BC Speaks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

BC Speaks

“I don’t think we can limit ourselves this offseason,” Cherington said. “We’re going to look at a number of alternatives. I wouldn’t rule out signing a sort of rehab-type pitcher. Of course, if we do our jobs well, a high-impact pitcher isn’t necessarily someone who looks like a high-impact pitcher right now.”

In other words, "if we can cherry-pick the stats to make one of the has-beens look high-impact on paper, we've done our job".

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Re: BC Speaks

In Response to BC Speaks:
    [QUOTE]“I don’t think we can limit ourselves this offseason,” Cherington said. “We’re going to look at a number of alternatives. I wouldn’t rule out signing a sort of rehab-type pitcher. Of course, if we do our jobs well, a high-impact pitcher isn’t necessarily someone who looks like a high-impact pitcher right now.” In other words, "if we can cherry-pick the stats to make one of the has-beens look high-impact on paper, we've done our job".
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Completely innacurate re-wording of what he said ike.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to Re: BC Speaks:
    [QUOTE]In Response to BC Speaks : Completely innacurate re-wording of what he said ike.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

That was just my interpretation. Frankly, I think the kid is way out of his league.
    Just my opinion.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC Speaks : That was just my interpretation. Frankly, I think the kid is way out of his league. Just my opinion.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Fair enough Ike.  he is young and stepping into a perilous situation, fraught with traps at every turn.  So, I can certainly see where you are coming from.  But, all I ask, in the interest of keeping minds open, is that you reserve judgement until we can get a clearer picture.  He is one month into his tenure, and, to date, there has been nothing concrete to suggest that he will not be effective.  Only conjecture.  Now, you might think that letting Papelbon go was a mistake. I don't.  And there are many on either side of that choice.  You may think inking Scutaro was a mistake.  I don't.  And many would agree with me.  Now, you might think the search for a manager has taken too long.  I am glad they are not rushing.  I don't know man, of course you might be right.  His lack of experience may kill him and the Sox.  But, he really has much experience, even if not as a GM.  And, bottom line, we just don't know yet.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Alibi we all need to be Ben backers. I would say he's better prepared to be a GM than Theo was. This guy is so familiar with scouting, both in the US and internationally, in addition to drafting players. He has probably seen more player profiles which should bode well in the trade arena.

I am excited about his ability and once he gets this managerial thing over with I think we'll see the real Ben C.

You have probably been around enough management people--most look for good junior exec's that management doesn't  have to worry about them screwing up--someone that's going to make Sr. Management look bad will not last long. I think I read Ben has been with the Sox about 9 years. I've got to believe LL, JH and TW have gotten to know this kid, like him, respect him and have confidence in him.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sday4x4. Show sday4x4's posts

and he isn't as young as you think

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

"....letting Papelbon go..." is a bit of a cavalier statement in my view. [I'm not having a go at you Spaceman, you're making sense as usual here]

Paps left, that's a fact.  Did the Sox want to keep him?  Nobody on this board knows.  Did he want to stay? Nobody on this board knows.  I find it plausible that the Sox decided to (hopefully) take the draft picks rather than sign an aging guy for 4 more years, although I would have signed him.  I think it's the 4 year commitment that cooled off the Sox ardour.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]"....letting Papelbon go..." is a bit of a cavalier statement in my view. [I'm not having a go at you Spaceman, you're making sense as usual here] Paps left, that's a fact.  Did the Sox want to keep him?  Nobody on this board knows.  Did he want to stay? Nobody on this board knows.  I find it plausible that the Sox decided to (hopefully) take the draft picks rather than sign an aging guy for 4 more years, although I would have signed him.  I think it's the 4 year commitment that cooled off the Sox ardour.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I am with you Sonics.  I just know that those that were up in arms about Papelbon'd departure chalk it up as "letting Papelbon go", so I was merely couching the non-move in their terms.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC Speaks : Fair enough Ike.  he is young and stepping into a perilous situation, fraught with traps at every turn.  So, I can certainly see where you are coming from.  But, all I ask, in the interest of keeping minds open, is that you reserve judgement until we can get a clearer picture.  He is one month into his tenure, and, to date, there has been nothing concrete to suggest that he will not be effective.  Only conjecture.  Now, you might think that letting Papelbon go was a mistake. I don't.  And there are many on either side of that choice.  You may think inking Scutaro was a mistake.  I don't.  And many would agree with me.  Now, you might think the search for a manager has taken too long.  I am glad they are not rushing.  I don't know man, of course you might be right.  His lack of experience may kill him and the Sox.  But, he really has much experience, even if not as a GM.  And, bottom line, we just don't know yet.

Good post Spaceman, Theo wasn't exactly a well known or experienced baseball mind when he took over and Ben is coming in with more experience than Theo ever had.  Ben has plenty of help in Lucchino and company and there is absolutely no reason to rush into things.  Scuter and Pap "I agree" were probably good moves and given Paps "Damon like ego" I'm sure it didn't help his cause, not to mention he wasn't worth what the Phils offered in my opinion.  It will be interesting to see if Papi's loyalty remains in Boston and if we can satisfy his needs but either way we either keep our DH, or have more money and picks for our future.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

I do think to some extent the RS let "Papelbon go". I also think that this decision was pretty much made when the RS signed Carl Crawford and extended Adrian Gonzalez.

