BATTING ORDER: CRAW 2ND, PEDROIA THIRD +PAPI SIXTH?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

BATTING ORDER: CRAW 2ND, PEDROIA THIRD +PAPI SIXTH?

I SAY YOU START WITH CRAW 2ND WITH ELLS LEADING OFF WITH pedroia at 3rd, gonzo at 4th , youk at 5th and papi at 6th. u give craw a month, if he slumps you drop him to 6th or 7th and you move up pedroia back to 2nd and every one up a rung.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: BATTING ORDER: CRAW 2ND, PEDROIA THIRD +PAPI SIXTH?

Why change the already best 1-3? I really don't see a clear reason to shake things up.  And Papi said he just lost 20 lbs. and he won't be happy if he's hitting sixth.   We have the best line-up 1 thru 5 (Ells, Pedey, Agon, Youk, Papi) and #6 spot is where CC belongs.  He can be the 2nd leadoff hitter in the 6th hole since we are going have above average bottom of the order bats after him with Ross (vs. LHP), Sweeney (vs. RHP), Salty..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

In Response to BATTING ORDER: CRAW 2ND, PEDROIA THIRD +PAPI SIXTH?:
    I SAY YOU START WITH CRAW 2ND WITH ELLS LEADING OFF WITH pedroia at 3rd, gonzo at 4th , youk at 5th and papi at 6th. u give craw a month, if he slumps you drop him to 6th or 7th and you move up pedroia back to 2nd and every one up a rung.
    Posted by CAPITALIST_AVENGER

Pedroia, Crawford, Ellsbury, Gonzalez, Youk, Papi, Ross, Salty, Aviles

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Isn't the top of the order where you want players who can get on base? Carl Crawford had an OBP of .289 last year which is flat-out lousy for a guy at the top of the order. I know that he has a ton of speed but it didn't do him any good last year cause he couldn't get on base to use it. This is a guy who struck out 104 times last season and who has horrible plate discipline. Until he starts putting up TBay numbers (if ever!) you've got to slot him deeper in the lineup so he doesn't kill too many rallies.
     I also don't get batting Youk ahead of Papi. Last year Papi put up good stats and Youk stunk (I know he was injured as well).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

What became of your batting order thread from yesterday?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

In Response to Re: BATTING ORDER: CRAW 2ND, PEDROIA THIRD +PAPI SIXTH?:
     Isn't the top of the order where you want players who can get on base? Carl Crawford had an OBP of .289 last year which is flat-out lousy for a guy at the top of the order. I know that he has a ton of speed but it didn't do him any good last year cause he couldn't get on base to use it. This is a guy who struck out 104 times last season and who has horrible plate discipline. Until he starts putting up TBay numbers (if ever!) you've got to slot him deeper in the lineup so he doesn't kill too many rallies.  I also don't get batting Youk ahead of Papi. Last year Papi put up good stats and Youk stunk (I know he was inured as well).
    Posted by trouts

I think you forget last year for Crawford, and put him at the top of the order.  He hit well in Tampa with Longoria behind him.  He hit lousy with guys like Kapler and Zobrist (2010 version) behind him.  

Papi deserves to be higher up in the lineup, but if you swap him with Youk, 4 of your first 5 batters are lefties.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

From Peter Abraham:
     Speaking of lineups, repeat after me: It just doesn't matter. The Red Sox have Ellsbury, Crawford, Dustin Pedroia, Adrian Gonzalez, David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis. That's six All-Stars. Somebody who has never watched a game could pick those names out of a hat and construct a lineup that would score 850 runs.

Studies have shown that lineups are generally overrated. You want your best players to get the most at-bats. But beyond that, it's a waste of time to plot.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CAPITALIST_AVENGER. Show CAPITALIST_AVENGER's posts

From Peter Abraham:  Speaking of lineups, repeat after me: It just doesn't matter. The Red Sox have Ellsbury, Crawford, Dustin Pedroia, Adrian Gonzalez, David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis. That's six All-Stars. Somebody who has never watched a game could pick those names out of a hat and construct a lineup that would score 850 runs. Studies have shown that lineups are generally overrated. You want your best players to get the most at-bats. But beyond that, it's a waste of time to plot.
    Posted by lowelll
    exactly! plus i'm saying give it no more than a month and gauge the progress. if craw starts out 0 for 20 with 12 strikouts clearly he will be dropped. he has a preference for second so all things being equal, u accomadate that. papi and pedy on eei both said emphatically they could care less where they hit. papi will adjust to sixth, same with pedy. he even offered to hit 7th if it will help carl and the team out. his joke was that he would balk at hitting TENTH!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

Can't do it.     Ortiz will sulk and whine saying he's not appreciated and cause disruption on the team.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Ortiz isn't what I would call a great, pure hitter.  So putting him sixth in the lineup accentuates his weaknesses, mitigates his strengths, and decreases the opportunities he'll see to drive in runs overall.

Regardless of where you hit Crawman, you've got to protect Ortiz by batting him immediately before Gonzalez.  He'll see more fastballs early on in the count. 

Based on Crawman's performance last year I'd bat him ninth.  If he can't handle the pressure at that position in April, then he doesn't belong anywhere else in the lineup.  He needs to earn his way back up in the order.

