Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions

In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : I'm basing things off SP because our hitting is pretty much even, both lineups rake, and both 'pens have been shown to be able to do well, or suck.
    Posted by NUSoxFan[/QUOTE]
    The Yankee bullpen has a 2.78 ERA in 165.1 innings this season while the Red Sox bullpen has a 4.26 ERA in 181.2 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=NYY&year=2011

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BOS&year=2011

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : The Yankee bullpen has a 2.78 ERA in 165.1 innings this season while the Red Sox bullpen has a 4.26 ERA in 181.2 innings. http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=NYY&year=2011 http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BOS&year=2011
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]
    My post is base 100% of the games I've watched (Sox vs. Yankees), where the Yankee bullpen has blown leads handed over by starters. Unless I'm wrong and the starters blew it at the very end of their starts?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]lest i forget...one bright spot.... NO ESPN!!!...
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]

Wednesday's game is unfortunately on ESPN.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

I think this whole road trip is big.  I expect a 4-5 road trip, but don't think the Sox will do worse than 3-6.  6-3 is a possibility if things fall right.  For the Yankees, I actually think 1-2.  The Yankees are playing very well right now, the Sox coming off a disappointing 3-3 homestand.  2-1 would be great.  I wouldn't expect a sweep from either team.  Then I can see the Sox going 2-1 or 3-0 in Toronto and 1-2 or 2-1 in Tampa.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1for89. Show 1for89's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : My post is base 100% of the games I've watched (Sox vs. Yankees), where the Yankee bullpen has blown leads handed over by starters. Unless I'm wrong and the starters blew it at the very end of their starts?

Colon is the only reliever to take a loss in this year's games.  He came in to start the third and gave up one run in 4-1/3 innings.  He took the loss because the Yankees came back to tie it while he was in.  Total blown leads by relievers (both teams) = 0

What games were you watching?  Or do you just like to spout out of the wrong orifice?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

My predictions:

-Beckett confounds Tex and Arod, blanks the Yanks.

-Lester struggles in first game, but Sox come back and win late.

-Arod hits a 500 foot HR off Wakefield.  Wakefield does not turn to watch the ball sail out of the stadium.   30 runs later Tito decides it is time to take him out.

-Jetes strikes out a dozen times in the series, but dives into the left field seats chasing a stray hot dog wrapper.

-Posada gets upset at batting 9th, and refuses to eat his vegetables. 

-Girardi sratches his head a hundred times in a post game interview.   Eventually he just gives in and starts picking his nose endlessly, why fight it.

-CC has a long talk with Ortiz after the game, and decides Boston is his next destination.    

-Sox take 2 of 3. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : So CC is "due for a clunker" but beckett isn't? Take off the sawx colored glasses much?
    Posted by --The--Babe---[/QUOTE]

You're right. Beckett can beat Sabathia whether Fat Boy has an off night or not.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from --the--yazzer. Show --the--yazzer's posts

yeah, but wake in the process of giving up those 30 runs, will have eaten a lot of innings. and that's what his job is.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : You're right. Beckett can beat Sabathia whether Fat Boy has an off night or not.
    Posted by niz-58[/QUOTE]

Hey niz old friend. I concur. the way that crawdaddy,papi and Agon are swinging the bats right now even CC the bathtub doesn't give me reason to worry. I think that if lester brings his A game he can outlast freddie. my only ? mark is which TW is gonna show up wed nite. if his knuckler is dancing and he can get to the 5th or 6th with a lead holy hannah.

one thing for sure, NESN and YES are gonna get some great ratings this week.
    sox yanks..........doesn't get any better than that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]The Yankees look tough coming off a 6-3 West Coast road trip. The Red Sox are coming off a 3-3 homestand against two teams with losing records. Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

True - but the Sox are coming off the 3-3 homestand that followed a 5-2 road trip - including taking 2 of 3 from the team with the best record in MLB. So...obviously there is no correlation.

Two wins at Yankee Stadium would be an achievement for the Red Sox.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Or...you could say that two wins would be a disappointment - since the Sox swept three in their last visit to Yankee Playground.

