Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system

The Red Sox after rising to greatness in 2004 have fallen back to being the team they so disapointingly were for so many years.  And this group is the most overpaid and unlikable of them all.  Nothing to say but when will they start breaking it up and cleaning the mess.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system

The NFL is soooooo much better. Football is obviously much more popular than baseball and the NFL is run the way a professional league should be. Baseball players high salaries are ruining the sport, and the players are babies. NFL players can be cut on the spot and lose everything. Baseball players are spoiled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing sy...

In Response to Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system:
    [QUOTE] Need I go on?.. This is INSANE!.. the complaining of players, the injuries, the poor performance .. it has to stop.. somewhere, somehow, this ridiculous pay for zero performance has got to end somewhere and I hope it starts here with the 2011- 2012 Sox.. it is hard to watch.. and as a matter of fact, I for one don't subscribe to the MLB season,nor have I gone to one game. I may watch an ESPN game IF I tivo it.. other than that I am sickened by these overpaid babies...  
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]Great Post......  Your Making all my POINTS !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing sy...

You probably need a mix. 

If I'm going to pay a higher price it's for pitching.

Next Corner OF.

Next Corner infield.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

In Response to Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system:
    [QUOTE] Need I go on?.. This is INSANE!.. the complaining of players, the injuries, the poor performance .. it has to stop.. somewhere, somehow, this ridiculous pay for zero performance has got to end somewhere and I hope it starts here with the 2011- 2012 Sox.. it is hard to watch.. and as a matter of fact, I for one don't subscribe to the MLB season,nor have I gone to one game. I may watch an ESPN game IF I tivo it.. other than that I am sickened by these overpaid babies...  
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]

You're right, and the Red Sox have become the poster child for it all, right?

Even without a salary cap, one would have hoped that teams would be self-limiting -- they wouldn't spend stupidly for free-agent talent.  But no, they still do -- enter Gonzo, CC, (yes, even) Drew), etc.

And what happens?

The 2012 Red Sox happens.  Bloated, sorry, stiff.

PS -- best thing on this team is Pedro Ciriaco, and I feel sorry for him that he's stuck with these guys.  At least until some genius in management trades him and a few others for some new over-paid windbag.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system:
    [QUOTE]You probably need a mix.  If I'm going to pay a higher price it's for pitching. Next Corner OF. Next Corner infield.
    Posted by MadMc44[/QUOTE]

Improving the pitching staff for next season has to be the top priority.  Not sure how this will happen but some of the pitchers have to be traded, preferably Beckett and Lackey.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system:
    [QUOTE]The NFL is soooooo much better. Football is obviously much more popular than baseball and the NFL is run the way a professional league should be. Baseball players high salaries are ruining the sport, and the players are babies. NFL players can be cut on the spot and lose everything. Baseball players are spoiled.
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

Really? The NFL is run sooo much better.

Is that why they have more contract hold outs in any one season than MLB has had in the last 30 years combined?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system:
    [QUOTE]The Red Sox after rising to greatness in 2004 have fallen back to being the team they so disapointingly were for so many years.  And this group is the most overpaid and unlikable of them all.  Nothing to say but when will they start breaking it up and cleaning the mess.
    Posted by concord27[/QUOTE]

Yeah, 2007 was a real downer...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system : Really? The NFL is run sooo much better. Is that why they have more contract hold outs in any one season than MLB has had in the last 30 years combined?
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]

The big difference in the NFL is that players can be cut at anytime and their contracts aren't guaranteed.  You can't do the same in MLB where you have players that are underperforming and are still paid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

I think the salaries and cost of going to games has reached an end.

People are tired of paying huge costs to watch these guys underperform and in many cases, disrespect the game.  Not to the mention the disparity of fan's pay vs. players - the players have lost reality.  Look at Ortiz complaining about only making 15.75 million on a one year gauranteed contract while many of the people who pay his salary are probably struggling every day to keep their $30/hour paycheck comining in.  In what Josh Beckett makes in one start, the average fan has to work 8 years to earn the same money - that's 48 weeks a year, 40 hours a week compared to Beckett who works, on average 3 hours a week, 30 weeks a year. 

