Baseball set to add video challenges ...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Baseball set to add video challenges ...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/08/baseball_set_to_add_video_review_challenges.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Baseball set to add video challenges ...

Great. Now Red Sox Yankee games can last 4 hours.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I remember going to Yankee stadium (I think it was in 2005) to see the Blue Jays face the Yankees.  Halladay and Randy Johnson were so good that I think the game was only 2 hours and 10 minutes long.   LOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I know there will be times when I will be very thankful for this,

but on the whole, I am not happy to see this day come.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think the time for replay has come...with the technology available today it is too easy to know when an Ump has blown a call as opposed to years ago. I like the idea of giving the mangers Challenges, but personally I hope it is limited to scoring plays or Game/inning ending plays as reviewable....plays where there could have been continuation would be a nightmare to review

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

There usually isnt a lot of chances for a challenges overall. It will cut down on arguement time and the time for the umpires to leave the field. A simple phone call to NY and within the minute, you have the decision which will not be argued by either side.

The thing that takes time during a game isnt the every so often challenge, but the time between pitches and batters going through their little rituals before each pitch.

After seeing so many blown calls I feel better knowing that these call should now be the right ones made. There will be some tweaks needed, but overall I'm happy to see MLB finally moving forward with this.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

They claim that the challenge process will take up to one minute, 15 seconds.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9570618/mlb-expands-instant-replay-2014-include-manager-video-challenges

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2013/08/baseball_set_to_add_video_review_challenges.html

Replay is runining football. Almost every play gets challenged now causing endless commercial breaks.

Sad to see another sport getting ready to be ruined by replay.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrogdorZing. Show TrogdorZing's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

There usually isnt a lot of chances for a challenges overall. It will cut down on arguement time and the time for the umpires to leave the field. A simple phone call to NY and within the minute, you have the decision which will not be argued by either side.

The thing that takes time during a game isnt the every so often challenge, but the time between pitches and batters going through their little rituals before each pitch.

After seeing so many blown calls I feel better knowing that these call should now be the right ones made. There will be some tweaks needed, but overall I'm happy to see MLB finally moving forward with this.

There will be arguments to the challenge replays.

I hope they follow Hockey's replay method instead of Football's. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to TrogdorZing's comment:

[QUOTE]

Replay is runining football. Almost every play gets challenged now causing endless commercial breaks.

[/QUOTE]
    This might be a slight exaggeration, don't you think?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

I'm going to watch tonight's game and keep track of how many plays would possibly have been challenged.  I bet it's less than 4.

Also, unlike football, most of these plays will not be hard to call on replay.  Fair/foul will be almost instant.  The only hard ones will be tag plays.  3 minutes is nothing compared to managers arguing.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

I think the time for replay has come...with the technology available today it is too easy to know when an Ump has blown a call as opposed to years ago. I like the idea of giving the mangers Challenges, but personally I hope it is limited to scoring plays or Game/inning ending plays as reviewable....plays where there could have been continuation would be a nightmare to review

They should have done this yrs ago.

I hope, given the latest technology, they don't use a stupid flag, but some sort of electronic indicator; after all, we now live in an iphone world, so we can give the manager a button to push like they had in TV game shows decades ago.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to TrogdorZing's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

An exaggeration; NFL Coaches can only challenge 2 plays each.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Frankly, I get a kick out of watching some managers argue with the umps.

I'm in favor of expanded replay, but it'll take some wind out of the sails of managers that want to get tossed, to fire up the team.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

I don't want it at all.

What is this only one challenge and only to the 6th inning? Is that true? Are the 7,8,9 innings not important?

2 challenges from the 7th inning on.

I think it's a good plan.  You don't lose the challenge if you're right.  The people who know best if a call is wrong are the players who are involved in the play.  It won't take long for managers to figure out which of their players they should support on a challenge.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

I heard (but can't provide a link to) that managers aren't going to be allowed on the field when this happens.  I hope that's not true.  This is sterilizing the game a bit too much for my liking.

Baseball is a very emotional game and players and managers sometimes need an opportunity to vent their frustrations.  Ok, not to the extent of beating the snot out of a telephone box, but at least SOME.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to S5's comment:

I heard (but can't provide a link to) that managers aren't going to be allowed on the field when this happens.  I hope that's not true.  This is sterilizing the game a bit too much for my liking.

Baseball is a very emotional game and players and managers sometimes need an opportunity to vent their frustrations.  Ok, not to the extent of beating the snot out of a telephone box, but at least SOME.   

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

I heard the same thing.  Don't really know what to make of it though.  It's kind of hard to rant and rave when you can just challenge the play.  Once challenges are used up, what's to stop the manager from coming out and arguing?  He might get thrown out, but that's often the plan anyway.  Keep in mind there's also a rule against arguing balls and strikes, but that doesn't stop anyone.  Actually it's already in the rulebook that a manager is not allowed to object to judgement calls(see below).

(a) Any umpire’s decision which involves judgment, such as, but not limited to, whether a batted ball is fair or foul, whether a pitch is a strike or a ball, or whether a runner is safe or out, is final. No player, manager, coach or substitute shall object to any such judgment decisions.
    Rule 9.02(a) Comment: Players leaving their position in the field or on base, or managers or coaches leaving the bench or coaches box, to argue on BALLS AND STRIKES will not be permitted. They should be warned if they start for the plate to protest the call. If they continue, they will be ejected from the game.

Sections
Shortcuts