Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox

In Response to Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox:
    [QUOTE]   IMO give him a chance, my only question is that he have enough pitches in his arsenal, fastball and one off speed pitch isn't going to cut it.
    Posted by attic-dan[/QUOTE]

I don't believe he has enough pitches to be a good starter.  He will need to develop another pitch and I am not sure how long that will take.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox : I don't believe he has enough pitches to be a good starter.  He will need to develop another pitch and I am not sure how long that will take.  
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Here's a scouting report on Bard from the SoSH website that lists some other pitches in his repertoire.

url=http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/Daniel_Bard%23Scouting_Report&rct=j&q=daniel+bard+scouting+report&usg=AFQjCNGgPSHD8Mdw6KzigJBG_V804B6oOA&sa=X&ei=gA_tTryqN6HK0AHXtOmpCQ&sqi=2&ved=0CEMQygQwBQ

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Bullfrogs, Notin, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

At this point, the fact that they aren't planning on making any big moves, Bard may be the closer. Who knows? IMO closers are guys that can come in at the last minute, have complete confidence, and no matter the situation they can handle it, and usually get the job done. If he can do that, hat's off. He did pal around with Pap, so maybe something rubbed off on him.

I don't really know the other closers out there, but I guess we can say at least Bard has pitched for the Sox, and knows what he's up against.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti. Show javaukti's posts

I think it's a very, very bad idea.

If he's on innings limit he's hurting the BP both coming and going.

If he's put into the rotation, what do the Sox do to keep him from becoming another failed Joba Chamberlain-in-the rotation- experiment. 

And all this needs to be figured out between a new manager and GM. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti. Show javaukti's posts

And I'll add this. Talking with reporters about what he wants to do is not a good sign. Perhaps stirring up some trouble is a calculated move. He wants to pitch elsewhere. As someone just posted here, he has been pals with Paplebon...
    Just sayin'...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]At this point, the fact that they aren't planning on making any big moves, Bard may be the closer. Who knows? IMO closers are guys that can come in at the last minute, have complete confidence, and no matter the situation they can handle it, and usually get the job done. If he can do that, hat's off. He did pal around with Pap, so maybe something rubbed off on him. I don't really know the other closers out there, but I guess we can say at least Bard has pitched for the Sox, and knows what he's up against.
    Posted by kimsaysthis[/QUOTE]

I agree with you that Bard may be the closer this upcoming season.  Not sure why he didn't close some games last season to evaluate how he would do.  It would have made sense for him to close games when we already had a closer and to see if he was ready.  I believe that he would be a more effective closer than a starting pitcher.  Although, he really wants to start and it sounds like he will be given the opportunity to start. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": [QUOTE]me too Burrito...he really was my fav player...cant believe he would do that to the team and his manager Posted by georom4[/QUOTE] Has something happened besides beer and chicken? Am I missing something? What's going on?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": [QUOTE]And I'll add this. Talking with reporters about what he wants to do is not a good sign. Perhaps stirring up some trouble is a calculated move. He wants to pitch elsewhere. As someone just posted here, he has been pals with Paplebon... Just sayin'... Posted by javaukti[/QUOTE] Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. Talking to reporters abut starting is fine because he talked to the TEAM about it first. It was his idea to take on this challenge, read my post above.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from javaukti. Show javaukti's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. Talking to reporters abut starting is fine because he talked to the TEAM about it first. It was his idea to take on this challenge, read my post above.
    Posted by TheExaminer[/QUOTE]

I think you're basically right. He probably just responded to a question by a reported, saying he'd love to start and believes he has the stuff.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": Ridiculous. Utterly ridiculous. Talking to reporters abut starting is fine because he talked to the TEAM about it first. It was his idea to take on this challenge, read my post above.

Peter Gammons reported Bard was interested in starting during last season. Bard was drafted out of UNC as a starter. That said what a player is drafted as does not always equate to MLB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": Has something happened besides beer and chicken? Am I missing something? What's going on?

Really Geo, you're giving up on the guy over beer and chicken?? People make mistakes, even million dollar MLB players. Let's give Beckett a chance to redeem himself. How he handles this season will speak louder to he is, than last, IMO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox : Really Geo, you're giving up on the guy over beer and chicken?? People make mistakes, even million dollar MLB players. Let's give Beckett a chance to redeem himself. How he handles this season will speak louder to he is, than last, IMO Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] Yeah, that's what I thought J. That was a low blow even for Geo I thought. I was wondering if some other new horror had come out that I missed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Georom is doing his best to fill the void left on the forum with the absence of Andrewmitch, Babe, and Yazzer. It's a tough job for even the best of trolls but somebody has to do it. Give him an A for effort but a D for substance.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

If you are giving up on the Sox rotatio after ChickenGate, you might as well give up on Major League Baseball.  That kind of behavior exists in EVERY clubhouse.  And its not the srt of problem the press wanted everyone to believe. 

