Bard in the 9th - Why?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Bard in the 9th - Why?

I was confused about the move - isnt it a given that Bard & Paps pretty much pitch in tandem during save situations? I fell asleep the previous night's games so I am guessing he hasnt worked in a few days. I hope we don't need him today.  Happy Easter all -  we are looking good and shaking off the April doldrums.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Bard in the 9th - Why?

yeah Gerom..I think Paps pitched 3 games in a row before last night, which would explain why Bard was in...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SleeStack1. Show SleeStack1's posts

Terry was probably worried Okajima would cough up the game.  Afterall, they were only up by 5.

I'm not really kidding here.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Dice-K has been doing well since Okajima was called up from AAA.  So let's just have Okajima keep Dice-K company.  Okajima does not even have to pitch.  lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In Response to Re: Bard in the 9th - Why?:
    [QUOTE]Dice-K has been doing well since Okajima was called up from AAA.  So let's just have Okajima keep Dice-K company.  Okajima does not even have to pitch.  lol
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea at all

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I thought pitching Bard made since, it wasn't a save situation, but the game was relatively close and seeing how Bard has been pitching much better lately he needed work seeing how he hadn't pitched in two days....and Paps was obviously not the most viable option. 

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The problem becomes using Wheeler and seeing him put a few guys on base.  Then you bring in Bard, and these guys don't like working with guys on base.  I was also hoping to save him, but trying to save an extra inning on his arm doesn't always work.  I'm an agnostic on this one either way.

Of course, had he brought in Wheeler and had he gotten shelled, we all know what the response to Tito would've been then....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Actually, Bard did have previous night off but he had worked the two previous games, similar to Jenks and Papelbon.  He has had more innings than any reliever save for Wakefield, who has also had 10 1/3 innings so far this year.  He has also appeared in more games than any Sox pitcher.  Right now he is on pace for 81 games and 83 IP.  I thought it was a curious move, but I did try to see the logic behind it.  With Papelbon and Jenks available today, and with an off day tomorrow, perhaps he felt Bard needed at least one inning before heading to Baltimore.  He IS still available to pitch today if needed, so there is nothing lost there.  But personally, I would have had Wheeler pitch the 9th and given Bard another night off.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Why NOT??

I was very comfortable seeing Bard pitch the 9th last night, and capping the victory...I don't think his 13 pitches in the 9th will be any type of setback if he is needed again today.

It's funny, Francona gets questioned from the couch potatoes even when he makes the RIGHT moves and they win the game without giving us agita.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Soxdog, it is not a matter of them winning the game.  I felt they could win the game with Wheeler in the 9th.  It is more a matter of not overworking him early in the season so he can be fresher down the stretch.  And as I said, I do agree he can pitch today if needed with an off-day tomorrow.  I am not saying I am right and Francona is wrong.  And if you read my posts, you will know that I feel Francona is a great manager of the season.  I just felt it was an unnecesary use of Bard last night, that is all.  And I do see a reason to use him.  I just thought it was a curious move.  

Incidentally, the use of Bard in the 6th inning the other day was brilliant.  How many other managers would use their best reliever so early in the game?  But that is when he was most needed and it was one of the reasons the Sox won. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

just shows u that terry trusts no but bard and paps pretty much, funny how aceves pitched well and he was sent down when wheeler could of easily been put on the dl. makes no sense to me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

fizsh...Bard was used in the 6th the other night? very nice thinking outside of the box by our manager...I like it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Yeah, geo, he came in to relieve Buchholz with the bases loaded in a 4-1 game and one out in the Oakland day game.  Finished the 6th and pitched the 7th.  Jenks started the 8th and let go two runs (with the help of Saltalamachhia) and Papelbon came in for a 4 out save.  I felt it was a great job.  One of the things Bill James always talked about, using your best reliever when he is most needed, not just to save the game.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

My take was that he just wanted to keep him sharp, fizsh. I liked the move, although I'd have sent Daisuke out for the CG, or at least until someone reached.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Relievers besides closers could be used anywhere in the game if a situation is needed.  Bard has been roughed up this year, so it may have been a confidence builder and Pap was unavailable from what i heard.

