Bard is apparently getting a call up for tomorrow's game.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Bard is apparently getting a call up for tomorrow's game.

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

Rare as this is, I tend to agree with Bill-806 about Aceves.  His one big excuse for last night has to be the horrible weather, cold and rainy.  It didn't bother Colon, but might have bothered Aceves.  That said, Aceves has some pretty significant quirks.  With the depth of the current bullpen--in Boston and in the Sox system-- the loss of Aceves would not be felt that badly. 

Every team needs a guy who you can put in the game when you are way behind so your SP can be removed. Aceves CAN eat some innings; at least he is good for that. And sometimes he can even put in a decent performance. He is certainly not a SP, even though he would very much like to be one. I think we should keep Aceves but get rid of Miller who has been wild his entire career.

Good points.  But I would replace both Aceves and Miller.  I entirely agree with your point about a long reliever--you gotta have one.  Mortensen, maybe. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to wozzy's comment:

You guys doubting Bard seem to forget he was one of most successful bullpen guys in MLB the year before last.  They tried to make him a starter, it didn't work, it doesn't mean stick a fork in him.

Over six innings, Bard has allowed one unearned run on five hits and three walks. He has struck out three.  That doesn't stink...

Here is the total body of Bard's work-at AA ball, not AAA ball:

9 IP; ERA: 4.00; BB's: 4; K's: 4; WHIP: 1.33; WP: 1

That does not warrant a callup to "help" the Red Sox. As I said, Bard stinks. He didn't stink two years ago, but he stinks now. They ruined him by trying to make him into a SP. I hope they do not make the same mistake with Tazawa.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

Please go back to the "Cooking for Fun" forum where you made the other 6948 posts.

I made your mama dinner last night...

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

That does not warrant a callup to "help" the Red Sox. As I said, Bard stinks. He didn't stink two years ago, but he stinks now. They ruined him by trying to make him into a SP. I hope they do not make the same mistake with Tazawa.

Small sample size much?  At AAA Ortiz hit 222, slugged 389, drew no walks and struck out in a third of his ABs.  I guess we should have left him down there as well.  It's not like we would be sending down some star to bring up Bard.  Don't see what the fuss is about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I guess Bard should just retire then...  Baseball is about streaks, he's pitched well lately.  If he is pitching like he was when he came up two season's ago how is that not ready?  He's already proven he can do it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

You guys doubting Bard seem to forget he was one of most successful bullpen guys in MLB the year before last.  They tried to make him a starter, it didn't work, it doesn't mean stick a fork in him.

Over six innings, Bard has allowed one unearned run on five hits and three walks. He has struck out three.  That doesn't stink...

These stats are skewed by two bad outings. I don't know about know but I know by the end of the season he is going to be a very important reliever for the Sox.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I hope people will soon stop making excuses for Aceves. He does that very well, himself. He's a lousy pitcher, period. Plus being a serious cancer whether it's on the field or in the clubhouse or with the fans. Get rid of him.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Bard is much needed in the pen...

Bard stinks right now. He cannot help us.

He had two bad outings this year other than that he has given up a earned run.

I hope that Bard can help the Red Sox this season.  It is definitely a good idea to have him rejoin the team.  I have missed him and hope that he can return to even close to the pitcher that he once was. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pcmIV's comment:

Small sample size much?  At AAA Ortiz hit 222, slugged 389, drew no walks and struck out in a third of his ABs.  I guess we should have left him down there as well.  It's not like we would be sending down some star to bring up Bard.  Don't see what the fuss is about.

I was sparing you the rest of the gory details. Yes, this year represents a small sample size. Here is what he did last year at Pawtucket: ERA: 7.03, WHIP: 1.875, WP: 9, BB: 29 all in 32 IP.

For the Red Sox in 2012 his ERA was 6.22 with a WHIP of 1.736 in 59.1 IP. Oh, he hit 8 batters and walked 43.

Like I said, Bard stinks. Calling him up is absurd. He is not ready; he will likely never be ready.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to susan250's comment:

I hope that Bard can help the Red Sox this season.  It is definitely a good idea to have him rejoin the team.  I have missed him and hope that he can return to even close to the pitcher that he once was. 

Susan, I WISH Bard could help the team too; I WISH he were a better pitcher, and I WISH the Red Sox didn't ruin him by trying to turn him into something he isn't, but wishing does not make it so. Right now, he stinks. He stunk all last year and he still stinks. There is no objective evidence to the contrary and bringing him up now and having him fail not only will further ruin his confidence but also hurt the team. This is a mistake.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

I was sparing you the rest of the gory details. Yes, this year represents a small sample size. Here is what he did last year at Pawtucket: ERA: 7.03, WHIP: 1.875, WP: 9, BB: 29 all in 32 IP.

For the Red Sox in 2012 his ERA was 6.22 with a WHIP of 1.736 in 59.1 IP. Oh, he hit 8 batters and walked 43.

Like I said, Bard stinks. Calling him up is absurd. He is not ready; he will likely never be ready.

Yes his numbers last year were bad because (as you have noted) we tried to make him into a starter and it failed miserably.  He had to learn to pitch like a reliever again so it is hard for me to take last year's numbers seriously at any level.  He is hitting the upper 90's on the radar gun again which is something he did not do very much last year.  His upside is higher than a guy like Wright imo.  Why not pull the trigger here?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Yes his numbers last year were bad because (as you have noted) we tried to make him into a starter and it failed miserably.  He had to learn to pitch like a reliever again so it is hard for me to take last year's numbers seriously at any level.  He is hitting the upper 90's on the radar gun again which is something he did not do very much last year.  His upside is higher than a guy like Wright imo.  Why not pull the trigger here?