It will be a tough series - should be fun. Either team is capable of taking 2 of 3 or even sweeping. That's WHY it's fun!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from can-you-dig-it. Show can-you-dig-it's posts

How can anyone think the sox will not the sweep?  Don't you remember the sox 8-0 againsst the yankees 2 years.  even with Arods cousin back in the pitcher the sox sweep.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : Hey niz old friend. I concur. the way that crawdaddy,papi and Agon are swinging the bats right now even CC the bathtub doesn't give me reason to worry. I think that if lester brings his A game he can outlast freddie. my only ? mark is which TW is gonna show up wed nite. if his knuckler is dancing and he can get to the 5th or 6th with a lead holy hannah. one thing for sure, NESN and YES are gonna get some great ratings this week. sox yanks..........doesn't get any better than that.
    Posted by Hammah29r2[/QUOTE]

Agreed, Hammmah. Sox hitters have been hitting lefties well in the last month.
    Lester does need to deliver a better game than what he has recently.

As for Wakes game, if the Sox have to win 9-7, so be it. Cool

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

Predicting baseball is almost impossible so I tend to avoid trying to play Nostradamus.  I do, however, enjoy looking at statistical facts which suggest that one team "on paper "should" have an advantage over another.  In that context the following facts are offered for information only:

The Yankees are ranked 1st in the major leagues in the most recent power rankings provided by ESPN.  The Red Sox are ranked 6th.  The Yankees have the largest run differential in baseball at +71.  The Red Sox are +28.  That's a massive difference given the fact that the teams are only separated by one game in the standings.  The only conclusion is that the Yankees have severely underperformed in terms of wins and losses while the Red Sox won/loss record matches their numbers.

The Yankees feature the 4th best complete pitching staff in the AL and the Red Sox are 10th.

The Yankees have by far the most dominant bullpen in the AL and are the only team in the league with an ERA below 3 (2.78).  Opponents are hitting .237 vs Yankee relievers.  The Red Sox rank 11th in the AL as a reliever with an ERA of 4.26 and opponents batting .256 against their bullpen.  Not even in the same ballpark as they say. 

Offensively, the Yankees ranks 1st in runs scored and home runs and the Red Sox have a much higher batter average and more extra base hits.  This is what is referred to as a "push."

Starting pitching is a "mixed bag" for both teams.  It always is.  Garcia and Burnett have been better at home than they have been on the road while Sabathia and I am not suggesting he has not pitched well (3.43 ERA) at home has been better on the road so far this year.  Wakefield is completely unpredictable so I would not even attempt to try to imagine how he will do.  Lester has been outstanding at Yankee Stadium and Beckett has been mediocre (5.59 career ERA at this new ballpark).  The latter is off to his best start and the former is well rested, but has struggled recently with his command and control. 

In conclusion, I guarantee that one of the two teams will win at least 2 games by the time the dust settles on Thursday evening, but anyone's guess as to which one that will be would clearly be as good as mine.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from robert444. Show robert444's posts

Manny times in a series like this winning and losing  comes down to the managers.Here the Sox are by far on the losing end. Just hope the team can win despite this handicap they are facing!They have won quite a few games despite this handicap.Just hope they can a few more times in this series.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : My post is base 100% of the games I've watched (Sox vs. Yankees), where the Yankee bullpen has blown leads handed over by starters. Unless I'm wrong and the starters blew it at the very end of their starts?
    Neither team had a blown save in the six games between the Yankees and the Red Sox this season.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

nice read  WilcyMoore

you covered the HRs which many in  RSN like

to pretend are all about  yankee stadium but

some fans might be a tad surprised to know  that

the 'old' yanks still hold a slight lead in SB's  & sac flies,

with twice as many  sac bunts

and the sox have been intentionally walked twice as many times

not sure what that means

a more rounded nyy line up perhaps

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

It will be a great series.   Bring it on, NY

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

[QUOTE]Predicting baseball is almost impossible so I tend to avoid trying to play Nostradamus.  I do, however, enjoy looking at statistical facts which suggest that one team "on paper "should" have an advantage over another.  In that context the following facts are offered for information only: The Yankees are ranked 1st in the major leagues in the most recent power rankings provided by ESPN.  The Red Sox are ranked 6th.  The Yankees have the largest run differential in baseball at +71.  The Red Sox are +28.  That's a massive difference given the fact that the teams are only separated by one game in the standings.  The only conclusion is that the Yankees have severely underperformed in terms of wins and losses while the Red Sox won/loss record matches their numbers. The Yankees feature the 4th best complete pitching staff in the AL and the Red Sox are 10th. The Yankees have by far the most dominant bullpen in the AL and are the only team in the league with an ERA below 3 (2.78).  Opponents are hitting .237 vs Yankee relievers.  The Red Sox rank 11th in the AL as a reliever with an ERA of 4.26 and opponents batting .256 against their bullpen.  Not even in the same ballpark as they say.  Offensively, the Yankees ranks 1st in runs scored and home runs and the Red Sox have a much higher batter average and more extra base hits.  This is what is referred to as a "push." Starting pitching is a "mixed bag" for both teams.  It always is.  Garcia and Burnett have been better at home than they have been on the road while Sabathia and I am not suggesting he has not pitched well (3.43 ERA) at home has been better on the road so far this year.  Wakefield is completely unpredictable so I would not even attempt to try to imagine how he will do.  Lester has been outstanding at Yankee Stadium and Beckett has been mediocre (5.59 career ERA at this new ballpark).  The latter is off to his best start and the former is well rested, but has struggled recently with his command and control.  In conclusion, I guarantee that one of the two teams will win at least 2 games by the time the dust settles on Thursday evening, but anyone's guess as to which one that will be would clearly be as good as mine.  
    Posted by WilcyMoore[/QUOTE]

