Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,”

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,R...

In Response to Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,”:
    [QUOTE]by Alex Speier/WEEI Red Sox pitcher Josh Beckett acknowledges his velocity has dipped a bit this year, but the 32-year-old said it isn't fair to treat him like he's 49-year-old junkballer Jamie Moyer. “It seems like that’s what it is because every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity. I don’t know. I thought I get paid to get outs,” Beckett said. “I don’t feel like I’m out there throwing eighty-[expletive]-five mph. But it seems like that’s all I get credit for. I’m at 91-93 now instead of 94-96. It’s really, what, three miles an hour?” Beckett's season has been tainted by two disastrous outings and an off-field golfing controversy. But his six other outings were all quality starts (six-plus innings, three or fewer earned runs), ranking him sixth in the American League in percentage of quality starts. Beckett joked about recent criticism of his weight, noting that his body composition only is an issue when he struggles. “Your body fat is down when you’ve got a good ERA. You don’t throw too many cutters when you’ve got a good ERA. It’s amazing,” Beckett said. “If you’ve got a good ERA it’s like all is right. Nobody is looking for a reason why you have a low ERA. But when you have a high ERA, then they are looking for a reason why you have a high ERA.” Beckett's Red Sox contract expires after the 2014 season, and he said he'll need to sit down with his family to discuss his options at that stage. “I think at the end of this contract I’ll probably sit down and just probably come up with the situation that is best for our family and not necessarily me,” Beckett said. “That is what happens when you have a family, you don’t just get to think about you. I got to think about myself for a long time, so I felt like I was blessed to run into my wife when I did later on and everything like that. “I think we will figure it out and at the end of this contract, if it’s best for my family just to go back to Texas, we will do that. If we can -- if something else works best for us, then that’s what we will do.”
    Posted by 2004Idiots[/QUOTE]

How could a Major League Pitcher not think that 3MPH is significant?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,R...

Gotta agree with Beckett.  His first year in Boston his fastball was regularly 97 mph, and opposing hitters loved it.  His ERA that year, 2006, was over 5.01, and he gave up 36 dingers, his most ever. 

At least as important and maybe more important than the speed of the fastball is where it is located and with what movement, to say nothing, especially for a starter, of whether the pitcher mixes in good breaking balls.  This year Beckett has a pretty good changeup to go with the good curve and a fast ball that can still be effective.  Where he gets into big trouble is overusing the fastball (or cutter), especially in the first inning, and not spotting it well.  

I like K's as much as the next fan, but the shortest innings for a starter usually come from getting the hitters to hit a pitcher's pitch and not a hitter's pitch.  

I'm pretty sure the Baltimore starter who made our hitters look stupid last Monday never threw a fastball over 92 mph.  Any good real estate agent can tell you that the principles of pitching are location, location, and location. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The return of the "SMART-ARRRRS-FAT-CAT'$  !!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

If you are a better pitcher at a lower velocity it is not an issue. There are guys who have minamal differences in their pitches and are great others are back home tending the garden.
    There are some who have big differences and are great and some are back home tending the garden,
    No fastball pitcher ever maintained the same velocity as they got older except maybe Nolan Ryan.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,”:
    [QUOTE]   The return of the "SMART-ARRRRS-FAT-CAT'$  !!!!!
    Posted by Bill-806[/QUOTE]

As dad would say: "Son, don't turn your back on that fat cat, and don't worry yourself too much over whether he's comin' at you at 96 or 93 mph, cuz' either way he'll take you down and rip you a new one."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I don't like Beckett but he makes some good points. Results are all that matters. Who cares how you get there?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mchampion. Show Mchampion's posts

Judging by his statements above, in Becketts mind he is already out of Boston when his contract is up.  Not sure if that is good or bad.  Probably for the best as he has been getting abused here for his attitude and work ethic.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

It's probably best for us if the media keeps provoking him.  He pitches better when angry.  To be honest, I really don't care if he pitches 89 or 96, whether he plays golf on his off-days or relaxes by clubbing baby seals.  All I want is for him to pitch well and help the team win.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

i'd prefer he lost that filthy stinkin curve...Tongue out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Nothing wrong with what Beckett said. He's absolutely right. Three mph isn't going to make a difference if he's hitting his spots and mixing up his pitches. He'd be m more effective throwing a 93 mph fastball with a little movement and hitting his spots than throwing 96 mph with no movement and throwing it at the belt over the middle of the plate.

And what he said about the end of the contract is perfectly fine. How many players say they want to come back and don't want to play anywhere else then sign elsewhere.

Even if he's brought a lot of it on himself, he hasn't exactly felt a lot of love here recently. But that could change. If he wins 16-plus game this year and again next year with ERA's under 4.00, maybe even under 3.50, and the Sox make the postseason each year and he pitches well in the postseason, he'll have a lot more support.