They weren't going to go anywhere near the Phils offer and that was quite apparent to Papelbon and his agent I believe. There does appear to have been some fatigue with Boston on Papelbon's part as well.

So while there are lots of ways to frame this, I think the RS have been prepared for some time before Cherington ever took over from Epstein to walk from Papelbon after the arbitration years and nothing changed except Bard's September made the decision a bit more risky. But Papelbon's contract with Phil's is pretty risky life of contract too.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

All the griping about moving too slow and it's only November 18. I think Philly actually pulled the trigger too quick IMO. No one else has done much, why are the Sox inept for not having done much yet? Too early to say he's a failure, I agree. In Response to Re: BC Speaks:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: BC Speaks : Fair enough Ike.  he is young and stepping into a perilous situation, fraught with traps at every turn.  So, I can certainly see where you are coming from.  But, all I ask, in the interest of keeping minds open, is that you reserve judgement until we can get a clearer picture.  He is one month into his tenure, and, to date, there has been nothing concrete to suggest that he will not be effective.  Only conjecture.  Now, you might think that letting Papelbon go was a mistake. I don't.  And there are many on either side of that choice.  You may think inking Scutaro was a mistake.  I don't.  And many would agree with me.  Now, you might think the search for a manager has taken too long.  I am glad they are not rushing.  I don't know man, of course you might be right.  His lack of experience may kill him and the Sox.  But, he really has much experience, even if not as a GM.  And, bottom line, we just don't know yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If people think Theo would have signed Paps and spent like a maniac again, they are sorely mistaken.

katz is right, after the signing of CC and the extension of AGon, thre writing was on the wall.

I've been trying to make the point about a limited budget since the CC signing. Most people on my "Papi of Paps" thread thooght both would be back and we'd sign 1 or 2 other big name FAs. It's not happening guys. My "where do we go light" thread was ridiculed by some. Now, it appears a thread should be started asking at what single position of need will we NOT go light.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

who should be held responsible for the contract of Carl Crawford? Who is going to jail? Someone should.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]If people think Theo would have signed Paps and spent like a maniac again, they are sorely mistaken. katz is right, after the signing of CC and the extension of AGon, thre writing was on the wall. I've been trying to make the point about a limited budget since the CC signing. Most people on my "Papi of Paps" thread thooght both would be back and we'd sign 1 or 2 other big name FAs. It's not happening guys. My "where do we go light" thread was ridiculed by some. Now, it appears a thread should be started asking at what single position of need will we NOT go light.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]
    You've come right to the point. 
    The infield is settled. Left and center are settled. Catcher is settled, save perhaps for a veteran backup to replace Varitek.
    That leaves RF and pitching. Odds are that the Sox will allow Kalish and Reddick to compete for the RF job, or, in effect write both of them off and sign either Beltran or Cuddyer, neither of whom will sign to platoon. The FA pitching class is not yummy, or, in a couple of cases, probably demanding of bigger contracts than Boston is likely to offer. Maybe Cherington scratches around hoping to get as lucky as did the Yanks with Garcia and Colon. All of this points to the possibility of a new contract of some kind for Bedard, with fingers crossed that his arm doesn't fall off before July. 
    No question that the CC, AGon, and, yes, Beckett contracts have severely limited Boston's financial maneuverability. ( Leave Lackey aside for the moment. ) One assumes that Gonzalez will give the club its money's worth, but, almost by definition, CC won't even if he gets back to career norms; and Beckett's history suggests that we won't know which Beckett will show up until it does. 
    Of course, there remains the possibility of a Big Trade involving, say, Youk or Ellsbury but probably not Youk until the business with Ortiz is resolved and not Ellsbury unless top-tier pitching comes to Boston. 
    In short, it will not be a big surprise if the Sox come close to standing pat. My hunch is that the club will not spend money on a closer but will give Bard a shot, his late meltdown notwithstanding. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

[QUOTE]"....letting Papelbon go..." is a bit of a cavalier statement in my view. [I'm not having a go at you Spaceman, you're making sense as usual here] Paps left, that's a fact.  Did the Sox want to keep him?  Nobody on this board knows.  Did he want to stay? Nobody on this board knows.  I find it plausible that the Sox decided to (hopefully) take the draft picks rather than sign an aging guy for 4 more years, although I would have signed him.  I think it's the 4 year commitment that cooled off the Sox ardour.
    Posted by SonicsMonksLyresVicars[/QUOTE]

I don't agree they "let him go" or they decided to sign the draft pics. I think he got the offer from Philly, and with the pitching staff they have there, he just went. I've also said before, I believe, since he was the one who defended Francona before they let him go, and must have been tight with him and didn't like how that went down, that's what he wanted to do.

Having said that, it probably didn't help that all the media attention on the collapse was given to pitchers and what they do or do not do during their days off. I'm sure that didn't sit well with him. I have absolutely no idea why the Boston media does not get the fact that their constant negative scrutiny of the team is hurting the team. Sometimes makes me wonder whose side these guys are on.

16. This post has been removed.