Batting Average Qualifiers for SS and 3B

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Batting Average Qualifiers for SS and 3B

If you look at BA qualifiers for both 3B and SS,  Stephen Drew would be last at SS by 17 points, and second to last (Mark Reynolds) at 3B.

I'll ask one question. Wouldn't the Red Sox be better off with plugging Brock Holt back out there? Especially with Iggy slumping, the bottom of the order are two complete dead outs. 

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Batting Average Qualifiers for SS and 3B

From another paper today:

Shortstop Stephen Drew went 0-for-3 as well, as his batting average dipped to a .223 mark that is truly representative of the kind of offensive force he has been.

The defense is solid on the left side of the infield, but offensively, it’s a total minus.

It’s why the Bogaerts call-up has to become a front-burner issue for the ballclub.

He is that good, so if he is in the team’s plans, better to get him used to big league pitching sooner than later.

- See more at: http://bostonherald.com/sports/red_sox_mlb/boston_red_sox/2013/07/it_s_still_early_but_sox_must_add_talent#sthash.RuroK2LS.dpuf

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Iggy > Drew. Nuff said.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

BA is always the wrong number to use.  Doesn't factor in walks or extra-base hits.  The whole world knows this by now.

Try OPS and you'll find Drew is in the middle of the pack.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

BA is always the wrong number to use.  Doesn't factor in walks or extra-base hits.  The whole world knows this by now.

Try OPS and you'll find Drew is in the middle of the pack.

Or at least OBP.  Drew is 14th out of 26 shortstops who have 250 or more plate appearances.  TEchnically the title is misleading, with 280 PA, Drew is well short of the 322PA (3.1PA/Game at 104 games) that are required to be a qualified candidate.

OBP is the percentage of times a hitter does not make an out.  Period.

BA is the percentage of times a hitter gets a hit out of the sample of times he does not walk, get hit by a pitch, sacrifice, or, for some reason that will NEVER make sense to me, drive in a runner from third with a flyball...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Batting average?? Come on ADG...Your little compaign against Drew is useless. You really think over the rest of the season that Brock Holt will be better? Thats funny.

Ive already said if theres a move to bring someone else in thats makes sense and makes this team better right now, Im all for it. This certainly isnt it though.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Batting average?? Come on ADG...Your little compaign against Drew is useless. You really think over the rest of the season that Brock Holt will be better? Thats funny.

Ive already said if theres a move to bring someone else in thats makes sense and makes this team better right now, Im all for it. This certainly isnt it though.

I will defend ADG and the campaign against Drew.  He has not been 100% anti-Drew like, say, georom.   After all, it was ADG who refuted georom's claim about how few games Drew typically plays per year, reminding him one of those seasons was Drew's first year as a mid-season call up and two others were cut short by the same injury.

However, ADG is still wrong with his approach here...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to notin's comment:

I will defend ADG and the campaign against Drew.  He has not been 100% anti-Drew like, say, georom.   After all, it was ADG who refuted georom's claim about how few games Drew typically plays per year, reminding him one of those seasons was Drew's first year as a mid-season call up and two others were cut short by the same injury.

I realize that and Im not treating ADG like Geo, hes at least been fair about things. I just think that using BA is a silly way to judge a hitter and is now his 2nd thread on Drew in as many days. Its obvious Drew has underperformed this year. Hes had a couple injuries, but still has hit below his averages. Defense has been solid.

I think Drew will go on one of his hot streaks soon because thats who he is. A streaky hitter. Im just not impressed with using BA as your main source to judge a player. It just looks like your cherry picking certain stats to make him look worse than he is. Its like PG using in game ERA to judge a pitcher. hes obviously not doing as well as hes expected to so he doesnt need help to look worse.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

To be fair, it's not as if Drew is exactly lighting it up in the OBP or slugging categories either...his OPS is under .700 now. I was a big proponent of him being given a chance when a lot of posters wanted him run out of town in April and May, but it's going on August now and, despite some hot streaks, he's been pretty mediocre on the whole. This is a one-year rental, not someone we're committed to long-term, and I'd be much more amenable to moving Drew to some form of part-time role at this juncture. If there are better options, it's getting to be time to explore them. (I don't mean Brock Holt...thinking more like Xander Bogaerts.)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Notin - Thanks. My point is that IF he were a qualifier, he would be in those positions. They have a good defensive infielder in Iglesias. They need to get some production out of the left side of the infield. Assuming they don't get much from Iglesias, they need more from Drew, or his replacement.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:

To be fair, it's not as if Drew is exactly lighting it up in the OBP or slugging categories either...his OPS is under .700 now. I was a big proponent of him being given a chance when a lot of posters wanted him run out of town in April and May, but it's going on August now and, despite some hot streaks, he's been pretty mediocre on the whole. This is a one-year rental, not someone we're committed to long-term, and I'd be much more amenable to moving Drew to some form of part-time role at this juncture. If there are better options, it's getting to be time to explore them. (I don't mean Brock Holt...thinking more like Xander Bogaerts.)

They have stated to platoon him some. Which Im all for. I was one of his defenders too, but also realize that he has had a subpar offensive season. The Sox need to do whats best for the team and with iggy looking more like the old Iggy offensively and Drew not hitting like he should, Im not against a move that makes the left side better. Id give Bogey a shot.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

Drew numbers against righties aren't bad. But dreadful vs lefties. OPS .754 vs .566

I can see a platoon thing happening on the left side, mixing up Iglesias, Holt, Snyder, Drew and either Bogaerts or Middlebrooks when rosters expand.

Sections
Shortcuts