Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?

why, we have Wakefield if we want him....plus varitek needs some one to play shuffleboard with...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawckinSox. Show RawckinSox's posts

Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?

I'd rather Garza...

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jarretfromportsmouth. Show jarretfromportsmouth's posts

I dont think they have a counter move to make with out overparying.  Garza won't be cheap

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

Not from a position of panick.  If the Garza asking price can be negotiated to a fair level then that would be a good move but Ben shouldn't react out of panic.  Furthermore do we think Kuroda is a sure thing pitching in the AL East?  Many a former NL pitcher is strewn on the road side not able to handle the rigors of the American League East!

Garza is a proven winner here as well so we know what we would be getting.  Kuroda is a crap shoot at this point.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

The yankees are always smarter and quicker than the red sox.
    1996,1998, 1999, 2000, 2009, and a couple of near misses in
    2001 and 2003 are ample evidence. Meanwhile the Red Sox
    diddle around with senior citizens like V Tek and Wakefield
    who have lingered long past their prime. As it is the Sox will
    struggle to finish third this year. The Rays have better starting
    pitching while Jennings, Upton, Longoria and Zobrist will hit
    enough to beat the Sox. CRawford and Lackey were daggers in
    the back by Epstein, which will haunt the Sox for years to come.
    We just have nobody to trade with if we want Garza. The Sox
    are a crippled franchise, with no farm system, an injured
    third baseman, an aging shortstop, and no right fielder. And
    God help them if one of the big three front line pitchers goes
    down. The Yanks are laughing up their sleeves at us !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

I just love how everyone seems to like to spend other peoples money.  If a team can't win with a 180 mil payroll maybe it does'nt deserve to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Plluto29. Show Plluto29's posts

The Red Sox have already made it perfectly clear that they aren't going to do anything but stink and lose in 2012. Third or Fourth place finish at best.  You can't win without pitching and the Sox don't have a 4th or 5th or a 6th and 7th Starter (The Sox always need 6th and 7th starter due to injuries) and they are putting way too much faith in Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz.  The line-up is light at SS, RF, Catcher, bench,  bullpen, overrated in LF, 3b, and solid only at 1b, 2b, CF.  There are alot of teams in both leagues who can boast of the same "talent' level as the Sox without the publicity.

If the Sox were actually interested in winning in 2012 they would have:

1)  Acquired Matt Garza already

2)  Signed another quality arm for starting and the bullpen

3)  Traded for/Signed a quality power hitting right-handed Rf

4)  Signed a power-hitting bench reserve OF/IF

The Sox made it perfectly clear that they weren't willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold which equals they aren't willing to do what it takes to put a competitive team on the field i.e. a team that can make the playoffs. What makes anyone believe the Sox collapse in September is not actually a sign that the team's overall talent is severely overrated and needing upgrades as indicated above?  Many seem to believe that September collapes was merely an aberration and that the Sox, under Valentine will turn it around and be the good.  I think Valentine will be good but I also believe that he has been given an overpaid, underachieving, undermanned team that had holes in in before last season and now has even more holes in it before this year.  Holes that have not nearly been addressed by the Sox. Here's to a <hopefully /> better year in 2013 than what we will be seeing in 2012.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

In Response to Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox have already made it perfectly clear that they aren't going to do anything but stink and lose in 2012. Third or Fourth place finish at best.  You can't win without pitching and the Sox don't have a 4th or 5th or a 6th and 7th Starter (The Sox always need 6th and 7th starter due to injuries) and they are putting way too much faith in Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz.  The line-up is light at SS, RF, Catcher, bench,  bullpen, overrated in LF, 3b, and solid only at 1b, 2b, CF.  There are alot of teams in both leagues who can boast of the same "talent' level as the Sox without the publicity. If the Sox were actually interested in winning in 2012 they would have: 1)  Acquired Matt Garza already 2)  Signed another quality arm for starting and the bullpen 3)  Traded for/Signed a quality power hitting right-handed Rf 4)  Signed a power-hitting bench reserve OF/IF The Sox made it perfectly clear that they weren't willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold which equals they aren't willing to do what it takes to put a competitive team on the field i.e. a team that can make the playoffs. What makes anyone believe the Sox collapse in September is not actually a sign that the team's overall talent is severely overrated and needing upgrades as indicated above?  Many seem to believe that September collapes was merely an aberration and that the Sox, under Valentine will turn it around and be the good.  I think Valentine will be good but I also believe that he has been given an overpaid, underachieving, undermanned team that had holes in in before last season and now has even more holes in it before this year.  Holes that have not nearly been addressed by the Sox. Here's to a <hopefully /> better year in 2013 than what we will be seeing in 2012.
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

