Bard = Choke City

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

Bard = Choke City

Danny Bard may have electric stuff, but he is the Calvin Schiraldi of this team.  A 100mph fastball and a huge breaking curve are no substitute for being willing and able to throw strikes, especially in the clutch.  If the Sox don't come back from the 3 runs he just gave up, that will be 8 (8!!!) losses so far this year.  Are you kidding me?  Talk about just absolutely wasting an otherwise good effort from the team today.  Whatever Bard's issue is, I don't think I want him as my partner in a high stakes skins match.  Yips anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Re: Bard = Choke City

Wow - the guy has pitched in 64 games this season (so far) and blown 4 save opportunities and suddenly he's called a choker?  The guys been worked harder than any other reliever.

Maybe, just maybe he's got a nagging injury and he's trying to figure out how to play through it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

2-8 and folks are calling for him to be a closer? I also seem to rremember some games where he deserved the loss but got bailed out early on. Wouldnt trust him in the 9th at all. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from attic-dan. Show attic-dan's posts

Papelbon is looking better than ever, hard to trust Bard as closer after this year...and I'm saying that as a big Bard fan. He is like the Sox, if you take away the beginning and end of year, they both would be sittin pretty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pennasoxfan67. Show pennasoxfan67's posts

Did you watch the game?  He's not hurt.  His velocity is fine, and if he had the inclination, he could throw that curve for a strike.  What he's lacking right now is cojones.  I don't understand why he won't go after the opposing hitters and throw strikes.  He wants to nibble like DiceK, and then get them to chase.  Obviously, the word is out and other teams are not chasing.  Yeah, he's 1-6 now in save situations...do you think that's to be commended?  Is 8 losses in 65 innings pitched good? 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gready. Show Gready's posts

I will say it again.  Daniel Bard = Kyle Farnsworth.  Shiraldi is another good one.  This guy is our closer in 2012?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from DeweyCBoston. Show DeweyCBoston's posts

In Response to Re: Bard = Choke City:
    I will say it again.  Daniel Bard = Kyle Farnsworth.  Shiraldi is another good one.  This guy is our closer in 2012?
    Posted by Gready

In the MLB playoffs, a 102 mph fastball exits the stadium VERY quickly!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

he can't be used in clutch situations anymore.has to be assigned to mopup until he gets his head and confidence back.he obviously won't get any help from young who has no clue.
    maybe buchholz can become the 7-8 inning guy in a week or so.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheoGM1. Show TheoGM1's posts

Bard had control problems coming up through the system..He had good year and half.. His last 10 outings has been bad.. His FB command is way off and according to Tito they need to have him right in a hurry..

I wonder if Farrel has some inside scouting as former pitching coach as jays have owned him last 2 outings..

Fatigue could be an issue as his velocity down a notch or two from 100 mph to 96 mph... also his arm slot was off in his outing on Sept 7th in Toronto..

Pitching coach and Tito has to work on him to fix whatever is ailing him..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

Bard had control problems coming up through the system..He had good year and half.. His last 10 outings has been bad.. His FB command is way off and according to Tito they need to have him right in a hurry.. I wonder if Farrel has some inside scouting as former pitching coach as jays have owned him last 2 outings.. Fatigue could be an issue as his velocity down a notch or two from 100 mph to 96 mph... also his arm slot was off in his outing on Sept 7th in Toronto.. Pitching coach and Tito has to work on him to fix whatever is ailing him..
    Posted by TheoGM1

your dreaming .young and coma have proven the have no club on how to straighten out pitchers. they had all season to work on slackey.when albers slipped,he only continued to get worse

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

he can't be used in clutch situations anymore.has to be assigned to mopup until he gets his head and confidence back.he obviously won't get any help from young who has no clue. maybe buchholz can become the 7-8 inning guy in a week or so.
    Posted by udontnojack

Hopefully, Buchholz will be able to help the Red Sox soon.  He probably would be a good substitute for Bard, considering how ineffective Bard has been lately.  Agree with you about the pitching coach.  He also should be able to help Lackey with his pitching problems this year.   What is a pitching coach for? 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

When you throw a straight fastball, no matter the speed, sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheoGM1. Show TheoGM1's posts

Bard said in PG that his timing of the delivery is off.. better fix it in the next 48 hours..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Did you watch the game?  He's not hurt.  His velocity is fine, and if he had the inclination, he could throw that curve for a strike.  What he's lacking right now is cojones.  I don't understand why he won't go after the opposing hitters and throw strikes.  He wants to nibble like DiceK, and then get them to chase.  Obviously, the word is out and other teams are not chasing.  Yeah, he's 1-6 now in save situations...do you think that's to be commended?  Is 8 losses in 65 innings pitched good? 
    Posted by pennasoxfan67

If he had the inclination he'd throw the curve for a strike???  Right.

