Baseball America ranks farm systems

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Re: Baseball America ranks farm systems

When Prospects hit the Majors, thats when you tell how good a Farm System is. Also the Lower Draft Picks, that contribute tells how good the Scouting and Development is. Coaching is Huge in the Minors.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to crazyworldoftroybrown's comment:
    [QUOTE]

When Prospects hit the Majors, thats when you tell how good a Farm System is.

[/QUOTE]

This is true, but also keep in mind not all prospects are created equal.  A lot of times players have very little left to learn in the minors yet can struggle for a year or two as they are still developing.  Some prospects can hit the majors and become average to star players right away.

E.G. Xander Bogaerts. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Nice little write up on Trey Ball today:

http://news.soxprospects.com/2013/10/top-40-season-in-review-trey-ball.html

It's also offseason prospect ranking season and look for Baseball America to come out with the Sox top ten in about 6 weeks. 

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2014-top-10-prospects-index/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Yankees rank 16th out of 30th.  Puts them right in the middle of the pack, I do recall earlier having a conversation about the strength of their lower system.  This list was compiled using weights, and prospects in the lower minors were worth much less than the ones in the higher leagues.

With that said it's easy to see that the Yankees clearly have many more highly regarded prospects in the lower depths than most other teams.

That can mean three things: If more things go wrong than good for them, they will still have a middle of the pack to weak system, if more things go right than bad they could have one of the strongest systems in a few years. 

What is more likely and reasonable, is that some will go bust some will rise up and they will be right were they are now and somewhere in the middle of the pack.  Because as horrible as they've been at drafting talent in recent years one area they have done better than most teams is bringing in young international talent....I don't expect that to change.

.....but here's to hoping all of there prospects go BUST! and all of ours push their ceilings higher. 

[/QUOTE] forget it hugh, you lost him at "conversation"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In just 36 short hours, the exclamation point could go up marking the Height of the Red Sox Dynasty and the collapse of the once great mighty power from da bronx; with no hope of a turn around forthcoming.  To make matters worse, da "Ca$h"-man will be forced to dole out about a billion dollars worth of free agent contracts to satisfy the suicidal yankee fans to believe that a quick fix is on the way (Thank you Mr Cashman!)

It's no wonder why this forum is down to a mere ONE yankee fan.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In just 36 short hours, the exclamation point could go up marking the Height of the Red Sox Dynasty and the collapse of the once great mighty power from da bronx; with no hope of a turn around forthcoming.  To make matters worse, da "Ca$h"-man will be forced to dole out about a billion dollars worth of free agent contracts to satisfy the suicidal yankee fans to believe that a quick fix is on the way (Thank you Mr Cashman!)

[/QUOTE] wouldn't saying this is the "height" of the Sox dynasty infer that it's been ongoing?(as in several seasons)... i've said more than once the Sox were arguably the best team this year, but dynasty is kind of an untrue inferral coming on the heels of a last place finish.. no??

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

at the end of the day though, should they win tomorrow..it was deserved...so you can say whatever you'd like to...or you could chose to act like you've won before....  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As a 21-year-old at High A Salem, Sean Coyle struck out in 29.0 percent of his 224 plate appearances.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=coyle-001sea

As a 21-year-old at High A Salem, Will Middlebrooks struck out in 25.1 percent of his 481 plate appearances.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=middle001wil

[/QUOTE]

Yes but Middlebrooks has made it, and Coyle has yet to prove himself beyond single A.  Actually he's barely proved himself at single A. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Middy has made it to the bigs, but his future here is still in doubt.

32 HRs in 660 PAs looks fanatastic as do the 103 RBI, but the falling BA and fielding concerns handed his job to Bogey.

I'm not overly concerned about the 168 Ks, but if he continues to bat .227 (.271 OBP in 2013) then the Ks do become an issue. The Sox will not play a sub .300 OBP at 3B or 1B for too long.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Middlebrooks is a sure thing to lock down the 3B position for years to come and he has his issues....but he is by far more proven than Coyle.  He has a track record above single A, and despite his flaws 32 HR's and 103 RBI's in 660 PA is still 32 HR's and 103 RBI's, and he's still young.

Middlebrooks also put up better numbers when he got to Portland and Pawtucket and rose to be our #1 ranked prospect.  Now not all #1 ranked prospects are created equal; I remmeber on a recent Soxprospects podcast they talked about where Middlebrooks would rank in our system now if he was a prospect today, and they placed him somewhere in the 4-5 range. 