WOW the Truck hasnt even been packed yet and the season is over.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Its not looking good at this point unless they have a deal or plan to get a boafide pitcher not throwaways, conversions from bullpen to starting rotation. This throway garbage, reclamation projects are okay if you have  Oswalt and Garza in addition to Beckett, Lester, and Bucholtz. They can be waiting in the wings in case of an injury but to depend on this garbage is rediculous to a team like the Red Sox and their resources. No more about the luxury tax either, the Yankees have already thrown caution to the wind there.

In Response to Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]WOW the Truck hasnt even been packed yet and the season is over.
    Posted by wallyac[/QUOTE]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

[QUOTE]The Red Sox have already made it perfectly clear that they aren't going to do anything but stink and lose in 2012. Third or Fourth place finish at best.  You can't win without pitching and the Sox don't have a 4th or 5th or a 6th and 7th Starter (The Sox always need 6th and 7th starter due to injuries) and they are putting way too much faith in Beckett, Lester, and Buchholz.  The line-up is light at SS, RF, Catcher, bench,  bullpen, overrated in LF, 3b, and solid only at 1b, 2b, CF.  There are alot of teams in both leagues who can boast of the same "talent' level as the Sox without the publicity. If the Sox were actually interested in winning in 2012 they would have: 1)  Acquired Matt Garza already 2)  Signed another quality arm for starting and the bullpen 3)  Traded for/Signed a quality power hitting right-handed Rf 4)  Signed a power-hitting bench reserve OF/IF The Sox made it perfectly clear that they weren't willing to exceed the luxury tax threshold which equals they aren't willing to do what it takes to put a competitive team on the field i.e. a team that can make the playoffs. What makes anyone believe the Sox collapse in September is not actually a sign that the team's overall talent is severely overrated and needing upgrades as indicated above?  Many seem to believe that September collapes was merely an aberration and that the Sox, under Valentine will turn it around and be the good.  I think Valentine will be good but I also believe that he has been given an overpaid, underachieving, undermanned team that had holes in in before last season and now has even more holes in it before this year.  Holes that have not nearly been addressed by the Sox. Here's to a <hopefully /> better year in 2013 than what we will be seeing in 2012.
    Posted by Plluto29[/QUOTE]
    Well stated Plluto29! I totally agree. With Pineda and Kuroda to go along with CC, Nova, Hughes and Burnett the Yankees are set to strongly defend their ALE Crown against the always tough Rays and upcoming Blue Jays. Yesterday's moves by the Yankees supports my position all along that third place in the ALE is a true best case scenario for our Red Sox. It is simply going to be a year whereby we let another year go by paying off the huge contracts to Lackey, DiceK and Crawford. It will be a few years before we can truly compete for the ALE Title.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees? : Well stated Plluto29! I totally agree. With Pineda and Kuroda to go along with CC, Nova, Hughes and Burnett the Yankees are set to strongly defend their ALE Crown against the always tough Rays and upcoming Blue Jays. Yesterday's moves by the Yankees supports my position all along that third place in the ALE is a true best case scenario for our Red Sox. It is simply going to be a year whereby we let another year go by paying off the huge contracts to Lackey, DiceK and Crawford. It will be a few years before we can truly compete for the ALE Title.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]

Its appearing more and more they dont weant to spend any more money and they have finaly been bitten by all of the bad contracts they have handed out recently maybe now they will do things right

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

[QUOTE]Its not looking good at this point unless they have a deal or plan to get a boafide pitcher not throwaways, conversions from bullpen to starting rotation. This throway garbage, reclamation projects are okay if you have  Oswalt and Garza in addition to Beckett, Lester, and Bucholtz. They can be waiting in the wings in case of an injury but to depend on this garbage is rediculous to a team like the Red Sox and their resources. No more about the luxury tax either, the Yankees have already thrown caution to the wind there. In Response to Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees? :
    Posted by AL34[/QUOTE]

Yanks are only putting out 10 mil for both pitchers together - less than what they were paying Posada, so their salary still goes down even with the acquisition of both of them.  Pineda will belong to them for 5 years and they are only giving Kuroda a one year deal. Besides when was the last time the Yanks were concerned about luxury tax?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from antiqueman1. Show antiqueman1's posts

