Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today.

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today.:
    In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : actually, there's NO EXCUSE for you. and i guarantee you that the CLASH also hated the RAYGUN.
    Posted by theYAZZER

Well, first of all, I quoted Reagan because I thought the quote was funny. As you can see (I would hope, anyway), he misspoke. Kind of like Quayle with "what a waste it is to blow one's mind," etc.
    Second of all ... hells bells, how did this turn into a political thread?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today.

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today.:
    In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : Well, first of all, I quoted Reagan because I thought the quote was funny. As you can see (I would hope, anyway), he misspoke. Kind of like Quayle with "what a waste it is to blow one's mind," etc. Second of all ... hells bells, how did this turn into a political thread?
    Posted by LloydDobler

somebody mentioned RAYGUN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Reagan was a figurehead.

It is pretty much common knowledge that the man acted his way through his presidency. He was a marvelous speaker, which propelled him to a sort of hero status. He didn't really do anything to make the world a better place. The Russians were shooting themselves in the foot and China was becoming a third world country due to overpoulation, terrorists were confined to the Middle East. Energy prices were higher, yes, but not like today's energy prices...certainly not crippling to industry.

It is also pretty much common knowledge that the man was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Like Kennedy , the legend is bigger than the man. he didn't do anything to destroy the planet, like start a war, he wasn't faced with the major, major problems of 2011...the old saying, better to be lucky than good, Reagan was lucky he didn't have today's problems, a man in the early stages of Alzheimer's could have caused some real damage , but I think maybe somehow Ed Meese would have been at the controls, he was probably making most of the decisions anyway, along with Casper Weinberger.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : somebody mentioned RAYGUN.
    Posted by theYAZZER

Yeah, me ... I was quoting his funny comment, "Facts are stupid things." (He meant stubborn, obviously).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from )>TheBabe<(. Show )>TheBabe<('s posts

Reagan was a figurehead. It is pretty much common knowledge that the man acted his way through his presidency. He was a marvelous speaker, which propelled him to a sort of hero status. He didn't really do anything to make the world a better place. The Russians were shooting themselves in the foot and China was becoming a third world country due to overpoulation, terrorists were confined to the Middle East. Energy prices were higher, yes, but not like today's energy prices...certainly not crippling to industry. It is also pretty much common knowledge that the man was in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease. Like Kennedy , the legend is bigger than the man. he didn't do anything to destroy the planet, like start a war, he wasn't faced with the major, major problems of 2011...the old saying, better to be lucky than good, Reagan was lucky he didn't have today's problems, a man in the early stages of Alzheimer's could have caused some real damage , but I think maybe somehow Ed Meese would have been at the controls, he was probably making most of the decisions anyway, along with Casper Weinberger.

Posted by ZILLAGOD

BS... gas at $1 then is equivilent to about $3.30-3.50 which is in line with what gas costs here today. 

If you don't consider inflation at 13.5% to be a major problem then I don't know what to tell you.

And most presidents are really figureheads and rely on their staff to make decisions.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : Reagan happened to be the greatest president in the last 50 years. Even many on the left attest to that. You are misinformed.
    Posted by Alibiike

fiction
    absolute fiction...and revisionism.
    reagan was a dunce and a puppet (the latter like all presidents)
    i wont go into facts about the effects of his terms inoffice, this is the wrong place.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

hey, bleau cheese, this is a sports posting board not political

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : BS... gas at $1 then is equivilent to about $3.30-3.50 which is in line with what gas costs here today.  If you don't consider inflation at 13.5% to be a major problem then I don't know what to tell you. And most presidents are really figureheads and rely on their staff to make decisions.
    Posted by ) />TheBabe<(

How was the country doing under Bill Clinton? Was he better than Reagan?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Reagan was a figurehead.

All politicians are figure heads.

Reagan never had his proposed budget requests approved by Tip. Obama let Pelosi and Reid do their own budget. Clinton did not get his 1994 forward budget requests approved by Congress.

Obama has all of sudden asked for compromise, since Pelosi was deposed by democracy. I suggest compromise should be to give him a Pelosi no vote of confidence.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ><. Show ><'s posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. :   How was the country doing under Bill Clinton? Was he better than Reagan?

