1. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap

Francona gone
    Wake gone
    Tek gone
    JD Drew gone
    Lackey gone

Who is left from the all ingrate team of 2011

The Big Daddy himself....beer spigot Beckett....

Ben is cleaning house and Josh B will not be coming downstairs for spring training breakfest to paraphase howie carr...

good riddance to bad trash

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Re: Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap

I'm not a betting person, but if I were I'd bet a large sum that Josh Beckett will be in the Red Sox starting rotation come Opening Day despite his flaws.

The Red Sox simply aren't in a position to shed starting pitchers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

Lackey is having surgery- not gone.
    And honestly, will you miss Drew, Wakefield, or Tek?  Francona?

Beckett will be pitching for the Sox in 2012.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

In Response to Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap:
    [QUOTE]Francona gone Wake gone Tek gone JD Drew gone Lackey gone Who is left from the all ingrate team of 2011 The Big Daddy himself....beer spigot Beckett.... Ben is cleaning house and Josh B will not be coming downstairs for spring training breakfest to paraphase howie carr... good riddance to bad trash
    Posted by georom4[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I love the way fans here portray Wakefield like he was a cancer to the team. If he was a cancer, the line for chemotherapy was a helluva a long one on Sox.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In Response to Re: Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap:
    [QUOTE]I love the way fans here portray Wakefield like he was a cancer to the team. If he was a cancer, the line for chemotherapy was a helluva a long one on Sox.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

It's disgusting.  On every level Wakes has been a model player and person:

• A solid performer for pushing 20 years, with some huge peaks and the expected nadirs from a knuckleball pitcher;
    • Would have long since passed the parochial Young/Clemens Red Sox win total had he been used correctly throughout his career;
    • Has always been willing to take one for the team, whether being asked to be a closer (!) or to take a beating to preserve the bullpen;
    • Has taken huge hometown discounts for years;
    • ...yet still there are (anonymous, of course) agressive bullies that can't understand that his absolute 2011 performance (for a 6/7 SP) was absolutely fine, and his relative (i.e. low salary) 2011 performance was excellent.

Queue the pinheads.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]Francona gone Wake gone Tek gone JD Drew gone Lackey gone Who is left from the all ingrate team of 2011 The Big Daddy himself....beer spigot Beckett.... Ben is cleaning house and Josh B will not be coming downstairs for spring training breakfest to paraphase howie carr... good riddance to bad trash

Would you bet $50 on it, straight up?  I don't think so.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap :
    Posted by UticaClub[/QUOTE]

pike, I gotta hand it to you. that's funny as heck.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Unlikely geo. My guess is he'll be starting game two at Detroit.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Beer drinking didn't cause the collapse, apparently it's been accepting behavior for some time. I don't like to play the blame game and point fingers and I'll judge Beckett more by how he responds next year. Which he will have a chance to do because he will start game 1 or2 of the season.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

I don't know why Yazzer, Babe, Law, GreenApplesplatter and GickChum finally hung up their trolling jock straps and called it quits but I think that Georom should give it serious consideration. His act is old, boring, and repetitive.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Wanna make a friendly tag bet on whether he is on the roster in 2012?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

joey..absolutely....he will be moved in 2012

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm constantly baffled by off-season moves, but this would surprise me. Which isn't to say it won't happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]joey..absolutely....he will be moved in 2012

I say he's on the roster on 4/1/12.  Loser adds a tag that says the other guy is smarter.  Agree?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Where in your list is "Ben cleaning house?"

Francona walked
    Wake not settled
    Drew contract ended
    Lackey on DL

Tek is probably gone- the only one of the 5 Ben has had the slightest thing to do with.

2 things to bet on in the next 2 seasons:

1.Beckett stays
    2. Ellsbury runs away

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Where has it been stated for certain that those players are "gone"?  Have they signed elsewhere or announced retirement, etc?  Guess I missed something somewhere...

