Based on Spring Training stats...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Based on Spring Training stats...

...Darnell McDonald should have been among our best players last season. All those people who were calling for him to be DFA'd after a couple of weeks must not have watched spring training! And all Lars Anderson did was hit close to .350 a year ago...just what does a guy have to do to win a job in Boston?

Then again, Mike Cameron hit .320+ in back-to-back spring trainings (perhaps the best thing about his time here).

On the pitching side, clearly Josh Beckett's 0.95 spring ERA was a sign of great things to come in 2012. Aaron Cook was not far behind with a 1.88. Thanks to the exploits of 2011 spring training stud John Lackey (1.72 ERA), both had a tough act to follow.

Just saying.

Note that this isn't meant to disparage Jackie Bradley or any other player; JBJ is one exciting kid, and I look forward to watching him in Boston, whenever that happens. But the folks who think the world will end if he's not on the roster on April 1st, or who want to anoint him or any other player the next great thing based on a few spring at-bats or innings, could use just a little perspective.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Re: Based on Spring Training stats...

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

...Darnell McDonald should have been among our best players last season. All those people who were calling for him to be DFA'd after a couple of weeks must not have watched spring training! And all Lars Anderson did was hit close to .350 a year ago...just what does a guy have to do to win a job in Boston?

Then again, Mike Cameron hit .320+ in back-to-back spring trainings (perhaps the best thing about his time here).

On the pitching side, clearly Josh Beckett's 0.95 spring ERA was a sign of great things to come in 2012. Aaron Cook was not far behind with a 1.88. Thanks to the exploits of 2011 spring training stud John Lackey (1.72 ERA), both had a tough act to follow.

Just saying.

Note that this isn't meant to disparage Jackie Bradley or any other player; JBJ is one exciting kid, and I look forward to watching him in Boston, whenever that happens. But the folks who think the world will end if he's not on the roster on April 1st, or who want to anoint him or any other player the next great thing based on a few spring at-bats or innings, could use just a little perspective.

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Best 25 man roster includes JB.

Just saying.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Just saying.

This is what I posted the other day that sent Softy into a tizzy about my "agenda" and dislike of Bradley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to 2004Idiot's comment:

Best 25 man roster includes JB.

Just saying.

posted at 3/22/2013 8:42 AM EDT

• 2004Idiot
    • First: 3/12/2013
    • Last: 3/22/2013

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to ArtCarnie's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

spam

and not even funny

actually they're very funny.

The only thing that's funny is that you actually think you might be fooling anyone.

I repeat:
    Art Carney is regarded as one of the finest comic actors in television history.

Comedy is very important in one's life. Art Carney is most remembered for the simple-minded, effusive, and charismatic character of Ed Norton who played a foil to Jackie Gleason's Ralph Kramden on the situation comedy The Honeymooners.

I chose his name for my moniker in dedication to the smile he brought me and millions of fans of his.

You are not Art Carney.

Please do not confuse yourself with this great actor.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2004Idiot. Show 2004Idiot's posts

Five reasons why Jackie Bradley Jr. should be around for Opening Day - WEEI blog Rob Bradford http://bit.ly/11svtOs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Five reasons why Jackie Bradley Jr. should be around for Opening Day - WEEI blog Rob Bradford http://bit.ly/11svtOs

posted at 3/22/2013 8:42 AM EDT

• 2004Idiot
    • First: 3/12/2013
    • Last: 3/22/2013

In response to carnie's comment:

In response to ArtCarnie's comment:

In response to ConanObrien's comment:

spam

and not even funny

actually they're very funny.

The only thing that's funny is that you actually think you might be fooling anyone.

I repeat:
    Art Carney is regarded as one of the finest comic actors in television history.

Comedy is very important in one's life. Art Carney is most remembered for the simple-minded, effusive, and charismatic character of Ed Norton who played a foil to Jackie Gleason's Ralph Kramden on the situation comedy The Honeymooners.