And it will also depend on the Sox's needs. I really don't expect him back after his contract expires simply because of his age. But if he pitches well this year and next, and the Sox need the arm and he's not asking to break the bank, who knows?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

It is apparent from Beckett's comments that the Boston media is clearly under his skin at this point. It appears to me that he feels he doesn't get a break from the them and I don't think he is totally wrong. Sadly when the "cats" find a wounded "mouse" they are hard pressed to let it go very quickly. I have often wondered how Lester who had a much lesser 2011, was worse in September 2011, has had an uneven start to 2012 too and by all reports was a participant in "chicken and beer" escapes this same treatment?

And my guess would be that the comments about his next contract (after the 2014 season) was not unsolicited. And in the absence of the question Beckett responded to being quoted it is hard to put any context to comments. But what a shock he might not want to finish his career in Boston...

BTW did anyone note that Beckett is 6th in the AL in quality starts right now?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pschuller. Show pschuller's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,”:
    [QUOTE]It's probably best for us if the media keeps provoking him.  He pitches better when angry.  To be honest, I really don't care if he pitches 89 or 96, whether he plays golf on his off-days or relaxes by clubbing baby seals.  All I want is for him to pitch well and help the team win.  
    Posted by 111SoxFan111[/QUOTE]

This is what I just don't get about Beckett and apologists like you. Yes, Mr. Beckett you get paid to get outs, but when you don't get them, anybody from the fan base to the FO gets to inquire of you whether you are doing the kinds of things that history has proved are most conducive to getting outs (if you need some help on this, #1 is getting into, and staying in top physical condition). You don't do these things, and you don't get outs, you are legitimately questioned (about anything from your attitude and commitment to your conditioning regimen, which I am pretty sure is not optimized by fried chicken, beer, and golf.)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : This is what I just don't get about Beckett and apologists like you. Yes, Mr. Beckett you get paid to get outs, but when you don't get them, anybody from the fan base to the FO gets to inquire of you whether you are doing the kinds of things that history has proved are most conducive to getting outs (if you need some help on this, #1 is getting into, and staying in top physical condition). You don't do these things, and you don't get outs, you are legitimately questioned (about anything from your attitude and commitment to your conditioning regimen, which I am pretty sure is not optimized by fried chicken, beer, and golf.)
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]Why isn't Lester getting even more questions then? In 2011 Lester's WHIP was 1.26 to Beckett's 1.03, his ERA was 3.47 to Beckett's 2.89. In 2012 their WHIPs are amazingly similar (1.30 Lester - 1.28 Beckett). Lester's ERA is better at 3.95 versus Beckett's 4.38 but Lester certainly hasn't been the ace he supposed to be either. And he was a beer and chicken participant too. The physical conditioning thing is a joke too IMHO, plenty of pitcher that are "big" from Sabathia to Curt Schilling...

Beckett has had two really bad starts, aside from those he has been the RS best starter this year. Beckett gets hammered in the market now because of how he is perceived and part of that perception is that he is not apologetic enough IMHO.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : Why isn't Lester getting even more questions then? In 2011 Lester's WHIP was 1.26 to Beckett's 1.03, his ERA was 3.47 to Beckett's 2.89. In 2012 their WHIPs are amazingly similar (1.30 Lester - 1.28 Beckett). Lester's ERA is better at 3.95 versus Beckett's 4.38 but Lester certainly hasn't been the ace he supposed to be either. And he was a beer and chicken participant too. The physical conditioning thing is a joke too IMHO, plenty of pitcher that are "big" from Sabathia to Curt Schilling... Beckett has had two really bad starts, aside from those he has been the RS best starter this year. Beckett gets hammered in the market now because of how he is perceived and part of that perception is that he is not apologetic enough IMHO.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

That part is very true. I'm far from a media basher -- it gets way overblwon --but in this he hands them just enough. There's enough truth in the criticism of him. If he had a more public/media-friendly attitude, he'd be cut some slack. But he can come across as a p rick at times, so it fullspeed ahead with both barrells (to mix metaphors).

He brings some of it on himself -- the golf outing for example was just plain stupid -- because of his stubborness. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : 
    This is what I just don't get about Beckett and apologists like you. Yes, Mr. Beckett you get paid to get outs, but when you don't get them ...
    Posted by pschuller[/QUOTE]

I said all I care about is if he pitches well and helps the team win.  Can you clarify how that makes me an "apologist?" The man had a 2.89 ERA last year, made 30 starts, had a WHIP of 1.03 and BAA of only .211.  He got his outs last year.  

So far this year he isn't as good: 4.38 / 1.38 / .251.  It is early enough, his numbers aren't that bad and he's given his team every opportunity to win 6 of the 8 games he's started so I'll withhold judgement for now.  He might earn his salary and he might not.  We will have to see.  All the other stuff is just info-tainment.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : How could a Major League Pitcher not think that 3MPH is significant?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

Ask Greg Maddux. He routinely threw 87-89 MPH FBs.
    It's not speed, it's location, location, location!!!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

First of all, less than three years left of his contract, it is a long way to go to worry about if Beckett is going to leave Boston or not.

