Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston?

I'll give you another name, Bobby Valentine

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston?:
    [QUOTE]I'll give you another name, Bobby Valentine
    Posted by ANONMD08[/QUOTE]Bobby V would not last 3 months in this organization unless they went 81-0. His philosphy runs opposite of the organization. A manager change IMHO does not reflect a move away from SABRmetric principles.

Beane could have had the job before Theo and did not want it. He turned down more money than Oakland has ever been able to pay him. Now that his kids are older, that may have changed. But then again aside from the movie, Bill Beane's reputation isn't anywhere near what it was back in the late fall of 2002.

I don't think LaRussa would like dealing with the Boston media one bit, he gets snippy in St Louis and that place is Happyville, USA in comparison to our mediots.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I agree, katz.

Also, as has been mentioned elsewhere, Beane always benefited from not being in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.  He could compete comfortably in 2002 with the MoneyBall philosophy. 

Now that the Angels and the Rangers are spending freely, though, he is finding it harder to keep up. 

So the AL West is definitely not a level playing field any more for Beane and the A's, IMO

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[QUOTE]I agree, katz. Also, as has been mentioned elsewhere, Beane always benefited from not being in the same division as the Yankees and the Red Sox.  He could compete comfortably in 2002 with the MoneyBall philosophy.  Now that the Angels and the Rangers are spending freely, though, he is finding it harder to keep up.  So the AL West is definitely not a level playing field any more for Beane and the A's, IMO
    Posted by summerof67[/QUOTE]
    The Texas Rangers were "spending freely" in 2002 and the Seattle Mariners and Anaheim Angels weren't far behind:

http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Years/2002/Payroll.asp

The advantage that Billy Beane had in 2002 has largely evaporated because most teams have embraced sabermetric principles (at least to some degree).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston? : The Texas Rangers were "spending freely" in 2002 and the Seattle Mariners and Anaheim Angels weren't far behind: http://www.baseballchronology.com/Baseball/Years/2002/Payroll.asp The advantage that Billy Beane had in 2002 has largely evaporated because most teams have embraced sabermetric principles (at least to some degree).
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Hill55,
    I agree but he still finds guys with value like Willingham and Coco...What he's never been able to replace is the dynamic of having a strout rotation with the Hudon, Zito, Mulder & Lidle in combination with Kieth Foulke and a very stout a middle of the order with the likes of Giambi, Tejeda and Chaves...Each of whom were legit 30 homer-100 rbi guys....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from udontnojack. Show udontnojack's posts

need a respected baseball guy that you surround with great coaches who can teach the fundamentals of hitting,pitching and fielding.plus a solid conditioning and medical staff.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

How about the Sox sign Freidman and Hickey to replace IN-Epstein and Francoma?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

[QUOTE]need a respected baseball guy that you surround with great coaches who can teach the fundamentals of hitting,pitching and fielding.plus a solid conditioning and medical staff.
    Posted by udontnojack[/QUOTE]If you want a fundementals coach try Dave Martinez from Tampa,you want a new manager with a no nosense type of attitude Jim Hickey would be the guy also from the Rays. You want a players manager Tony Pena would be that type of guy,or maybe Ryne Sandberg...I'm sure the Sox will be scouring the available coaching staffs of all MLB teams! All i ask is now that you've rid the Sox of Francoma that you fire Tim Bogar as quickly as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam757. Show jam757's posts

I'd love to see Bobby V here but I don't see how it would happen. Remember when he wore the fake glasses and mustache and snuck back to the dugout after being ejected! F'in classic! From a pure entertainment standpoint it would be incredible!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston? : If you want a fundementals coach try Dave Martinez from Tampa,you want a new manager with a no nosense type of attitude Jim Hickey would be the guy also from the Rays. You want a players manager Tony Pena would be that type of guy,or maybe Ryne Sandberg...I'm sure the Sox will be scouring the available coaching staffs of all MLB teams! All i ask is now that you've rid the Sox of Francoma that you fire Tim Bogar as quickly as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Posted by sportsbozo1[/QUOTE]

I doubt that any of the teams current coaches return...unless Demarlo Hale gets the managers job...the only one that even has a shot is Dave Magadon who is seen as one the top hitting coaches in the game...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Can somebody explain the fascination with Bobby Valentine? Two playoff appearances in 15 seasons as an MLB manager. Four games over .500 or worse nine times. Hell, he was fired twice in Japan!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston? : Hill55, I agree but he still finds guys with value like Willingham and Coco...What he's never been able to replace is the dynamic of having a strout rotation with the Hudon, Zito, Mulder & Lidle in combination with Kieth Foulke and a very stout a middle of the order with the likes of Giambi, Tejeda and Chaves...Each of whom were legit 30 homer-100 rbi guys....
    Posted by Beantowne[/QUOTE]Bingo. Everybody marveled at the guys like Hattenberg but it was all about having a rich class of guys under team control emerge at once (and a healthy dose of steroids for the position players).

Frankly the Rays have done a better job so far of turning over guys under control with the draft picks and other teams prospects they get in trade as the do so.

Beane was part of a book about SABRmetrics changing baseball and urban legend made the book and SABRmetrics about Beane. This movie compounds that. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

How about Tony Pena?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Isn't LaRussa an alcoholic?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't LaRussa an alcoholic?
    Posted by cpjohn1[/QUOTE]

ever heard the Alphabet sound bite?  Classic.

LaRussa is not cut for Boston and I think as others have said doubt he has any interest in leaving St. Louis. 

I hope they have a guy in mind. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beane or LaRussa to Boston? : Bingo. Everybody marveled at the guys like Hattenberg but it was all about having a rich class of guys under team control emerge at once (and a healthy dose of steroids for the position players). Frankly the Rays have done a better job so far of turning over guys under control with the draft picks and other teams prospects they get in trade as the do so. Beane was part of a book about SABRmetrics changing baseball and urban legend made the book and SABRmetrics about Beane. This movie compounds that. 
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

the Rays parlayed years of cellar dwelling into a very deep minor league system and in the perfect storm the new ownership came on board just after the revenue sharing was implemented which has help to fund thier entire minor league program...While they had thier share of misses at the top of the draft they've done an outstanding job in identifying and developing pitching.

What is often lost on many is that it's not just the 1st round where forthe better part of a decade they had the pick of the litter, but every round thereafter they were positioned to take better players than the Sox or Yanks...

Make no mistake about it sans revenue sharing, the Rays are still a cellar dwellar...becasue they'd never would've been able to to sign guys thier top picks to slot numbers and certainly not above...That's an economic reality...They are todays version of the Billy Beane A's, we shall see if they can get over the hump and win a championship...I still have difficulty in seeing them win games with Peralta and Farnsworth getting the ball late in a 1 run game and if anyone pitches to Longoria with an open base they deserve to lose...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

How about Rob Dibble? He would take charge and definately not dice his words.

Beane or LaRussa will not happen.

Heck, I really don't have any great options here, but I know one thing the guy better be one tough hombre and absolutely scald these guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]How about Rob Dibble? He would take charge and definately not dice his words. Beane or LaRussa will not happen. Heck, I really don't have any great options here, but I know one thing the guy better be one tough hombre and absolutely scald these guys.
    Posted by sindarin-erebor[/QUOTE]
    Just making sure ... you are kidding, right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

Francona is going to be impossible to replace.  I am not sure what will happen, but managing in Boston isn't easy and it will be difficult for anyone to have the success that Francona had in the short-time that he was in Boston. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slomag. Show slomag's posts

Francona did a great job with the Sox, but I think his replacement will be very capable, too.  I'd like to see Tony Pena get the job - I would then be much more comfortable letting Varitek walk and going with a Lavarnway / Salty platoon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Tony Pena is interesting.

Sections
Shortcuts