Meanwhile Coyle is ranked #27th in our system.  I'm not saying Coyle doesn't have similarities, and upside.....because he does.  I just don't think he has given us a lot to be optimistic about the last two years. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm really not that high on Coyle either, but was just pointing out that he still has time to fix that "hole in his swing".

Certainly, I have more faith in Middy, but I have serious doubts about his longterm effctiveness as a hitter. I think his fielding will come back around to where it was last year- pretty darn good.

I still think Bogey and Cecchini represent a better 3B future than Middy, and I'm not sure Middy can hit well enough to be a FT MLB 1Bman, but with Carp and Nava on board, we may go that route next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] wouldn't saying this is the "height" of the Sox dynasty infer that it's been ongoing?(as in several seasons)... i've said more than once the Sox were arguably the best team this year, but dynasty is kind of an untrue inferral coming on the heels of a last place finish.. no??

[/QUOTE]

3 WS in 10 years?

Only team in the century to win 3?

Playoff Appearances & 3 WS b/t 2003 and 2013 including making it to G7 of the ALCS 2x

But you are right, the height was in 1918 when they won 6 of the first 15 World Series.....oh yeah, and da bronx bombers weren't even on the map during that stetch.....Looks like history is repeating itself..........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

wouldn't saying this is the "height" of the Sox dynasty infer that it's been ongoing?(as in several seasons)... i've said more than once the Sox were arguably the best team this year, but dynasty is kind of an untrue inferral coming on the heels of a last place finish.. no??

[/QUOTE]

3 WS in 10 years?

Playoff Appearances & 3 WS b/t 2003 and 2013 including making it to G7 of the ALCS 2x

But you are right, the height was in 1918 when they won 6 of the first 15 World Series.....oh yeah, and da bronx bombers weren't even on the map during that stetch.....Looks like history is repeating itself..........

[/QUOTE] 2 and 3 will have been 6 years apart..with 2 non playoff seasons(3 counting 06') and a last place finish in between...hardly dynastic...anyway, like i said..if achieved...well earned...congrats will be given... 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

wouldn't saying this is the "height" of the Sox dynasty infer that it's been ongoing?(as in several seasons)... i've said more than once the Sox were arguably the best team this year, but dynasty is kind of an untrue inferral coming on the heels of a last place finish.. no??

[/QUOTE]

3 WS in 10 years?

[/QUOTE] 2 and 3 will have been 6 years apart..with 2 non playoff seasons(3 counting 06') and a last place finish in between...hardly dynastic...anyway, like i said..if achieved...well earned...congrats will be given... 

[/QUOTE]

In that 10 year span, there is no better team (IF they win this week)......you can argue all you want (by picking out the few negatives whilst ingoring the big picture) but it won't matter......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

As a 21-year-old at High A Salem, Sean Coyle struck out in 29.0 percent of his 224 plate appearances.

As a 21-year-old at High A Salem, Will Middlebrooks struck out in 25.1 percent of his 481 plate appearances.

[/QUOTE]

Yes but Middlebrooks has made it, and Coyle has yet to prove himself beyond single A.  Actually he's barely proved himself at single A. 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, Middy has made it to the bigs, but his future here is still in doubt.

32 HRs in 660 PAs looks fanatastic as do the 103 RBI, but the falling BA and fielding concerns handed his job to Bogey.

I'm not overly concerned about the 168 Ks, but if he continues to bat .227 (.271 OBP in 2013) then the Ks do become an issue. The Sox will not play a sub .300 OBP at 3B or 1B for too long.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not saying Middlebrooks is a sure thing to lock down the 3B position for years to come and he has his issues....but he is by far more proven than Coyle.  He has a track record above single A, and despite his flaws 32 HR's and 103 RBI's in 660 PA is still 32 HR's and 103 RBI's, and he's still young.

Middlebrooks also put up better numbers when he got to Portland and Pawtucket and rose to be our #1 ranked prospect.  Now not all #1 ranked prospects are created equal; I remmeber on a recent Soxprospects podcast they talked about where Middlebrooks would rank in our system now if he was a prospect today, and they placed him somewhere in the 4-5 range. 

Meanwhile Coyle is ranked #27th in our system.  I'm not saying Coyle doesn't have similarities, and upside.....because he does.  I just don't think he has given us a lot to be optimistic about the last two years. 