I guess they found a sheep or two who believed it was serious....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Beer has been part of baseball since it began. It is there from the college and semi-pro level all the way to the top. Players actually coming to the games and playing drunk are not uncommon in baseball history. Winning pitchers have been bought beers after their win for over a century. Beer in airplanes, hotels, & clubhouses is very common.

For those who are acting horrified and going off on blood hunts after this non-story broke are comical.

(One of my best friends in college was a very good pitcher and a heavy drinker to say the least. He used to get upset when the manager pulled him before he had a chnace to get the win. What upset him most, was he lost a chance for a free beer buzz.)

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

as much as i think bard could succeed as a starter, i just dont think the team can afford to find out. just by taking him out of the pen bc would be creating a huge hole. jenks cannot be counted upon at all and with bard in the rotation we would only have melancon as a set up man.(no chance he closes). And as someone mentioned earlier, what happens in august when bards innings start to pile up? he is used to pitching half as many innings as he would if he were to be a starter. then on top of that he would have to alter his wind up which is always sketchy and then the biggest risk of all is that he could flop as a starter and then have trouble going back to being a reliever. then we would be left without a good set up man with closer potential. Its a huge risk converting bard to a starter and oen that we should no take. I would much rather trade prospect and get a least one good starter like gio gonzalez or matt garza and then sign someone like kuroda or oswalt to fill out the rotation. Thus allowing bard to stay in the pen. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliams. Show hankwilliams's posts

Players actually coming to the games and playing drunk are not uncommon in baseball history.

That was for a generation of players who grew up on the game before baseball FA era. It is not a joke to expect millionaire labor hands to come to work sober and eager to be professional about it.

Beckett et al owe the owners and the paying cutomers an apology. If I go to work drunk, I will not do my job to the best of my abilities and will be subject to discipline.

I expect zero responsiblity from offending players under contract. It is the ones like Varitek and Wastefield who are not under contract who can and are being replaced. MLB is a business involving a closed labor shop who does not put up it's own financial capital. All fans (pay the bills) should expect labor to show up for work, sober and committed to the task at hand. 

Valentine has his work cut out for him. Epstein never earned any respect from the players and never got it. Tito was in the middle and lost his job. The offenders need to change their frathouse behavior (regardless what other clubhouses do) and be professional in performing their expensive labor contracts. For those who do not, they will need to be traded at first best opportunity.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

That kind of behavior exists in EVERY clubhouse

I find that hard to believe

maybe it's because only 12 mlb teams allow alcohol
     in the club house

Is chicken outlawed too?

You really think all pitchers on their off days never slouch around on their offdays?

well moon

even though there are 2 weeks left

I'm betting that's your worse post of the yr

I don't think that anyone  has a problem with or any misconceptions

that these guys don't drink

I believe they had more of a problem with them doing it

as a small clique DURRING the games

I'm not condoning what they did, but I also am not saying what they did was the cause of the collapse.

along with questionable work out trends 

I agree on this, but are you then blaming Papi? Where does the witch hunt start and end? Maybe 25-30% of the league has questionable work habits.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Players actually coming to the games and playing drunk are not uncommon in baseball history. That was for a generation of players who grew up on the game before baseball FA era. It is not a joke to expect millionaire labor hands to come to work sober and eager to be professional about it. Beckett et al owe the owners and the paying cutomers an apology. If I go to work drunk, I will not do my job to the best of my abilities and will be subject to discipline. I expect zero responsiblity from offending players under contract. It is the ones like Varitek and Wastefield who are not under contract who can and are being replaced. MLB is a business involving a closed labor shop who does not put up it's own financial capital. All fans (pay the bills) should expect labor to show up for work, sober and committed to the task at hand.  Valentine has his work cut out for him. Epstein never earned any respect from the players and never got it. Tito was in the middle and lost his job. The offenders need to change their frathouse behavior (regardless what other clubhouses do) and be professional in performing their expensive labor contracts. For those who do not, they will need to be traded at first best opportunity.
    Posted by hankwilliams[/QUOTE]

Pure drivel.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard: I've got 'raw stuff' to start for Sox : That kind of behavior exists in EVERY clubhouse I find that hard to believe maybe it's because only 12 mlb teams allow alcohol   in the club house
    Posted by pinstripezac[/QUOTE]

But the idea of the SP off doing their own thing on off-days and not watching the game?  Everywhere.

The idea of players playing getting invovled in other activities? Everywhere.  AJ PIerzynski said its very common for guys in the game to check in on their Fantasy Football games during Sunday games. 

Fans just want this kind of thing to mean someting, because they get to assign blame and work forward from there.  The truth is, it was a pointless media distraction...