Baseball Prospectus’s 2012 projections are out, and there are some interesting tidbits regarding the Red Sox:Do you agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Re: Baseball Prospectus’s 2012 projections are out, and there are some interesting tidbits regarding the Red Sox:Do you...

Pitch type in relation to players in the league from 2010 to 2011 cannot be compared. In addition, pitch location was quite fat for Ellsbury because of a healthy Pedroia and the addition of AGon. The test of a great hitter is what AGon did with the hapless Padres. Soon, Ellsbury will likely be playing with a worse offensive lineup than 2009 and 2010, at which time his true ability will be on display.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Re: Baseball Prospectus’s 2012 projections are out, and there are some interesting tidbits regarding the Red Sox:Do you...

In Response to Re: Baseball Prospectus’s 2012 projections are out, and there are some interesting tidbits regarding the Red Sox:Do you agree?:
    [QUOTE]Great look up Tom! Isn't it crazy how people manipulate data to make a point. Relatively insignificant data to make a point. The entire analysis seemed to be flawed to me. And I wonder why anyone would want to throw Ellsbury fastballs. Maybe to try to keep him off base? If I were a pitcher I would have been throwing him fastballs prior to 2011 also. The fear at that time was to keep that guy off base! It seems clear that he will get even fewer going forward but it's not like that percentage is going to drop much more compared to 2011.
    Posted by Boomerangsdotcom[/QUOTE]

The issue is location. Last year he got around on fastballs intended to jam him. He opened his hip and got his wrists into the pitch, with a slight uppercut. Pitchers were trying to keep him from slicing outside pitches into leftfield. He did that enough too.  Now what? He's shown that he can hit both inside and outside fastballs in the strike zone. 
    Maybe he'll see more off-speed stuff this season. That is generally what is done to batters who've had a sudden surge in power. But if he stays back and uses his wrists, he could foil this tactic. Or pitches will miss more often with off-speed stuff, get behind, and then have to come back with the fastball anyway.
    Obviously, the opposition never did figure a way to pitch Ellsbury last season.
    Let's see what other teams try this year. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

AGon added and Pedroia back healthy in 2011 is why "took a year off" had superficial non-career representing averages in 2011. I stated as much, early last year

Debunked!

Pitch type in relation to players in the league from 2010 to 2011 cannot be compared. In addition,

You did see the 2009 % there and you are ignoring it?

pitch location was quite fat for Ellsbury because of a healthy Pedroia and the addition of AGon. Posted by hankwilliamsjr[/QUOTE]

Good, so we both agree you were wrong about pitch type.

As to location, I see very little difference (and pitches taken look similar) between 2009 and 2011.

2009http://pitchfx.texasleaguers.com/batter/453056/?pitchers=A&count=AA&pitches=AA&from=3%2F20%2F2009&to=2%2F26%2F2010

Debunked again!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ells will have Pedey and AGon behind him again. According to mr hanky, that's all he needs to have a huge year...again...right?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from accland. Show accland's posts

The acid test:
    If Baseball Prospectus had the player stats going UP by as much as they have them going down, would you be believing ? Would you be repeating last year's nonsense about the greatest team ever and 110-120 wins?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Your Jed Lowrie "elite SS" was debunked, and so is your cut and paste to street information which shows your fantasy team baseball IQ.

Ellsbury numbers go way down minus AGon and a healthy Pedroia. Whatever GM buys into "Ellsbury had a better year than AGon or Pedroia" will regret it when Ellsbury ends up on another payroll in the very near future. Erstad is but one profile that comes to mind.

It is nice to see that Ellsbury is letting all Ellsbury adoring Red Sox fans know that the colored Carl Crawford will in fact be the only overpaid and overrated prima donna on the long term Red Sox payroll. Now that InEpstein made the ultimate fools contract offer to Crawford, it's nice to know that Ellsbury will be on another payroll in the very near future. And how fitting, Red Sox fans having to accept Crawford when they are infatuated with Ellsbury. The good news is that Crawford is the superior talent. As soon as Ellsbury is gone, Crawford's entire confidence level will change as he inherits the room service position that Ellsbury will soon be leaving.

Red Sox are paying nearly 30 million for two redundant construction parts. Paying for Ellsbury's ticket to FA on another payroll is a waste of time and money. They need to commit to Crawford, as they have no other practical choice, and sell high on Ellsbury's final 2 years. If Cherry follows the InEsptein school of idiocy, he will hold Ellsbury during his peak market value, and then sell him as a distressed asset.

"My agent will let me know on offers" is a total waste of time and money for immediate team value construction and near future teams value construction.

I'm going to have a big laugh, just like when the 1 to 2M market for Wastefield never materialized, I 'm going to have a big laugh when Ellsbury becomes a distressed asset that Red Sox management has to pretend they are not trying to get rid of.