Bad Time for Team Batting Slump

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Bad Time for Team Batting Slump

I realize that the Detroit Tigers have excellent starting pitching, but this is ridiculous! The Old Towne team better start eating their Wheaties soon...or they'll gone soon.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Re: Bad Time for Team Batting Slump

So true.  The team has more nearly three times Ks than hits! At least in Game 4, they are hitting but with RISP, the performance is beyond pathetic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

They had a slump liked this sometime in august I think.  Bad timing, I hope they come of it really fast!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

I believe they will. Keep the faith.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:

2nd time against Sanchez will be better, let's hope more than a little better.

Glad that you were right...and that the Sox are starting to hit a bit, again. Winning Game 5 was a must for them. Otherwise, they would have had to beat both Max Scherzer and Justin Verlander to advance to the WS. That would have truly been a Herculean task. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Good pitching usually trumps good hitting.  Two 1-0 games between the two best offenses in MLB.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The two best offenses in the game....neither team is tearing the cover off the ball...The Sox are up 3 games to 2...winning two of three in Detriot. Now have 2 shots to advance...

Great pitching beats, great hitting...

Good pitching beats, good hitting...

Great hitting beats, good pitching

Good hitting beats, mediocre pitching...

All of the above are time honored adages that have been proved true for the last century...a dynamic that still exist today. Great pitching trumps all, Scherzer and Buccholz both have a chance to come up big...As we saw last night in St. Louis...the kid Wacha came up big, Kershaw the CY young certainty in the NL layed an egg. In the postseason your résumé doesn't garentee success only the promiss of what could be.

Here's another...Key to winning in the post season..."pitching, defense and timely hitting"' if you look back at the first five games...you will find examples of each having played a factor in the outcome of every game...My guess is that game 6 will follow much the same pattern and the winner will likely outplay the other in all three of the above criteria. 

Go Sox!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from futbal. Show futbal's posts

Adjustment for tonight: swing at the first strike fastball if it is over the plate, likely the best pitch (most hittable) a batter will see; Take a hack. After the first pitch look for the 12-6 curveball to drive it right back up the middle but don't over swing, just line it back in the pitcher's direction (or go the other way but don't pull a good curveball which is a strike or a ground all).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

Have to figure out Scherzer and not wait until they face the BP to make up for the lost ground.  Early lead, and maintain it for the rest of the game, should be the recipe for this.  Anything less will make it harder and less probable to win the game.

Bucholz has to pitch better than he did in game 2.  Can't depend on the miracle GS by Papi to bail him out again.

If they can win the game today, Sox have to create a sense of momentum to match what Cards did to Kershaw yesterday - that was some spanking of the best pitcher out in the wood shed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

We have to stop swinging at balls a foot out of the K-Zone.

I know that sounds oversimplifying, but to me, that will be the key to beating the Tigers one out of the next 2.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If the sox keep on slumping like this they just might find themselves in the world series.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

The Sox offense improved with the last game. I'd like to see it improve more with tonight's game.  We need less men left on base.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to miscricket's comment:

The Sox offense improved with the last game. I'd like to see it improve more with tonight's game.  We need less men left on base.

This Sox team just keeps on finding ways to win. It's amazing how this group of basically role players has meshed...almost as amazing as John Lackey's comeback from oblivion this season. Congratulations, Sox! On to the Cardinals!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The two best offenses in the game....neither team is tearing the cover off the ball...The Sox are up 3 games to 2...winning two of three in Detriot. Now have 2 shots to advance...

Good pitching beats, good hitting...

Great hitting beats, good pitching

Good hitting beats, mediocre pitching...

All of the above are time honored adages that have been proved true for the last century...a dynamic that still exist today. Great pitching trumps all, Scherzer and Buccholz both have a chance to come up big...As we saw last night in St. Louis...the kid Wacha came up big, Kershaw the CY young certainty in the NL layed an egg. In the postseason your résumé doesn't garentee success only the promiss of what could be.

Here's another...Key to winning in the post season..."pitching, defense and timely hitting"' if you look back at the first five games...you will find examples of each having played a factor in the outcome of every game...My guess is that game 6 will follow much the same pattern and the winner will likely outplay the other in all three of the above criteria. 

Go Sox!

[/QUOTE]

Pitching...Buchholz and the pen

Defense... Drew's play to save a run and Pedey's double play tagging out Martinezcand then getting Prince...saved at least a run..

Timely hitting...Vic goes yard.

Next stop the WS....Red Sox v Cardinals...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Pitching...Buchholz and the pen

Defense... Drew's play to save a run and Pedey's double play tagging out Martinezcand then getting Prince...saved at least a run..

Timely hitting...Vic goes yard.

Next stop the WS....Red Sox v Cardinals...

[/QUOTE]

To me, the "Play of the ALCS Series" has to be Papi's grand slam in Game #2, which erased a 5-1 deficit, and gave the Sox life. Without that hit, the Tigers would have been up 2-0, going to Detroit to play three straight...and it would have been curtains for the Sox. 

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedSoxFireman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

False.

[/QUOTE]

In some cases it does.  So Ortiz finishes the alcs with 2 hits and a .87 average.  One monster hit but left a lot of men on after that.  I wonder if he starts in the NL parks?  Guess it depends on games one and two.

[/QUOTE]

"false"

TRUE.

"In some cases it does"

Make up your mind fireman/4040.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to The4040club's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In some cases it does.  So Ortiz finishes the alcs with 2 hits and a .87 average.  One monster hit but left a lot of men on after that.  I wonder if he starts in the NL parks?  Guess it depends on games one and two.

[/QUOTE]

You just never let up, do you?

Do you know what Victorino's numbers in the ALCS were before he hit the grand slam?

Sections
Shortcuts