It's gone too far.  The league and owners (and players union too) need to get a handle on this and make the necessary corrections before it's too late and the fans do it for them (it will be much harder to bounce back if the fans do it for them).......

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system : The big difference in the NFL is that players can be cut at anytime and their contracts aren't guaranteed.  You can't do the same in MLB where you have players that are underperforming and are still paid. 
    Posted by susan250[/QUOTE]

Exactly, but fans seem to want to ignore the give with the take...

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system : Let's start HERE AND NOW then.. no more games for me.. how about you guys and ladies?
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]

I stopped going to games once Fenway turned into a Carnival and starting charging over $100 for the worst seats in the house (the sur charge due to Ace Tickets since most games worth going to are already sold out).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

Phils Cliff Lee's may be the most overpaid bum in MLB. 2012 salary is $21.5 million, due to rise to $25 million in 2013. Lee's abyssmal record is 2-6. That's $10.750 million per win. what a bargain! Phils waived him, Dodgers claimed him but no deal has been worked out to date. Dodgers balking at the huge sum they'd have to assume of Lee's ridiculous contract. Sox should do whatever they can in the off season to rid themselves of Crawford, Beckett and Lackey. Dick-K is off the books at the end of the 2012 season. 1 non-producer gone, 3 to go.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from concord27. Show concord27's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster Child a failing system : Yeah, 2007 was a real downer...
    Posted by notin[/QUOTE]
    I guess you are right the sky is not falling.  2007 was great and Josh Beckett was  the best player on the team. What does that have to do with the most of horrible of situations now?  It is one thing to see a team failing and building to something better in the future,  not this team.  2007 was five years ago and as you can see with Beckett it was light years ago.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

In response to "Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system": [QUOTE] Need I go on?.. This is INSANE!.. the complaining of players, the injuries, the poor performance .. it has to stop.. somewhere, somehow, this ridiculous pay for zero performance has got to end somewhere and I hope it starts here with the 2011- 2012 Sox.. it is hard to watch.. and as a matter of fact, I for one don't subscribe to the MLB season,nor have I gone to one game. I may watch an ESPN game IF I tivo it.. other than that I am sickened by these overpaid babies...   Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE] You are correct, it is very hard, if not impossible to like this team/organization on many levels. Have not felt this way in 46 years rooting for the Sox. I won't give up on my team , but my sense of excitement is muted. I hope the owners unravel the junk pile of attitudes they call a team.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

sox are just not playing good ball..havent been for a year now....depressing

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Try figuring out how much the Sox are paying CC for each hit this year.  It's apples and oranges to compare pitcher vs hitter but I would bet CC is a disaster too.

[QUOTE]Phils Cliff Lee's may be the most overpaid bum in MLB. 2012 salary is $21.5 million, due to rise to $25 million in 2013. Lee's abyssmal record is 2-6. That's $10.750 million per win. what a bargain! Phils waived him, Dodgers claimed him but no deal has been worked out to date. Dodgers balking at the huge sum they'd have to assume of Lee's ridiculous contract. Sox should do whatever they can in the off season to rid themselves of Crawford, Beckett and Lackey. Dick-K is off the books at the end of the 2012 season. 1 non-producer gone, 3 to go.
    Posted by chiefret[/QUOTE]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiefret. Show chiefret's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Baseball: Overpaid, and Overvalued players, contracts structure killing teams. Boston is the Poster child of a failing system": You are correct, it is very hard, if not impossible to like this team/organization on many levels. Have not felt this way in 46 years rooting for the Sox. I won't give up on my team , but my sense of excitement is muted. I hope the owners unravel the junk pile of attitudes they call a team.
    Posted by LeftyGrove[/QUOTE]
    I've been following the Sox as long as you have and feel the exact same way. Sox, Bruins, Celts and Pats in that order used to be my favorite Boston teams. Now, I only follow and watch the Pats on TV. This edition of the Sox is pathetic, surly, underperforming and unlikable players. The bad teams of yesteryear at least had an identity and colorful players, they were fun to watch. MLB needs to address the outrageous salaries being metted out, a salary cap, $120 million per team and teams need the ability to rid themselves w/o financial punishment of underperforming malcontents like Beckett and Lackey.

Sections
Shortcuts