Bard Closing in 2012

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Bard Closing in 2012

Whoever wants Bard closing in 2012 raise their hand.  Paplebon made a lot of money this last week. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Bard Closing in 2012

Despite how good Bard has been over the year and how bad he has been lately Paps must be the closer for the forseeable future.
    I have said this all year. Bard has proved nothing to show he can be the closer between last year and this without the past few outings.

Having both Bard and Paps is the best of both worlds. If Jenks can recover I will love having all 3 next year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

This isn't a good opening and closing for bard '11 who had a good run in between.  I think Theo will go to Chicago, opening the door for the next GM to pay Rivera type money to Paps, which also doesn't leave me with a real positive outlook.  Boston has lagged in player development, big time as eveidnced by the recent callups and nary but one used today.  6-hit by the AAA Jays?  Oh come now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Diamondtalk. Show Diamondtalk's posts

It depends on how serious Papelbon is with testing the market as he's said he will do.   Some money is coming off the books with Drew and a few minor others but John Henry doesn't care to exceed salaries to the point of paying a luxury tax.
    Papelbon will want sonething near $15M per year for 3-4 years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

In Response to Re: Bard Closing in 2012:
    [QUOTE]It depends on how serious Papelbon is with testing the market as he's said he will do.   Some money is coming off the books with Drew and a few minor others but John Henry doesn't care to exceed salaries to the point of paying a luxury tax. Papelbon will want sonething near $15M per year for 3-4 years.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]

and he'll get $15 (for 3 yrs), or $18 (for 2 yrs). either is a bargain for the Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Despite how good Bard has been over the year and how bad he has been lately Paps must be the closer for the forseeable future. I have said this all year. Bard has proved nothing to show he can be the closer between last year and this without the past few outings. Having both Bard and Paps is the best of both worlds. If Jenks can recover I will love having all 3 next year.
    Posted by JimfromFlorida[/QUOTE]

Just because Bard is struggling now doesn't mean I'm not going change my mind.

I said the same thing last year when Paps was struggling and the same thing this year when Bard was lights out in the middle of the season.

The Sox need to re-sign Papelbon. He should continue to be the closer. Bard can continue to set up. Papelbon is a proven commodity.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Letting Paps go to some other team would be a huge mistake.  He is a proven closer regardless of how much he puts the fans on the edge of their seats some nights - a notch below Mo perhaps but a must for the Sox to challenge the Yankees next year.  This gets old watching them run away with the division in the last month year after year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

No worries we still have Lackey at 18 million per.  What a relief that is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from samclemens. Show samclemens's posts

[QUOTE]It depends on how serious Papelbon is with testing the market as he's said he will do.   Some money is coming off the books with Drew and a few minor others but John Henry doesn't care to exceed salaries to the point of paying a luxury tax. Papelbon will want sonething near $15M per year for 3-4 years.
    Posted by Diamondtalk[/QUOTE]  Money is irrelevant to the Boston Red Sox and has been since 1933.  They will pay whatever it takes to justify the highest fancost in all of baseball and fill the ballpark.  Papelbon and his agent can test the free agent market, but the reality is that other the Yankees are still satisfied with the guy they have and the Red Sox have an obvious need.  Those are the only big market teams who have the financial resources to grossly overpay a relief pitcher.   The Sox have obvious leverage and will be faced with the choice of overpaying Papelbon and giving him Rivera money, hurting his feelings by offering him a "fair market contract" or seeing him walk and take less money on another team.   It's the way it often plays out in these types of situations.      

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think Paps is gone. The team will likely get a strong back-up for Bard.
    The job will be his to lose. Committing to Paps long-term seals Bard's fate as a career set-up guy. I don't think that'll happen.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from saxydogg77. Show saxydogg77's posts

It's in the best interest of the Red Sox to have Bard as the set-up guy and Paps as the closer for the foreseeable future.