Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;;

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;;

In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;;:
    [QUOTE]Bard and Buch though different in many ways use thinking of base runners as a means of delaying the most important issue, working on the batter. Dyson was a huge distraction in the 8 th--with a one run lead and the lefty Gordon I think you make the move to a lefty, you have three, Morales, Hill and Miller. Bard would leave, can't lose the game, and with the exception of his meltdown in the second inning had pitched well. As Eck said it's a learning experience. I was actually thinking BV might bring Aceves in for a two inning save with two on and no outs in the 8 th. Oh well everyone's learning.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Good point.  Bard needs to focus on attacking hitters and trusting his stuff.  His stuff is so good (better than Buchholz's).  He just has to learn how to trust it.

Some pitchers have to nibble and try to fool hitters by mixing up their pitches because their stuff isn't good enough to beat hitters.  Bard doesnt have this problem.  All he has to do is throw strikes and his stuff will take care of everything else.  He just has to learn to trust himself.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;; : This is his fifth career start. Even the Daniel Bard on your XBox would be gassed after 6 innings...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

Captain Notin (BS factor 0.00), don't forget that despite a lifetime (from age 6 anyway) of being the highest achiever in their hometowns in baseball - and probably most other sports - guys like Bard, AGon, Youk, McDonald, etc. are not only relaxed about failing and being abused by idiotic, rabble-rousing sports "journalists" and the ar*ehole "fans" here, they actively choose to fail to attract the opprobrium* of "fans" that don't even know what opprobrium* means.

Most of whom, I'd wager, think it's ok to intentionally hit a batter with a pitch.

* - The latin word is "opprobriis"....in case SoftyHank wants to smartify my post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;; : Captain Notin (BS factor 0.00), don't forget that despite a lifetime (from age 6 anyway) of being the highest achiever in their hometowns in baseball - and probably most other sports - guys like Bard, AGon, Youk, McDonald, etc. are not only relaxed about failing and being abused by idiotic, rabble-rousing sports "journalists" and the ar*ehole "fans" here, they actively choose to fail to attract the opprobrium* of "fans" that don't even know what opprobrium* means. Most of whom, I'd wager, think it's ok to intentionally hit a batter with a pitch. * - The latin word is "opprobriis" ....in case SoftyHank wants to smartify my post.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

love the new avatar chilli.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]More like where is Bobby v, i have never seen so many starters left in when they have nothing left in the tank as i have this year.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

If bard was gassed after 86 pitches, he has no business being a SP.

He wasn't tired, he was too worried about the base-runners and tried to rush the ball to the plate. Just needs time to mature.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

This is not a mystery!  Bard himself told us the problem!!!!  How many more times does the kid have to say it????  "I felt great!  NO FATIGUE!  I SAW THE FINISH LINE & WANTED TO RUSH TO IT & GET IT OVER WITH!  I lost my focus & tried to get too fine........"

I've heard the kid say this in almost every start this year!  What the F is the pitching coach saying to Bard before sending him out???  Tell him to just relax & throw strikes.  Keep it simple!  OR F'n pull him if you even suspect he's gonna sprint to that metaphorical finish line!  How many times do they need to listen to this song before they change the record?????

This TEAM / NON-TEAM is a mess!  So we hire a guy who is CLEARLY WAY PAST HIS NEVER WAS PRIME!  Bobby v. MUST GO!!!!

At a minimum, bobby v. has cost this NON-TEAM 5 wins!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;; : love the new avatar chilli.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Some people like jazz, some like folk.  Some like nothing at all, some like "everything" (same thing to me i.e. no passion)....

Whether one digs the Ramones' sound or not is obviously subjective....but to dismiss out of ignorance the sad, wistful, beautiful panorama of life in 1960s Queens created by the Ramones is really sad to me.  In 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 years Spanish Punks* will still be wearing Ramones t-shirts.  :-)

* By a margin of roughly 10 quintillion miles Spain is, today, the Mecca of rock'n'roll.  Been to a gig there?  If you have, you might, but probably won't, disagree.  Haven't?  Keep rattling your jewelry while struggling to get your wide rear load out of your expensive seat+....or save up to go.  If you give a cr*p ask me for ideas on where to go.

+ - A seat?!  Cool man, sit down rock'n'roll is where it's at%....

% - Ok, that's obviously absurd, it's rubbish and fake, don't lie to yourself.  If you're 30, or 40, or 50, or 60, or 70 or more....and what you want is to have a civilised drink watching some tame band from your seat at Great Woods (does that still exist?) then do it, good for you, and musicians mostly need the money.  I'm fine with that, if a bit sad.