Posted by TexWrecks

clinton is a big reason we are in the mess we are in today.

google glass-steagall act.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Sigh ...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : LOL....inflation was at 13.5% when he became president. He instituted a contractionary monetary policy to reign in inflation and it fell to 3.2% by 1983. He also dealt with the S&L crisis. Stable gas prices? 1980 was the first time in history that gas went above $1 a gallon. He also cut federal spending from 4% under carter to 2.5%. Prior to the Reagan administration, the United States economy experienced a decade of rising unemployment and inflation, known as stagflation.  By 1988 Reagan had the unemployment rate down to 5.5% from 7.1% when he entered office. Try at least being somewhat truthful when you post zilla.
    Posted by <)TheBabe( />

Zillagod I bet very few people treated the Soviets as que sera sera until after 1986... don't discredit Reagan's efforts to end that silly Cold War... it was real in many ways.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

And to ad, I a teenager in 1987 predicted the collapse of the USSR in my lifetime.... I stand on my very life I never heard anyone predict that in 1987 or 1988, or 1989.... Not politicians, not historians, nobody.... just BurritoT.

I will go further, while the rest of the world sleeps, and state now that China someday will collpase under its own weight. I do not know when, but it will happen.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexWrecks. Show TexWrecks's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : clinton is a big reason we are in the mess we are in today. google glass-steagall act.
    Posted by /><

The republican party is a HUGE contributor to why we are in the mess we're in today. There's no question about it. I never believed ALL the crap that Bush got from 2001 to 2008- he wasn't THAT bad. BUT- some of his policies- ie. tax cuts- have helped land us in this fiscal nightmare. You can't fight two wars and have these tax rates- it's just a fantasy. The tea-party are possibly the worst party to enter Washington in a long time and they've already done their damage. I suspect they'll do a little more.

I used to be a republican. They've shifted so far to the right in the last 15 years I can't be counted amongst them now. They're a joke, they're a parody of themselves. It's sad.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

We should go back to the old Whig Party, can't be any worse than today's 2-party system of deceit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ><. Show ><'s posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : The republican party is a HUGE contributor to why we are in the mess we're in today. There's no question about it. I never believed ALL the crap that Bush got from 2001 to 2008- he wasn't THAT bad. BUT- some of his policies- ie. tax cuts- have helped land us in this fiscal nightmare. You can't fight two wars and have these tax rates- it's just a fantasy. The tea-party are possibly the worst party to enter Washington in a long time and they've already done their damage. I suspect they'll do a little more. I used to be a republican. They've shifted so far to the right in the last 15 years I can't be counted amongst them now. They're a joke, they're a parody of themselves. It's sad.

Posted by TexWrecks

I'm at the point where I hate both parties. I just hate the bleeding heart liberals a little more.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Go Whigs!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from theYAZZER. Show theYAZZER's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball is all about history. Enjoy the fact that you witnessed history being made today. : The republican party is a HUGE contributor to why we are in the mess we're in today. There's no question about it. I never believed ALL the crap that Bush got from 2001 to 2008- he wasn't THAT bad. BUT- some of his policies- ie. tax cuts- have helped land us in this fiscal nightmare. You can't fight two wars and have these tax rates- it's just a fantasy. The tea-party are possibly the worst party to enter Washington in a long time and they've already done their damage. I suspect they'll do a little more. I used to be a republican. They've shifted so far to the right in the last 15 years I can't be counted amongst them now. They're a joke, they're a parody of themselves. It's sad.
    Posted by TexWrecks

"bush wasn't that bad."--texwrecks

he was beyond bad; the worst president in american history. a puppet for dick cheney.
    he was to america what jd crawford is to the red sox--a complete bust!

see how i got it back to baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from canetime. Show canetime's posts

I just wish Varitek could catch a ball, hit a ball, or stand up without slumping. I wish Crawberry wasn't Crawbust.  I just wish the reverse pivot could do more than 10 for 42, 2 walks and a .270 OBP from the leadoff position.
    Posted by softylaw

we red sox fans thank you for your imput now go back and root for your yankees!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

China someday will collpase under its own weight. I do not know when, but it will  happen.
    Posted by BurritoT

Don't go out on any limbs, here, Burrito.  You're sounding like Softy now!  :-)

Sooner or later 'Tek and Wake will retire and Ells will have a bad week.  He doesn't know when but it will happen.   

And THEN O'l Softy will be around to say, "I TOLD YOU SO!"   LOL 

Sections
Shortcuts