BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........

I'm an big O fan but I think BILL is just an exuberant guy in general. You haven't been following BIG BILL AND HIS DAD'S PEARL'S OF WISDOM!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Lavarnway hit a bomb in Pawtuckett last year that landed on the roof of the concession building in CF, the announcer proclaimed; "I wouldn't have believed it, if I hadn't seen it!"  The kid can hit, and has hit at every level, unlike Fisk, who gradually became a better hitter. The one comment that sticks in my mind about Pudge hitting better in the Majors explained that ML pitchers are around the plate more,and more balls that are hitable, means more hits.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Fisk hit .338, .243, .229, and .263 as he worked his way up, biggest HR output was 12. Nothing in the numbers said HOF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

Do you mean that Bill is a fair weather fan?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : SON, DO YOU KNOW WHO YOUR TALKING TO HERE ???   SON, I AM A SEASONED VET ON THIS BOARD WITH OVER  9,000 POSTS......  SON, YOU SHOW UP WITH YOUR  F I R S T  POST AND FEEL THAT YOU NEED TO QUESTION MY PRINT/STYLE ON THIS BOARD .  WELL, I WILL TELL YOU, IT'S MY BAD EYES......... SON, IS THAT OK WITH YOU ??? THIS BOARD WILL TELL YOU A LOT ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO USE IT.....  MY SENSE, IS THAT YOU ARE A LIB/LEFT/SOC/"BIG O" FOLLOWER THAT LIKE THE "BIG O" HAS ALL THE ANSWERS WITHOUT THE FOLLOW THROUGH .....  AM I RIGHT, SON ??
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

The poster was right... 1 post or 9000, your caps lock AND bolding makes me completely ignore every one of your posts.

Not sure why your bad eyes are involved... I'd think it would matter reading OTHER people's posts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Lavarnway jammed himself yesterday on ball four up and in. The book probably calls for him to be pitched there, so that he cannot extend his arms. He'll have to learn to lay off that pitch, since even if he gets around on it the result will still be a lazy fly ball or a long foul. This is something that all young power hitters ( and not always young ones ) need to learn in order to force pitchers to bring the ball down over the inner half of the plate.  In the bigs he will also see more off-speed stuff -- almost anywhere in the count if the pitcher has good control. 
    I don't know if he sees this pitching pattern in AAA, but it probably is not as well executed there as in the majors. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : The poster was right... 1 post or 9000, your caps lock AND bolding makes me completely ignore every one of your posts. Not sure why your bad eyes are involved... I'd think it would matter reading OTHER people's posts.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]  SON, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR MISSING !!!!!Money mouth

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Do you mean that Bill is a fair weather fan?
    Posted by lowelll[/QUOTE]  I BEG YOUR PARDON,   I WAS AT A GAME IN 1954 WITH MOM & DAD, TEDDY BOY WAS WALKING TO THE PLATE & I HOLLORED OUT, "HIT ONE FOR ME TEDDY".... HE LOOKED AROUND AND "SMILED".... THEN PROCEEDED TO HIT A HOMER FOR THIS 7 YEAR OLD FAN...... AND WITH THAT MR. LOWELL, "THE REST IS HISTORY"  !!!!!  A FAIR WEATHER FAN ??  PLEASE SPARE ME/US !!!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]I'm an big O fan but I think BILL is just an exuberant guy in general. You haven't been following BIG BILL AND HIS DAD'S PEARL'S OF WISDOM!
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]  AND THAT SON, IS A  B I N G O !! DAD AND I WOULD SIT FOR HOURS WATCHING OUR BELOVED  RED SOX !!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Lavarnway jammed himself yesterday on ball four up and in. The book probably calls for him to be pitched there, so that he cannot extend his arms. He'll have to learn to lay off that pitch, since even if he gets around on it the result will still be a lazy fly ball or a long foul. This is something that all young power hitters ( and not always young ones ) need to learn in order to force pitchers to bring the ball down over the inner half of the plate.  In the bigs he will also see more off-speed stuff -- almost anywhere in the count if the pitcher has good control.  I don't know if he sees this pitching pattern in AAA, but it probably is not as well executed there as in the majors. 
    Posted by expitch[/QUOTE]YOUNG MAN,  DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IN THE FIRST  G F GAME THE CATHER & PITCHER REALLY GOES OVER THE "BOOK" ON THE OTHER TEAMS HITTERS.... I THINK NOT, AS  S T (EARLY ON) IS ALL ABOUT CONDITIONING, INNINGS, AND GETTING YOUR REP'S IN A RESPECTABLE FASION !!!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT LAVARNWAY, SMART KID FROM "YALE" !!!!!  "YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK" !!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... :   I BEG YOUR PARDON,   I WAS AT A GAME IN 1954 WITH MOM & DAD, TEDDY BOY WAS WALKING TO THE PLATE & I HOLLORED OUT, "HIT ONE FOR ME TEDDY".... HE LOOKED AROUND AND "SMILED".... THEN PROCEEDED TO HIT A HOMER FOR THIS 7 YEAR OLD FAN...... AND WITH THAT MR. LOWELL, "THE REST IS HISTORY"  !!!!!  A FAIR WEATHER FAN ??  PLEASE SPARE ME/US !!!!!!!

Bill, 

As much as I don't like Lowell's constant negativity I think he was more questioning the other person who wrote about you possibly being a fair weather fan. I don't think it was Lowell's intional to label you a fair wether fan.