That was a lot of evidence to back up NOT making a decision  - lol. But I like your honesty in the end. I, too, feel very strongly - both ways!
    Just hoping it's a fun series to follow  - just good baseball.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

[QUOTE]nice read  WilcyMoore you covered the HRs which many in  RSN like   to pretend are all about  yankee stadium but some fans might be a tad surprised to know  that   the 'old' yanks still hold a slight lead in SB's  & sac flies, with twice as many  sac bunts and the sox have been intentionally walked twice as many times not sure what that means a more rounded nyy line up perhaps
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

True that ... and yet the Yanks lost 5 of 6 to the Sox.   Hard to figure, these stats they don't seem to add up to much.  Except Sox wins   Smile

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : True that ... and yet the Yanks lost 5 of 6 to the Sox.   Hard to figure, these stats they don't seem to add up to much.  Except Sox wins  
    Posted by soxmeister[/QUOTE]

and yet the Yanks lost 5 of 6 to the Sox. Hard to figure

True that ...

LOL soxmeister

I'll tell you what's hard to figure

it's when RSN wants to count april

or pretend it never happened

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hammah29r2. Show Hammah29r2's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Battle for 1st place Sox @ Yankees -Your Predictions : and yet the Yanks lost 5 of 6 to the Sox. Hard to figure True that ... LOL soxmeister I'll tell you what's hard to figure it's when RSN wants to count april or pretend it never happened
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

I beg your pardon zac my friend but I beg to differ. I would just as soon forget completely about april...........2-10.......ouch!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

The real value of looking at and analyzing statistics in baseball is to demonstrate how empty theory and subjective opinions often are relative to facts.  Not that there's anything wrong with the former which are the most common basis of fallacious fan perceptions, commentary and often flawed media perspectives, but objectivity, in my opinion, helps those who choose to be better informed be more knowledgeable.  Stats and even trends tell us next to nothing about which team will win or lose on a given day in baseball more than any other sport.  The fact that the Yankees outscored Oakland 19 to 5 in their ballpark in their 3 recent wins while the Sox pitching staff gave the same team 6 runs and 8 runs in 2 of their wins at home tells us that the Yankees were a considerably more dominant team against the exact same opponent in a more difficult situation (on the road).  Heading into this series both the Yankees and Red Sox feature a number of high profile and talented players.  The Yankees collectively have "performed" better statistically so far this year than their counterparts.  They are a stronger team at this point, but in baseball that means next to nothing from one game and series to the next.  There are countless examples (e.g., Pirates/Phillies) where the improbable becomes the norm.  It does not make sense, but stuff happens.  Guys like Garcia, Colon and Beckett have pitched much better than anyone in their right mind would have thought they would based on their recent "stats" and other obvious factors with respect to the latter two.  Hughes, Jenks, Wheeler, Matsuzaka, Lackey and Posada underperforming should not have come as a big surprise to anyone.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from small-package. Show small-package's posts

[QUOTE]How can anyone think the sox will not the sweep?  Don't you remember the sox 8-0 againsst the yankees 2 years.  even with Arods cousin back in the pitcher the sox sweep.
    Posted by can-you-dig-it[/QUOTE]

Good point! Outside of new york, no one belives cousin mules return doesn't spell foul play.
    Sox will sweep despite this.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yanks take two....if only because the law of averages has to apply to two closely matched teams...plus they are home.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

Yanks 2 out of 3. Why? No Hill. I know,I know we got this new guy Hottovay or something.He's relatively untested, first trip to the Stadium, all this new stuff, tighter strike zone, I think is too much for this kid now. I know he got David DeJesus twice let me see if he can get A-Rod, Jeter , Tex, and Cano once. I think Girardi handles his BP better than TF handles his. I also think we get exposed at SS and they get exposed in RF with NS. Lets see how it plays out.