But if you want to see a proper rock'n'roll band, in a proper place, then getcher butt out to a gig (TT's?  Middle East?  Not a lot left anymore).   I promise you that if anyone there actually notices and gives a cr*p they'll think "that's cool, s/he's still into real music".

I'm not that into NYC rock'n'roll as much as I used to be, but Otto's Shrunken Head still does it for me.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]Whether it was mental or physical fatigue he should have been pulled.  He has struggled with poor finishes this year.  The first batter should have been the last or not faced at all. vs TB  7th inning 2 outs and then BB,  single,  BB, BB then pulled vs Oak  6th inning: single, out, double, double, HBP, double then pulled vs Tor 6th inning: BB, single then pulled   vs CHW 7th inning clean, then pulled I have actually been surprised they have left Bard in as long as they have. I thought they'd break him in slowly, especially since they know he will not give them 180+ IP no matter how well he does as a starter.  I expected 4 IP, then 5, 5, 5, 6, 6 6, then maybe 7. Not having Aceves in long relief hurts that idea, but messing Bard up should be avoided at all costs. The kid can pitch.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I feel the same way about the length of his early starts.  I figured they'd be pulling him out a little earlier even if he was pitching well.  I think it is more important to do it between innings -- it's better for Bard since he isn't getting pulled based on "results" and it's a lot easier on the relievers to start a clean frame.  I've been surprised that BV is riding him as long as he has and waiting to pull him once the jam has already happened.  In the early season starts, a somewhat early switch between innings would have helped get that sense of early success and also continue to build up his stamina.  

FWIW, I felt the same way about Buch's start against Oakland.  I was really disappointed to see him out there for the 7th.  With an 11-1 lead, I thought that was a perfect game to just send one of the pen guys out to start the 7th and let Buch sleep on a good start.  There was no way Buch was pitching past the seventh, so one extra inning on the pen would have been a small price to pay for what could have been a nice step to restoring his confidence.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;; : Some people like jazz, some like folk.  Some like nothing at all, some like "everything" (same thing to me i.e. no passion).... Whether one digs the Ramones' sound or not is obviously subjective....but to dismiss out of ignorance the sad, wistful, beautiful panorama of life in 1960s Queens created by the Ramones is really sad to me.  In 10, 100, 1,000, 10,000 years Spanish Punks* will still be wearing Ramones t-shirts.  :-) * By a margin of roughly 10 quintillion miles Spain is, today, the Mecca of rock'n'roll.  Been to a gig there?  If you have, you might, but probably won't, disagree.  Haven't?  Keep rattling your jewelry while struggling to get your wide rear load out of your expensive seat+....or save up to go.  If you give a cr*p ask me for ideas on where to go. + - A seat?!  Cool man, sit down rock'n'roll is where it's at%.... % - Ok, that's obviously absurd, it's rubbish and fake, don't lie to yourself.  If you're 30, or 40, or 50, or 60, or 70 or more....and what you want is to have a civilised drink watching some tame band from your seat at Great Woods (does that still exist?) then do it, good for you, and musicians mostly need the money.  I'm fine with that, if a bit sad. But if you want to see a proper rock'n'roll band, in a proper place, then getcher butt out to a gig (TT's?  Middle East?  Not a lot left anymore).   I promise you that if anyone there actually notices and gives a cr*p they'll think "that's cool, s/he's still into real music". I'm not that into NYC rock'n'roll as much as I used to be, but Otto's Shrunken Head still does it for me.
    Posted by Chilliwings[/QUOTE]