Pete

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Bill,  As much as I don't like Lowell's constant negativity I think he was more questioning the other person who wrote about you possibly being a fair weather fan. I don't think it was Lowell's intional to label you a fair wether fan. Pete
    Posted by Hetchinspete[/QUOTE]  THANKS, BUT NO BIG DEAL.... AS DAD WOULD SAY......  "SON, YOU KNOW THE STORY ABOUT HEAT IN THE KITCHEN" !!!!  IM JUST THANKFUL THAT  AL GORE GAVE US THE ABILITY TO BE THE OWNER'S, G M, AND MANAGER OF OUR BELOVED RED SOX......  GO AL GORE, GO GREEN !!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Bill, how can you not love this kid?  Ivy league pedigree, real nice bat, can-do attitude, and showed poise in his first cup o coffee.  But, in the immortal words of A. Rose:

TRY A LITTLE PAAA-TIENCE, yeah yeah, A LITTLE PAAAAAAAA-TIENCE

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]Bill, how can you not love this kid?  Ivy league pedigree, real nice bat, can-do attitude, and showed poise in his first cup o coffee.  But, in the immortal words of A. Rose: TRY A LITTLE PAAA-TIENCE, yeah yeah, A LITTLE PAAAAAAAA-TIENCE
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]SPACEMAN.....  THATS A "WOW"  !!! DID SHE GO TO YALE TOO ????

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : SPACEMAN.....  THATS A "WOW"  !!! DID SHE GO TO YALE TOO ????

She didn't go to Yale Bill.  But she once trashed a room at the New Haven Marriott.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : YOUNG MAN,  DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT IN THE FIRST  G F GAME THE CATHER & PITCHER REALLY GOES OVER THE "BOOK" ON THE OTHER TEAMS HITTERS.... I THINK NOT, AS  S T (EARLY ON) IS ALL ABOUT CONDITIONING, INNINGS, AND GETTING YOUR REP'S IN A RESPECTABLE FASION !!!! DON'T WORRY ABOUT LAVARNWAY, SMART KID FROM "YALE" !!!!!  "YOUR NEXT CARLTON FISK" !!!!
    As long as pitchers and catchers are trying to retire batters, in any game, they will try to do what they think works best. 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to "Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY.........": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Great speech to your son. Just make sure YOUR son gets his education. We don't want him going through life mixing up when to use "YOUR" and "YOU'RE"  Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE] Your right..

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Great speech to your son. Just make sure YOUR son gets his education. We don't want him going through life mixing up when to use "YOUR" and "YOU'RE" 
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]  NEVER LET SPORTS GET IN YOUR WAY......Money mouthCoolYell

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]Ummm..... exercise his option? I'd rather have the depth at catcher for now, and I have little faith in Saltalamacchia.  Let Lavarnway grow into the position.  Obviosuly, the people with a clue think he isn't ready to take over, and the only people who think he has MLB catching skills are basing it on the offense they wanted to see...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

From an idealogical perspective, you are absolutely correct.

From a realistic perspective: if he helps us win more than Salty, he should be developing his D with Boston. 

Winning in 2012 > rookie development

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : From an idealogical perspective, you are absolutely correct. From a realistic perspective: if he helps us win more than Salty, he should be developing his D with Boston.  Winning in 2012 > rookie development
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Agree with this calculation with Lavarnway.  Disagree with Iglesias.

Rationale:  If Lavarnway doesn't pan out as a C, he can certainly move to the OF or DH.  If Iglesias can't get his bat together, he won't be able to cut it at the major league level.  And, defense can be learned on the job in the majors, but hitting is a different animal.

Of course, if Iggy shows that he is greatly improved offensively this spring, enough that he is not a crumble risk facing that ungodly breaking stuff in the show, I am all for getting his glove every night.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Agree with this calculation with Lavarnway.  Disagree with Iglesias. Rationale:  If Lavarnway doesn't pan out as a C, he can certainly move to the OF or DH.  If Iglesias can't get his bat together, he won't be able to cut it at the major league level.  And, defense can be learned on the job in the majors, but hitting is a different animal. Of course, if Iggy shows that he is greatly improved offensively this spring, enough that he is not a crumble risk facing that ungodly breaking stuff in the show, I am all for getting his glove every night.  
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Spaceman, I agree to an extent.  Every single baseball player is an individual.  Inglesias may or may not develop O at the MLB level.  Some have done it, some cant.  I believe it comes down to the individual.  

If you think that leaving Inglesias in AAA is better for him long-term, then that's something that should be taken into consideration.  But if he can help us at the major league level, I vote to bring him up.  There is no guarantee that leaving him down there will help.  Also: this isnt a bridge year.  Our goal should be to make the playoffs and we're going to need all the help we can get.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BASE HIT, LAVARNWAY.... HOW YA GOING TO KEEP THIS BOY......... : Spaceman, I agree to an extent.  Every single baseball player is an individual.  Inglesias may or may not develop O at the MLB level.  Some have done it, some cant.  I believe it comes down to the individual.   If you think that leaving Inglesias in AAA is better for him long-term, then that's something that should be taken into consideration.  But if he can help us at the major league level, I vote to bring him up.  There is no guarantee that leaving him down there will help.  Also: this isnt a bridge year.  Our goal should be to make the playoffs and we're going to need all the help we can get.
    Posted by Drewski5[/QUOTE]

Absolutely Drewski.  And, to this end, I have ammended the more nurturing thought I had on the matter at the end of last year (keep Iggy down no matter what, only serve this bread when it has fully risen because it will be deeelicious).  I now see it as:  if the kid can not strike out every other at-bat, by all means, bring him up.  

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from myaim45. Show myaim45's posts

Have him DH next year.

Sections
Shortcuts