Bard has the yips

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Re: Bard has the yips

In response to ADG's comment:

It seems more and more than Bard may be done. Chuck Knoblach, Rick Ankiel, Steve Blass, etc.

After Bard has a solid spring you post this junk?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

this cracks mhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c_onhzgvcYe up....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

In response to raider3524's comment:

It seems more and more than Bard may be done. Chuck Knoblach, Rick Ankiel, Steve Blass, etc.

didn't salty have it also?

no, he had thoracic outlet syndrome

thanks..i did not know that...good stuff.

Yeah, I dealt with it for a while...It can make your arm go numb or feel a sharp tingling from the shoulder to your hand from throwing a ball. Corrective surgery will fix it, which is what he did while with the Rangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c_onhzgvcY

this cracks me up....

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

its valentines fault

It might have happened anyway, but it was much in keeping with Valentine's character to keep dragging him out there in September with his 21.60 ERA.  Dumber than a bag of rocks.  Bad decision by Cherington even bringing him back to the team, but that might've killed his career dragging him out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

didn't salty have it also?

no, he had thoracic outlet syndrome

thanks..i did not know that...good stuff.

Yeah, I dealt with it for a while...It can make your arm go numb or feel a sharp tingling from the shoulder to your hand from throwing a ball. Corrective surgery will fix it, which is what he did while with the Rangers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c_onhzgvcY

this cracks me up....

Yeah, I always get a laugh when I see the dad showing his son how to throw the ball like a girl. Maybe thats what Johnny Damons father threw like  o.O

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

My biggest weakness playing softball is that I throw like a girl.  ;-)

FTR, I like the Victorino signing too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

This is all Dice-K's fault.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Solid spring? What have you been watching. Oh yeah, Kool aid ads.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

This is all Dice-K's fault.  

I blame Boof Bonser.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bard has had some very promising appearences this spring, but hes also had his share of bad ones as well. He will be in AAA until he can show more consistency and not be under as much pressure in Pawtucket.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Bard has had some very promising appearences this spring, but hes also had his share of bad ones as well. He will be in AAA until he can show more consistency and not be under as much pressure in Pawtucket.

I remember when he was drafted out of NC.  He was a starter but they projected him as a RP or closer.  The one issue they said COULD be his mental makeup.  I'm not saying that I'm getting ready to give up on the kid but something is wrong.  I really think we need to stop blaming the whole converting him to a starter thing as being the issue.  He ALWAYS wanted to be a starter....he was a starter for most of his young career.  I think it's simply a case of him having all the talent in the world but his brain simply can's harness it all together.  Sure he had a few good years but remember....near the end of the last season that he was a RP he starter to decline.  He blew a bunch of games for Paps and we were all questioning him then.

I say give him a chance in Pawtucket to work things out.  If it doesn't he could be a decent throw in later on in the season in a bigger trade.  Maybe a trade of Ells, Bard....or Drew Bard could net something pretty solid in return like a solid outfield, 1B or pitching prospect......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Last year was a disaster, but prior years were pretty good in the bullpen.  Too early to write him off. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Solid spring? What have you been watching. Oh yeah, Kool aid ads.

He has got back up to 96. I think that is pretty solid. He should be pushing 100 soon. His mechanics are back. I don't think you would notice because youre so damn reaction.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

I remember when he was drafted out of NC.  He was a starter but they projected him as a RP or closer.  The one issue they said COULD be his mental makeup.  I'm not saying that I'm getting ready to give up on the kid but something is wrong.  I really think we need to stop blaming the whole converting him to a starter thing as being the issue.  He ALWAYS wanted to be a starter....he was a starter for most of his young career.  I think it's simply a case of him having all the talent in the world but his brain simply can's harness it all together.  Sure he had a few good years but remember....near the end of the last season that he was a RP he starter to decline.  He blew a bunch of games for Paps and we were all questioning him then.

I say give him a chance in Pawtucket to work things out.  If it doesn't he could be a decent throw in later on in the season in a bigger trade.  Maybe a trade of Ells, Bard....or Drew Bard could net something pretty solid in return like a solid outfield, 1B or pitching prospect......

I totally agree with you. Bard isnt the strongest player, mentally speaking. He gets in his own way most of the time. If he just stops thinking and just pitches, he'll be ok. If he continues to have trouble this year, I would look to see what we could get for him. Theres always a GM that would say a change of scenery and to be out of the bright lights in Boston is what he needs. Especially a kid under control who can hit triple digets ion the gun...He might just not have the mental make up for this market, or at all. Hopefully the kid can pull it all together this year and return to what he was.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Remember Ryne Duren when he played for the Yankees and they  would bring him in in relief and the first few pitchers were thrown high and wide againgt the screen. He had very thick lenses in his glasses and squinted looking for the sign.

Batters hesitated to dig in against him. It appears to me Bard is thinking more than throwing. The question is even if he settles down and reverts back to the Bard of most of 2011 and prior does Farrell have the confidence in him or does he need a new voice getting him through this time. There always seems to be that team that feels they can "fix" someone. His arm is not sore...

