Beckett and the Texas Boys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Beckett and the Texas Boys

In Response to Re: Beckett and the Texas Boys:
    [QUOTE]I am wondering if Tek needs to have that "C" Stripped off from his uni?
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

He absolutely does. He shouldn't even be back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

a coach having to depend on other players to discipline wayward jerks is pathetic....weak

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

You could argue that both he and Wake should have been gone after the 2008 season.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

[QUOTE]a coach having to depend on other players to discipline wayward jerks is pathetic....weak
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

That's why I'd love to have Fisk in the dugout.

But it does help to have players help.  I mean, the manager can't be watching 25 guys all the time.  Remember, Schilling schooling Manny in 2004?  Well, Beckett ain't no Schilling.  Or remember Don Baylor in 86?  I just think the perfect storm was brewing - the Texas pitching click.....Wake and Tek probably more concerned about their retirement funds and getting into the Sox Hall of Fame than the team today, Crawford trying to figure out if he should place his money in Switzerland or in Panama, Gonzalez worried about how rain outs will affect his travel schedule, etc etc etc

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MichFan. Show MichFan's posts

This has to be one of the biggest reasons Francona was let go.  He could not control some prima donas and they ruined the team.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]I wish you jerks would stop using the word "cancer," it is not a pleasent word and has probably taken the life of someone each of us has known.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

jerks isn't pleasant either

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnnyboy9. Show johnnyboy9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett and the Texas Boys : That's why I'd love to have Fisk in the dugout. But it does help to have players help.  I mean, the manager can't be watching 25 guys all the time.  Remember, Schilling schooling Manny in 2004?  Well, Beckett ain't no Schilling.  Or remember Don Baylor in 86?  I just think the perfect storm was brewing - the Texas pitching click.....Wake and Tek probably more concerned about their retirement funds and getting into the Sox Hall of Fame than the team today, Crawford trying to figure out if he should place his money in Switzerland or in Panama, Gonzalez worried about how rain outs will affect his travel schedule, etc etc etc
    Posted by andrewmitch[/QUOTE]

hall of fame? i am sure they both have enough money in their pocket for the admission

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

"On WEEI, Francona essentially said that it wasn't the beer drinking per se since that can happen on a strong team, but it was that the veterans were not self policing when it mattered; when he and the team needed them... "

I'd like to expand on this truth with my own thoughts, and I figured this thread is as good as any to do it.  

Since the collpase, I have heard a number of people make comments like, "Drinking beer?  So what?  They're adults, they can do whatever they want."  Those people just don't get it.  It has nothing to do with the "rightness/wrongness" of drinking alcohol.  It's the fact that a private clique decided to kick back and get tipsy during games while everyone else was on the bench supporting the team.

I'd like to make an analogy that might make this clearer to the "so what" crowd.  Imagine if it wasn't "scandalous" alcohol that was being partaken in, but rather eating nachos and playing videogames.  And imagine it wasn't some popular "good old boy" like Beckett doing this, but rather someone who isn't popular:  Dice-K.

Okay, so try to imagine this.  Imagine if in the years before he had to get Tommy John surgery, Dice K didn't sit on the bench to support the team.  Instead, on his non-start days, he'd sneak off to the clubhouse all by himself (or maybe even with his Japanese translator pal), during games, to eat nachos and play videogames.  All by himself up there in the clubhouse.  During games while the rest of the team was in the dugout.

Would people understand the problem then?  Would they say "so what?" or would they go, "I want this [Japanese epithet] off my team!"  Additionally, imagine if Dice-K gained like 20 pounds during the season and his performance obviously suffered for it. 

Take the "good old boy" factor from the scenario and it's easy to see why this is something fans should be ticked off by.

Also, to vent further, how non-manly could any of those guys in the clique be to just slink away after all the media frenzy?  After failing down the stretch run; after Francona was let go/quit, all kinds of clubhouse insiders, including management, have confirmed this beer thing was happening, and not one of those swaggering straight-shootin "leaders" could find the sack within themselves to even discuss it with the media.  Or even acknowledge the story.  Or even apologize to the fans.  (Or if they were completely innocent, to shed light on things.)  Personally, while this whole story made me lose respect for guys like Beckett and Lester, their lack of follow-through has made me lose even more.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett and the Texas Boys : Great post.  This is all 1 person, hiding behind an online screen name, speculating. 
    Posted by Thesemenarecowards[/QUOTE]

It's obvious by the way the Yanks and Rays played in the PS our team had a great chance this season to make the WS with a focused club but we blew it.  Let things take course before making accusations that can't be validated.  No doubt we had more problems than just injuries but hopefully they all get addressed so we never need to go through this again.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DayToDay. Show DayToDay's posts

"I guess you all forgot about the Jack the Idiots all drank in the playoffs.

And if you think that only the RS have players who when they are not playing that day having a beer or other in the clubhouse IMHO you are walking around in a wonderland."

I don't think the above quote was a great post.  As I tried to explain, it's not about the fact that they were drinking alcohol.  Yeah, the "Idiots" drank together.  But it wasn't habitual, and it was done as a bonding experience.  It wasn't done during game time as a private clique while the rest of the team was busting their butts.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, just change the "beer" to "eating nachos and playing videogames" and change the good-old Texan offenders to "Dice-K," and suddenly it doesn't look so cool anymore.

"Let things take course before making accusations that can't be validated.  No doubt we had more problems than just injuries but hopefully they all get addressed so we never need to go through this again."

In my opinion, these two sentiments seem to be at odds with one another.  We can't look the other way when something obviously wrong happened and expect that problem to get addressed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]"I guess you all forgot about the Jack the Idiots all drank in the playoffs. And if you think that only the RS have players who when they are not playing that day having a beer or other in the clubhouse IMHO you are walking around in a wonderland." I don't think the above quote was a great post.  As I tried to explain, it's not about the fact that they were drinking alcohol.  Yeah, the "Idiots" drank together.  But it wasn't habitual, and it was done as a bonding experience.  It wasn't done during game time as a private clique while the rest of the team was busting their butts.  As I mentioned in my earlier post, just change the "beer" to "eating nachos and playing videogames" and change the good-old Texan offenders to "Dice-K," and suddenly it doesn't look so cool anymore. "Let things take course before making accusations that can't be validated.  No doubt we had more problems than just injuries but hopefully they all get addressed so we never need to go through this again." In my opinion, these two sentiments seem to be at odds with one another.  We can't look the other way when something obviously wrong happened and expect that problem to get addressed.
    Posted by DayToDay[/QUOTE]

At the moment everyone including writers, fans etc. have made accusations that have yet to be proven, including drinking in the clubhouse and who may or may not be involved. 
    Everything will come out of the woods, just give it time without making assumptions is all I meant.  I'm sure they will be addressed quickly and accordingly.  Look at what was said about Jacoby all last season and what he accomplished.  The same is being said about CC this season after a half year of bad play.  The second half was close to his norm.  Why not pick on Youk for the season he had and not being in our pennant race the last two seasons? 

What we do know:
    ... Jacoby proved all the nonsense talk wrong as I hope CC does
    ... Lackey is a horrible pitcher and has an attitude we don't need
    ... Guys like Beckett definitely appeared out of shape
    ... Injuries in the past two years are worth looking into further
    ... Curt Young should be looked at very closely
    ... Youk will not hold up long as a 3B
    ... We need additions to the team in various areas

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

This ADG character really starts many crazy threads. What surprises me if how many respond to such nonsense.