Balls / strikes, challenge and instant review ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Balls / strikes, challenge and instant review ...

Ortiz misbehaved and will be punished, but did have every reason to be concerned about the calling of the balls and strikes.

I've long been fed up with umpires inability to locate the strike zone, and I have another variation of a system that would keep the game moving quickly, and yet give pitchers, batters and coaches some relief without slowing down the game.

Imagine that one to three umpires were reviewing balls and strikes from PitchF/x in real time, and rating them before any challenge was made.

A manager, with three challenges (pick a number) per contest sees a call he'd like to argue and pushed a button in the dugout which instantly raises a challenge flag.

The umpires off the field have already ruled ball / strike, so the challenge is instantly either upheld or declined. There would be no time consuming review as with home run calls.

I think this would do a lot to eliminate acting out or arguing over balls and strikes. It would also offer a relief valve for blown calls that could change the outcome of the game -- and there are many.

The umpires might even go for this because it would employ more of them every game.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Balls / strikes, challenge and instant review ...

That guy last night was awful.  Earlier, Dempster threw a  pitch right down the middle for Machado for strike three ...  but the ump called  it a call.  (Machado then grouunded into a 6-4-3 to end the inning, so it actually worked out for us).

Anyway, yes, Papi had reason to be  pissed ... but not that pissed.

In answer to  your question, I don't  believe balls and strikes should ever be subjected to review.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

Ortiz misbehaved and will be punished, but did have every reason to be concerned about the calling of the balls and strikes.

I've long been fed up with umpires inability to locate the strike zone, and I have another variation of a system that would keep the game moving quickly, and yet give pitchers, batters and coaches some relief without slowing down the game.

Imagine that one to three umpires were reviewing balls and strikes from PitchF/x in real time, and rating them before any challenge was made.

A manager, with three challenges (pick a number) per contest sees a call he'd like to argue and pushed a button in the dugout which instantly raises a challenge flag.

The umpires off the field have already ruled ball / strike, so the challenge is instantly either upheld or declined. There would be no time consuming review as with home run calls.

I think this would do a lot to eliminate acting out or arguing over balls and strikes. It would also offer a relief valve for blown calls that could change the outcome of the game -- and there are many.

The umpires might even go for this because it would employ more of them every game.

i don't think there should be a limit to how many times you can ask for a correct call. That ump in the booth should be watching every play and correct any errant calls. Give him a headset and BAM! 100% accurate calls with instant transmission.

Umpires think they are bigger than the game. They are supposed to be unbiased officiators and all too often let it get personal. I understand that they are human and mistakes will be made but there is a big difference between making a mistake and blatantly making the wrong call to "send a message" to a player.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

I too am growing tired of umps screwing up. Yes instant replay does not help but there have been blatant missed calls.

Last week a guy stole 2nd was safe and the ump called him out.

Even Drew's  HR the announcers were sayingit was a HR before the replay.,

Absolutely no reason not to have an ump involved looking at replays and talking to the crew chief (CC) all the time.

He could virtually immediately tell the CC if the call was right. He could even tell the CC between innings that according to K zone the ump is missing calls on the low outside corner or calling strikes that are low and outside.

LOVE my  Red Sox, Bs, Cs, Pats and enjoy the ride every year.