Batting.777

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Batting.777

Hot Stove final results had me batting .777, 7/9 projections true...

9-9-9 PLAN to Restore RSN

posted at 10/18/2011 11:36 PM EDT

First: 6/25/2009
    Last: 2/17/2012

The First Pillar of my plan is to remove 9 individuals from the organization;
    Theo
    Tito
    Bogar
    Drew
    Ortiz
    Lowrie
    Varitek
    Wakefield
    Papelbon

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: Batting.777

That is great... and dare I say obvious. Still would like to see Ortiz go but in truth if he is 29/90/.275 than we will live through it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777:
    That is great... and dare I say obvious. Still would like to see Ortiz go but in truth if he is 29/90/.275 than we will live through it.
    Posted by BurritoT

Yeah B, and getting Bogar out of the coaches box is a win too.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In response to "Re: Batting.777":
    In Response to Re: Batting.777 :  Yeah B, and getting Bogar out of the coaches box is a win too. Posted by YOUKILLUS20
    I'd count that a technical 8 of 9. Bogar is out of the coaching box where he did a good deal of harm, and may actually do some good in his new role.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In response to "Re: Batting.777": I'd count that a technical 8 of 9. Bogar is out of the coaching box where he did a good deal of harm, and may actually do some good in his new role.
    Posted by TheExaminer

OK, Thanks for the hometown scoring...when Bogar joined the team, I looked up his career homeruns, (and posted that he would wave 'em in, ala Wendell Kim) seems he had 3 inside the park jobs, and that's a lot. I knew that he would be agressive to a fault, because he played that way, this is a guy with 13 career SB's, so not really a speedster. The ST workouts for the 3B coach will be to practice holding up the stop sign. They must realize that as trend in the game, most outfielders now can throw to the plate again, unlike the recent past when OF's where offense minded first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

New 3B coach Jerry Royster with 189 SB's never hit an inside the park HR...he'll be holding the runner, I guarantee it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yes. Count on an extra 2-3 wins this year on the basis of a new 3b coach alone. I can think of at least that many games he may have cost us last year--not the least of which was the 16 inning debacle against LAA.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Yes, everyone will love the new 3B coach if he is very conservative.  Until he holds a couple runners who get stranded at 3b after throws have sailed up the line.

If your 3b coach does not get anyone thrown out at the plate, he is not doing his job....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to "Re: Batting.777":
    Yes, everyone will love the new 3B coach if he is very conservative.  Until he holds a couple runners who get stranded at 3b after throws have sailed up the line. If your 3b coach does not get anyone thrown out at the plate, he is not doing his job.... Posted by notin
    If the 3rd base coach is ever mentioned, discussed or the common fan knows his name, then he's not doing his job...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

Yes, everyone will love the new 3B coach if he is very conservative.  Until he holds a couple runners who get stranded at 3b after throws have sailed up the line. If your 3b coach does not get anyone thrown out at the plate, he is not doing his job....
    Posted by notin
    Agree.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Yes, everyone will love the new 3B coach if he is very conservative.  Until he holds a couple runners who get stranded at 3b after throws have sailed up the line. If your 3b coach does not get anyone thrown out at the plate, he is not doing his job....
    Posted by notin

Why we would anyone of us think otherwise?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to "Re: Batting.777": If the 3rd base coach is ever mentioned, discussed or the common fan knows his name, then he's not doing his job...
    Posted by jasko2248

Hardly.

The 3B coach is a thankless job.  Any and all mention is going to be for notoriety.  Merely sitting back and being conservative would keep him anonymous, but also be costly to the team overall.

Who was the last 3B coach this forum didn't whine about incessantly?  Too many people think they are all bad when what they all are is status quo.

Or, simple question - who was the last good 3B coach for Boston?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777 : Hardly. The 3B coach is a thankless job.  Any and all mention is going to be for notoriety.  Merely sitting back and being conservative would keep him anonymous, but also be costly to the team overall. Who was the last 3B coach this forum didn't whine about incessantly?  Too many people think they are all bad when what they all are is status quo. Or, simple question - who was the last good 3B coach for Boston?
    Posted by notin

Yeah, the 3B coach gets noticed when a guy is thrown out at the plate...but the close play should be forgotten, it's the play when the catcher is standing there with the ball waiting for the runner to show up, that's the one that calls into question his decision...sending Big Papi to get gunned down is questionable...sending Ells is not. In addittion more teams have guys who can throw, so knowing the opposition is critical, I don't think there are too many Johnny Damons out there anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777 :  Yeah, the 3B coach gets noticed when a guy is thrown out at the plate...but the close play should be forgotten, it's the play when the catcher is standing there with the ball waiting for the runner to show up, that's the one that calls into question his decision...sending Big Papi to get gunned down is questionable...sending Ells is not. In addittion more teams have guys who can throw, so knowing the opposition is critical, I don't think there are too many Johnny Damons out there anymore.
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

But the point is, the close play is not forgotten.

Believe it or not, every 3B coach in MLB is far more familiar with the arms of every OF in baseball than any of us. 

I've been posting on this forum for 6 years now, and every year without fail there is a large contingent of fans who feel the 3B coach is no good.  Every year.  Without fail.  And this could not have all started in 2006.