Jenks is ironing out his issues and luckily Lester and Dice K have given the bullpen a little rest this week.  The first week in the season they were overused.

From what ive seen of Bard so far I am not convienced he is ready to close.  He has lost 3 MPH on his FB.  Yes its still 96 but it was 99-100 just last season.  If this continues the RS should look to lock up Pap as he looks like the Pap of old.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I would not say Bard has been roughed up.  He had one bad outing, his first.  He also allowed one earned run in another game where a walk, stolen base, sacrifice and then squeeze did him in.  Take out his first game and he has an ERA under 1 (1 ER in 9.1 IP) and has allowed only 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 9 in 9 appearances.  He is NOT struggling.

Yes, Joel, I understand keeping him sharp.  But shouldn't Wheeler be kept sharp too?  That is all I am saying. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from joel49. Show joel49's posts

[QUOTE]I would not say Bard has been roughed up.  He had one bad outing, his first.  He also allowed one earned run in another game where a walk, stolen base, sacrifice and then squeeze did him in.  Take out his first game and he has an ERA under 1 (1 ER in 9.1 IP) and has allowed only 4 hits and 2 walks while striking out 9 in 9 appearances.  He is NOT struggling. Yes, Joel, I understand keeping him sharp.  But shouldn't Wheeler be kept sharp too?  That is all I am saying. 
    Posted by fizsh[/QUOTE]
    Good point.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Bard in the  9th last night; right move by Tito.  I  liked it.  My only alternative would have been to  possibly stay with DiceK.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Dont get me wrong I think Bard is a great reliever,  but right now Pap looks stronger than he ever has and I think "if" he continues you have to atleast have a conversation about him staying long term.  Besides Bard there are not a ton of in house options for end of the game relievers in the minors.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]Dont get me wrong I think Bard is a great reliever,  but right now Pap looks stronger than he ever has and I think "if" he continues you have to atleast have a conversation about him staying long term.  Besides Bard there are not a ton of in house options for end of the game relievers in the minors.
    Posted by jb12bb[/QUOTE]Papelbon looks great and that is a good thing but stronger than ever may not be accurate. He has lost 2-3 MPH on his fastball and his game is predicated on the fastball, because the secondary pitches aren't out pitches unless the hitter feels he needs to start early to catch up with number 1. 

He has shown much better command in the early going, which was the issue for him over the last couple of seasons, too many walks and too many hitters counts. But he is not the same over powering force he was in 06-07-08. Not all bad, because he is more of a pitcher now perhaps but when only required to get the last three outs there is something to be said for being able to just blow away hitters with shear power.

But it is a long way to next winter and the number of years a team will have to commit to Papelbon is to be determined. Bard is still refining his game but have two secondary pitches which have 10 MPH and 18 MPH seperation between them and his fastball is potentially awesome if his command improves even slightly.

As for Geo's question, I am sure Bard was called on because of:

• The current W-L record calls for taking no chances with any win that looks to be in the hand.
    • Bard had not worked the prior day and will still be available today if necessary.
    • When you have guys like Papelbon and Bard on the same staff, Bard becomes the secondary closer, available for Paps off days.
    • The RS have a day off Monday so everybody gets a day off then
    I guess no matter what Tito does it is open to second guessing?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i was curious because i assumed the thought that in a non save decision (5 runs is pretty safe lead imho for any reliever) bard & Paps would not pitch...maybe the day off tomorrow was a chance for tito to test bard in the 9th???

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ubahero. Show ubahero's posts

[QUOTE]Bard in the  9th last night; right move by Tito.  I  liked it.  My only alternative would have been to  possibly stay with DiceK.
    Posted by piersall[/QUOTE]

Agreed, wholeheartedly.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Bard in the 9th - Why?:
    [QUOTE]I was confused about the move - isnt it a given that Bard & Paps pretty much pitch in tandem during save situations? I fell asleep the previous night's games so I am guessing he hasnt worked in a few days. I hope we don't need him today.  Happy Easter all -  we are looking good and shaking off the April doldrums.
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]ROGER/GEOROM.......  YOU NEED TO LET TITO MANAGE.......  ALSO, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE YOUNG COUNTRY & WESTERN SINGERS !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

All that caught my eye last night was 99.

The guy throws heat.