Love Otto's.  Played there a few times myself.  Gotta go to Brooklyn to find anything worthwhile in NY these days though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Bard, what the phuc are u doing????;; : I would have no problem with it if he had been starting for a long stretch, as a newbie I feel BV should have taken the cautious approach.   It may not have been physical, but mentally he may not have been right.
    Posted by tom-uk[/QUOTE]
    Tom, you certainly have a point. But the problem, as I see it, was that Bard must have seemed OK both physically and mentally after the 7th, but then went out for the 8th and immediately fell apart. He'd been wild earlier, as he was to Dyson, but settled down. He still had good stuff. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Whether it was mental or physical fatigue he should have been pulled.  He has struggled with poor finishes this year.  The first batter should have been the last or not faced at all. vs TB  7th inning 2 outs and then BB,  single,  BB, BB then pulled vs Oak  6th inning: single, out, double, double, HBP, double then pulled vs Tor 6th inning: BB, single then pulled   vs CHW 7th inning clean, then pulled I have actually been surprised they have left Bard in as long as they have. I thought they'd break him in slowly, especially since they know he will not give them 180+ IP no matter how well he does as a starter.  I expected 4 IP, then 5, 5, 5, 6, 6 6, then maybe 7. Not having Aceves in long relief hurts that idea, but messing Bard up should be avoided at all costs. The kid can pitch.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    Moon, it appears that, given the state of the rotation ( see Abraham ), Valentine and McClure don't think the club can afford to break Bard in slowly. The team is off to a rocky start. The pen is piling up innings. Even if they had "planned" to coax him along, the exigencies of the moment often override things like pitching theory, innings, etc. IMO, last night was one of those moments. Bard is a big strong kid who still had great stuff even as he was all over the place in the 8th. But he lost it upstairs. He didn't concentrate on making sure he didn't walk the p and j batter who led off the inning and had already gone 0 for 3. 
    ( The ump even gave him an extra strike. ) That should not happen. Even if a pitcher is tired. He makes a small adjustment. Just throw strikes. McClure and Valentine must have checked to make sure that Bard still felt good to go, and they might even have checked with Stoppach. 
    Some posters think these pitchers should be pulled ( Buchholz against Oakland, Bard last night ) when they are ahead in order to nurture their confidence. OTOH, confidence comes from pitching effectively over longer stretches. Up until the meltdown, Bard looked as though he felt totally in control. That's how it looked to Valentine and McClure. I also think that Valentine and McClure are trying to push pitchers to go beyond 6.1 and 7 if they are not at, say, 110 pitches. I may be "old school" on this issue, but I like the idea, even early in the season.
    Maybe Bard learned something. Even if a little tired, he can still trust his stuff to retire batters if he doesn't overthrow but concentrates on the zone, especially against weaker hitters.
    The people close to the situation last night made a decision on the best of their knowledge. Bard crossed them up. 
    Let's see how he does next time, and the time after that, and....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

Ex - You make a good point re: exigence and I wouldn't criticize BV for sending Bard back out in the 8th.  I have just been surprised at the length of his outings overall ... especially considering the time of year and that he is still building up.  Minor point, I guess.  I do hope it was a learning experience for Bard.  I am waiting for the start where he challenges the hitters consistently including reaching back for his strikeout stuff when he needs it.  That could make him a truly dominant starter.

Re: Buch's Oakland start, I think pulling him after 6 would have clearly been a better decision.  He had four straight rocky starts and was sorely in need of a solid outing to help get him going.  Sometimes a manager has to help with that and the BP was in pretty good shape given the previous three games.  With the 10 run lead and fairly rested BP it would have been a better choice, IMO.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Ex - You make a good point re: exigence and I wouldn't criticize BV for sending Bard back out in the 8th.  I have just been surprised at the length of his outings overall ... especially considering the time of year and that he is still building up.  Minor point, I guess.  I do hope it was a learning experience for Bard.  I am waiting for the start where he challenges the hitters consistently including reaching back for his strikeout stuff when he needs it.  That could make him a truly dominant starter. Re: Buch's Oakland start, I think pulling him after 6 would have clearly been a better decision.  He had four straight rocky starts and was sorely in need of a solid outing to help get him going.  Sometimes a manager has to help with that and the BP was in pretty good shape given the previous three games.  With the 10 run lead and fairly rested BP it would have been a better choice, IMO.
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]
    Your opinion about the Oakland game is certainly legitimate.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DEBeardsr. Show DEBeardsr's posts

Any one out there still believe this poor excuse for a pitcher is the second coming of Nolan Ryan?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]More like where is Bobby v, i have never seen so many starters left in when they have nothing left in the tank as i have this year.
    Posted by RSF4Life234[/QUOTE]

He had plenty left in the tank, having thrown just 86 pitches with plenty of speed left in his fast ball.  If 86 is his new limit, sometime soon his new limit will be 80 pitches, then 75. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

I kind of wish the squeeze bunt had worked for KC in the 7th.  Tie the game and hopefully Bard gets the next out.  Then start the 8th with Hill.

Hindsight, of course.  

I agree with some here that he should've been pulled after the first walk in the 8th, or at least another coaching visit to get his mind off the runner.  At the very least a catching visit.  His concentration was clearly off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Bard is now more prepard to pitch 7 next outing... his now stronger.

Sections
Shortcuts