Bad timing, Ace...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

Bad timing, Ace...

Aceves picked a bad time to get absolutely shelled today, especially with Doubront pitching very well against Miami. Bard can really help himself tomorrow as he is scheduled to go 6 innings. There's still a ways to go, but Aceves certainly didn't help himself today...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Bad timing, Ace...

I doubt 1 ST game shall matter. If it was somebody NOT on the 25 man roster, maybe.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Bad timing, Ace...":
    I doubt 1 ST game shall matter. If it was somebody NOT on the 25 man roster, maybe. Posted by nhsteven
    Completely disagree. There are 3 guys battling for 2 rotation spots & your telling me "performance" doesn't matter at this point? What are they going to base their decision on then, rock, paper, scissors?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: Bad timing, Ace...:
    I doubt 1 ST game shall matter. If it was somebody NOT on the 25 man roster, maybe.
    Posted by nhsteven
      I can not agree...... "let me be clear",  Bobby V. knows full well that the value ov both Aceves & Bard is in the pen...... Doubront (left hander) & Cook(sinker baller) will be your 4th & 5th starters......  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Bad timing, Ace... :   I can not agree...... "let me be clear",  Bobby V. knows full well that the value ov both Aceves & Bard is in the pen...... Doubront (left hander) & Cook(sinker baller) will be your 4th & 5th starters......   Posted by Bill-806
    Actually Bill, it sounds like you agree with him and these starts don't matter since they've already decided, although it will be stretch to say Cook will be ready in time...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In response to "Re: Bad timing, Ace...": Actually Bill, it sounds like you agree with him and these starts don't matter since they've already decided, although it will be stretch to say Cook will be ready in time...
    Posted by jasko2248

Just took a look at the schedule for April and unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like the Sox need a #5 until April 24th.  With all of the days off, they could keep the starters on regular rest by just using #1-#4.  Cook would certainly be ready by April 24th and he has a May 1 opt out.  Doubront could be the #4 since he can't be optioned to the minors, while it's easy to assign Cook to AAA.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

Buchholtz giving up 5 yesterday was not good either. That is 14 ERs in two straight games from Buch and AA. And don't give me that come back that ST does not matter, you are the same folks who in April, May, June and July say, "your concern does not matter because it is early". IMO EVERY outing matters, today's for AA was critical in terms of his attempt to be a starter and he failed miserably.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Bad timing, Ace... : Just took a look at the schedule for April and unless I'm missing something, it doesn't look like the Sox need a #5 until April 24th.  With all of the days off, they could keep the starters on regular rest by just using #1-#4.  Cook would certainly be ready by April 24th and he has a May 1 opt out.  Doubront could be the #4 since he can't be optioned to the minors, while it's easy to assign Cook to AAA. Posted by JB-3
    I looked at that as well, JB-3, but they are going to use a number 5 the 2nd week apparently. If Bard pitches well tomorrow, he's going to make it more difficult for them to move him back to the pen. He does have a 2.70 e.r.a. as a starter this spring and 9 out of the 10 innings he's pitched as a starter, he didn't give up a run...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In response to "Re: Bad timing, Ace...": I looked at that as well, JB-3, but they are going to use a number 5 the 2nd week apparently. If Bard pitches well tomorrow, he's going to make it more difficult for them to move him back to the pen. He does have a 2.70 e.r.a. as a starter this spring and 9 out of the 10 innings he's pitched as a starter, he didn't give up a run...
    Posted by jasko2248

My only problem with Bard is his lack of a 3rd pitch (which I believe is contributing to his high BB count).  He said after his last start that he was "in between grips" for his changeup.  Supposedly he was working on that pitch all spring and now he's going to change his grip?  Maybe he takes the #5 spot in the rotation until Cook is stretched out, he could be optioned down to stay on schedule until the 2nd week.  I don't see any reason that Cook won't be on the MLB roster before his May 1 opt out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Bad timing, Ace... : My only problem with Bard is his lack of a 3rd pitch (which I believe is contributing to his high BB count).  He said after his last start that he was "in between grips" for his changeup.  Supposedly he was working on that pitch all spring and now he's going to change his grip?  Maybe he takes the #5 spot in the rotation until Cook is stretched out, he could be optioned down to stay on schedule until the 2nd week.  I don't see any reason that Cook won't be on the MLB roster before his May 1 opt out. Posted by JB-3
    I see your point, but Bard also said yesterday that he wanted to work on locating his fastball & slider in his last start. The change up needs to be there, though. I think we'll see a lot of them tomorrow. I'd be happy if Cook & Doubront end up stabilizing the rotation as well as the pen with Bard & Aceves, but if he pitches well over his next few starts, it's going to be difficult to move him back to the pen. Again, these things tend to work themselves out. We'll see...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In response to "Re: Bad timing, Ace...": I see your point, but Bard also said yesterday that he wanted to work on locating his fastball & slider in his last start. The change up needs to be there, though. I think we'll see a lot of them tomorrow. I'd be happy if Cook & Doubront end up stabilizing the rotation as well as the pen with Bard & Aceves, but if he pitches well over his next few starts, it's going to be difficult to move him back to the pen. Again, these things tend to work themselves out. We'll see...
    Posted by jasko2248

Completely agree that these things usually work themselves out.  That being said, Bard knows that Bobby V is looking for Bard to show a serviceable 3rd pitch.  Bobby V came out and said that he was very disappointed that Bard only threw 1 changeup in his last outing.  It'd be different if he was just getting ready for the season, but when fighting for a starting spot, you need to appease the manager and show him what he wants to see so he's comfortable with an evaluation.  Just my 2 cents.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In Response to Re: Bad timing, Ace... : Completely agree that these things usually work themselves out.  That being said, Bard knows that Bobby V is looking for Bard to show a serviceable 3rd pitch.  Bobby V came out and said that he was very disappointed that Bard only threw 1 changeup in his last outing.  It'd be different if he was just getting ready for the season, but when fighting for a starting spot, you need to appease the manager and show him what he wants to see so he's comfortable with an evaluation.  Just my 2 cents. Posted by JB-3
    I completely agree...that was the question he was asked, regarding Bobby V & the lack of changeups. He said he wanted to get more comfortable with his "bread & butter" first. I think we'll see him appease his manager tomorrow. I think there is definitely something to Bobby V preferring Bard to pitch out of the pen...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In response to "Re: Bad timing, Ace...": I completely agree...that was the question he was asked, regarding Bobby V & the lack of changeups. He said he wanted to get more comfortable with his "bread & butter" first. I think we'll see him appease his manager tomorrow. I think there is definitely something to Bobby V preferring Bard to pitch out of the pen...
    Posted by jasko2248

I think a lot of that stems from what he's seen out of Bailey and Melancon this spring.  I don't think there's any questions that a pen with Ace, Bard, Bailey, and Melancon is better than one with Bailey, Melancon and Doubront.  As long as we have good options for the 4th and 5th rotation spots, there's no reason to blow up the pen.  I'd still like to see Ace in the rotation, but I think Doubront is a better fit and Cook seems like he'd be better in the rotation than out of the pen, while the Sox FO has historically looked to preserve organization pitching depth, which would mean keeping Cook past May 1st, and keeping him in the rotation.  Ace could always be optioned mid season to build up stamina to start if he needed to.  Same with Bard.

Sections
Shortcuts