Baseball salaries, escalating ticket prices, etc. I'm tired of it all.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Re: Baseball salaries, escalating ticket prices, etc. I'm tired of it all.

To those that say you can spend your entertainment dollars for better value elsewhere. That is true except it does not consider the buyers wants/ nneeds if I don't like going to other entertainment like movies or plays then there is no value to me. Value is all about the buyers wants not anything else.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I do not want to sound mean, but for those who complain about how much a baseball player (or any entertainer) makes, then why not work your butt off and become one yourself?  

I'm sure each athlete who is now making millions, have paid his/her dues.  

The training that he/she went through, someone like me would not last a week.  

For me, I wanted to make more money.  So I decided to get my MBA.  I barely graduated because the workload was too much for me.  But I made it and now I make more than double what I used to make.  

But the sacrifice I made is nothing compared to these athletes or entertainers.

Again, this goes back to capitalism.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Last comment if the Red Sox won the WS this thread would not exist.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

I agree with you JimfromFlorida.   :)

Which is why all of us are passionate fans.  

I also consider us to be fortunate too.  Not only have the Red Sox won two World Series the past decade, but also the Patriots won three Super Bowls (thanks to the 199th pick, Tom Brady), Celtics in 2008 and the Bruins too.  

I have a friend who is a Cubs fan and he told me that Red Sox fans do not deserve to be upset.   I told him to forgive Steve Bartman.   LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One thing's for sure - ticket prices have gone crazy.  I bought tickets for a Raptors-Lakers game in Toronto - $175 a pop - and they were by no means the best or priciest seats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

One thing's for sure - ticket prices have gone crazy.  I bought tickets for a Raptors-Lakers game in Toronto - $175 a pop - and they were by no means the best or priciest seats.

Damn.  Well, I'm sure you had a nice time!    :)

A bit off-topic, but is it illegal to buy tickets from scalpers?

In 2007, I met up with a scalper outside Fenway Park to see a Red Sox vs. Yankees game.  The guy asked me if I was a cop and I said no.  We did the transaction inside a store where there was more privacy.  

Since then, if I cannot get tickets, then I just go to stubhub.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

In response to Ice-Cream's comment:

I do not want to sound mean, but for those who complain about how much a baseball player (or any entertainer) makes, then why not work your butt off and become one yourself?  

For me, I wanted to make more money.  So I decided to get my MBA.  I barely graduated because the workload was too much for me.  But I made it and now I make more than double what I used to make.  

Ice, 

Your point of view speaks of your ignorance of the reality in which we all live our lives now. There are so many folks who have worked thier butts off as you advise and are now out of work, unemployed for anywhere from a few months to a number of years. Working your tail off use to mean something in this country but to many more it means another day of collecting unemployment or running out of unemployment. 

You and many others miss my pont entirely. If you want to go on supporting a sport that ignores it's fans while it continues to raise prices have fun. I'm out of here.

Hetch 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

That's the same reason why I am not overly sympathetic.  I finished up my undergrad classes when I was late-30s and my grad classes at early-40s, and I wasn't the only geriatric in my class.  It was entirely my fault that I dropped out in the first place, but a little work can overcome a lot of things.

For the athletes, for every 10 that give it their best shot, 1 will make real money.  My cousin gave up a lot of his life traveling around to play hockey in Canada, in the hopes of making it into the NHL.  I spent a lot of those years in the pub watching the hockey games.  Had he ever made it, he should've been allowed to make as much as he reasonably could.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:

uh yeah because if we had just won as typical Americans we would get caught up in the momment and FORGET REALITY!  Man u people stun me

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

JimFromFlorida appears to be a true American.... and yet the country is screwed. Well here you all go..... if we get out presents we forget that our parents charged them to a credit card and have yet to really pay for them.... but according to JIM it is AOK so long as we get our presents.

Nothing to see here, move along

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

The MLB is monopoly that forces salaries down. Player aren't free to sell their wares if they were salaries would be insane.

MLB is a closed shop. That's what makes the salaries what they are.

You really missed the boat here. Do you think that if you didn't have to join the union labor cost would go down? The cost of pensions and healthcare is fractional to the extremely large salaries. Barry Bonds was out of the union and made millions. This isn't a real union it is a country club. You can't freely sell your wares. I can start a new car company and offer better pay and hire all of GMs employees if I want. This was the key principle of how Ford was founded. You need to wait 6 years until you can select your employer. If you happened to be born in Japan you need to a wait a decade to be able to freely sell your wares. You know how the ABA got players by offering more money to college kids than the NBA. The AL did a similar thing as well. You and I cant open a new league and fill it with the best produce because of the antitrust extemption. The PA would love to have 30 more owners throwing money around.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

as a finance my second masters on credit and am closing in on 10k debt as i near 50, I hear you Pete....i have just had to settle for seeing one ballgame a year at most....but remember it is only entertainment....i have great children who are healthy and happy...and im thankful for that...sometimes a lil perspective will get you thru whatever pizzes us off....

im not happy with the direction of the sox the past 5 years but so what, who really is? they play baseball...that is not real work (sorry Ice Cream)....there are people who fall out of the right womb...thats Ok with me....most of us have to struggle to simply pay for the necessities like education, health, and shelter....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Ice, 

Your point of view speaks of your ignorance of the reality in which we all live our lives now. There are so many folks who have worked thier butts off as you advise and are now out of work, unemployed for anywhere from a few months to a number of years. Working your tail off use to mean something in this country but to many more it means another day of collecting unemployment or running out of unemployment. 