That, and wright was used up last night and there are no other relievers on the 40-man roster unless they want to DFA someone, which I imagine they dont want to do.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

FWIW, I think the call up carries some risk, but Farrell and Ben C and the rest of the organization have made some pretty good calls so far.  So let's see what Bard can do. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

I hope you're wrong, but this is what I fear as well.

In any case, the speed of the callup really surprised me...I'd rather see him dominate Double-A and Triple-A for a couple of months at least before determining that he's ready. I guess only time will tell.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Susan, I WISH Bard could help the team too; I WISH he were a better pitcher, and I WISH the Red Sox didn't ruin him by trying to turn him into something he isn't, but wishing does not make it so. Right now, he stinks. He stunk all last year and he still stinks. There is no objective evidence to the contrary and bringing him up now and having him fail not only will further ruin his confidence but also hurt the team. This is a mistake.

How is worse than having Wright not being available until Sunday in the bullpen? This will not hurt his confidence, if anything it will boost it. On top of right now he doesn't stink.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

In response to ADG's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

pumpsie is a pink hat

Conan adds no value and has no baseball knowledge.

B I N G O !!!!

There's the pot calling the kettle black.....

Conan IS totally useless. He is the only guy here I have on ignore. Bill at least posts about baseball; Conan whines about other posters most of the time. He is a genuinely useless poster and frankly, I would not miss it if no one quoted he drivel any more so I don't have to read it.

you dont have him on ignore? he is literally the only person that i have on ignore....useless, mean, and worst of all, not even creative in his insults

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Bard is better than Wright. The sooner we get him back to the Bard of old the better. This is a no brainer.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

I've posted this comment about six times now..

Bard was terrible as a starting pitcher in the minors.  He was then converted very successfully to a reliever.  As time progressed, the big dollar signs of starting pitchers intoxicated Bard and his agent.  The Red Sox capitulated to their greedy request.

The result? A player who will probably never be as effective as he once was.

Shame on Bard and his agent for the greed.  Shame on the Red Sox for capitulating.

My thought?  If the clock is working, don't fix it......but, it's water over the dam.

Do I want Bard to succeed? Yes, of course, but I seriously have reservations.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Amp, you could make the same case regarding Tazawa but with Bard it was clear cut. Bard never succeeded even in the minors as a starter. It is easier to look good as a reliever. The fastball is a little faster. Fewer times through the lineup...etc. It's a big jump. We agree on this one.

BTW, did I peg this one or what? First to announce Bard's promotion. Pegged who would go down and who was option # 2 ( Aceves ) BEFORE the 13-0 game. Sometimes I get lucky. A week ago I also projected that Aceves would be gone, anticipating that it would be via trade. They have Morales and Lackey coming back. Someone had to go from the pitching staff. This has been coming for a while.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ampoule. Show ampoule's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

Amp, you could make the same case regarding Tazawa but with Bard it was clear cut. Bard never succeeded even in the minors as a starter. It is easier to look good as a reliever. The fastball is a little faster. Fewer times through the lineup...etc. It's a big jump. We agree on this one.

BTW, did I peg this one or what? First to announce Bard's promotion. Pegged who would go down and who was option # 2 ( Aceves ) BEFORE the 13-0 game. Sometimes I get lucky. A week ago I also projected that Aceves would be gone, anticipating that it would be via trade. They have Morales and Lackey coming back. Someone had to go from the pitching staff. This has been coming for a while.

Boomer, I know a lot of people want/wanted to stretch out Taz to become a starter.  Although I'm not for it because of the working clock isssue, I can understand the reasoning.  Taz was an effective starter in Japan and in the little time here, hence I could see it happening.

You're right, you did call it....nice call.

Also, I agree that a reliever can afford to put a little extra behind his pitches.  Some pitchers, like Verlander come along once in a lifetime as they increase in strength/velocity as the innings add up.  Unfortunately, it's a rare occassion.

I'm still worried about the bullpen.  It sure would be nice if Bard could come back and was effective.  The same can be said about Hanrahan.  Without Breslow and Morales....and Hanrahan being a question mark. I foresee, like I've mentioned before, bullpen burnout.

One can't expect that same guys coming in day after day.  I hope we're nor starting see that already with Uehara.

It was nice to see Miller come in today and get that K.  It sure would be nice to see him, with his filthy stuff, gain some command so he could go multiple innings.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

That does not warrant a callup to "help" the Red Sox. As I said, Bard stinks. He didn't stink two years ago, but he stinks now. They ruined him...

Bard gets the call, Bard provides... another bad call by moaning azz Sox "fans," no surprise there... why I generally stay away from the sox site... whining Nancies and know it alls.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

That does not warrant a callup to "help" the Red Sox. As I said, Bard stinks. He didn't stink two years ago, but he stinks now. They ruined him...

Bard gets the call, Bard provides... another bad call by moaning azz Sox "fans," no surprise there... why I generally stay away from the sox site... whining Nancies and know it alls.

I showed you his statistics. He stinks. Even if he has a good outing or two, he still stinks. He should be in the minor leagues until he earns the right to be called up. He is going to disappoint you, and he is going to lose even more of whatever confidence he has left. Bringing him up is a mistake.