I chose his name for my moniker in dedication to the smile he brought me and millions of fans of his.

You are not Art Carney.

Please do not confuse yourself with this great actor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

None are compelling enough, IMHO, to justify the notion that having him on the roster on April 1st is do-or-die and that keeping him in Pawtucket for a measly 11 days means throwing in the towel for 2013. That's the way some people are talking.

I find #3 particularly eyebrow-raising. "OMG he's so good we need him in Fenway RIGHT NOW, but don't worry, we can still send him down later"? If Bradley comes up to Boston and is tearing it up, the team will never get away with sending him back to Pawtucket; I think demoting him at that point would be worse than keeping him down for a few extra days at the beginning. Would anyone have wanted to send Middlebrooks back to Pawtucket last season after he had come up and raked in the majors?

Don't get me wrong: if JBJ is in the lineup on Opening Day, I'll be as excited as anyone. I'm not even arguing that he shouldn't be in the lineup on Opening Day. (Though, as I said on another thread, if he's really as good as people think he is - so good that having him start the season in the minors would be unforgivable - then the extra year of control should not be dismissed so casually.) I'm really arguing against the notion that he needs to be in the lineup on Opening Day or the team isn't trying to or going to win.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Just saying.

And didn't they all get their chances with the major league club out of ST? according to your theory, JBJ earned a spot more than anyone in the team.  You are not making your case strong enough.. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:

Just saying.

And didn't they all get their chances with the major league club out of ST? according to your theory, JBJ earned a spot more than anyone in the team.  You are not making your case strong enough.. 

Now we are just nit picking what people are saying.

The point, that half of us seem to understand, is that spring training stats are useless.  The game is not played the same, at the same speed, pitchers don't use scouting reports, pitch to different sides of the plate in different counts than they might during the regular season etc etc etc.

point is you have to take these stats with a grain of salt, now with that said Becket was already an established MLB player there was no question on whether or not he was ready to play in the major leagues.  A guy like Bradley spent half of last year in single A and saw his numbers start to dip during the last 1/3 of the year.

Now that may be to pitchers making adjustments to him, him tiring, or likely a bit of both.  But if that is where he left off last season, then keeping in mind the uselessness of ST thoughts one has to serious consider if he is MLB ready.  I don't think anyone argues that he is close.  But ST makes the decision look harder than it is.  He may be a better hitter than Nava or Gomes by the end of this year but he very well may not be for the first couple months of the season.  So why waste a year of control when so much is still unkown. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

And it's not fair to compare JBJ to DMac or Mike Cameron and you kwow it.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

That's true.

They actally played in AAA, before being handed a full time ML job.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

again your missing the point.  The point is ST stats can be very misleading, so what did JBJ do before ST to deem him MLB ready???? start to slip at the plate at the end of the year at DOUBLE A???? who cares if we are comparing/contrasting Bradley to Dmac.

The Compare is relevant because it exemplifies how spring training stats should be viewed. thats it!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

again your missing the point.  The point is ST stats can be very misleading, so what did JBJ do before ST to deem him MLB ready???? start to slip at the plate at the end of the year at DOUBLE A???? who cares if we are comparing/contrasting Bradley to Dmac.

The Compare is relevant because it exemplifies how spring training stats should be viewed. thats it!

exactly, ST is mostly meaningless statwise. If you take JBJs ST out of the equation what has he done to prove he is MLB ready??

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

How ignorant.  did you ever think that you are missing my point?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

exactly, ST is mostly meaningless statwise. If you take JBJs ST out of the equation what has he done to prove he is MLB ready??

The other side of the coin here is that even though ST stats are meaningless that doesn't mean that JBJ ISN'T READY!!!! either.  He may very well be, it's wrong to assume that he hasn't got better over the offseason.

