Bard and Aceves

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Bard and Aceves

If Mr. Ben has it in his plan to use both Bard and Aceves as starters this year, he is more clueless than people give him credit for.
    Both these guys belong in the BP. Bard is unproven as a starter, and Aceves has a toal of 9 starts over 4 seasons, and neither have built the stamina required to pitch 6 or 7 innings, let alone a complete game.
    ST is too short to guage how they might do, given that might only get 3 or 4 starts each and probably pitch no more than 5 innings.
    A better idea would be to acquire Oswalt, Jackson or Kuroda to be the number 4 guy, and alternate the 5 spot with Aceves or Bard and even Wake for that matter.
    I also realize that the RS have signed some reclamation projects in case Bard and Aceves don't pan out, but we still don't have a clue as to what we are going to get with that scenario.

The sox should open ST with the SP already established, and look at guys who could help us down the road in case of injury.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

Re: Bard and Aceves

Cherrington was on Red Sox Hot Stove last night AL. Sounded like Aceves is staying in the bullpen

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Why isn't AlibiIke on a Dodger forum right now that must be abuzz with the Torre news from this morning?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves:
    [QUOTE]Cherrington was on Red Sox Hot Stove last night AL. Sounded like Aceves is staying in the bullpen
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Missed it. Can't get NESN down here in FL.
    Interesting. Do they still intend to try and use Bard to start? Would make more sense for Aceves to start since he does have experience doing that.
    For my money, I wish the Sox would get a quality LHP to compliment Lester in the rotation, but other than Saunders, we'd have to trade to get one. i wish they would have taken a flyer on Willis when he was available.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I thought Bobby V was in charge of who's starting and who's not.  Why in the hell BC decides who's going to be the starter and who's staying in the BP?

And no one announced confirmation on Bard's transition to rotation yet.  Bard is set to start in ST.  And If he fails big time there, there's no way he will be in the starting rotation on opening day. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

You can get NESN all year long in Florida. Get DirecTV, MLB Extra Innings and the Sports Package.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : Missed it. Can't get NESN down here in FL. Interesting. Do they still intend to try and use Bard to start? Would make more sense for Aceves to start since he does have experience doing that. For my money, I wish the Sox would get a quality LHP to compliment Lester in the rotation, but other than Saunders, we'd have to trade to get one. i wish they would have taken a flyer on Willis when he was available.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Bard will be stretched out in ST and considered a starter unless or until it's been determined otherwise. Bard was a successful starter at UNC and drafted as one. I think he has earned and deserves a shot. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]I thought Bobby V was in charge of who's starting and who's not.  Why in the hell BC decides who's going to be the starter and who's staying in the BP? And no one announced confirmation on Bard's transition to rotation yet.  Bard is set to start in ST.  And If he fails big time there, there's no way he will be in the starting rotation on opening day. 
    Posted by seannybboi[/QUOTE]

Charrington was representing the organization. Valentine has stated publicly Bard will test the waters as a starter in ST.  A decision will then be made if he'll actually be in the rotation or stay in the bullpen

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]You can get NESN all year long in Florida. Get DirecTV, MLB Extra Innings and the Sports Package.
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

I have Directv, MLB extra innings, and the Sports package, but NESN is not included in my area. I've called about it and because NESN is regional, it's not offered here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]Cherrington was on Red Sox Hot Stove last night AL. Sounded like Aceves is staying in the bullpen
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

I just watched the Cherington clip from last night. Man, this guy has all the personality of a dishrag, and doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. Willingness to start? Of course these guys want to start. How many pitchers that make to the big leagues want to get stuck in the BP?

It's also clear to me from the clip he has no intention of trying to get an established starter, and is willing to roll the dice with what he has.
    Recipe for failure, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : I just watched the Cherington clip from last night. Man, this guy has all the personality of a dishrag, and doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. Willingness to start? Of course these guys want to start. How many pitchers that make to the big leagues want to get stuck in the BP? It's also clear to me from the clip he has no intention of trying to get an established starter, and is willing to roll the dice with what he has. Recipe for failure, IMO.

Al, give him a chance. He's not doing stand up comedy, he's talking baseball. I think he's just not tipping his hand.  Not stating publicly what his wants and needs are, gives him a leg up with possible/potential future trades/signings

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

But then why would a self proclaimed Dodger fan living in Florida be so interested in watching Red Sox baseball instead of Dodger baseball off of his satellite dish.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : I just watched the Cherington clip from last night. Man, this guy has all the personality of a dishrag, and doesn't seem to have a clue what he's doing. Willingness to start? Of course these guys want to start. How many pitchers that make to the big leagues want to get stuck in the BP? It's also clear to me from the clip he has no intention of trying to get an established starter, and is willing to roll the dice with what he has. Recipe for failure, IMO.

Oh Ike.  You're cute when you are in judgement mode.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : Oh Ike.  You're cute when you are in judgement mode.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Hi ya spacebro! one things for sure man. pitchers and catchers report in just over a month. the brass and BC have done a pretty good job getting some arms for small money. I agree with you. aceves and bard still should be in the bullpen. Bailey is da man! rumor has it that beckett is down at his ranch in texas getting himself into the best shape of his life. something I heard over the holidays.
    happy new year to ya my friend.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : Hi ya spacebro! one things for sure man. pitchers and catchers report in just over a month. the brass and BC have done a pretty good job getting some arms for small money. I agree with you. aceves and bard still should be in the bullpen. Bailey is da man! rumor has it that beckett is down at his ranch in texas getting himself into the best shape of his life. something I heard over the holidays. happy new year to ya my friend.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Back atcha hammah.  FWIW, I also hear that Bard has really honed his change-up.  If this is true, I am a little more comfortable with the notion that he could make an effective starter.

