Back SPASM....note the singular use

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use

If the guy is hurt then he did the right thing to get out of there and give the team a chance to win. Becketts attitude is what kills him but I don't ever question his judgement to compete and win for this team. Most people here don't like him but he has done more than most pitchers will ever do in their careers already and he is not finished yet. He will probably never be the old Beckett he once was but he can still be pretty good. If I were in his situation I would not speak to the media again and just go out and pitch the best you can each time and let the media write what they are without you.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Man...people should give Beckett a break. One, As someone who has recurring back problems.....the first symptom before you end up laid up in bed is Back Spasms and frequently you get them when you take a misstep or reach from something or turn too suddenly......most of all of the same motions you would make pitching off a Wet mound. Two, we all know Beckett hasnt pitched fantastic since last August, but has some on this board has pointed out, his overall numbers reflect worse this his actual performance.....and three, to accuse a guy for slacking or babying an injury when his former Manager said that he is such a hard worker that he suggested to the other pitchers follow his lead in terms of effort is dumb. Besides the fact that he will be with them the rest of the year, and if they have any shot at all at the playoffs, the Sox will need him to succeed...why dont we try supporting him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use:
    two things...one...it has to be almost impossible to throw the ball hard and accurate with back spasms....so no hate there for beckett but... the conditoning thing again....will he ever try it and be serious? he seems like he has no committment to the team by keeping himself in game shape....and that isnt hate but legit...
    Posted by georom4

Thanks for showing intelligence.

I can deal with someone being upset at Beckett for not being in shape and getting nagging injuries because of it.

I cannot deal with people acting like he made up the injury to come out of the game.  

Some scary thought processes around here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : Thanks for showing intelligence. I can deal with someone being upset at Beckett for not being in shape and getting nagging injuries because of it. I cannot deal with people acting like he made up the injury to come out of the game.   Some scary thought processes around here.
    Posted by snakeoil123
    Well said Snke & Gerome too !!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

This is as classless amd disgusting as the boos that followed Beckett off the mound last night.

I saw my first major league games at Braves Field and Fenway in 1935 and never saw, or heard, anything like that. Makes no difference, home tream or opponents, it was sickening.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

This is as classless amd disgusting as the boos that followed Beckett off the mound last night. I saw my first major league games at Braves Field and Fenway in 1935 and never saw, or heard, anything like that. Makes no difference, home tream or opponents, it was sickening.
    Posted by bosoxmal
       Good Post.....  However, back in 1935 you paid .15 cents to get into the park and crackerjacks cost .05 cents.....  Not to mention that the FAT-CAT$ of the day were not being paid 64mil$ to perform !!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use :    Good Post.....  However, back in 1935 you paid .15 cents to get into the park and crackerjacks cost .05 cents.....  Not to mention that the FAT-CAT$ of the day were not being paid 64mil$ to perform !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

And Big Papi is making 14 millions dollars to just bat DH.  Why he isnt getting any bashing?  He is alway hurting every year and still make over 10 million dollars a year as a DH hitter!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Beckett on the post game. he said it was a singular spasm. it locked up on him, it got worse, couldnt throw a strike. called out the trainer. Said it was similar but not as severe as 2010 in NY, when he experienced multiple spasms, similar condition rain, wet mound Back was stiff, would be re evaluated today by the medical staff Those who don't like Becketts attitude/perforance, is one thing. To call him out and criticize him for leaving a game due to an injury, is in the same category as the fans booing him. disgraceful. not one of your better post, dragon
    Posted by J-BAY

the guy sounds like he's 70 years old

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Beckett on the post game. he said it was a singular spasm. it locked up on him, it got worse, couldnt throw a strike. called out the trainer. Said it was similar but not as severe as 2010 in NY, when he experienced multiple spasms, similar condition rain, wet mound Back was stiff, would be re evaluated today by the medical staff Those who don't like Becketts attitude/perforance, is one thing. To call him out and criticize him for leaving a game due to an injury, is in the same category as the fans booing him. disgraceful. not one of your better post, dragon
    Posted by J-BAY

Beckett retired the first eight batters he faced, two on strikes. Then, out of nowhere, he throws 12 balls in 16 pitches, most of which weren't even close, to walk in a run. Clearly something was wrong with him.

