BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........

DOWN ON THE FARM ???????  TEXT-BOOK SWING !!   CARLTON OH CARLTON, IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY !!!!!!!   (YES, I CAN HEAR DAD NOW, AS IF IT REALLY WAS YESTERDAY !!)        WHAT SAY YOU ???  ALL YOU T-BALLERS !!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........

Ummm..... exercise his option?

I'd rather have the depth at catcher for now, and I have little faith in Saltalamacchia. 

Let Lavarnway grow into the position.  Obviosuly, the people with a clue think he isn't ready to take over, and the only people who think he has MLB catching skills are basing it on the offense they wanted to see...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THE KID JUST DOUBLED !!!!!!   WOW ....... IF TED WILLIAMS COULD SEE THIS KID !!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

No question about his offense, Bill.....none. Still needs some time to work on his defense, has only been playing the position since college. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........:
     no question about his offense, Bill.....none. Still needs some time to work on his defense, has only been playing the position since college. 
    Posted by J-BAY
      THE  ROAD TO FENWAY PAAAAK IS THROUGH THE WALL !!!!  HIS DEFENSE WILL COME, SOOOOONER, RATHER THAN LATER !!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

As dad would say: "Son, drive in at least two runs for every one the other team scores on your errors and you'll make the team."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from smitty527. Show smitty527's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........:
    In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... :   THE  ROAD TO FENWAY PAAAAK IS THROUGH THE WALL !!!!  HIS DEFENSE WILL COME, SOOOOONER, RATHER THAN LATER !!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Is there any particular reasoning behind your absolute abuse of caps lock?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

GOOD CALL BILL, GOOD CALL.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Is there any particular reasoning behind your absolute abuse of caps lock?
    Posted by smitty527
    SON, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR TALKING TO HERE ???   SON, I AM A SEASONED VET ON THIS BOARD WITH OVER  9,000 POSTS......  SON, YOU SHOW UP WITH YOUR  F I R S T  POST AND FEEL THAT YOU NEED TO QUESTION MY PRINT/STYLE ON THIS BOARD .  WELL, I WILL TELL YOU, IT'S MY BAD EYES......... SON, IS THAT OK WITH YOU ??? THIS BOARD WILL TELL YOU A LOT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO USE IT.....  MY SENSE, IS THAT YOU ARE A LIB/LEFT/SOC/"BIG O" FOLLOWER THAT LIKE THE "BIG O" HAS ALL THE ANSWERS WITHOUT THE FOLLOW THROUGH .....  AM I RIGHT, SON ??

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : SON, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR TALKING TO HERE ???   SON, I AM A SEASONED VET ON THIS BOARD WITH OVER  9,000 POSTS......  SON, YOU SHOW UP WITH YOUR  F I R S T  POST AND FEEL THAT YOU NEED TO QUESTION MY PRINT/STYLE ON THIS BOARD .  WELL, I WILL TELL YOU, IT'S MY BAD EYES......... SON, IS THAT OK WITH YOU ??? THIS BOARD WILL TELL YOU A LOT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO USE IT.....  MY SENSE, IS THAT YOU ARE A LIB/LEFT/SOC/"BIG O" FOLLOWER THAT LIKE THE "BIG O" HAS ALL THE ANSWERS WITHOUT THE FOLLOW THROUGH .....  AM I RIGHT, SON ??
    Posted by Bill-806

Let no one question Bill seeing Lavarnway for what he is, despite his bad eyes, Bill knows a Capital Letter STAR when he sees one. Good work SON!!!!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........:
      DOWN ON THE FARM ???????  TEXT-BOOK SWING !!   CARLTON OH CARLTON, IT WAS ONLY YESTERDAY !!!!!!!   (YES, I CAN HEAR DAD NOW, AS IF IT REALLY WAS YESTERDAY !!)        WHAT SAY YOU ???  ALL YOU T-BALLERS !!
    Posted by Bill-806

Keeping him on the farm isn't a problem and we should have more depth at catcher with Shoppach.  Tek would be great to have behind the plate for Bard but I feel pretty confident in Kelly and Salty.  Next season for sure Ryan should be in our lineup somewhere but I also see his bat helping us at some point this year as well.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Keeping him on the farm isn't a problem and we should have more depth at catcher with Shoppach.  Tek would be great to have behind the plate for Bard but I feel pretty confident in Kelly and Salty.  Next season for sure Ryan should be in our lineup somewhere but I also see his bat helping us at some point this year as well.
    Posted by craze4sox
    CRAZYSOX......  NEWS FLASH,  TECK'S SHIP HAS SAILED.........  LAVARNWAY IS YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK !!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : CRAZYSOX......  NEWS FLASH,  TECK'S SHIP HAS SAILED.........  LAVARNWAY IS YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

Bill, I agree Teks time has passed.  Lavarnway is an untouchable in my opinion so whether he takes over for David, or one of our starting catchers next season its fine with me.  My point was, I respect Teks handling of the kids but expect Shoppach to be better offensively and to keep more base runners honest this season.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : CRAZYSOX......  NEWS FLASH,  TECK'S SHIP HAS SAILED.........  LAVARNWAY IS YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806

I could see you saying that about Bryce Harper, but not Lavarnway, who is ranked as the #115 prospect by Scouting Book, which is a weighted ranking of all the prospect surveys. That doesn't mean he won't be good, because it certainly seems that way; but why don't you wait until he plays a full season before making such an inane declaration as comparing him to a HOF Catcher?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

There is no need to rush him, Salty can handle the staff and Shoppach is a serviceable backup.  Lavarnway needs more time catching and learning how to call a game.

