Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jete02fann. Show Jete02fann's posts

Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game

Derek Jeter is photographed on the streets of Miami with his girlfriend, Minka Kelly.
    Derek Jeter is photographed on the streets of Miami with his girlfriend, Minka Kelly.

If you were Derek Jeter would you spend All Star break with:

Minka Kelly on the beach
     Sweaty men in a baseball locker room

by Nancy Dillon/New York Daily News

Yankees superstar Derek Jeter apparently chose downtime with some major league beauties over an appearance at the  All-Star Game festivities in Phoenix. The hero hitter was snapped strolling down a  Miami street with his gorgeous girlfriend Minka Kelly on Monday, not far from where the 31-year-old actress is shooting the new  Charlie's Angels" TV series.

The smiling couple had lunch in swanky South Beach along with soap opera stunner Annie Ilonzeh, 27, one of Kelly's "Angels" costars, according to RadarOnline.com.

Jeter said last week that he planned to skip the Midsummer Classic to rest the strained right calf that recently kept him sidelined for nearly three weeks.

"We thought it'd be best not to try to push it, because it's most important to try to be ready for the second half. That's what my focus has to be on," he told reporters.

The decision to skip the game entirely has miffed some baseball officials and players.

One official said Jeter, 37, didn't have to risk injury with game play. The Yankees' captain could have appeared on the field to tip his cap to the fans who voted him onto the All-Star team and then left, the official said.

"Derek Jeter has done everything right during his whole career," the official told the Daily News. "He was wrong on this one."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game

I think he should have been there. The fans wanted to see him and congratulate him on number 3,000. He just got a nice rest on the DL. Surprised he made this decision.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game

He should have attended the All-Star weekend.  Even if he didn't want to play, just so the rest of the country could have celebrated his historic accomplishment.  It really was a shame that he didn't attend. 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game:
    [QUOTE]I think he should have been there. The fans wanted to see him and congratulate him on number 3,000. He just got a nice rest on the DL. Surprised he made this decision.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]

other than the 1 AB

I agree mike, IMO  he could of gave his spot to someone else

but still be announced

but how can RSN / anyone blame him

after reading on this board how he wasn't an AS

I know that you & susan250 did not join that gang

but shame on those others if they knock him for not showing

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game : [QUOTE]I think he should have been there. The fans wanted to see him and congratulate him on number 3,000. He just got a nice rest on the DL. Surprised he made this decision. Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE ] other than the 1 AB I agree mike, IMO  he could of gave his spot to someone else   but still be announced but how can RSN / anyone blame him after reading on this board how he wasn't an AS I know that you & susan250 did not join that gang but shame on those others if they knock him for not showing
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE]

Then we agree entirely Zac. I added and deleted the one at bat. Look at my post in your reply. It's not there

Wink

He should have been there for the fans, especially with the All Star Game coming right on the heels of his accomplishment.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

He should have been there and I am actually surprised by it considering how he protects his image so. Poor choice on his part. But then, Minka is beautiful. And lord knows beautiful women have caused me to make one bad decision after another.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Look at my post in your reply. It's not there

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game:
    [QUOTE]Derek Jeter is photographed on the streets of Miami with his girlfriend, Minka Kelly.  If you were Derek Jeter would you spend All Star break with:    Minka Kelly on the beach   Sweaty men in a baseball locker room     by Nancy Dillon/New York Daily News   Yankees superstar Derek Jeter apparently chose downtime with some major league beauties over an appearance at the   All-Star Game festivities in Phoenix.   The hero hitter was snapped strolling down a   Miami street with his gorgeous girlfriend Minka Kelly on Monday, not far from where the 31-year-old actress is shooting the new  Charlie's Angels " TV series. The smiling couple had lunch in swanky South Beach along with soap opera stunner Annie Ilonzeh , 27, one of Kelly's "Angels" costars, according to RadarOnline.com . Jeter said last week that he planned to skip the Midsummer Classic to rest the strained right calf that recently kept him sidelined for nearly three weeks. "We thought it'd be best not to try to push it, because it's most important to try to be ready for the second half. That's what my focus has to be on," he told reporters. The decision to skip the game entirely has miffed some baseball officials and players. One official said Jeter, 37, didn't have to risk injury with game play. The Yankees' captain could have appeared on the field to tip his cap to the fans who voted him onto the All-Star team and then left, the official said. "Derek Jeter has done everything right during his whole career," the official told the Daily News. "He was wrong on this one."
    Posted by Jete02fann[/QUOTE]

If your girlfriend was Minka and you had Jete's money what would you prefer doing with your only week off during the season?  I would probably choose Minka and a nice vacation.  Jete has been through everything in his career, certain things like the All Star game probably don't mean as much these days.

It's probably good for Jeter and the Yanks, the fans will see him again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game : If your girlfriend was Minka and you had Jete's money what would you prefer doing with your only week off during the season?  I would probably choose Minka and a nice vacation.  Jete has been through everything in his career, certain things like the All Star game probably don't mean as much these days. It's probably good for Jeter and the Yanks, the fans will see him again.
    Posted by craze4sox[/QUOTE]

I don't think the girl has much to do with it

but yeah he's been through a lot this yr

the contract fight

should he lead off

is he an AS

I can see him just being drained   add

just getting off the DL I can see where he is coming from

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

He didn't deserve to go, but the fans bestowed the honor on him, and he stiffed them.  Pretty surprising.

Beckett deserved to go but should have stayed home and nursed his knee.  He wanted to go to the AS game.

Jeter is playing and getting paid based on reputation.  He should have gone.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

These guys are going non-stop from February until October. He's getting up in years and had an opportunity to not only take three days off, but to spend it with his rather attractive girlfriend. I think Jeter also knew the all-star game would turn into a salute to him and wanted no part of it.

In short, I have no problem with his decision.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game : I don't think the girl has much to do with it but yeah he's been through a lot this yr the contract fight should he lead off is he an AS I can see him just being drained   add just getting off the DL I can see where he is coming from

For the first time pinstripee I don't think Jeter deserved to go "like Pede" but then again look at some of the guys who were chosen.  I'm sure the mini vacation was just what Jeter needed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

[QUOTE]He should have been there and I am actually surprised by it considering how he protects his image so. Poor choice on his part. But then, Minka is beautiful. And lord knows beautiful women have caused me to make one bad decision after another.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

wow, jessey, not too arrogant are you?

btw, did a beautiful? woman cause you to become a SKANKEE fan?
    that would come under the heading of BAD DECISION.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

[QUOTE]I'll play devil's advocate. These guys are going non-stop from February until October. He's getting up in years and had an opportunity to not only take three days off, but to spend it with his rather attractive girlfriend. I think Jeter also knew the all-star game would turn into a salute to him and wanted no part of it. In short, I have no problem with his decision.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I think Jeter also knew the all-star game would turn into a salute to him and wanted no part of it.

great point LloydDobler

we can close this thread now

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game : I think Jeter also knew the all-star game would turn into a salute to him and wanted no part of it. great point LloydDobler we can close this thread now

Jeter would have looked good in a Sox uniform :)  Always one of my favorite ballplayers and class act.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Not that I want to defend Derek Jeter, but I think a) he knew he wasnt really an all star this year....b) he said he was exhausted and thats understandable considering the chase fro 3000(ask all the other guys who have done it), c) it is much more important for him to be ready for the second half, d) he got all the congratulations he needed from the fans in Yankeed Stadium....he isnt really a spotlight guy like ARod, e) it is not like it is his 1st or last all star game.....and f) Miami and a girl that looks like Minka Kelly or 3 days being pestered by idiotic reporters asing the same questions and 2 minutes of ovations....he made the right choice. Personally I would have rather seen youk turn down the invite and get some rest rather than show up...he probably needed it more than Jeter.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

No Yazzer - I think I have the perfect blend of arrogance and humility to get by in life. But thanks for asking. And being a Yankee fan is never a bad decision.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game : Then we agree entirely Zac. I added and deleted the one at bat. Look at my post in your reply. It's not there He should have been there for the fans, especially with the All Star Game coming right on the heels of his accomplishment.
    Posted by MikeNagy[/QUOTE]
    While I would have liked Jeter to go I don't think he had to be there for the fans.  The fans he plays in for and in front of are in NY and that is who he celebrated his 3,000th hit with.  I don't think this story is that big of deal, as for did he make the right decision?  Minka Kelly any day of the week, its a no-brainer.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Be honest: Did Jeter make the right call?: picks quality time with girlfriend Minka Kelly in Miami over MLB All-Star Game:
    [QUOTE]Derek Jeter is photographed on the streets of Miami with his girlfriend, Minka Kelly.  If you were Derek Jeter would you spend All Star break with:    Minka Kelly on the beach   Sweaty men in a baseball locker room     by Nancy Dillon/New York Daily News   Yankees superstar Derek Jeter apparently chose downtime with some major league beauties over an appearance at the   All-Star Game festivities in Phoenix.   The hero hitter was snapped strolling down a   Miami street with his gorgeous girlfriend Minka Kelly on Monday, not far from where the 31-year-old actress is shooting the new  Charlie's Angels " TV series. The smiling couple had lunch in swanky South Beach along with soap opera stunner Annie Ilonzeh , 27, one of Kelly's "Angels" costars, according to RadarOnline.com . Jeter said last week that he planned to skip the Midsummer Classic to rest the strained right calf that recently kept him sidelined for nearly three weeks. "We thought it'd be best not to try to push it, because it's most important to try to be ready for the second half. That's what my focus has to be on," he told reporters. The decision to skip the game entirely has miffed some baseball officials and players. One official said Jeter, 37, didn't have to risk injury with game play. The Yankees' captain could have appeared on the field to tip his cap to the fans who voted him onto the All-Star team and then left, the official said. "Derek Jeter has done everything right during his whole career," the official told the Daily News. "He was wrong on this one."
    Posted by Jete02fann[/QUOTE]

The fact that the media is making such a big deal out of this shows just how hard up they are for a story. Why the negative spin? It wouldn't surprise me if part of his decision not to go centered upon the fact that he wasn't deserving this year...and...by sitting it out, he was allowing someone more deserving to go in his stead. 

The advent of interleague play has ruined was used to be a fabulous game to watch. The MLB Allstar game is now about as boring as the Pro-Bowl. Interleague play has destroyed the AL/NL rivalry. It was one of the things that made the WS so special.  

MLB continues to shoot itself in the foot, in pursuit of the almighty dollar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Rivera and Sabathia made the same decision.  Maybe they are protesting the immigration law after all.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Camelwalk. Show Camelwalk's posts

[QUOTE]Rivera and Sabathia made the same decision.  Maybe they are protesting the immigration law after all.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

Bunch of millionaire idealists.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

no it was not the right decision by Derek to blow off the game because he was tired, however it was not the right decision in the first place for him to be voted as an all star, his play the last year and a half does not warrant it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

I once thought he was a class act.....not anymore. He has disrespected the fans who voted him in and should be ashamed of himself.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]These guys are going non-stop from February until October. He's getting up in years and had an opportunity to not only take three days off, but to spend it with his rather attractive girlfriend. I think Jeter also knew the all-star game would turn into a salute to him and wanted no part of it. In short, I have no problem with his decision.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Yeah? I'm sure the players who felt is was an honor to be there feel the same way.