Right now I just hope he have a great year this year where he will more likely to remain as a Sox for next season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : That part is very true. I'm far from a media basher -- it gets way overblwon --but in this he hands them just enough. There's enough truth in the criticism of him. If he had a more public/media-friendly attitude, he'd be cut some slack. But he can come across as a p rick at times, so it fullspeed ahead with both barrells (to mix metaphors). He brings some of it on himself -- the golf outing for example was just plain stupid -- because of his stubborness. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]I agree. Beckett on one hand is a very stand up guy in that he will say after a bad outing that he stunk and he never uses injuries as an excuse.

OTOH his "kiss my rear" reaction to the chicken and beer and the golf outing are like honey for the flies.

It was interesting that at the same time he was being quite truculent about his "day off golf outing" after his horrid Fenway appearance, when asked whether his being booed had to do with the team's struggles or were aimed at him, he responded that it was not the team's performance saying, " I sucked, smart fans".

The guy is a paradox IMO because in many ways he has this very accountable side of him about his in game performance, but anything that remotely leaves those boundaries and he can become defensive.

Sadly he was the RS best starter by a long shot last year and with the exception of his two super stinkers he has been good this year. So for me I prefer to focus on that factor and not the inevitable noise that will accompany every Beckett sound bite probably for the balance of his career here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : I agree. Beckett on one hand is a very stand up guy in that he will say after a bad outing that he stunk and he never uses injuries as an excuse. OTOH his "kiss my rear" reaction to the chicken and beer and the golf outing are like honey for the flies. It was interesting that at the same time he was being quite truculent about his "day off golf outing" after his horrid Fenway appearance, when asked whether his being booed had to do with the team's struggles or were aimed at him, he responded that it was not the team's performance saying, " I sucked, smart fans". The guy is a paradox IMO because in many ways he has this very accountable side of him about his in game performance, but anything that remotely leaves those boundaries and he can become defensive. Sadly he was the RS best starter by a long shot last year and with the exception of his two super stinkers he has been good this year. So for me I prefer to focus on that factor and not the inevitable noise that will accompany every Beckett sound bite probably for the balance of his career here.
    Yup. Beckett takes full responsibility for the work he is paid to do. The other stuff is daytime TV drama.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

this may shock you but i actually agree with beckett....he's 32, he's not throwing as hard he was at 22...so what? what counts is how he mixes up his pitches and of course how hard he trains/desires to do well....trust me it is not his arm we should worry about...and he has been our best starter since 2011...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The point is that going from 95 to 92 is only sustainable when he's got his other 2 best pitches - the 12-6 curve and the 2 seemer - those pitches are rarely there today.....Now it's 90-92 mixed in with cutters and it just doesn't seem sustainable......it's the same route Pedro took after his major injury (2001) and he was no longer the same pitcher.  He was able to get a few more good (not Pedro-type seasons though) seasons out of it and then he fell off the table...That coupled with Beckett's tude is what concerns me most.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

[QUOTE]The point is that going from 95 to 92 is only sustainable when he's got his other 2 best pitches - the 12-6 curve and the 2 seemer - those pitches are rarely there today.....Now it's 90-92 mixed in with cutters and it just doesn't seem sustainable......it's the same route Pedro took after his major injury (2001) and he was no longer the same pitcher.  He was able to get a few more good (not Pedro-type seasons though) seasons out of it and then he fell off the table...That coupled with Beckett's tude is what concerns me most.
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]If 2012,13 and 14 are like 2011 personally I'd be very happy with contract.

And how much of his "tude" is manufactured media BS? One of the great urban myths has to be that somehow Josh Beckett and not the rest of the pitful starting pitching last September took down the Boston Red Sox.    

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett: “... every start I have got to answer questions about my velocity... I thought I get paid to get outs,” : If 2012,13 and 14 are like 2011 personally I'd be very happy with contract. And how much of his "tude" is manufactured media BS? One of the great urban myths has to be that somehow Josh Beckett and not the rest of the pitful starting pitching last September took down the Boston Red Sox.    

OK....but I still think it's a bad contract.

How is it a myth?  The pitching did kill our playoff run last year.

Sept:

Lester - 6 starts and only 1 good one to go w/ a 5 1/2 ERA?

Beckett - 4 Starts and 3 stinkers - his best start was 6 IP against 3 ER...ERA also @ 5/12

Lackey - 4 starts - 3 complete bombs (ER - 6, 5, 2 - only 5IP, 8, 3) against 1 QS with an ERA NORTH of NINE, that is a 9, again NINE.......

Wakefield - 4 starts and not one QS - 5IP/4ER, 6IP/5ER, 5IP/2ER, 4IP/3ER

The LEGEND LIVES ON!!!!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts