Bad decisions this year dictate trade next year

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Bad decisions this year dictate major trade next year

Because of the ineptness of the FO in allowing Ellsbury and Saltalamachia and this teams inability to hit and waste good pitching performances, they will have to deal their pitching for a hitter who can actually hit the ball. If they had hung onto Ellsbury and Saltalamachia they would be in excellent position to bring their young pitching up and slowly develop their rookies through struggles as opposed to throwing Bradley and Baeggerts under the bus this year and watching them really struggle. 

Lets face it this year is shot, team wins 2 out of 3 games from Yankees then throw up all over themselves by scoring 1 run in 18 innings against Chicago. Real pathetic, no way are they going to be buyers the way they are playing right now.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Re: Bad decisions this year dictate trade next year

In response to AL34's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Because of the ineptness of the FO in allowing Ellsbury and Saltalamachia and this teams inability to hit and waste good pitching performances, they will have to deal their pitching for a hitter who can actually hit the ball. If they had hung onto Ellsbury and Saltalamachia they would be in excellent position to bring their young pitching up and slowly develop their rookies through struggles as opposed to throwing Bradley and Baeggerts under the bus this year and watching them really struggle. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement] The off season performance left much to be desired, to say the least. But you will never get many on here to agree on it. They stick to their guns, no matter how much the team struggles.Give them credit for that.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1) Not outbidding the Yanks to keep Ellsbury was a good decision.

2) The benching of Salty during the WS burned the bridge. I doubt he would have come back here, even if we outbid the Marlins. I can't really count this as a "bad decision this year".

3) Extending Napoli & Papi: probably good decisions, but in hindsight, maybe signing Abreu or Cruz would have been better.

4) Signing Mujica (which I called for beforehand) was a bad decision.

5) Signing Sizemore: bad, but low risk- little lost.

6) Signing Badenhop & Capuano: good decisions.

I don't blame Ben for nearly every position player under performing all at once, and I had hoped he'd add a big bat this past winter, but the cost and risk of the big names were not too enticing at the time.

It's easy to look back now and say, Ben should have signed Cruz and Abreu, instead of Napoli, Sizemore, Mujica, and Pierzynski, but not many posters here can say they supported that plan back then.

Ultimately, and perhaps unfairly, GMs are judged in hindsight, but many of the posters here who bashed Ben before last seasons World Series run, may not have given Ben that same "hindsight" judgement that they are giving him now. "We got lucky" last year, some may say or think, but they are not willing to say we "got unlucky" this year.

Certainly, if blame does need to be assigned, Ben should get his fair share for this year's results, but under the circumstances, I think all of his moves and non moves can be justified. I can just imagine all the threads started to bash Ben had he signed Cruz or Abreu and they fizzled out.

Sox4ever

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Not outbidding the Yankees for Ellsbury may or may not have been a good decision. Failing to replace the lost productivity was a very bad decision. Everyone knew that we needed a right handed power bat. We low balled a bid for Abreu and were outbid by , not the Yankees, but the White Sox for heavens sake. We ignored Cruz completely, maybe due to the steroid issue. Saying that Salty would not have come back is pure speculation. We had zero interest in Cho , or even the lower cost Davis. How can Capuano be a good decision? We just released him, still on the hook for one million. This is not to even mention Tanaka. Now we give Drew 10 mil, even though he is not the type of player to make much of an impact.  A G.M. is a business executive. He should always be judged on results. Evaluating talent and anticipating performance are the essence of his job. By any objective measure, Ben is having a very bad year. I am not at all saying that he should be fired. He had a great year last year. He has earned some leeway. But to deny that he messed up this off season, is to be in denial of reality. 

Stabbed by Foulke.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Let's face it. Bradley Jr, Xander and Betts were all rushed to the big leagues...Xander was terrific last year, and is having his sophomore jinx this year, Bradley is loving CF but can't hit, and Betts has no business on a MLB roster let alone a AAA roster.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

THis team is now the Cubs when Theo took over.  That's the direction they need to take.  We need sock it up and deal with a few bridge years before serious contention.  

Sign Lester.  Keep Holt.  Pedey's around.  Let Ortiz play out his contract thru 2015.   Send Betts back down ASAP before we risk another BradleyBust.

Anyone else is up for dealing - not that we'll get much for them.  The FA market looks thin next year.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from az55. Show az55's posts

Ben does not hit or pitch and he is pretty much told what he can spend. The ever shrinking Sox payroll is the major cause of this sad season. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2) The benching of Salty during the WS burned the bridge. I doubt he would have come back here, even if we outbid the Marlins. I can't really count this as a "bad decision this year".

3) Extending Napoli & Papi: probably good decisions, but in hindsight, maybe signing Abreu or Cruz would have been better.

I don't blame Ben for nearly every position player under performing all at once, and I had hoped he'd add a big bat this past winter, but the cost and risk of the big names were not too enticing at the time.

It's easy to look back now and say, Ben should have signed Cruz and Abreu, instead of Napoli, Sizemore, Mujica, and Pierzynski, but not many posters here can say they supported that plan back then.

Ultimately, and perhaps unfairly, GMs are judged in hindsight, but many of the posters here who bashed Ben before last seasons World Series run, may not have given Ben that same "hindsight" judgement that they are giving him now. "We got lucky" last year, some may say or think, but they are not willing to say we "got unlucky" this year.

Certainly, if blame does need to be assigned, Ben should get his fair share for this year's results, but under the circumstances, I think all of his moves and non moves can be justified. I can just imagine all the threads started to bash Ben had he signed Cruz or Abreu and they fizzled out.

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

This FO never outbids the Yankees on anything. They always get the better of us.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

This FO never outbids the Yankees on anything. They always get the better of us.

[/QUOTE]

Thats because they have more money to spend.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Let's face it. Bradley Jr, Xander and Betts were all rushed to the big leagues...Xander was terrific last year, and is having his sophomore jinx this year, Bradley is loving CF but can't hit, and Betts has no business on a MLB roster let alone a AAA roster.

[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything up until AAA roster.  He was doing just fine down in Pawtucket. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to az55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ben does not hit or pitch and he is pretty much told what he can spend. The ever shrinking Sox payroll is the major cause of this sad season. Sometimes you don't get what you pay for.

[/QUOTE]

That's because Larry Luchinno is really running the team and Ben is his coffee boy. Larry hides in the annals of Fenway and is the hatchet man for this team. That's why when the big trade with the Dodgers was made, they called Larry, not Ben two years ago.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Sox4ever

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats because they have more money to spend.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

[/QUOTE]

Except back in 2006 with Johnny Damon and Ellsbury. Henry has a ton of money, don't worry about saving his money for him, because he is not worried about saving your money.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Three rookies brought up and all of them showing that they struggle with major league pitching. Yeah Larry this is what the fans have been waiting for position players who all struggle to hit. I cannot wait to see our super star catcher come up from Pawtucket and see him struggle to hit as well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

But all of them play excellent defense!!! Doesn't pitching and defense win rings? 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Three rookies brought up and all of them showing that they struggle with major league pitching. Yeah Larry this is what the fans have been waiting for position players who all struggle to hit. I cannot wait to see our super star catcher come up from Pawtucket and see him struggle to hit as well.

this is delusional.  Rookie struggles are on Larrys shoulders???

This is what Rookies often do, especially 21 year old rookies.  Everyone wanted Bogaerts in Boston and he was smashing it in Pawtucket, same can be said for Betts.

This board is becoming more cynical by the day. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Abreu was signed during the World Series and that would have been bad for Napoli to see in the World Series and created real bad feelings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is what Rookies often do, especially 21 year old rookies.  Everyone wanted Bogaerts in Boston and he was smashing it in Pawtucket, same can be said for Betts.

[/QUOTE]

Because this is not what was being sold to us by Larry and Ben. They said that we did not need Ellsbury and Saltalamachia because we had "Major League" ready prospects to come in and replace them. I Have watched Jackie Bradley now for parts of two years and he cannot hit his weight. Baegerts , I am not sure about. But the loss of hitting by the loss of those two free agents is major at this point.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:
    [QUOTE]

But all of them play excellent defense!!! Doesn't pitching and defense win rings? 

[/QUOTE]

So does timely hitting, which we do not have at all. Made up two games against the Yankees and then lost them right back with this series. This team is dead this year and it's ashamed because of the pitching gems that have been pitched where we cannot hit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

People are well within their rights to criticize some of the moves and non-moves made by the FO.  But nobody should be criticizing the FO for their willingness to spend.  That is not the problem.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Because this is not what was being sold to us by Larry and Ben. They said that we did not need Ellsbury and Saltalamachia because we had "Major League" ready prospects to come in and replace them. I Have watched Jackie Bradley now for parts of two years and he cannot hit his weight. Baegerts , I am not sure about. But the loss of hitting by the loss of those two free agents is major at this point.

[/QUOTE]

Who on earth didn't think Bogaerts was MLB ready???

He was the #2 prospect in the country, baseball america, soxprospects, every scout in the universe raved about him.  And FWIW he looked pretty good earlier this year showing amazing on base skills.  So what???? was Luchino supposed to have a crystal ball???

as I said before, this board is becoming more cynical by the day. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

That's because Larry Luchinno is really running the team and Ben is his coffee boy. Larry hides in the annals of Fenway and is the hatchet man for this team. That's why when the big trade with the Dodgers was made, they called Larry, not Ben two years ago.

[/QUOTE]

Do you really think it was Larry's idea to sign guys like Victorino, Napoli, Gomes and Drew last year? 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

The jury is still out on Bradley being a bust. Needs more time hitting. Betts was rushed up to Boston in desperation. I don't care how bad a team is bringing a young kid up who has only played less than 100 games between AA and AAA is foolish. Even though his avg was great in minor league ball major league is a whole different story. He needs more time. Injuries to Vic have basically plagued the OF. Some players overachieved last year. Time will tell.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Do you really think it was Larry's idea to sign guys like Victorino, Napoli, Gomes and Drew last year? 

AL has thought this everything was Larry's decision and fault 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

AL has thought for years everything is Larry decision and fault. 

[/QUOTE]

Except last year, I'm guessing.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So what, they should have re-signed Ellsbury for 7 years and groomed Bradley to be the 2021 center fielder?