Anyone who booed him last night is clueless. Or stupid. Or both.

(Side note: I was at a football game with my father when I was around 10. The fans booed the kicker after a missed field goal and I joined in. Pop was furious at me. "If you ever boo one of your own players again, I'll never take you to another game." And I never did).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Obviously , an injured player should not be booed , but let's not get all righteous and indignant about this. Josh is a big boy and a multi millionaire. He can take it. Let's see how long he is out , and how he pitches down the stretch.  The fans were not booing him because he was hurt. It is an accumulation of numerous things dating back to last September that has caused the animosity from the fans.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

two things...one...it has to be almost impossible to throw the ball hard and accurate with back spasms....so no hate there for beckett but... the conditoning thing again....will he ever try it and be serious? he seems like he has no committment to the team by keeping himself in game shape....and that isnt hate but legit...
    Posted by georom4

Although I do not share your Beckett-hate and lust to denegrate him, I am in total agreement with you Georom.  His balky back has ruined parts or wholes of almost every season since he has been in Boston.  And, it is usually towards the tail end of the season (anyone think the ankle tweak last September wasn't weight related?).  If he commited to core work/yoga/pilates regimen and a proper diet, the dude could experience a rennaisance.  Without it, he is done.  The choice is yours Josh.  Think about this morning over your steak and eggs.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Maybe Beckett just had an attack of gas, from eating too much fried chicken and beer?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : Although I do not share your Beckett-hate and lust to denegrate him, I am in total agreement with you Georom.  His balky back has ruined parts or wholes of almost every season since he has been in Boston.  And, it is usually towards the tail end of the season (anyone think the ankle tweak last September wasn't weight related?).  If he commited to core work/yoga/pilates regimen and a proper diet, the dude could experience a rennaisance.  Without it, he is done.  The choice is yours Josh.  Think about this morning over your steak and eggs.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

thanks space for the common sense post...these guys defending him and attacking the fans have total tunnel vision (how convenient as the Church lady once said!)  and i as i posted earlier, how much you bet he drops 25 pounds in the last yr of his contract???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : thanks space for the common sense post...these guys defending him and attacking the fans have total tunnel vision (how convenient as the Church lady once said!)  and i as i posted earlier, how much you bet he drops 25 pounds in the last yr of his contract???
    Posted by georom4

I already accepted your wager on another thread

Beckett has no motivation to get a new contract; he will retire the minute the term expires.  Just like Drew did and just like Crawford will.  I'll cover any bet you wish on this matter..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

drew you are on!  beckett will not retire like jd

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use :    Good Post.....  However, back in 1935 you paid .15 cents to get into the park and crackerjacks cost .05 cents.....  Not to mention that the FAT-CAT$ of the day were not being paid 64mil$ to perform !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Hey Bill get your numbers right PLEASE

What MLB Cost in 1935 vs 2012:

Average Person's Annual Salary: $1,500 2012 $52,000

1935 MLB ticket ave $1.20 (not .35) it was 6% of a person's salary
    2012 MLB ticket ave is $27 it is 5% of a person's salary
    So it was more expensive to go to a game in 1935 than it is now.

Average MLB salary in 1935 was $15,000 today's value is $250K
    Ruth made $45,000 today that is $757,000.

The salaries of player's is for disclosure since I believe in giving all info. Players are getting paid more today average is $3,000,000.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

Obviously , an injured player should not be booed , but let's not get all righteous and indignant about this. Josh is a big boy and a multi millionaire. He can take it. Let's see how long he is out , and how he pitches down the stretch.  The fans were not booing him because he was hurt. It is an accumulation of numerous things dating back to last September that has caused the animosity from the fans.
    Posted by dgalehouse

Your'e right. If the guy was a team player, a true Sox, then he would have been cheered, but he isn't.  My first thought was the guy just didin't want to pitch in the rain.

He has a history of getting on the DL for all sorts of reasons.  He refuses to get in shape, he doesn't care about the fans, the guy has earned his reputation.