Why again is it a bad day for Sox fans? No, you don't counter the Yankees just to appease the fan base. You continue to weed out the Theo mistakes however you can. Just spending money to counter the Yankees is what got this Red Sox team off track in the first place years ago. The Yankees do what the Yankees do best, spend money. The Sox just don't do this well. They do better with the nitty gritty players. The Sox need to get to work with the players they have. Get into shape and play up to their potential. If they can do that, then they can compete and beat the Yankees and everyone else. Now, that is not to say don't acquire another pitcher, like Oswalt or Garza, but at the right price. No need to overspend again. It is time to get back to Red Sox baseball, not trying to become the Yankee copycats.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees? : I would like to see the Sox trade for Garza also.
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Who ever started this Garza bull sh.........

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

no idea but I don't like it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?": [QUOTE]Why again is it a bad day for Sox fans? No, you don't counter the Yankees just to appease the fan base. You continue to weed out the Theo mistakes however you can. Just spending money to counter the Yankees is what got this Red Sox team off track in the first place years ago. The Yankees do what the Yankees do best, spend money. The Sox just don't do this well. They do better with the nitty gritty players. The Sox need to get to work with the players they have. Get into shape and play up to their potential. If they can do that, then they can compete and beat the Yankees and everyone else. Now, that is not to say don't acquire another pitcher, like Oswalt or Garza, but at the right price. No need to overspend again. It is time to get back to Red Sox baseball, not trying to become the Yankee copycats. Posted by antiqueman1[/QUOTE] Whew, thanks...after reading the "entitled" drivel on this thread, its nice to see something refreshing...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Bad day for Sox fans-while Ben was sleeping. Do the Red Sox counter Yankees?:
    [QUOTE]Should Ben go over the luxury tax and sign Roy Oswalt?
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

Why is this a bad day for Sox fans? I never thought that it was a bad day for Yankee fans when the Sox royally scr*wed SD to get Gonzalez. Teams make roster decisions based on need. Sox are fine offensiveley and just need to sure up their pitching a bit. F.A. was tough this year and some of the asking prices are out of control. I do think BoSox should have resigned Paps, but that is just an opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimedfred. Show jimedfred's posts

Some of you people are just PANICKING !

Anyone recall how much help Kevin Brown, Vazquez, Randy Johnson, or A.J. Burnett gave the NYY ? Seems to me Boston almost won in '03 and did win in '04 and '07.
    Starting pitching can be VERY inconsistent, especially older N.L. types like Kuroda.
    And the kid from Seattle , although young, inexpensive, and potentially quite talented, MAY just suffer some serious sophomore jinx now that he's in the Bronx where fly balls become HR and games actually matter !
    My guess is Mariners just preferred Montero / Noesi to our offer, probably LaVarnway & maybe Ranaudo ?
    Relax people, maybe Felix Doubront or Alex Wilson or someone steps up in 2012 and wins 20 in "the Show" ? And J.C.Linares wins job in right field ? ( his numbers in Cuba compared favorably with Yoenis Cespedes)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]Some of you people are just PANICKING ! Anyone recall how much help Kevin Brown, Vazquez, Randy Johnson, or A.J. Burnett gave the NYY ? Seems to me Boston almost won in '03 and did win in '04 and '07. Starting pitching can be VERY inconsistent, especially older N.L. types like Kuroda. And the kid from Seattle , although young, inexpensive, and potentially quite talented, MAY just suffer some serious sophomore jinx now that he's in the Bronx where fly balls become HR and games actually matter ! My guess is Mariners just preferred Montero / Noesi to our offer, probably LaVarnway & maybe Ranaudo ? Relax people, maybe Felix Doubront or Alex Wilson or someone steps up in 2012 and wins 20 in "the Show" ? And J.C.Linares wins job in right field ? ( his numbers in Cuba compared favorably with Yoenis Cespedes)
    Posted by jimedfred[/QUOTE]

I agree to a certain extent. When it comes to kids, you just never know what you are going to get. I think the Yankee moves yesterday had more to do with 2013 & 2014 as much as this upcoming year. Kuroda is one year and goodbye. It is depth in the rotation and as we all saw last year, pitching depth is important in the AL. I believe what NY did was look to sure up a rotation of young kids going into the future.

As to NY offering better than Boston, I did not read any reports that the Sox looked to execute a similiar trade with Seattle.

Sections
Shortcuts