYY got Soriano?

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

Because A-Rod's not coming back, and Soriano can hit LHP.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Javi60. Show Javi60's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Soriano with the WO hit and now we are .5 games in 1st place with the Rays make up game tomorrow.

We then have a stretch of games vs. Seattle, AZ then off to Houston and KC before taking on the NYY again.

Back in first place, yes indeed!... Now, what should we do before July 31? Stand pat or make a bold and intelligent move and look for the Ring?...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Back in the saddle again. :)  But gotta beat Price tomorrow to stay there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

according to RedSoxDOrtiz

it's because they are idiots

after seeing sori help sox into 1P

maybe he was right

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

Back in first place, yes indeed!... Now, what should we do before July 31? Stand pat or make a bold and intelligent move and look for the Ring?...

Id settle for a smart and subtle move if  it makes sense. Lester turning things around will certainly help and lessen the need/want for a starter. Im thinking a bullpen arm is the biggest need. Im still not willing to sell the farm for a rental, middle reliever, or oft injured starter.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Middlebrooks and Webster for Lee, with the Red Sox absorbing a significant portion of the contract. Middlebrooks won't have a position with Boegarts at 3B and Iglesias at SS next year (no way the Red Sox entrust him with first base). Webster is just one of several pitching prospects at the upper levels of the minors and probably the one with the least upside given his unimpressive major league and AAA numbers this year.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Cliff Lee and his wife didnt want to come to Boston before, and he has a NTC now. Why do people think he would want to come here now?

That, and its gonna cost a lot more than Webster and Middy for him. Phills dont need to dump salary. They have a 5 Billion dollar TV deal in the works and dont need salary relief. With Lee and Hammels leading the rotation, they dont have to totally rebuild. Maybe guys like Paps, Young, and Utley could go. Not to us, but somewhere.

Lee also is complaining about a neck issue now. I really dont think he wants to get traded again.

With Buch coming back, Lester turning things around, Doubie and lack pitching well and even Dempster, weve go a good rotation that can go deep into the PO's.

We need a RH BULLPEN arm.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Cliff Lee and his wife didnt want to come to Boston before, and he has a NTC now. Why do people think he would want to come here now?

That, and its gonna cost a lot more than Webster and Middy for him. Phills dont need to dump salary. They have a 5 Billion dollar TV deal in the works and dont need salary relief. With Lee and Hammels leading the rotation, they dont have to totally rebuild. Maybe guys like Paps, Young, and Utley could go. Not to us, but somewhere.

Lee also is complaining about a neck issue now. I really dont think he wants to get traded again.

With Buch coming back, Lester turning things around, Doubie and lack pitching well and even Dempster, weve go a good rotation that can go deep into the PO's.

We need a RH BULLPEN arm.

I am not so sure Buchholtz is coming back this year at all. He is a wimp. At the very least he will be out another month.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This team is in first place and it's because they're playing well.  At this point there is nobody in the "starting 9" (including Papi) whom I can see the Sox replacing at a reasonable cost.  I see only one good reason to make a move - to show the team that the FO is willing to help the team win this year.

Pitching?  Maybe we need to stop thinking about what our expectations were for each pitcher (and our rating them 1-5) and instead think about what they've actually done this year.

Buch - Gee, I hope he comes back, but even if he does I don't expect another 1.7 ERA.  But assuming he doesn't come back at all.....

Lester has been up and down but has been obviously trying to solve his problems.  Some solutions have worked, some haven't, but over the past two weeks all three of his starts have been QS, including that gem yesterday against a very good hitting team.

Lackey - He's been very consistent and has an ERA over his past 10 games hovering right around 3.00

Dubront - He's given up 18 runs over his past 62 innings since early June.  That translates to an ERA of 2.62

Dempster - The much-maligned Ryan Dempster has pitched 10 times since early June and nine of those have been QS.  ERA = 4.01.  Is there really a "#5 pitcher" who's pitching that well anywhere?