My whole issue is if you take ST stats out of the equation what has JBJ done to show he is MLB ready? the answer to that question is absolutely nothing. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Thing is a lot of fans just don't understand the game on that intricat of a level (and there is nothing wrong with that)  So they see a guy like JBJ playing great in ST and he becomes the shiney new toy that you just have to have right now!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

How ignorant.  did you ever think that you are missing my point?

I'm sorry I thought you were saying that it was unfair to compare JBJ to other players.  I was merely pointing out that it's not about comparing to another player more or less it's about how a spring training performance can be very misleading.  I wouldn't call that ignorant, if you had a different point then I would ask you to make it more clear. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

The other side of the coin here is that even though ST stats are meaningless that doesn't mean that JBJ ISN'T READY!!!! either.  He may very well be, it's wrong to assume that he hasn't got better over the offseason.

My whole issue is if you take ST stats out of the equation what has JBJ done to show he is MLB ready? the answer to that question is absolutely nothing. 

the time in AAA could answer that question though. I mean look at WMB last season, had a great ST and many said he looks like he is on the precipice of being MLB ready but no one knew for sure. 3 short weeks later he had proved he was MLB ready and we were looking for a way to get him in the lineup. The same thing applies for JBJ, good ST but that doesn't prove he is or is not MLB ready. So send him to AAA and see how he does.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

the time in AAA could answer that question though. I mean look at WMB last season, had a great ST and many said he looks like he is on the precipice of being MLB ready but no one knew for sure. 3 short weeks later he had proved he was MLB ready and we were looking for a way to get him in the lineup. The same thing applies for JBJ, good ST but that doesn't prove he is or is not MLB ready. So send him to AAA and see how he does.

what if boston loses the first few weeks with gomes out there?do fans concede that as ok?bradley's defense like iglesias might help them win some games in the first few weeks.that might be the line in the sand between the playoffs and watching them from home.just an opinion.but i am ok with what they decide the sox aren't owned by me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If JBJ helped the Sox win a few games every 2 weeks that would make him about a 15 win player.  Has there ever been a 15 win player?

Also while I expect WMB to make some Allstar games during his career, don't be surprised if he has a sophomore slump for at least half the season. Disclaimer - this is not a prediction, just a hypothetical plausible scenario.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

While I will be ok whatever they decide, I think what Im arguing is the notion that JBJ is going to make that big of a difference in 11 days. He MIGHT win 1 game for us. Also, IF hes as good as some of you are saying, it would be smart business to have him around for another year. Since Boras is his agent, I wouldnt get all caught up in him signing an extension before becoming a FA.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

The relevancy of ST stats is that they're irrelevant in numerical value but relevant in gauging game ready status. They reveal who is ready and who is not. Taking it a step further, those not ready now may need more time to get ready and will eventually be ready and will make the 25 man roster regardless of ST stats. Others, like JBJ, don't have big contracts, no previous experience at the ML level and no leverage to force his way in other than to play well or better than the other OF'ers. Some seem to think he's done that, played his way on to the 25 man roster for opening day. At this point in time, with opening day about a week away , the only question is whether or not this kid can play? Does he have any game, not can he play the game , Nava, Sweeney, Kalish , Karp....these guys play the game. I'm talking about WOW factor. Does this kid have any WOW factor associated with his game? Let's find out. Play him opening day.                     

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero2. Show bosoxhero2's posts

In response to mryazz's comment:

i do agree that spring training is not the end all to prove if a young player can hit, but it does show if that same young player can play defense. there's no question that bradley is ML ready as a glove, even if it's left field.

an outfield of bradley, ells, and shane would be damn awesome defensively. my choice would be to start him on opening day. let's be honest, he does make that line-up more interesting and his youth will be a plus in the dugout.

for the SOX to contend in 2013 it's going to be pitching and defense; and bradley does make the defense a hell of a lot better.

worrying about what happens 7 years from now is utterly ridiculous.

i think so too.defense and pitching wins games.the outfield of shane,ellsbury and bradley would make it tough on the other team to get hits.

Sections
Shortcuts