As for Beckett, don't see how he wouldn't be on the roster, but also wouldn't surprise me to learn he would like to be traded.  At this point, the chicken and beer legacy has gotten pretty far out of control.  Wish everybody could let it go, since perpetuating it isn't going serve any positive purpose for Beckett or the team. 

Looking forward to 2012 and expecting a re-energized clubhouse.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Beckett is going to have a fantastic year.  Last year was very strong.  this year is going to be stronger:  same stuff, same knowledge, new chip on shoulder.  Mark it down:  Beckett shuts all you idiots up who buy into this chickengate nonsense.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

last year was not strong - it was weak by the standards held by an Ace. Schilling in a normal "stron" year would have walked circles around Beckett (big circles).

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]last year was not strong - it was weak by the standards held by an Ace. Schilling in a normal "stron" year would have walked circles around Beckett (big circles).
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

OK.  Schilling is one of the greatest pitchers of his generation, arguably of all-time.  Ace is an arbitrary designation that we have no statistical basis for.  And, so what?  If Beckett has a better year than last year (my only assertion, never said anything about ace or schilling), wouldn't you be happy with that?  If he wins 15+, has a sub 2.9 era, a WHIP aorund 1.0, I, personally, will be happy with that season, even if no one ever mentions the word ace or Schilling when critiquing it. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Beckett is toast...say your good-byes asap : I say he's on the roster on 4/1/12.  Loser adds a tag that says the other guy is smarter.  Agree?
    Posted by Joebreidey[/QUOTE]

Hold on there, Joe!  The tag should be, "Those bootlickers were right!" if Beckett stays, and "OFFICIAL BOOTLICKER," if Beckett is gone. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I wish we had 5 "bootlickers" in our rotation next year.

Beckett was "an ace" for the Marlins in the 2003 playoffs.

5 GS
    43 IP
    10 ER
    21 Hits
    47 Ks
    12 BB

Beckett was "an ace: for the Soxe in the 2007 playoffs.

4 GS
    4 wins 
    30 IP
    4 ER
    19 Hits
    35 Ks
    2 BB

He was on pace to becoming one of the alltime best playoff pitchers of all time. He was fat then too. He probably drank beers in the clubhouse then too. I'm a firm believer in the saying "a leopard can't change his spots."

FYI:
    Beckett's playoffs in 2008 & 2009 (4GS, 1-1, 21 IP, 28 Hits, 17K, 7 BB)

I think it's lame to pin the collapse of 2011 on a guy drinking beer during a few or his off-games. Yeah, it wasn't the right thing to do, or the right message to send, but making him the target of these attacks is overdoing it. We won't get anyone in return for Josh that I'd trust more in the 2012 playoffs. His salary alone will make sure of that. If you guys are willing to write off 2012, and shoot for 2013 or beyond, then maybe trading Beckett and Jacoby for prospects might make some sense, but that's not what I'm hearing here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

What team out there is willing to take on Beckett's contract ?
    Even if his weight and attitude issues change, teams have their pitching rotations mostly set and won't take a chance on his money.
    He's in a Sox uniform for the duration of his contract.

4 years/$68M (2011-14)
    • signed extension with Boston 4/5/10
    • $5M signing bonus
    • 11:$15.75M, 12:$15.75M, 13:$15.75M, 14:$15.75M

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Georom could you add a quick Y or N survey:

Do you want Beckett back for the 2012 season?  Yes
                                                                       No
    My vote is No. 

I would rather we come in 4 th than have him back. He and Bobby V will clash; it will be a bad scene. Even if we trade him for prospects; he's not bigger than the team. This may be just what the team needs to rally around.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Moon, I agree with you about 55 % of the time however the three post season series' you mentioned were before he signed his "big" contract. He's got three more years before he has to be the old hungry Beckett. If you moved him to Texas, the Nat's, Marlin's, the Braves, the Phil's or even the Astros it would probably be an opportunity to get the juices flowing again. A fresh start-the clubhouse thing behind him.

I don't think we would have to settle for just prospects we might be able to get a #4 or #5 and a prospect or two--I would be happy with that.