Bard?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Bard?

DFA today? He's done, isn't he?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Re: Bard?

In response to lasitter's comment:

DFA today? He's done, isn't he?

i didn't see that? well someone had to go to make room for quintin berry for sept.1 call up...need room on 40 man roster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

Bard on board

Former star reliever Daniel Bard had a horrible outing in rookie ball on Thursday, walking five, throwing two wild pitches and allowing four steals. The Red Sox aren’t ready to give up on him, though, and Farrell said he could make an appearance at short-season Lowell.

“There’s been a conversation had with him, particularly after yesterday’s outing, which was a rough one,” Farrell said. “He wants a couple more appearances and we can provide those to him, just for one to give him an opportunity and see where that might go. The potential of that being at Lowell is a real (possibility).

“Daniel has not closed the book on the season. And I think that’s s the first and foremost thing.”

Bard is in danger of being removed from the 40-man roster, particularly with speedster Quintin Berry needing to be added before he can join the team as soon as tomorrow, when rosters expand. . . .

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/08/dempster_plans_on_staying_put#sthash.FWv8tkJD.dpuf

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

do we make a deal today? we need relief....

http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/08/call_out_for_relief_plan

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

The Sox could DFA Bard, but probably will not.  Snyder is an easy DFA if they need a 40 man roster space for Berry tomorrow.

Snyder played hard and had a couple of big hits, but he is a journey man infielder that will be easily replaced over the winter to add some depth at Pawtucket for next season.  The Sox have many guys in front of him for 3B for next season.

In fact, he may even get re-signed during the winter to fill the same role he had this year since it is unlikely that any other team would pick him up to do more than the Sox have asked of him.

Bard is worth holding on to if they can squeeze enough guys on to the 40 man roster to prevent a key young guy from being taken in the Rule 5 draft.  He could get pushed off at that point, however.

Bard appears to need a new home as well so what they do with him could be interesting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I just think that protecting some other player from Rule 5 is more important than keeping him. He seems completely lost at this point.

Also, I think that any other team that claims him has to put him on their own roster, so there's a disincentive here. If unclaimed in the draft, there are other possibilities still. Perhaps someone will pop up with a refresher on Rule 5 claiming team responsibilities ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Sox won't cut him if they think he can regain his form and by keeping him does not cause them to have to cut another player that has more value to the organization. Given that he spent the better part of this year rehabbing, one bad appearance even one as bad as he had won't be cause for immediate dismissal. He's walking a fine line and the calendar is not his friend...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

I just think that protecting some other player from Rule 5 is more important than keeping him. He seems completely lost at this point.

Also, I think that any other team that claims him has to put him on their own roster, so there's a disincentive here. If unclaimed in the draft, there are other possibilities still. Perhaps someone will pop up with a refresher on Rule 5 claiming team responsibilities ...

From Minor League Baseball:

A team that selects a player in the Rule 5 Draft pays $50,000 to the team from which he was selected. The receiving team must then keep the player on the Major League 25-man roster for the entirety of the next season, and the selected player must remain active (not on the disabled list) for a minimum of 90 days. If the player does not remain on the Major League roster, he is offered back to the team he was selected from for $25,000. If his original team declines, the receiving team may waive the player.

Once a player is selected, he is automatically assigned to his new organization's 40-man roster.

http://www.milb.com/milb/events/rule5draft.jsp

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

hill55: That's what I was remembering. I think there's enough disincentive there to think we could get him back, IF we wanted.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

The Sox won't cut him if they think he can regain his form and by keeping him does not cause them to have to cut another player that has more value to the organization. Given that he spent the better part of this year rehabbing, one bad appearance even one as bad as he had won't be cause for immediate dismissal. He's walking a fine line and the calendar is not his friend...

They will cut him. If they don't, they will owe him $1M plus. He faced 6 batters in Lowell today, pitched 1 inning, walked 4 batters, threw a wild pitch and struck out two. Four walks in an inning at one level above the lowest of all, the Gulf Coast League.

Sections
Shortcuts