With the acquisitions of Bailey and Melancon, I don't think Bard is as necessary in the pen as Aceves.  We have 3 potential back-end guys (assuming Jenks can step away from the buffet long enough to stay alive through the season), so I now think the Bard-starter thing is worth a go.  Aceves, on the other hand, is far too valuable to the pen, given his unique ability to go long, short, whatever is asked of him.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]Al, I live in Columbus Indiana and get NESN. Your story is bullcrap just like you. Bye ExDodger.
    Posted by coachzap[/QUOTE]

aw not nice! I lived in west (by gawd) melburn fla for 2 years and had direct tv. I had nesn but when they played the damn devilrays it was blacked out. florida is a great place to go on vacation but I sure as he!! wouldn't want to live there ever again...........unless your talking west palm or the keys maybe. central florida on the atlantic side (melbourne,cocco,palmbay,titusville make brockton and mattapan look good.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : Back atcha hammah.  FWIW, I also hear that Bard has really honed his change-up.  If this is true, I am a little more comfortable with the notion that he could make an effective starter. With the acquisitions of Bailey and Melancon, I don't think Bard is as necessary in the pen as Aceves.  We have 3 potential back-end guys (assuming Jenks can step away from the buffet long enough to stay alive through the season), so I now think the Bard-starter thing is worth a go.  Aceves, on the other hand, is far too valuable to the pen, given his unique ability to go long, short, whatever is asked of him.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year space. Cherington addressed Jenks also. said he's recouping from back surgery. hard to say when he'll be ready but thought it would be sooner than later. Also said Youk is in Cali working out and feels he has something to prove after two injury ridden seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : Happy New Year space. Cherington addressed Jenks also. said he's recoping from back surgery. hard to say when he'll be ready but thought it would be sooner than later. Also said Youk is in Cali workimg out and feels he has something to prove after two injury ridden seasons.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Happy New Year to you too J.  To boot, Youk says he has switched his off-season work-out focus from strength building to flexibility, which I think ought to go a long way to helping him stay healthy (particularly with the hip stuff).  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

i really do not care whether cherrington can do interviews or has any personality at all.  i am much more concerned about the players he acquires year after year.

his ability to handle interviews to please the fans is a pretty minor thing in my mind.  i want him to be able to give the manager enough talent to WIN!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]i really do not care whether cherrington can do interviews or has any personality at all.  i am much more concerned about the players he acquires year after year. his ability to handle interviews to please the fans is a pretty minor thing in my mind.  i want him to be able to give the manager enough talent to WIN!
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

hahaha.  Seriously man.  I actually like the fact that Cherrington is not a slick PR type.  I inately trust a soft-spoken baseball nerd as a GM a little more than a baby-kissing type.  

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from floridamike. Show floridamike's posts

Ben pitched in college.

I'm sure he has a good understanding and eye for pitching talent and how to utilize it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Using Aceves over Wastefield would have put Red Sox in 2011 post season. They are doing the correct thing with these two, with nothing to lose. Going back to pen is easy. Just not seeing Wastefield as the default scrap heap spot starter will improve the prospest for 2012 season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : aw not nice! I lived in west (by gawd) melburn fla for 2 years and had direct tv. I had nesn but when they played the damn devilrays it was blacked out. florida is a great place to go on vacation but I sure as he!! wouldn't want to live there ever again...........unless your talking west palm or the keys maybe. central florida on the atlantic side (melbourne,cocco,palmbay,titusville make brockton and mattapan look good.

That is normal that when Boston plays the Devil Rays that NESN would be blacked and the TB Network prevails. That protects the exclusive rights of TB and the sponsors in that area who want their commercials to be seen by local fans. In that case you suffer through a few nights of watching the Sox on the TB Network. No big deal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard and Aceves : aw not nice! I lived in west (by gawd) melburn fla for 2 years and had direct tv. I had nesn but when they played the damn devilrays it was blacked out. florida is a great place to go on vacation but I sure as he!! wouldn't want to live there ever again...........unless your talking west palm or the keys maybe. central florida on the atlantic side (melbourne,cocco,palmbay,titusville make brockton and mattapan look good.

People only hear what they want. yes, with MLB Extra INNIng, I get to watch NESN (except playing the Rays), but as soon as the game ends, so does the broadcast on NESN. for instance I can't go home tonight and watch NESN. I can't order it. I've tried.
    IT"S NOT AVAILABLE IN  MY AREA.

And for the guys who are harping about me being a Dodger fan, they happen to be in the NL, and why can't I have a favorite NL team as well as an AL team?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]i really do not care whether cherrington can do interviews or has any personality at all.  i am much more concerned about the players he acquires year after year. his ability to handle interviews to please the fans is a pretty minor thing in my mind.  i want him to be able to give the manager enough talent to WIN!
    Posted by charliedarling[/QUOTE]

Well, he is still green at this job, and is extremely cautious so far. I'm sure he doesn't want to chance losing his key to the executive mens room by being bold or taking a risk with JH's money.

Sections
Shortcuts