I wonder if he'll be on the golf course today, after all his days off are is days off.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : Hey Bill get your numbers right PLEASE What MLB Cost in 1935 vs 2012: Average Person's Annual Salary: $1,500 2012 $52,000 1935 MLB ticket ave $1.20 (not .35) it was 6% of a person's salary 2012 MLB ticket ave is $27 it is 5% of a person's salary So it was more expensive to go to a game in 1935 than it is now. Average MLB salary in 1935 was $15,000 today's value is $250K Ruth made $45,000 today that is $757,000 . The salaries of player's is for disclosure since I believe in giving all info. Players are getting paid more today average is $3,000,000.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

He may have been talking about bleacher seats.  I think I paid 50 cents in the late 60's to sit on those glorious benches!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : thanks space for the common sense post...these guys defending him and attacking the fans have total tunnel vision (how convenient as the Church lady once said!)  and i as i posted earlier, how much you bet he drops 25 pounds in the last yr of his contract???
    Posted by georom4

Speaking for myself, I was only saying that booing a player when he's leaving a game with an injury lacks any degree of class. I wasn't defending Beckett.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : Although I do not share your Beckett-hate and lust to denegrate him, I am in total agreement with you Georom.  His balky back has ruined parts or wholes of almost every season since he has been in Boston.  And, it is usually towards the tail end of the season (anyone think the ankle tweak last September wasn't weight related?).  If he commited to core work/yoga/pilates regimen and a proper diet, the dude could experience a rennaisance.  Without it, he is done.  The choice is yours Josh.  Think about this morning over your steak and eggs.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

The guy is fat and happy, he has his rings and his big bucks, the rest is just gravy.  He has no commitment to the team or it's fans.  You can't blame people for being disgusted with him.

I wonder if he's enjoying his round of golf today?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : The guy is fat and happy, he has his rings and his big bucks, the rest is just gravy.  He has no commitment to the team or it's fans.  You can't blame people for being disgusted with him. I wonder if he's enjoying his round of golf today?
    Posted by 67redsox

September 30th, 2014 - that is all he cares about.  And then he's out of baseball and on the ranch and golf course......That's it.  That is all he is playing for and I bet that he mutters "September 30th 2014" to himself throughout the course of the baseball season......

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In Response to Re: Back SPASM....note the singular use : The guy is fat and happy, he has his rings and his big bucks, the rest is just gravy.  He has no commitment to the team or it's fans.  You can't blame people for being disgusted with him. I wonder if he's enjoying his round of golf today?
    Posted by 67redsox

Perhaps 67.  I give him the benefit of the doubt as to his approach and outlook and level of commitment.  However, he gets a big FAIL on his conditioning.  It is evident in looking at him.  Now, many pitchers in the history of the game have been just fine being hefty.  But, if you get lower back injuries year after year after year, the reason is not mysterious.  And he has done nothing to flip that inevitability.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxfilly. Show soxfilly's posts

I've said this before. Knowing what Boston fans can be like why would any free agent want to come here, deal with a very negative, over reactive media that blows every little thing out of proportion and too many fans (I know the minority) who seem to delight wallowing in the same swill. Coming from Boston I wonder what others think of our fair city and I'm not talking about NYC Jets fans or Laker Fans.  Hetchinspete
    Posted by Hetchinspete

I'm a native New Yorker who just happens to be a Red Sox fan. It's been pretty disturbing to notice nary a positive word from the media after a good game. They take 2/3 in the Bronx when all the pressure is on them, and all anyone can talk about on Monday is running Beckett and Crawford out of town. Dozens of articles about Beckett's bad attitude, but barely a one-liner about how he got kicked out of the game right behind Valentine for standing up for his teammate. Don't get me wrong, his attitude stinks at times. But what is the point of all the negativity towards him? We all know he's too stubborn to ever change. There's no way the Sox can get rid of him for a sizable return and nobody on the market that would be an upgrade. So all the trash talking of Beckett has really done is add to the dysfunction and tension. Would I want to stay and talk to the media after the media has done nothing but trash me? Uh, no, not really. This team can't do anything right with the media or the fans. Pedroia tries to play thru an injury and gets told he should have gone on the DL. Beckett comes out of the game with an injury to avoid BOTH the game getting out of hand and a stint on the DL and he gets labeled a "quitter." And the one thing that gets overlooked is that the Sox won. In any other town the headlines would have been about Mortensen slamming the door on the Tigers, Pedro coming up huge in a big spot, the Sox being only 3 1/2 back in the Wild Card, how good Beckett was until the back spasm, how he seems to have gotten over his first inning woes and hoping he is able to make his next start. But I guess in Boston nobody wants to read any of that. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

A few things I want to respond to. I will respond to things people said, I'm not going to take the time to go back and forth to figure out who exactly said what, don't take offense.