Let it rip Daniel in AAA--get out the glasses- squint and throw the first few high hard ones onto the screen--just about guarantee you will own the outside corner for a while.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

Remember Ryne Duren when he played for the Yankees and they  would bring him in in relief and the first few pitchers were thrown high and wide againgt the screen. He had very thick lenses in his glasses and squinted looking for the sign.

Batters hesitated to dig in against him. It appears to me Bard is thinking more than throwing. The question is even if he settles down and reverts back to the Bard of most of 2011 and prior does Farrell have the confidence in him or does he need a new voice getting him through this time. There always seems to be that team that feels they can "fix" someone. His arm is not sore...

Let it rip Daniel in AAA--get out the glasses- squint and throw the first few high hard ones onto the screen--just about guarantee you will own the outside corner for a while.

HAHA!!!!  I like it!  Only thing is....Bard has been doing exactly that for the last year....just not on purpose!  Remember the days when he would paint the inside corner with a 101 MPH fastball....then throw a 90MPH slider that would start at the batters head then finish on the bottom of the outside corner???  That was some of the nastiest stuff I have EVER seen.......

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I totally agree with you. Bard isnt the strongest player, mentally speaking. He gets in his own way most of the time. If he just stops thinking and just pitches, he'll be ok. If he continues to have trouble this year, I would look to see what we could get for him. Theres always a GM that would say a change of scenery and to be out of the bright lights in Boston is what he needs. Especially a kid under control who can hit triple digets ion the gun...He might just not have the mental make up for this market, or at all. Hopefully the kid can pull it all together this year and return to what he was.

he needs to smoke some weed and get over it... or get so stoned he doesn't overthink and just throws.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

he needs to smoke some weed and get over it... or get so stoned he doesn't overthink and just throws.

The Sox should send him out to SF to hang out with Timmy Lincecum. :-)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I really feel for this kid!  The Sox blew it, giving in to his wishes to be in the SR.  Somebody convinced him he could ratchet his arm back & throw 90 - 91, stretch it out and be a big time SR guy.

Dead wrong!  It messed up all his mechanics!  This kid was built to throw 96 - 98 FB.  That's how his mechanics were set up.  Ratcheting back killed him. 

I hope he can get it back.... Hopefully for the Sox, but he may need a change of scenery???

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I really feel for this kid!  The Sox blew it, giving in to his wishes to be in the SR.  Somebody convinced him he could ratchet his arm back & throw 90 - 91, stretch it out and be a big time SR guy.

Dead wrong!  It messed up all his mechanics!  This kid was built to throw 96 - 98 FB.  That's how his mechanics were set up.  Ratcheting back killed him. 

I hope he can get it back.... Hopefully for the Sox, but he may need a change of scenery???

I know where you're coming from but I think the 'converting him to a SP' excuse is WAY overblown.  Let's not forget that near the end of the 2011 season he was already starting a decline.  He blew a bunch of saves for paps and we were all saying 'what's wrong with Bard?'.  His mechanics are off but the kid is a professional pitcher....he has access to some of the best trainers and coaches in the United States to help correct this.  If anything....let's give the kid the benefite of the doubt and stop thinking that a 3 month experiment faining is responsible for his whole demise.  I really think it's a neck up thing.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I know where you're coming from but I think the 'converting him to a SP' excuse is WAY overblown.  Let's not forget that near the end of the 2011 season he was already starting a decline.  He blew a bunch of saves for paps and we were all saying 'what's wrong with Bard?'.  His mechanics are off but the kid is a professional pitcher....he has access to some of the best trainers and coaches in the United States to help correct this.  If anything....let's give the kid the benefite of the doubt and stop thinking that a 3 month experiment faining is responsible for his whole demise.  I really think it's a neck up thing.

Exactly. I really hope he can straighten it out, but I'm starting to think he might be a lost cause. I mean if Rich Sauveur couldn't help him, I'm not sure anyone can.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I honestly don't think it's over-blowing it, when you look at how significantly he changed the speed on his fastball.  Going from 97-98 down to 90 -91 -93 (high) is a HUGE difference.  That messes with arm speed on all your pitches.  It messes big time with the changeup and all the breaking stuff.  He MUST get back to bringing the heat, at least 96 - 97, and hitting his spots with consistency, before correcting the other pitches.  He's still consistently wild & high with the fastball, and it's messing with every other pitch.

The experiment was a monumental mistake!  Yes!  He had blown several outings at the end of that season, but he was lights out earlier on???  Not sure what happened there???

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I honestly don't think it's over-blowing it, when you look at how significantly he changed the speed on his fastball.  Going from 97-98 down to 90 -91 -93 (high) is a HUGE difference.  That messes with arm speed on all your pitches.  It messes big time with the changeup and all the breaking stuff.  He MUST get back to bringing the heat, at least 96 - 97, and hitting his spots with consistency, before correcting the other pitches.  He's still consistently wild & high with the fastball, and it's messing with every other pitch.

The experiment was a monumental mistake!  Yes!  He had blown several outings at the end of that season, but he was lights out earlier on???  Not sure what happened there???

It's strange...I agree.  Remember the kid painting the inside corner with a 101MPH fastball then throwing a GIANT hook on the next pitch that hits the outside corner?  Amazing stuff...  Sometimes as a professional athlete there really is no rhyme or reason...sometimes you just lose it.  Hopefully that's not the case because he had so much potential.......