Also, I disagree with Peter Abraham's assessment that lineups, "... are generally overated."  As a whole, perhaps those studies are correct.  But as far as who bats before and after you, it does matter.  Christ, David Ortiz wouldn't have half the career he's had were it not for hitting before Man-Ram.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArtWikle. Show ArtWikle's posts

Pedroia 1st, Ells 2nd Craw 3rd, Gonzalez 4th, Youk 5th, Papi 6th

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Why change the already best 1-3? I really don't see a clear reason to shake things up.  And Papi said he just lost 20 lbs. and he won't be happy if he's hitting sixth.   We have the best line-up 1 thru 5 (Ells, Pedey, Agon, Youk, Papi) and #6 spot is where CC belongs.  He can be the 2nd leadoff hitter in the 6th hole since we are going have above average bottom of the order bats after him with Ross (vs. LHP), Sweeney (vs. RHP), Salty..
    Posted by seannybboi

Youk does not belong in the clean-up spot. He's an on-base guy and would be better in the 5 hole. Papi or AGon would be a better 4th.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Why demote 4 good to great hitters to promote someone with inferior skills?

Vs LHPs, the idea is preposterous.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'd say the author of this thread has it exactly right. Crawford had 1 miserable year jumping from a small market to the sweltering limelight that is the Boston market. He's not the first to have a rough start, nor is he likely to be the last. His talent will win out in the end, and I predict a year far closer to his norm than this aweful abberation year. Hit him 2nd WITHOUT ANY CONDITIONS. If you create undue pressure, you create performance anxiety and risk destroying his confidence. Like a certain passionately hocked T.V. appliance..."just set it and forget it." I think we're all gonna like what we see. He should also master his bunting skills to both bunt for hits on occasion, and to keep defenses from playing back on him. He needs to use all weapons  at his disposal. He's gonna be a very solid, if agreeably overpriced, player for us. I'm very glad we have him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Teak other than stealing bases I have to tell you Crawford is not all that good... 15 homers, 25 doubles, 10 homers.... of course we need those numbers from him in order to win.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Even at his best, CC is not deserving of the 2 slot, especially vs LHPs. He could have a career year in 2013, and he still would not approach pedey's OBP in the 2 slot.

Also, Youk and Papi are not deserving of demotions.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Good point on Ortiz, if he doesn't have a solid hitter following him he will suffer. What to do what to do.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WE SHOULD CHECK WITH TITO, FIRST !!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Crawford should bat ninth.  With Crawford ninth it won't screw up the top of the order vis a vis Ellsbury at leadoff and Pedroia at second.  It will give someone who did horribly last year fewer chances to get out, on average, per game.  It will also enable Crawford to positively affect the order, the second time through, if he does respond favorably to batting ninth.  And Ellsbury is capable enough to know what to do at the plate if he has a base stealer already on base, unlike what Crawford expressed to Rob Bradford or whomever it was.

I recommend few changes, if any, for the lineup over last year:

1. Ellsbury
    2. Pedroia
    3. Ortiz
    4. Gonzalez
    5. Youkilis
    6. Ross/Platoon
    7. Saltalamacchia
    8. Aviles/Iglesias
    9. Crawford

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

I;ll eat my 1906 skimmer if Ellsbury leads off! Ain't gonna happen. BV a lot more innovative than TF was, and he's laying in bed, night, waiting for the Ellsbury-Gonzales combo to ignite.

Not to compare, but the Ruth/Gehrig 3-4 did just fine. The left-right myth does not work like most managers think it does. At least, NOT IN FENWAY! I wouldn't mind seeing Ellsbury-Gonzo-Ortiz come after----well, that's another question. Probably probably Crawford-Pedroia (or vice versa). Not that important.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Many good points above, and so I am compelled to change my position! I will now agree to bat our studly 2nd baseman 2nd where he belongs, and will move Crawford to 6th. As for our friend Carl...I'll make a prediction: He'll hit .280 with 19 hr, 40 doubles and 80 RBI. He'll play very good defense also. When this season is over, Mr. Crawford will be right where he's supposed to be.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

I believe fans will see a different CC this year...one that is closer to the player the Sox thought they were getting.   I don't think he will ever be worth the money his contract is for...but I do think he will erase a lot of bad opinion of him among fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Interesting point, bosoxma.  I completely ignored the Valentine factor. 

If he does want to bat Ellsbury and Gonzalez in tandem, then I'd guess his lineup would be:

1. Crawford
    2. Pedroia
    3. Ortiz
    4. Gonzalez
    5. Ellsbury
    6. Youkilis
    7. Ross/Platoon
    8. Saltalamacchia
    9. Aviles/Iglesias

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Can't do it.     Ortiz will sulk and whine saying he's not appreciated and cause disruption on the team.
    Posted by OnDeckCircle

Why would you want to give CC, a clearly inferior hitter to Papi, an extra 72 plate appearances?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Interesting point, bosoxma.  I completely ignored the Valentine factor.  If he does want to bat Ellsbury and Gonzalez in tandem, then I'd guess his lineup would be: 1. Crawford 2. Pedroia 3. Ortiz 4. Gonzalez 5. Ellsbury 6. Youkilis 7. Ross/Platoon 8. Saltalamacchia 9. Aviles/Iglesias
    Posted by cglassanos

Bobby will never put Ells up right behind AGon. If he does want to put them together, it might look like this:
    (Not my choice)
    1) CC
    2) Pedey
    3) Ells
    4) AGon
    5) Youk
    6) Papi
    7) Salty/Ross
    8) Sween/Shopp
    9) Aviles (Iggy)

Sections
Shortcuts