Batting 4th in the line up today....................

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Batting 4th in the line up today....................

So Bill basically started 30 threads about Papi because he missed 15 games this year?

Poll-How many new threads will Billsoft start if Papi goes 0-4 tonight?

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Funny thing is, I don't think Ortiz's two-year contract was anything other than a cold hard calculation by the FO.  The DH needs to be able to swing the bat and get around the bases, and last year Ortiz's bat--OPS 1.026--was by far the best in the Sox lineup.  It helps he is comfortable in Boston and a fan favorite, but the bat is the thing. 

Ortiz is also not displacing Bradley because one is a DH and the other an outfielder, who is going back to the minor because Nava/Gomes are a much better bet for LF if you think hitting is at all relevant to that position. Bradley can play all three outfield positions well, but that doesn't help because Ellsbury and Victorino in CF and RF are much better options right now. 

The good news is we got to see Iglesias and Bradley have very good springs (winters, too, actually) and can now anticipate their return to Boston and contributing long-term.  I love great defense, not because it saves or wins games--although I entirely agree sometimes it does--but because it's fun to watch.  But the two skills that drive winning and losing are pitching and hitting (or hitting and pitching), and the FO is right to want the best lineup from the players available. 

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Im glad to see him back....hope his heel is healed!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

While Nava and Shane keep the hot bats, I'd go with these line-ups as a template to work with:

Vs RHP   vs LHP

1)       Ellsbury

2) Nava      Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4) Ortiz      Napoli

5) Napoli   Ortiz

6)    Middlebrooks

7) Salty     Gomes

8) Victorino  Ross

9) Drew      Drew

(If Drew heats up, he may move up to #8 vs RHPs, and SV to #9.)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

While Nava and Shane keep the hot bats, I'd go with these line-ups as a template to work with:

Vs RHP   vs LHP

1)       Ellsbury

2) Nava      Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4) Ortiz      Napoli

5) Napoli   Ortiz

6)    Middlebrooks

7) Salty     Gomes

8) Victorino  Ross

9) Drew      Drew

would you do that right now even though SV is hitting both LH and RHP very well? Or would you see if he cools off a bit first?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i would probably leave shane in the #2 spot for the time being. he is doing wonders hitting behind jacoby. Bunting for hit, fake bunting to ensure jacoby is moving an extra base and actually hitting the ball well too. Leave him there until his numbers fall and there is a reason

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Vs RHP   vs LHP

1)       Ellsbury

2) Nava      Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4) Ortiz      Napoli

5) Napoli   Ortiz

6)    Middlebrooks

7) Salty     Gomes

8) Victorino  Ross

9) Drew      Drew

would you do that right now even though SV is hitting both LH and RHP very well? Or would you see if he cools off a bit first?

Nava has been fantastic too, so it's not punishing SV to move him down as much as it is rewarding nava for a job well done. Perhaps he could bat 6th vs RHPs until and if he cools down.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i would probably leave shane in the #2 spot for the time being. he is doing wonders hitting behind jacoby. Bunting for hit, fake bunting to ensure jacoby is moving an extra base and actually hitting the ball well too. Leave him there until his numbers fall and there is a reason

Thats what I was thinking Mef. I wouldnt mess with the top 3 at all. Not right now anyway. Those 3 are setting the table nicely right now. I dont care what SV's career numbers say. Hes hitting everything right now and is a great fit in the #2 spot for the time being...

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Vs RHP   vs LHP

1)       Ellsbury

2) Nava      Victorino

3)       Pedroia

4) Ortiz      Napoli

5) Napoli   Ortiz

6)    Middlebrooks

7) Salty     Gomes

8) Victorino  Ross

9) Drew      Drew

Nava has been fantastic too, so it's not punishing SV to move him down as much as it is rewarding nava for a job well done. Perhaps he could bat 6th vs RHPs until and if he cools down.

So are you saying that you would put SV lower in the line up right now regardless of the great production hes provided so far from the #2 sopt?

Im not disagreeing that Nava has done great so far, but I would argue that as of right now SV has done equally as good from both sides of the plate.

Either way, both players mentioned are doing very well and that is a good "problem" to have.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

So Bill basically started 30 threads about Papi because he missed 15 games this year?

Joe, credit where credit is due.... 2 singles for the BIG GUY.......  Howevaa, Almost killed us in the 8th with a routine Double play with no outs and a guy on 2nd...... NAVA saved our bacon......  J F better get use to the loss of the extra outs that we have enjoyed early in the season because it is quite evident that PAPI is a liability on the bases (just running to 1st)..............

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to NerdatMIT's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Joe, credit where credit is due.... 2 singles for the BIG GUY.......  Howevaa, Almost killed us in the 8th with a routine Double play with no outs and a guy on 2nd...... NAVA saved our bacon......  J F better get use to the loss of the extra outs that we have enjoyed early in the season because it is quite evident that PAPI is a liability on the bases (just running to 1st)..............

Just watched that great eighth inning over twice. Neil Diamond singing Sweet Caroline and the unexpected blast from Nava. It is really something to savor. Forget about Big Papi using a cuss word. Only a troll would bring that up. This was a very memorable day as a Red Sox fan. Pray for all of the victims and honor the first responders, police, FBI, and citizens of the community for bringing the terrorists in. It has been a testing week here in Boston for all of us. I have been glued to local TV and CNN all week. I am exhausted but ecstatic over the pregame at Fenway and their dramatic comeback today.  Stay positive and don't let the trolls here ruin today for you.

Another one in BaseBall denial !!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Well, as allergic to facts as you seem to be, and given that you appear to be too lazy to look up the stats before you voice an opinion, I guess it falls on me to continually correct your mistakes.

IRT DPs, Papi is only #63 in the numbers of DP hit into over the last 4 years.  51 DPs in 531 games, roughly one every 10 games.  Pujols is actually the league leader with 97 over the same time frame, almost twice as much as Papi.  Miguel Cabrera is #2 with 92.

Do you ever intend on using your PC for anything other than a paper weight?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Well, as allergic to facts as you seem to be, and given that you appear to be too lazy to look up the stats before you voice an opinion, I guess it falls on me to continually correct your mistakes.

IRT DPs, Papi is only #63 in the numbers of DP hit into over the last 4 years.  51 DPs in 531 games, roughly one every 10 games.  Pujols is actually the league leader with 97 over the same time frame, almost twice as much as Papi.  Miguel Cabrera is #2 with 92.

Do you ever intend on using your PC for anything other than a paper weight?

STATS ??  You said STATS ?????   Joe, thats HISTORY.......  Papi has not played since last July, he can't RUN  !!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

STATS ??  You said STATS ?????   Joe, thats HISTORY.......  Papi has not played since last July, he can't RUN  !!!!

Yeah, he is not a runner, but you are still wrong about the number of DPs he hits into.  He hits into way less DPs than Miggy, Pujols, Cano, Gonzo. Jeter, Longoria, etc.

And you don't even know why.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Ortiz has always been slow as molasses on the basepaths. A step slower now is not going to matter. I believe he is here to stay, and that you will have egg on your face again in a month when he has proven himself, but I am also reserving my final verdict on his heel until mid May.

Sections
Shortcuts