Bard

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Bard

How is he handled in AA? Does he close and keep pitching regardless of results so that he can develop consistancy with is delivery? Is he the set up man...pitching every game regardless of results? Or does he come in in non leveraged situations until he proves consistant?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Re: Bard

In response to rkarp's comment:

How is he handled in AA? Does he close and keep pitching regardless of results so that he can develop consistancy with is delivery? Is he the set up man...pitching every game regardless of results? Or does he come in in non leveraged situations until he proves consistant?

I would think he would close and get consistant work.  It will help his confidence to be the man at the end of games and if he can't get it done in Portland  he won't get it done in boston, thats for sure.  I hope he gets consistant and makes it back, someone in the pen will surely be on the DLl at some point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I would assume he will have an Assignment/Prescription at AA. Once it cures some of his ills he will move to AAA. If they are not solved in AA perhaps he will be re-assigned to a lower level.

The Jay's, Rickey Romero, who opened the season for the Jays last year was sent to A ball to start the process over.

Doc Halladay was sent to A years ago to start over --look how far he has come.

Somrthing will, hopefully, click with Bard or the Sox will trade or release him and someone else will hopefully fix him. He was a special kind of a talent less than two years ago.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I would assume he will have an Assignment/Prescription at AA. Once it cures some of his ills he will move to AAA. If they are not solved in AA perhaps he will be re-assigned to a lower level.

The Jay's, Rickey Romero, who opened the season for the Jays last year was sent to A ball to start the process over.

Doc Halladay was sent to A years ago to start over --look how far he has come.

Somrthing will, hopefully, click with Bard or the Sox will trade or release him and someone else will hopefully fix him. He was a special kind of a talent less than two years ago.

Like Miller the talent is there so its tough to just let a guy go you know can succeed.  If anything I see Bard recovering, or possibly being part of a mid season trade.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

At some point, our best bet is to make him part of a trade (blockbuster) that will be here sooooner or later !!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

even when he was pitching in triple digits, his fastball was still being smacked around....this may be hard for sox fans to accept but maybe he is just not a good pitcher...

AA ball is saying youre a lost cause

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

even when he was pitching in triple digits, his fastball was still being smacked around....this may be hard for sox fans to accept but maybe he is just not a good pitcher...

As DAD would say .......    "SON, you need more than a great fastball to stay in the big time"  !!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

They also might have wanted him to work specifically with pitching coach Bob Kipper.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

What are you basing this on?  A couple of games?

In 2010-2011 opponents .avg was below .200, .slg below .300.  That's pretty good.  He ranked 5th in the AL in opponent .ops in 2010 for pitchers with 60 or more innings, 7th in 2011.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

In 2010-2011 opponents .avg was below .200, .slg below .300.  That's pretty good.  He ranked 5th in the AL in opponent .ops in 2010 for pitchers with 60 or more innings, 7th in 2011.

he was quite good at times, but he was also quite hittable....youre new to the board (unless youre an alias) and i mentioned in a few times in posts (mostly in amazement how anyone could hit that ball at all going 100mph)

maybe it lacked movement...whatever that means....but he blew 2/3 of his saves when he was replacing Paps on those days paps wasnt available in 2011..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

he was quite good at times, but he was also quite hittable....youre new to the board (unless youre an alias) and i mentioned in a few times in posts (mostly in amazement how anyone could hit that ball at all going 100mph)

maybe it lacked movement...whatever that means....but he blew 2/3 of his saves when he was replacing Paps on those days paps wasnt available in 2011..

2008 is not 'new to the board'.  I don't post a lot, only when I have something meaningful to say.  Blowing 2/3 of his saves, if that's actually true, is more an indication of mental problems than how hittable he is and it's a 3 inning sample.  Season long numbers are much more representative.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I didn't know Bard was in line to be a closer--at least not with the Sox. I think they were hoping Bard could reagain his control to take Bailey's spot--stop the bleeding in a clutch situation, perhaps freeing Bailey up for a trade to the Tigers or Rangers. Hasn't worked yet.

Greenwell made some valid points, not bashing or throwing Bard under the bus. Stats speak for themselves. Kipper has a good reputation as a mentor. As I indicated in a related post both Doc and Romero were sent to A--Doc must be all washed up--guess not.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Until last year, he was never 'quite hittable'.

Between 2009-2011, at his level of IPs, he was #3 in BAA, out of a pool of 223 pitchers that qualified.

And blown saves for a setup pitcher is not a legitimate category.  Clippard, by that standard, is the worst pitcher in BB.  Over the same period, he had 1 save and 18 BS.  Gregerson had a 3/15 ratio.  Gerrier had a 3/12.

The BS/Save ratio only works if you have a legitimate chance to save the game.  Once a guy like Clippard became a closer, his save ratio went from 1:19 to 32:37.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

But past correcting your use of stats, I agree that it is unlikely we'll see him in a Red Sox uniform again.  Let him redeem himself in AA, and see if he can find himself for another team.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

I didn't know Bard was in line to be a closer--at least not with the Sox. I think they were hoping Bard could reagain his control to take Bailey's spot--stop the bleeding in a clutch situation, perhaps freeing Bailey up for a trade to the Tigers or Rangers. Hasn't worked yet.

Greenwell made some valid points, not bashing or throwing Bard under the bus. Stats speak for themselves. Kipper has a good reputation as a mentor. As I indicated in a related post both Doc and Romero were sent to A--Doc must be all washed up--guess not.  

i agree with the stats being good - this is my point about stats - there were at times when he was quite hittable and wild during those times..whether it was a lack of concentration, intensity or flat pitches...this is why you watch the game...i cant help it if i can see what others cant see years before it becomes fact   :)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

i agree with the stats being good - this is my point about stats - there were at times when he was quite hittable and wild during those times..whether it was a lack of concentration, intensity or flat pitches...this is why you watch the game...i cant help it if i can see what others cant see years before it becomes fact   :)

Isn't that actually the point of stats?  They combine the good bad and in between to give averages that allow comparison between different players.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Back in January of this year a poster on this board noted that Rick Peterson was available and that we, the RS, should pick him up. Couple of days later the Orioles grabbed him. For those of you that aren't familiar with him, he's a long time pitching coach with a particular skill set for getting pitchers that are off-track back on track among other things. I know the Sox had to be thinking about aquiring him so much so that shortly after that that they made their announcement of a new special asst. to Ben C. The greatest pitcher in modern day history for the Sox, Pedro Martinez. Pedro quickly made it known that he was able to fix himself when he got out of kilter but wasn't too keen on the idea that he would be able to fix others in the organization. With Bard going to AA Portland, the other shoe just dropped.

Sections
Shortcuts