For the most part, I agree with the "if you ever boo one of our players again, I won't bring you." There are a few things to consider. When that was said to you, players weren't paid moderately large fortunes to play baseball. They played it, largely, because they loved it. Beckett, on the other hand has:
    -Made no secret that baseball is no longer a priority in his life
    -Acted poorly with the chicken and beer thing, but sunk to new depths with his 8 month obsession with finding the snitch. Never did he admit any wrong-doing for getting Tito fired or the WORST COLLAPSE IN BASEBALL HISTORY
    -All while he's banked well north of 100million dollars, or will have in a few years

When a player goes as far as I feel Beckett has, and have become as SELFISH as he seems to me, he no longer deserves the adulation. He has taken the money, respect and applause, chewed them up, and spit them back in fan's faces...and many want to celebrate and defend him.

Add to that what Spaceman outlined very succinctly: for years now, he has not taken his conditioning, here-go, his career as seriously as he should.

Add to THAT, he had the gaul to complain he only gets 18 off days....nevermind the 6 OFF MONTHS! Which maybe would have been only 5 had he showed up last September. Nevermind on days he doesn't pitch...when's he get to the park? 2 for a 7pm start? Rough life.

Have I had back spasms? I honestly don't know many people who HAVEN'T! I pulled my sciatic nerve and felt it for over a month. I guess it's all relative, there are different levels of pain, and everyone's different...it was manageable. Would it occassionally caus eme to grimace? Sure. But ONE SPASM! And he freaks out and pulls himself out? He's PAID MILLIONS to pitch maybe 35 times a year. I'm sorry, but suck it up. It's ALWAYS something with him. Propensity for blisters, and back spasms, and pulled fat (RIP Rod Beck), and he was about to pass out, and drowsy from meds, and this that and the other thing. ALWAYS something.

When a player puts it on the line for the team, I can accept failure. When someone acts like Beckett has, and performs like he has, and says the things he has...no. I'll save my applause for someone who:

A) Deserves it, and
    B) Wants it.

When has Beckett even hinted that he cared? When he said he wanted to play here, and immediately followed that up with very clearly stating he wouldn't want to stay unless he's wanted? How old is he? How much is he paid again? He still needs more proof? Wah wah WAAAAAHHHHHHH.

Cheer him all you want, but he won't get any more from me, and he has EARNED those boos. Puting on the Boston uniform isn't the free pass some of these guys treat it as, it should be a f u c k ing PRIVILEDGE!

And put me on ignore all you want. Call me a troll if you want. Close to 3000 posts of history, 3 generations, a 5 year old moniker, and no need to feel like I need to prove anything to anyone. I speak from my Red Sox heart what I perceive as truth. Truth isn't always pretty or fun, too bad if that's too much for some to take.

Saltalamacchia deserves this kind of defending...but no, the majority nit-pick his defensive abilities. Point to his low average and complain. All he has done since get here is work hard, absorb what he can, never complain, and he's gotten steadily better. ANd for that, people want to toss the 27 year old out the door.

I'm so disappointed at what this team and fanbase has turned into. I may complain too much, I won't argue that...but what some of you defend, celebrate and support is almost sickening. What more proof does anyone need? Historic collapses, poor performances, missed playoffs, bad attitudes, total lack of accountability...and it's almost as if nothing is wrong. It's wrong to complain about a team having the second highest payroll in the MLB and being 4th in the own division, 10th in their league. Beckett is the very embodiment of this team: talented, overpaid, underperforming, lackadasical, rude, lazy....ugh.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from thefly8. Show thefly8's posts

Back spasm?...I heard he pulled his back lifting the keg into the ice before the game.

Sections
Shortcuts