be proud if you were at last nite's game

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

be proud if you were at last nite's game

Booing Beckett while he comes off the mound is a completely classless and thoughtless act. we all know he can be a d ouche but he does give everything he has when he's on the mound. i wonder if things like that will make other players think twice about signing here...like Ellsbury just to name one. Yell

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game

Agree.. It seems wet mound caused him for back spasm.  He was throwing with command before he lost it suddenly. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

oh please...beckett makes tens of millions of dollars and his attitude is ALWAYS f u to the fans everytime his fat blob waddles onto the field....let me shed a tear for the poor, misunderstood self-described "i love beer, white trash redneck"...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

you ever see an injured player get boo'd anywhere else??

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game:
    [QUOTE]you ever see an injured player get boo'd anywhere else??
    Posted by xdrive[/QUOTE]

didnt tomy roma get bood when he was injured last yr???

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Actually the worst fan abuse I've ever seen was when Vikings RB Chuck Foreman's career basically was ended when an idiot fan threw a snowball that almost took out his eye. That was the lowest thing a fan has ever done in my opinion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]oh please...beckett makes tens of millions of dollars and his attitude is ALWAYS f u to the fans everytime his fat blob waddles onto the field....let me shed a tear for the poor, misunderstood self-described "i love beer, white trash redneck"...
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]
    You say that like it's a bad thing.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Dumb, I agree, but fans do that sometimes.  There have been plenty of articles lambasting Beckett for all manner of offenses, including malingering, so it can hardly be a surprise when the fans--those who stuck around despite the steady rainfall which finally ended the game--react badly to Beckett going out.  Heck, maybe they were just booing the fact that he walked the go-ahead run home. 

In fact, I myself got pretty mad watching the game.  Not at the fans, but at Beckett.  In the moment, of course.  Later I read the explanation of what actually happened and calmed down.  Beckett did the right thing in calling for the trainer and Bobby V in immediately taking him out.  Mortensen got that semi-miracle fly out against Fielder with the bases loaded and two outs.  A great ending to what looked like a disaster.   

I live in N. Virginia and don't go to many games at Fenway--a total of two since 1949 when I started reading Sox box scores in the Star&Stripes in Germany.  So, while I do watch almost every game, I am inclined to be tolerant of the fans who go to the ball park, spend megabucks for seats which are less than ideal, and cheer for the club.  Fenway Park is way, way better on TV than it is in person (that is, if you are going there to actually watch the game).

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Posted by xdrive[/QUOTE]

Can you think of a single other player on this team who would get booed after getting injured? I can't. I would have booed Beckett too last night, not because of his injury, but because his stubborn Texas Tough Guy attitude prevented him from making his injury known to the trainer BEFORE he walked in a run and left the bases loaded for Mortensen. That easily could have spelled disaster against the premier pitcher in baseball who, fortunately, was not on his game last night. Add that to his "F/U" attitude to the fans, his unapologetic attitude about what happened last year, and his poor performance for nearly a full year and you can see why the fans have had it up to their ears with this selfish MEFIRST moron. He made his bed; time for him to lie in it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : Can you think of a single other player on this team who would get booed after getting injured? I can't. I would have booed Beckett too last night, not because of his injury, but because his stubborn Texas Tough Guy attitude prevented him from making his injury known to the trainer BEFORE he walked in a run and left the bases loaded for Mortensen. That easily could have spelled disaster against the premier pitcher in baseball who, fortunately, was not on his game last night. Add that to his "F/U" attitude to the fans, his unapologetic attitude about what happened last year, and his poor performance for nearly a full year and you can see why the fans have had it up to their ears with this selfish MEFIRST moron. He made his bed; time for him to lie in it.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

Dont agree with booing any player due to injury, pumpsie. there's no good place for that in any fan base, IMO. Giving the benefit of the doubt to those who did, it wasnt just about the injury, was an accumulation and dates back to last September. Beckett said it wasnt as "severe" as the pull in NY a few years ago. When it didnt get better after a handful of pitches and realized he couldnt throw a strike, he called out the trainer. Had he gone longer I'd tend to agree but think he tried to give it a go make sure he couldnt continue before leaving the game. At this point, the fan base is so against Beckett, nothing he says or does is enough. Cant win either way.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

its not when i am at a bar and want to be entertained....pitching for my team...not so much..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : Dont agree with booing any player due to injury, pumpsie. there's no good place for that in any fan base, IMO. Beckett said it wasnt as "severe" as the pull in NY a few years ago. When it didnt get better after a handful of pitches and realized he couldnt throw a strike, he called out the trainer. Had he gone longer I'd tend to agree but think he tried to give it a go make sure he couldnt continue before leaving the game. At this point, the fan base is so against Beckett, nothing he says or does is enough. Cant win either way.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

No player should be booed because of injury. If thats the reason the fans were booing him then they were wrong. That said, I would have joined them because he should have called the trainer out as soon as he felt pain. Pitchers are granted practice tosses in those situations. After those tosses it would have become apparent that he couldn't continue and he would have left the game BEFORE he put his team in a bind. IMO this is just another example of his revolting stubborness; it is that stubborn attitude that I would have booed him for last night, not the injury itself.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : No player should be booed because of injury. If thats the reason the fans were booing him then they were wrong. That said, I would have joined them because he should have called the trainer out as soon as he felt pain. Pitchers are granted practice tosses in those situations. After those tosses it would have become apparent that he couldn't continue and he would have left the game BEFORE he put his team in a bind. IMO this is just another example of his revolting stubborness; it is that stubborn attitude that I would have booed him for last night, not the injury itself.
    Posted by pumpsie-green[/QUOTE]

You would know more about it medically,pumpsie. He said he felt it "lock up" when it got worse, after 5 pitches, hecalled out the trainer. To me, it says he tried to gut it out, when he realized it wasnt going to get better, he called out the trainer. had he waited longer, I'd agree, but dont think 5 pitches is excessive to see if he could pitch thru it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rightymclefty. Show rightymclefty's posts

Beckett's attitude all year is to give the Sox fans and media the one finger salute.
    For what he's making vs. what he produces, and the ill will he creates, he deserves to be booed.
    He gets a hangnail and goes on the DL.
    I don't think they were booing the injury, as much as letting out their frustrations with Beckett.

BOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

1.  it's not like he took a liner off the skull or had to be carted off.  he simply walked off the mound.  booing is fair game here.
    2.  ellsbury is a Boras client - he will go where the highest $$ is offered.  it has zero bearing on whether boston fans booed an "injured" player when he walked off the field.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : You would know more about it medically,pumpsie. He said he felt it "lock up" when it got worse, after 5 pitches, hecalled out the trainer. To me, it says he tried to gut it out, when he realized it wasnt going to get better, he called out the trainer. had he waited longer, I'd agree, but dont think 5 pitches is excessive to see if he could pitch thru it.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE]

Why not call out the trainer as soon as he felt it lock up? He is allowed practice tosses that do not count, and they would have revealed that he could not continue. He has to think about the team in that situation and do his best not to put them in a bind, even if it makes him appear weak. You just can't do that kind of thing when Verlander is pitching against you. Its not like he isn't familiar with what a back spasm feels like; he has had them before. He knew that it was potentially serious, but again his stubborness got in the way.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

the same people were cheering him in the first inning when he struck out Jackson, then they boo when he walks off a wet mound with a back injury. fair weather idiot fans that follow the crap the media feeds them.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Will Boston be a coveted destination for any player?

For what it's worth, I don't boo because I find booing needlessly disrespectful. A player generally knows when he's not performing well.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

[QUOTE]Will Boston be a coveted destination for any player?
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

I've been wondering the same, hill. Not an easy place to play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: be proud if you were at last nite's game : I've been wondering the same, hill. Not an easy place to play.
    Posted by J-BAY[/QUOTE] yeah, it's cold in Boston...just ask Kimmi...Tongue outWink

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I don't know if I would have booed him or not, were I there.

But let's do remember this isn't a typical case of a guy getting injured in a start.  Beckett is the man who came to camp out of shape after blowing off the rtrainers last season-- and getting out of shape.  And who basically gave fans the virtual finger when they questioned his playing several rounds of golf when he missed a start because of an injury.

Sorry -- for the money he makes and the effort ge puts out between starts-- I've no problem with fans booing him.

I think the booing also was a reaction to the fact that fans thought we'd seen the last of him, then when he didn't get traded, he comes out, pitches well-- like, hey, look, Josh might actually be OK for a while -- then boom, back to normal with the injuries and inconsistencies.

...and the frustration from fans that he always finds a way to disappoint...

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry -- for the money he makes and the effort ge puts out between starts-..
    Posted by Ergoetal[/QUOTE]

And how do you know how much effort he puts out between starts.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

Posted by xdrive[/QUOTE]

Just as bad was the Philly fans cheering when Michael Irvin was hurt and had to be taken off on a stretcher. That was pretty classless.

Sections
Shortcuts