You and many others miss my pont entirely. If you want to go on supporting a sport that ignores it's fans while it continues to raise prices have fun. I'm out of here.

Hetch 

How is baseball ignoring the fans?  They pushed to have games on-line, on it's own network, they started interleague play, and they continue to tweak things every year.  BB is > 100 year's old.  there is only so much they can do to improve it.  Plus, everyone seems to have a new ballpark.

IRT to prices, I can only speak to the NYY, but prices don't seem outrageous.  My tickets are upstairs behind HP, for $28 a ticket.  I think they were about $25 about 5-6 years ago.  Tickets down the line are $20, and if you want a Tuesday night game v KC, you can buy them on Stubhub for half that.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Yes!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Owners pay the bills.... the sallys that hit a ball would have nothing without the owners.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to georom4's comment:

as a finance my second masters on credit and am closing in on 10k debt as i near 50, I hear you Pete....i have just had to settle for seeing one ballgame a year at most....but remember it is only entertainment....i have great children who are healthy and happy...and im thankful for that...sometimes a lil perspective will get you thru whatever pizzes us off....

im not happy with the direction of the sox the past 5 years but so what, who really is? they play baseball...that is not real work (sorry Ice Cream)....there are people who fall out of the right womb...thats Ok with me....most of us have to struggle to simply pay for the necessities like education, health, and shelter....

FWIW, I finished by undergrad in my late-30s and my MBA in my early 40s.  And my wife has two undergard and two masters.

And while I have NYY tickets, I'd much rather go to one of my kids games than to go to YS.

IRT perspective, here's mine-

I grew up with very little by way of material goods, so everything I have now, I am happy with.

I was laid off after 20 years with the same company, then again with 10 years, then again after 14 months (I took the position knowing that).  But I got good severance each time, so it covered the time I was out of work.  And when I was out of work, instead of seeing half my kid's games, I saw all of them.  I cleaned the house.  I baked cupcakes that the kids in the local elementary school got once a month as a treat.  Then I laughed at the teachers as they tried to control little kids who just spend half-hour eating carbohydrates, sugar, fat, and caffeine.

A little perspective goes a long way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Softlaw1's comment:

Owners will charge what fans will pay no matter if the player makes $500K or $5M

What owners charge is based on the profit margin. Labor is the primary cost and it is passed directly on to the conusmers to sustain the profit magin.

Not really.  Every company I ever worked for charged whatever they thought they could get away with.  It is what the entire economic cycle depends on.  On the items that anyone could copy, we had to lower our prices.  On the items which required more customization, we could increase our margins by as much as 10%.

IRT to your second sentence, if a team could simply pass along the cost+margin, then why wouldn't TB buy every single big FA and simply increase ticket prices to cover it?

The answer is, they can't.  You start by creating a price list to maximize marginal revenue.  The NYY will charge whatever the market will bare for those seats behind HP.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to georom4's comment:

FWIW, I finished by undergrad in my late-30s and my MBA in my early 40s.  And my wife has two undergard and two masters.

And while I have NYY tickets, I'd much rather go to one of my kids games than to go to YS.

IRT perspective, here's mine-

I grew up with very little by way of material goods, so everything I have now, I am happy with.

I was laid off after 20 years with the same company, then again with 10 years, then again after 14 months (I took the position knowing that).  But I got good severance each time, so it covered the time I was out of work.  And when I was out of work, instead of seeing half my kid's games, I saw all of them.  I cleaned the house.  I baked cupcakes that the kids in the local elementary school got once a month as a treat.  Then I laughed at the teachers as they tried to control little kids who just spend half-hour eating carbohydrates, sugar, fat, and caffeine.

A little perspective goes a long way.

lol  one reason why i teach hs...they are usually sleepy until noon

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

Owners pay the bills.... the sallys that hit a ball would have nothing without the owners.

And the owners would have nothing without players that people will pay to watch.  Kind of a co-dependent situation.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:

And the owners would have nothing without players that people will pay to watch.  Kind of a co-dependent situation.

Same with every job.

In my first job, we hired some independent engineers.  Way back whem a lot got paid $30-45/hr.  One got paid $300/hr because no one could do the same things.

In my second job, we sold some off the shelf products and we paid the guys about $100k.  We had others guys working on more sophisticated systems, where there might've been 6 companies in the world that could do what we did.  Those engineers got paid twice as much.

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

In response to Hetchinspete's comment:

Ice, 

Hetch 

Hello again Hetch  :)

Can you give us more examples why you think baseball is ignoring its fans?  

I understand that the price of parking, tickets, and food to a baseball game have gone up.  But so has tickets to the movies and pretty much everything else.  Baseball (as well as other sports) have special discounts on certain days and they have done a lot for communities (most recent one is Stand Up 2 Cancer).

Back in the late 80s, didn't the Red Sox and Mets played once a year and all the proceeds went to the Jimmy Fund?  

I'm not an American.  But being in this country for several years, I believe that one is rewarded for his/her hard work.  

P.S. Georom4, no need to be sorry.  I respect you and everyone's opinion.   :)

Sections
Shortcuts