That means either expectations are too high or fans don't get the nature of the job...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777 : But the point is, the close play is not forgotten. Believe it or not, every 3B coach in MLB is far more familiar with the arms of every OF in baseball than any of us.  I've been posting on this forum for 6 years now, and every year without fail there is a large contingent of fans who feel the 3B coach is no good.  Every year.  Without fail.  And this could not have all started in 2006. That means either expectations are too high or fans don't get the nature of the job...
    Posted by notin

...or the 3B coach stinks.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Let's say that the majority of people who post here are smarter than the average fan. (consuming valuable time on a forum, discussing the Sox indicates this), and lets say that the same majority think the 3B coach is wanting. (a safe assumption too). Using the cloud theory of knowledge, the folks pointing this out are correct in their thinking.
      Bogar's personal experience of risk taking, (he had 3 inside the park HR's), transfered to his risk taking in the coach's box. The Sox, with the bombers they have, can afford to let the runner stop at third, leaving a duck out there for the next guy.
     Any 3B coach has more "inside" knowledge than a fan, but that doesn't mean he will make "better" decisions. Until they put a fan at 3B, there is no way to really prove it though. We are stuck with our opinion, made of course after the play is done...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Let's say that the majority of people who post here are smarter than the average fan. (consuming valuable time on a forum, discussing the Sox indicates this), and lets say that the same majority think the 3B coach is wanting. (a safe assumption too). Using the cloud theory of knowledge, the folks pointing this out are correct in their thinking.   Bogar's personal experience of risk taking, (he had 3 inside the park HR's), transfered to his risk taking in the coache's box. The Sox, with the bombers they have, can afford to let the runner stop at third, leaving a duck out there for the next guy.  Any 3B coach has more "inside" knowledge than a fan, but that doesn't mean he will make "better" decisions. Until they put a fan at 3B, there is no way to really prove it though. We are stuck with our opinion, made of course after the play is done...
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

You're kidding, right?  We're obsessives, yes, but intelligence is not a prerequisite.  My account did not require an IQ tst to set it up.  At best, the people who post here are a representative sample of the fanbase.  Sure, we don't have WEEI's "Trade Lester" guy, but we have enough "Trade Beckett" guys to more than make up for it.

So you think inside-the-park HRs translates into a bad 3b coach?   How many did Wendell Kim have?  Or Dale Sveum?  How about Hale or Cubbage?

So who was the last 3b coach you felt did a good job?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777 : You're kidding, right?  We're obsessives, yes, but intelligence is not a prerequisite.  My account did not require an IQ tst to set it up.  At best, the people who post here are a representative sample of the fanbase.  Sure, we don't have WEEI's "Trade Lester" guy, but we have enough "Trade Beckett" guys to more than make up for it. So you think inside-the-park HRs translates into a bad 3b coach?   How many did Wendell Kim have?  Or Dale Sveum?  How about Hale or Cubbage? So who was the last 3b coach you felt did a good job?
    Posted by notin

Notin, you're missing the essence of what I'm saying. Guys like Moon, JoeB, 5Katz, yourself included and many others are just smart guys, and smarter than the average fan too.
     The inside the park jobs by Bogar, indicated to me that he was a risk taker, and I believe it playeed out that way. I was the only one to notice that, and I didn't see it in the Globe or Herald first. So I should get some points for insight.
     Cubbage had one ITP, and Sveum and Hale none to answer your question.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Spending some time talking about the on deck batter and his role in the play at the plate would pay some dividends too.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Bogar waved too many guys to the plate with no outs or one out with good hitters coming up.  His judgment on when to be agressive was poor IMHO.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from YOUKILLUS20. Show YOUKILLUS20's posts

Bogar waved too many guys to the plate with no outs or one out with good hitters coming up.  His judgment on when to be agressive was poor IMHO.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut

Spot on. If he was so good at it, wouldn't they just keep him there?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Posted by Hfxsoxnut

I don't know... I see notin thinks he knows everything there is to know about baseball so I will just follow him.  Innocent

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

To be fair, 7/9 of those didn't have contract beyond 2011.

Only Theo and Lowrie did.

Drew was gone, has he announced his retirement yet? He will.

Wake and Tek no longer had a spot on this team. Tek got an invite, but no chance he actually makes the team.

Pap was likely gone.

Tito/Bogar needed to go.

The only leaves Ortiz, the most miserable millionaire I've seen. Poor guy is working on a one year deal again too...expect to hear about that from the horse's mouth.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Batting.777:
     Hot Stove final results had me batting .777, 7/9 projections true... 9-9-9 PLAN to Restore RSN posted at 10/18/2011 11:36 PM EDT   YOUKILLUS20 Posts: 2558 First: 6/25/2009 Last: 2/17/2012  The First Pillar of my plan is to remove 9 individuals from the organization; Theo Tito Bogar Drew Ortiz Lowrie Varitek Wakefield Papelbon
    Posted by YOUKILLUS20

I think we went a long way towards improving our club moving forward.  This team needed fresh faces that hopefully bring a bit more motivation to the field. 

Are we a better team? 

At this point I'm not sure, but we should have something to prove this season.  The problem is, our competetors have either improved, or at least have as good a chance of making the PS.  Pitching and fewer major injuries are the real key.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from lowelll. Show lowelll's posts

In Response to Re: Batting.777 : Hardly. The 3B coach is a thankless job.  Any and all mention is going to be for notoriety.  Merely sitting back and being conservative would keep him anonymous, but also be costly to the team overall. Who was the last 3B coach this forum didn't whine about incessantly?  Too many people think they are all bad when what they all are is status quo. Or, simple question - who was the last good 3B coach for Boston?
    Posted by notin

Bill-806 said it very well yesterday. Forum members like to pretend that they are the owner, GM, manager, and coaches and it is all done with less background, knowledge, scouting data, experience, computer printouts, and a library of videos. We can also do it from the comfort of our couch and inflate our ego and delusions of grandeur with some false courage in the form of booze. It is a nice hobby and pastime.

Sections
Shortcuts