But... since Buch is out we still need another pitcher.  Right now the man of the hour is Brandon Workman.  You can scream "small sample size" all you want, but it's all we've got so it's not fair to discount it completely.  After his first rocky start he's had two starts and given up four runs in twelve innings.  That's pretty good for a short-term replacement.  ERA ove rthose two games = 3.00

My point is that I don't see it necessary to go out and make any big splashes by trading one of our top six prospects for Cliff Lee, etc..  If this team is going to make a trade (and I think they should if only to show the players that the FO is committed) they should be looking to trade 2, 3, or even 4 mid-level prospects for another BP arm - OR one of our 3b/SS prospects not named Iggy or Bogarts + a mid-level prospect or two for a REAL closer. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This team is in first place and it's because they're playing well.  At this point there is nobody in the "starting 9" (including Papi) whom I can see the Sox replacing at a reasonable cost.  I see only one good reason to make a move - to show the team that the FO is willing to help the team win this year.

Pitching?  Maybe we need to stop thinking about what our expectations were for each pitcher (and our rating them 1-5) and instead think about what they've actually done this year.

Buch - Gee, I hope he comes back, but even if he does I don't expect another 1.7 ERA.  But assuming he doesn't come back at all.....

Lester has been up and down but has been obviously trying to solve his problems.  Some solutions have worked, some haven't, but over the past two weeks all three of his starts have been QS, including that gem yesterday against a very good hitting team.

Lackey - He's been very consistent and has an ERA over his past 10 games hovering right around 3.00

Dubront - He's given up 18 runs over his past 62 innings since early June.  That translates to an ERA of 2.62

Dempster - The much-maligned Ryan Dempster has pitched 10 times since early June and nine of those have been QS.  ERA = 4.01.  Is there really a "#5 pitcher" who's pitching that well anywhere?

But... since Buch is out we still need another pitcher.  Right now the man of the hour is Brandon Workman.  You can scream "small sample size" all you want, but it's all we've got so it's not fair to discount it completely.  After his first rocky start he's had two starts and given up four runs in twelve innings.  That's pretty good for a short-term replacement.  ERA ove rthose two games = 3.00

My point is that I don't see it necessary to go out and make any big splashes by trading one of our top six prospects for Cliff Lee, etc..  If this team is going to make a trade (and I think they should if only to show the players that the FO is committed) they should be looking to trade 2, 3, or even 4 mid-level prospects for another BP arm - OR one of our 3b/SS prospects not named Iggy or Bogarts + a mid-level prospect or two for a REAL closer. 

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

That first "start" for Workman was a relief appearence and probably jacked his ERA to the moon. The last 2 games were actual starts and that ERA over those 2 games is what we should go by.

I agree with what we should be looking for on the trade market. BULLPEN HELP!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to Javi60's comment:

I think a false presumption by many is that if the FO does not make a bold or blockbuster move, then that means that they are not looking for the ring this year.  IMO, standing pat and looking for the ring are not mutually exclusive.

This team is not perfect, and there is always room for improvement.  However, I think that the team is good enough as is (with some help internally from AAA guys) that we can have the best of both worlds - more or less stand pat, thereby keeping our future intact, while at the same time looking for the ring this year.

I'm not necessarily saying that Ben should do nothing.  We have mid level prospects that apparently aren't going to be protected in the Rule 5 draft.  If the right deal comes along involving those unprotected prospects, then Ben should make it.  In other words, a tweak here or there.

What he shouldn't do is jeopardize the future of this team in any way trying to win it all this year.  Making those types of deals doesn't guarantee a ring anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

Felt awfully weird rooting for the Yankees.

LOL ... so true.   Friend of mine walked in a "caught" me following the Yanqui game.  Terribly surprised was he to hear me say, "I'm actually pilling for the enemy."   He's a Mets fan, from the earliest days, so he has a strong dislike of anything Bronx Bomber - maybe stronger than me. 

He was kind to me, though....his guys were getting hammered 13-1 or something when he gave up on them and dropped over. 

Sections
Shortcuts