[/QUOTE]

I'm really not that high on Coyle either, but was just pointing out that he still has time to fix that "hole in his swing".

Certainly, I have more faith in Middy, but I have serious doubts about his longterm effctiveness as a hitter. I think his fielding will come back around to where it was last year- pretty darn good.

I still think Bogey and Cecchini represent a better 3B future than Middy, and I'm not sure Middy can hit well enough to be a FT MLB 1Bman, but with Carp and Nava on board, we may go that route next year.

[/QUOTE]

Ok I can agree with all that.  Just because Coyle has a hole in his swing and has things to work on doesn't mean he can't make those adjustments.  With me, it's he's just reached a point to where he has to show me something before he can considered a prospect anymore.  

I think WMB has the tools to round into a plus defender too, better than Cecchini actually.  But Cecchini I think definitely has the potential to bring a better bat....I mean he only led the entire minor leagues in OBP% so even if the power never comes with him he would slide into Boston's lineup and offensive philosophy just fine. 

I think Middy will always be a low walk, high strike out guy but if he can learn to make just a few adjustments and constantly be a 30 HR threat and polish up his D then I'd be fine with him at the hot corner. Nothing wrong with a guy like that in your lineup, especially if you can augment it with high OBP guys like Pedroia and presumably Bogaerts and Cecchini. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[/QUOTE]

Ok I can agree with all that.  Just because Coyle has a hole in his swing and has things to work on doesn't mean he can't make those adjustments.  With me, it's he's just reached a point to where he has to show me something before he can considered a prospect anymore.  

I think WMB has the tools to round into a plus defender too, better than Cecchini actually.  But Cecchini I think definitely has the potential to bring a better bat....I mean he only led the entire minor leagues in OBP% so even if the power never comes with him he would slide into Boston's lineup and offensive philosophy just fine. 

I think Middy will always be a low walk, high strike out guy but if he can learn to make just a few adjustments and constantly be a 30 HR threat and polish up his D then I'd be fine with him at the hot corner. Nothing wrong with a guy like that in your lineup, especially if you can augment it with high OBP guys like Pedroia and presumably Bogaerts and Cecchini. 

I'm a big OBP guy, so I might have a hard time ever warming up to Middy, but if he can hit 30 Hrs with 100+ RBIs every 650 PAs and get his OBP to over .310, I could care less about the K rate. (Assuming his fielding improves or he is moved to 1B)

As for Coyle, I'd probably rate him below soxprospects.com's #27, but he is only 21 and guys lower than him have made an impact before.

There are better prospects to toot horns over; that's for sure, but I mentioned those at the A level as a response to the earlier post.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

What happens if Coyle turns it on this year? That might create a log jam in Portland for AB's

Perhaps Betts could move back to SS, he has the tools and the arm for the position. Everyone talks about the infield of the.  Might be an opening there for him there in 2015/2016, assuming Bogaerts stays at SS for a few years. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Here's a list of our players 25 or under or still listed as prospects on soxprospects.com by position:

C: 25 Lava, 27 D Butler, 23 Vazquez, 21 Swihart, 19 Denny

1B: 24 Middlebrooks, 22 M Almanzar, 18 Longhi, 23 T Shaw

2B: 21 Betts, 18 W Rijo, 21 Coyle

SS: 21 Bogey, 23 Marrero, 19 T-W Lin25 Holt

3B: 22 Cecchini, 17 R Devers

OF: 23 JBJ, 19 Margot, 24 Brentz, 25 Hassan, 21 H Ramos, 21 de la Cruz,

SP: 21 Owens, 25 Doubront, 24 Ranaudo, 23 Webster, 23 Barnes, 19 T Ball, 21 L Diaz, 22 B Johnson, 19 Stankiewicz, 19 Callahan, 20 T Buttrey, 20 Kukuk, 21 Mercedes, S Gomez, 22 P Light, 19 D McGrath, 21 M Smith, 21 C Littrell, 29 Wright

RP: 24 Britton, 24 de la Rosa, 24 Workman, 27 A Wilson, 27 C Martin, 25 Huntzinger

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

What happens if Coyle turns it on this year? That might create a log jam in Portland for AB's

Perhaps Betts could move back to SS, he has the tools and the arm for the position. Everyone talks about the infield of the.  Might be an opening there for him there in 2015/2016, assuming Bogaerts stays at SS for a few years. 

[/QUOTE]

Betts, Coyle, and Rijo are blocked by Pedey's long contract. Unless they switch positions, they may end up being traded.

I know we looked stacked at 3B, but if Bogey stays at SS, and Middy moves to 1B, maybe one could compete with Cecchini for the 3B job. I'm not sure if any could play OF.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Betts, Coyle, and Rijo are blocked by Pedey's long contract. Unless they switch positions, they may end up being traded.

I know we looked stacked at 3B, but if Bogey stays at SS, and Middy moves to 1B, maybe one could compete with Cecchini for the 3B job. I'm not sure if any could play OF.

[/QUOTE]

Betts has good athleticism and speed, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities he could make a move to centerfield.  Think Donnie Sadler......but let's hope he doesnt go bust like him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Another look at the 2014 40 man Roster and Rule 5 Possibilities:

1) Ortiz

2) Lester

3) Pedroia

4) Buccholz (60 Day DL)

5) Doubront

6) Tazawa

7) Lackey

8) Kalish (60 Day DL)

9) Morales

10) Miller (60 Day DL)

11) Lavarnway

12) Middlebrooks

13) Britton

14) Bailey (60 Day DL)

15) Nava

16) Breslow

17) Ross

18) Webster

19) de la Rosa

20) Wilson (60 Day DL)

21) Wright

22) Butler

23) Vazquez

24) Hassan

25) Gomes

26) Victorino

27) Uehara

28) Dempster

29) Holt

30) Carp

31) Bradley

32) Snyder

33) Workman

34) Thornton (club option)

35) Villareal

36) Peavy

37) Bogaerts

38) Berry

39) Castellanos

Blue= May be traded or DFA'd to make room for those needing rule 5 protection.

Minor League Free Agents to be, unless added to the 40 Man roster in November:

Alfredo Aceves, Ronald Bermudez, Anthony Carter, Miguel Celestino, Ryan Dent, Jonathan Diaz, Marco Duarte, Vladimir Frias, Charlie Haeger, Mark Hamilton, Justin Henry, Brock Huntzinger, Bobby Lanigan, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Matt Maloney, Jack McGeary, Eric Niesen, Gerardo Olivares, Rafael Perez, Manny Rivera, Alberto Rosario, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Matt Spring, Drew Sutton, Tony Thomas

Rule 5 Eligible (must be added to the 40 man roster by Nov 20):

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

I'd say de la Cruz and Almanzar may not get drafted Rule 5, but the following must be protected or lost:

1) Cecchini

2) Ranaudo

3) L Diaz

4) Brentz

If we sign 4 free agents: OF, SS/3B, 1B and RP somethings got to give. 4 free agents plus 4 rule 5 protected roster moves makes about 8 that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

See the players in blue to determine who must go to make room, unless we pull off a 2 or 3 for 1 deal or two somewhere.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

[QUOTE]

Another look at the 2014 40 man Roster and Rule 5 Possibilities:

1) Ortiz

2) Lester

3) Pedroia

4) Buccholz (60 Day DL)

5) Doubront

6) Tazawa

7) Lackey

8) Kalish (60 Day DL)

9) Morales

10) Miller (60 Day DL)

11) Lavarnway

12) Middlebrooks

13) Britton

14) Bailey (60 Day DL)

15) Nava

16) Breslow

17) Ross

18) Webster

19) de la Rosa

20) Wilson (60 Day DL)

21) Wright

22) Butler

23) Vazquez

24) Hassan

25) Gomes

26) Victorino

27) Uehara

28) Dempster

29) Holt

30) Carp

31) Bradley

32) Snyder

33) Workman

34) Thornton (club option)

35) Villareal

36) Peavy

37) Bogaerts

38) Berry

39) Castellanos

Blue= May be traded or DFA'd to make room for those needing rule 5 protection.

Minor League Free Agents to be, unless added to the 40 Man roster in November:

Alfredo Aceves, Ronald Bermudez, Anthony Carter, Miguel Celestino, Ryan Dent, Jonathan Diaz, Marco Duarte, Vladimir Frias, Charlie Haeger, Mark Hamilton, Justin Henry, Brock Huntzinger, Bobby Lanigan, Will Latimer, Mitch Maier, Matt Maloney, Jack McGeary, Eric Niesen, Gerardo Olivares, Rafael Perez, Manny Rivera, Alberto Rosario, Ryan Rowland-Smith, Matt Spring, Drew Sutton, Tony Thomas

Rule 5 Eligible (must be added to the 40 man roster by Nov 20):

Mario Alcantara, Michael Almanzar, Chris Balcom-Miller, Carson Blair, Bryce Brentz, Chris Carpenter, Garin Cecchini, Keith Couch, William Cuevas, Keury De La Cruz, Luis Diaz, Leonel Escobar, Derrik Gibson, Dreily Guerrero, Jayson Hernandez, Chris Hernandez, Peter Hissey, Aaron King, Aaron Kurcz, Juan Carlos Linares, Heiker Meneses, Boss Moanaroa, Yunior Ortega, Oscar Perez, Mathew Price, Anthony Ranaudo, Nate Reed, David Renfroe, Pete Ruiz, Felix Sanchez, Kyle Stroup, Francisco Taveras, Raynel Velette, Jose Vinicio, Kolbrin Vitek, Shannon Wilkerson, Madison Younginer

I'd say de la Cruz and Almanzar may not get drafted Rule 5, but the following must be protected or lost:

1) Cecchini

2) Ranaudo

3) L Diaz

4) Brentz

If we sign 4 free agents: OF, SS/3B, 1B and RP somethings got to give. 4 free agents plus 4 rule 5 protected roster moves makes about 8 that need to be added to the 40 man roster.

See the players in blue to determine who must go to make room, unless we pull off a 2 or 3 for 1 deal or two somewhere.

[/QUOTE]

The only person I would refute on that list would be Luis Diaz.  Perhaps he would be drafted, but I think he would be returned if that was the case.  But I won't complain if they add him, I'm very intrigued to see what he can do this year.

He does represent the problem we can have with international players.  Even with the extra year of control they come into the system so young that teams get faced with the prospect (no pun intended) of losing these kids to the rule 5 a year or two earlier than the kids they draft out of the June draft. Perhaps even more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In that 10 year span, there is no better team (IF they win this week)......you can argue all you want (by picking out the few negatives whilst ingoring the big picture) but it won't matter......

Being the best team over a 10 year span would be great, and it's a major accomplishment.  But it's not the same thing as being a Dynasty.  You'd be better off leaving the D-word out of the discussion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I hope the Red Sox have better luck with top Baseball America prospects than the Seattle Mariners have.

In 2010, Baseball America's preseason Top 100 prospect list had catcher Jesus Montero at No. 4, secondbaseman Dustin Ackley at No. 11 and firstbaseman Justin Smoak at No. 13.

Three years later those three hitters combined for only about 0.5 WAR* as teammates on a 2013 Seattle team that lost 91 games. In contrast, Seattle righthander Felix Hernandez posted a WAR of 6.0 this season.

The current Seattle roster has these 10 players, age 26 or younger, who have been ranked among BA's preseason Top 100 prospects (with each player's highest ranking):

Jesus Montero (3rd 2011)
    Dustin Ackley (11th 2010)
    Justin Smoak (13th 2010)
    Mike Zunino (17th 2013)
    Taijuan Walker (18th 2013)
    Danny Hultzen (21st 2012)
    Michael Saunders (30th 2010))
    James Paxton (52nd 2012)
    Nick Franklin (53rd 2011)
    Carlos Triunfel (62nd 2008)

It is interesting that 25-year-old Kyle Seager and 24-year-old Brad Miller -- the 2013 WAR leaders among Seattle's position players and arguably the club's most promising young hitters -- were never ranked on a BA Top 100 prospect list.

Of course, 27-year-old Felix Hernandez was BA's second-ranked prospect in 2005.

Just for points of reference, the 2013 WAR for the top 15 prospects on Baseball America's 2010 preseason list:

1. Jason Heyward 3.4
    2. Stephen Strasburg 3.2
    3. Giancarlo Stanton 2.3
    4. Jesus Montero -0.4
    5. Brian Matusz 1.0
    6. Desmond Jennings 3.2
    7. Buster Posey 4.8
    8. Pedro Alvarez 3.1
    9. Neftali Feliz 0.1
    10. Carlos Santana 3.6
    11. Dustin Ackley 0.5
    12. Alcides Escobar 1.1
    13. Justin Smoak 0.4
    14. Madison Bumgarner 3.7
    15. Domonic Brown 1.6

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I hope the Red Sox have better luck with top Baseball America prospects than the Seattle Mariners have.

In 2010, Baseball America's preseason Top 100 prospect list had catcher Jesus Montero at No. 4, secondbaseman Dustin Ackley at No. 11 and firstbaseman Justin Smoak at No. 13.

Three years later those three hitters combined for only 0.4 WAR* as teammates on a 2013 Seattle team that lost 91 games. In contrast, Seattle righthander Felix Hernandez posted a WAR of 6.0 this season.

The current Seattle roster has these 10 players, age 26 or younger, who have been ranked among BA's preseason Top 100 prospects (with each player's highest ranking):

Jesus Montero (3rd 2011)
    Dustin Ackley (11th 2010)
    Justin Smoak (13th 2010)
    Mike Zunino (17th 2013)
    Taijuan Walker (18th 2013)
    Danny Hultzen (21st 2012)
    Michael Saunders (30th 2010))
    James Paxton (52nd 2012)
    Nick Franklin (53rd 2011)
    Carlos Triunfel (62nd 2008)

It is interesting that 25-year-old Kyle Seager and 24-year-old Brad Miller -- the 2013 WAR leaders among Seattle's position players and arguably the club's most promising young hitters -- were never ranked on a BA Top 100 prospect list.

Of course, 27-year-old Felix Hernandez was BA's second-ranked prospect in 2005.

Just for points of reference, the 2013 WAR for the top 15 prospects on Baseball America's 2010 preseason list:

1. Jason Heyward 3.4
    2. Stephen Strasburg 3.2
    3. Giancarlo Stanton 2.3
    4. Jesus Montero -0.4
    5. Brian Matusz 1.0
    6. Desmond Jennings 3.2
    7. Buster Posey 4.8
    8. Pedro Alvarez 3.1
    9. Neftali Feliz 0.1
    10. Carlos Santana 3.6
    11. Dustin Ackley 0.5
    12. Alcides Escobar 1.1
    13. Justin Smoak 0.4
    14. Madison Bumgarner 3.7
    15. Domonic Brown 1.6

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs

[/QUOTE]

There will always be misses on anyone's list, and maybe Seattle's park has something to do with lower WAR numbers, but there are also many examples of getting it right on these lists.

I'd love to see them seperate their lists into ML ready prospects, mid-level prospects, and far away prospects (A level)... maybe by age or farm level or both.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1. Jason Heyward 3.4
    2. Stephen Strasburg 3.2
    3. Giancarlo Stanton 2.3
    4. Jesus Montero -0.4
    5. Brian Matusz 1.0
    6. Desmond Jennings 3.2
    7. Buster Posey 4.8
    8. Pedro Alvarez 3.1
    9. Neftali Feliz 0.1
    10. Carlos Santana 3.6

7 out of 10 is a pretty good rate.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I argue that Middy has "Made it" after this year Hugh. He hasnt solidified anything in Boston yeat. Just ask Bogey whos playing out of position in favor of WMB.

Not to say Coyle cant improve, but he has a lot of work to do. Maybe the injuries had something to do with it. Hopefully a 2014 breakout season for him. Hes a good ball player for sure.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I wont get into a specific players, because my detailed knowledge of the minors at that level pales in comparison to some of the Posters here, but I think a nice simple mathematical way to look at how Bright the Future is for the Sox(at least according to this ranking) is to add together 2 numbers, one The Ranking in the BB America piece(Sox being 1) and two, the teams ranking by Record in 2013(where 2 teams tied, I used Run Differential to break the tie) the Sox again being 1....add those 2 numbers and it takes into account, not only what your Major league team is currently capable of, but what you have on the Horizon. Teams who sold their soul and their system to do better in 2013, presumably would have a lower prospect ranking, and teams who have held on to their draftees or acquired them by giving away ML talent might have done worse at the ML level this year...the bigger the difference between teams of the combined #, the larger the challenge it would be for teams to catch up....without at least wisely using free agency...The list in Order with the combined number, in Parenthesis is : BOSTON(2), STL(10), ATL, TEX (14), KC (17), PITT(19), SD(22), TB(24), Ariz(25), LAD(27) Oak(29), Cleve(30), NYY, TOR, CHC (31), HOU(32), NYM, MINN (34), DET WSH (35) CIN (36), SF SEA (38), COL (40), PHIL (41), BALT (42), LAA (44), MIA (50), MIL (51), CHW (52)

Sections
Shortcuts