The guys has a couple of bad outings after being outstanding for most of the season and he gets ragged.

"8 losses in 65 innning pitched good".  Not if you're a starter, but as a reliever, someone that has appeared in 63 games this season, I'd say it's very good.  Quick - which pitcher for the Red Sox leads the teams in HOLDS?  Bard. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

He's been great most of the year but horrible lately. As for reliability, you've got to have more than Aceves and Paps in the pen but at the moment it doesn't appear that we do. Can he be trusted with the 8th inning and longer? It wouldn't seem so but what is the alternative?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

2-8 and folks are calling for him to be a closer? I also seem to rremember some games where he deserved the loss but got bailed out early on. Wouldnt trust him in the 9th at all. 
    Posted by jamesey271975

2-9 now according to postgame on NESN. Francona blew this game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtDawgSox. Show DirtDawgSox's posts

Bard had control problems coming up through the system..He had good year and half.. His last 10 outings has been bad.. His FB command is way off and according to Tito they need to have him right in a hurry.. I wonder if Farrel has some inside scouting as former pitching coach as jays have owned him last 2 outings.. Fatigue could be an issue as his velocity down a notch or two from 100 mph to 96 mph... also his arm slot was off in his outing on Sept 7th in Toronto.. Pitching coach and Tito has to work on him to fix whatever is ailing him..
    Posted by TheoGM1

Francona keeps using Bard and Albers too even though both are having major problems, thus we are losing games with this going on. We had that game today for a win and it was lost by Bard but more so by Francona for leaving him in.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

When you throw a straight fastball, no matter the speed, sooner or later something bad is going to happen.
    Posted by TexWrecks

How many things went wrong from 4/8-9/5?  For those 5 months, his ERA was 1.46, allowing 33 hits and 13 walks in 61.2 IPs.

He's pitched incredibly well this year, just not in the past couple of days.

You people are incredibly short-sighted.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

In Response to Re: Bard = Choke City : How many things went wrong from 4/8-9/5?  For those 5 months, his ERA was 1.46, allowing 33 hits and 13 walks in 61.2 IPs. He's pitched incredibly well this year, just not in the past couple of days. You people are incredibly short-sighted.
    Posted by Joebreidey

I agree with this but the sum of a players year is his entire year.  Right now Bard's year is good but he certainly hasn't pitched "incredibly well" all year.  * losses and an ERA over 3 just don't ad up to that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Bard = Choke City : I agree with this but the sum of a players year is his entire year.  Right now Bard's year is good but he certainly hasn't pitched "incredibly well" all year.  * losses and an ERA over 3 just don't ad up to that.
    Posted by snakeoil123

Fair enough.  It just seems to me that he allowed 4 runs on opening day, allowed 5 runs on 9/7, and was almost perfect in between.  The other day, Pedroia was 'mired' in a 5-game slump.  It seems like more than one or two bad games in a row requires some of our 'fans' to abandon our players.  Do you recall what they were saying about Paps and Beckett last year?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Watch him pitch. If you know anything about baseball, his arm slot is lower than normal and has been that way for a month now. 

He's got a dead arm and should not be used.

Terry?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Watch him pitch. If you know anything about baseball, his arm slot is lower than normal and has been that way for a month now.  He's got a dead arm and should not be used. Terry?
    Posted by ADG

I agree, but he did have 4 days off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

But both times he blew it when he started off putting men on base for no reason. Why the world he have to put men on bases when his team was up by 3 runs last week and 2 runs today.  

Difference between him and among other fast ball pitchers, he doesnt give up too many hits.  He just walked too many.  He just need to get his confidence with his pitches!!

He ll be fine during the post season.  Once Boston make into the playoff, Tito is going to rest him often!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Bard = Choke City : Francona keeps using Bard and Albers too even though both are having major problems, thus we are losing games with this going on. We had that game today for a win and it was lost by Bard but more so by Francona for leaving him in.
    Posted by DirtDawgSox

Like Woodward and Bernstein in the parking garage, you're missing the overall. Today's loss itself isn't that important, especially since the O's just helped us out. The Sox will be in the playoffs as the wild card.

What is important is that it's mid-September and Daniel Bard can't throw a strike. If Daniel Bard isn't Daniel Bard, our stay in the playoffs will be very brief.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Posted by Gready

Farnsworth has 23 saves, a 5-1 record, 1.7BB/9 and a WHIP of 1.01.  Is this really the point you were trying to make?

Sections
Shortcuts