Injuries happen and if something happens to Salty, Shoppach or Ortiz then I think they will not hesitate to call on him to fill in whether its for a week or a month. 

One thing is for sure, he is a intriguing prospect who figures into the future plans of the RS in a key position.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Trade Salty start Lavarnway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i honestly dont know why people are giving salty the starting catcher job. its not like he did anything last year to deserve it. ya sure he hit a decent amount of homers in the number of games he play but his batting average was aweful and he often looked lost at the plate. defensively he is barely average at this point. If lavarnway plays well in spring training i would give him a shot at starting and make salty the back up. give the kid a shot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : I could see you saying that about Bryce Harper, but not Lavarnway, who is ranked as the #115 prospect by Scouting Book, which is a weighted ranking of all the prospect surveys. That doesn't mean he won't be good, because it certainly seems that way; but why don't you wait until he plays a full season before making such an inane declaration as comparing him to a HOF Catcher? http://www.scoutingbook.com/players/p2894
    Posted by nhsteven

Hey nh,

Ranking a youngster means very little considering nobody can evaluate how a youngster will do in the majors under real pressure and the best in the game.  Lav knows how to approach the game without being over confident and has the intelligence to learn from mistakes he makes along the way. 

Minor league baseball player ratings are a joke, as proved more often than not.  Lav has the natural talent and discipline at the plate, if he works as hard on defense, his major league career will be very successful.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Bill, I agree Teks time has passed.  Lavarnway is an untouchable in my opinion so whether he takes over for David, or one of our starting catchers next season its fine with me.  My point was, I respect Teks handling of the kids but expect Shoppach to be better offensively and to keep more base runners honest this season.
    Posted by craze4sox
    OK, I RESPECT YOUR RESPECT !!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Base Hit, Lavarnway.... How Ya Going To Keep This Boy.........

Did anyone notice what happened to passed balls when Lavarnway came in to play last year?

They stopped.

Almost 27 innings. Not one.

At that compared to universe leading Salty in the same category.

Other teams don't have our depth at catcher, and I think we should see what we can get for him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHAT A GREAT CATCH OF A FOUL BALL IN THE LAST INNING TODAY......  CIRCA CARLTON FISK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   FOR SURE !!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Lavarnway should get some time.  Its not like Salty is this great defensive master out there.  Hell he can barely throw down to second base and he is not the hitter Lavernway is at this moment.  I say keep him up with the big club and learn to catch, also play a little DH against tough lefties and let see what happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Hey nh, Ranking a youngster means very little considering nobody can evaluate how a youngster will do in the majors under real pressure and the best in the game.  Lav knows how to approach the game without being over confident and has the intelligence to learn from mistakes he makes along the way.  Minor league baseball player ratings are a joke, as proved more often than not.  Lav has the natural talent and discipline at the plate, if he works as hard on defense, his major league career will be very successful.      
    Posted by craze4sox

The rankings are based on pooled expert opinions, not some yahoos who see what they want. You might recall the wet dreams here for other prospects the last few yrs on end. However, although the pooled scouting reports are a belwether indication, it is hard, even for them, to accurately predict the future. Mike Piazza was a 62nd Rd Draft choice, and was only drafted as a personal favor, for example. If you'd bother to read the scouting report, you'd see it was spot on, positive stuff, and it even praised his game calling savvy; he should start right now IMO. To proclaim he's Fiskian at this point, however, is a little much.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

OK, I admit that I'm ALMOST as big a fan of Lavarnway as BILL but the reason why passed balls stopped is because none of the pitchers dared to throw a splitter with him in there. And that may have cost us the win in the last game of the season right there.

Just saying the truth folks!

I don't think Papelbon threw a single splitter in that last game.

All of baseball is rating Lavarnway lower than Bill and I. It would be optimistic to have our viewpoint objectively, comparing him to Fisk and such, but the potential is there for Lavarnway to have some Fisk type years. It's possible. He runs like Fisk. He hits like Fisk. Lavarnway's minor league numbers are if anything better. Lavarnway has shown a lot more pop so far. OBP, slugging...etc. He will be older when he reachs the majors and probably is worse defensively but it is possible this guy is an all star. I still think he's underated.   

On fangraphs there is an interesting ZIPS projection for him over 600 AB. 19 HR, .243 average, .316 OBP. Very pedestrian numbers. Scouts just don't think this guy is going to be the same hitter in mlb. They may have a point but I can't say I agree totally and I don't mind making that call. Throw tomatoes on me afterward. I think he beats those numbers easily. He should be a better hitter than that IMO, even in his first year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Bill-806 at the moment is just trying be irrationally exubrerant and trying to neutralize out the phletora of negativism that permeates the forum. In fact, Bill quite often is negative when he wishes to liven up a dying forum. Bill is not a consistent fan.

Sections
Shortcuts